“Beautiful and relaxing getaway resort” 5 of 5 stars

Banyan Tree Mayakoba
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Carretera Federal, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #5 of 199 hotels in Playa del Carmen
Boston
“Beautiful and relaxing getaway resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

Beautiful architecture, very good service, and tremendous food. Yes, I wish the beach were a bit more beautiful and that there was a pool for adults (kids used both pools at the resort), but it was tremendous nonetheless. We spent more time at the main lobby area where they had many places to spend the day and relax by yourself. The food at all the restaurants was excellent. The rooms were tremendous, and nicely kept. The bikes to get around the grounds were a nice touch.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
BTGroup, General Manager at Banyan Tree Mayakoba, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Dear AmanJunkieBoston,

Thank you very much for your review, it is of value for me and all the associates of Banyan Tree Mayakoba.

To be described “tremendous” for our food, services and our amazing villas is an honor for us. I am very thankful for this wonderful compliment.
Our hotel is a place to calm down, to enjoy the beautiful environment and a sanctuary for the senses for all of our guests. Driving around with the bicycles and looking at this wonderful nature is a precious part of our resort.

Your comment about the beach and the pool is very important to us. We want to offer you the nicest and most relaxing place for your vacation and we will do our best to achieve it during your next stay.

We are looking forward to see you at our resort.

996 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
Austin, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

We we made plans to return to Playa del Carmen, the only place we could ever think to stay was the Banyan Tree Mayakoba after our initial visit in August.

The resort this time was full and my only criticism would be the time it took for some of the services due to the occupancy of the hotel. The buggy service and the in-room dining sometimes took some time however, it was never annoyingly late to where it became a problem.

All in all, this is still the best hotel my wife and I have ever stayed at. Again, the attention to detail, the rooms, the spa, the products.....Everything is spectacular! Needless to sy, we will be going back again and highly recommend this property!

Room Tip: Depending on how many people are traveling with you, the villas are the way to go! The two BR are f...
Dear clay3c,

It is an honor for me to read that our hotel is your preferred place to be! Thank you very much for this big compliment and appreciation in the name of all our associates.

Depending on the occupation it can get a little bit busy at our resort; I am sorry for the delays. We are working hard to improve our service delivery and we hope at your next stay we will be able to meet your expectations again.

Please let me know if you need any kind of assistance for the scheduling of your next stay. My whole team is looking forward to welcome you back in our resort.

A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

Double check your homes before the client arrive. Because when we arrive some of the thing's Didn't work. (Coffee maker, The door of the bath-room didn't close. The beth was very noise, we couldn't control the temperature of the air conditioning system). I also recommend you, that the mades shouldn't leave the towels and trash outside the house it doesn't look nice in such a beautiful environment. Other than that I really enjoy the place.

Review collected in partnership with BanyanTree.com

Dear visitor,

Thank you very much for sharing your comments on this website. I`m very thankful that you inform us about the problems you experienced upon arrival. Our ambition is to give our guests exceptional service from the beginning till the end of their stay. I will make sure that the information is shared with the corresponding departments of our resort and that the same will not come up again.
I am happy to read that you had a wonderful time at our hotel.
It was an honor for me and my team to have you as a guest at Banyan Tree Mayakoba. Please let me know before you come back to our resort to assist you with any requirements before and during your stay.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

Traveled with my wife, 2.5 yr old daughter and in-laws - had 2 courtyard villas (received an upgrade from garden villas when I booked). Stayed for 7 nights.

Rooms - The rooms are spacious, with a substantial outdoor area. Nice pool and hot tub, though the pool is unheated so might be a bit chilly for some, though my daughter loved it. Separate living room across the courtyard was great for extra space and in-room dining. The property is quite spacious, with villas spread out over the compound.. there will be some walking involved unless you want to constantly call for a golf cart (though this was usually pretty quick). Very quiet, could not hear anyone else outside the villa.

Facilities - Beach was nice, has a pool there as well as a restaurant, very attentive staff, there is a main pool and a kiddie pool near the main building. Main building houses a couple restaurants as well as a rooftop bar, the spa, etc.

Restaurants - the breakfast buffets at Oriente are excellent, probably the best breakfast buffets this side of uber-luxury resorts in Asia... wide selection of traditional, Mexican, and Thai specialties. Did not try the adults-only restaurant Tamarind. Went to Saffron, the thai option - was excellent. Sands, the beach restaurant is good as well.

Mayakoba - The nice option staying at the Banyan Tree, Rosewood or Fairmont is that you can shuttle between the resorts and use their facilities and eat at their restaurants and they can all bill back to the Banyan Tree, so no need to carry around cash/cards.. the restaurants at the Rosewood are excellent, though at their beachfront Mexican restaurant, Punta Bonita, be prepared to have a long meal, their pacing was a bit odd, had dinner and lunch and the odd pacing occurred for both meals. The free transfers between resorts is a great opportunity to broaden the on-site dining options. Would recommend the Rosewood restaurants over the Fairmont, though the Fairmont options are totally decent, and a touch cheaper.

Kids - This is a pretty family friendly place, there is a kids club area by the beach pool, the staff gets to know your child by name, plenty of pool areas... though the resort is large, so kids are not overrunning the place by any means... basically if you're not into kids at all, you may want to consider somewhere else, but if you don't mind them or have some of your own, I definitely would recommend this as a kid-friendly place. My daughter loved it, especially chocolate croissants at breakfast.

Overall value - The rooms are a good value, restaurants are typical resort pricing (similar to middle-high end NYC pricing). Much better value than staying at the Rosewood, especially since you can patronize their resort. Rosewood is almost 2x cost, for perhaps a minor step up in refinement.. not worth the extra in my opinion

Room Tip: Get the upgrade to the courtyard villas if you can, adds substantial space over the garden villa
Dear jma5000

The kind review that you have left on this website is very welcomed by me and all the Banyan Tree Mayakoba associates. I feel happy to read that you and your family have had a nice experience.

It will be just wonderful to welcome you and your family member back to this hotel.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

I visited for a short stay and had an amazing time at the Banyan Tree Mayakoba. It is part of a massive complex of three hotels, but the Asian design and care for nature gives you a very private and unique experience.

I stayed with my boyfriend in a Garden Villa. It was secluded, with a private swimming pool and garden, a fantastic bathroom with an amazing outdoor bathtub. It was super-romantic experience. I would totally do it again.

The Asian-focus on design, service, and nature makes this property very special for a high end hotel.

My only criticism is that the hotel lacks an adult only pool by the beach. There were enough kids in the beach pool to keep us away from it. The rest of the property is so nice and relaxing that you never again notice them.

A great hotel for a special getaway. Don't miss it!!

Room Tip: Garden Villa 112 was great for a couple. Very private and intimate.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear DanielM1972,

It was a pleasure for us to have you as a guest and to make you experience a romantic and relaxing vacation. We have shared your comments with our staff and they are happy to know that their efforts have been recognized.

I hope that you will come back soon to visit the Banyan Tree Mayakoba. If there would be anything that I can assist you for your next stay, please let me know.

Geneva, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Is this a beautiful property-stunning. But this is not what makes it exceptional. Its the service. I have rarely seen a staff (from bellhop, cleaning, waiters, managers etc) so efficient friendly and caring as here. And I have never had that experience in Mexico. It was a pleasure!!! As a romantic getaway - it's amazing. I stayed both at the beach and on the Lagoon but even though cheaper I preferred the Lagoon -lush and completely private.
Lighting could be better. I give very high marks to the management that has somehow ensured that the staff present the best of Mexico and of Banyan

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with BanyanTree.com

Dear visitor of Banyan Tree Mayakoba,

Thank you very much for your comments regarding your stay at our resort. I`m happy to read that our employees made your trip so special. Their kindness and motivation is a valuable input giving an unforgettable memory and is the basis of a beautiful experience.

It would be a pleasure for us to welcome you soon at our resort.

Bern, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

We had chosen Banyan Tree once again, this time Mayakoba to celebrate our 30st anniversary and we absolutely did not get disappointed. From the beginning of our 14 night stay to the end, we got pampered and all the servants (from reception, restaurants, call center, beach boy, buggy driver, cleaning equippe, maintenance) we only got their best. We were fortunate to stay at a Spa Pool Villa, and relaxed in all the places available. Coming from Europe we are not used having the facilities of a pool and sundeck and enjoyed the early morning or late evening hours for a swim in the private pool.

Rooms: Big nicely and warm furnished, not modern, that is correct, but rustical with a mexican/asian touch, thus giving you the feeling of cozyness and being welcomed.

Check-in/check-out procedure: very efficient and smooth.

Buggy Service: they picked us up within 5-10 min. after the call. Though there was a huge wedding going on, we never had to wait too long for a buggy ride.
Besides, most of the rooms are within walking distance to the lobby and breakfast area. Or walking back from Saffron to the room only takes you 15 min. max.

Restaurants: all the restaurants are absolutely clean, and very inviting.
The breakfast choice in the Oriente was absolutely amazing. The Tamarind and Saffron had their prices, but considering one is staying in a 5* star hotel you also expect a certain environment at night and service, and that was absolutely given. The prices of the nicely presented food in fact, are similar to the once we pay in Switzerland. The wine was quite expensive, but from what we heard from other parties that we had met on tours, is that wine offered in hotels in Mexico are in general expensive. So we shifted our alcoholic preference and visited the bar and enjoyed a glass of cocktail instead. And if you felt, you needed more light to read the menue and to sign the check, no problem just ask for a tourch or use your torch ap on your mobile.
Beach: wonderful, sugar like long beach to stroll on. Unfortunately the weather was not always perfect, and so the amazing carribean sea colours were missing and a lot of waste got washed ashore (plastic cups, bottles, shoes whatever that had been thrown over ship out there somewhere). Perhaps during bad days and high tide the cleaning frequency should be increased.
Eco-tour: offered by Banyan Tree is a must, you might be seing Alex the crocodile, and many other species fliying species.

As mentioned before, there was a huge wedding going on with approx. 250 guests, and so one night the noise level was quite high. We tried to escape, dinner at Saffron, and stayed in the room with closed windows at night and it did not bother us. But most probabely it would have been slighly different, if we had only spend a couple of days at this resort.
We are definitely looking forward to visiting Banyan Tree again. Thank you for giving us such a nice room and great time.

Room Tip: Spa Villa Rooms are 701 to 708 and definitely all great.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Banyan Tree Mayakoba? Share your experiences!