“5 Days in Paradise” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 199 hotels in Playa del Carmen
Dallas, Texas
“5 Days in Paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

Recently got back from an amazing vacation at the Banyan Tree Mayakoba. We were a group of five, and we were fortunate enough to be in a 3br beachfront villa (not that the rest of the resort looked any less enticing). It was one of the most fantastic vacations I've ever had. The accommodations, facilities and service at this resort are absolutely top-notch. But the spa (I had a 90 minute Thai massage) was out of this world! The treatment rooms, much like everything else at the Banyan Tree, are tastefully decorated in a style that makes you relax right away. My therapist was absolutely incredible, and I came out feeling like a new man.

This place is ideal for a group of friends, for a family, or for couples. The villas lend themselves very well to whatever your vacation dynamic. Not the cheapest resort in the world, but worth every penny. I would definitely go back!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
BTGroup, Room Division Manager at Banyan Tree Mayakoba, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Dear Trip Advisor User

Thank you very much for your writing a message on trip advisor, and for staying with us. It is a pleasure to read that you enjoyed your stay, and that you left with pleasant memories.

Looking forward to welcome you in the near future,

Room Division Manager

991 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

what a wonderful experience. This is really heaven on earth ! Much better than banyan tree Bangkok. Nice , clean , friendly and an awesome environment. If you are looking for a relaxing holiday , this is the place to be ! I think we were the first Belgian customers and we will advice this hotel to all Belgians ! Tamarind restaurant is our favorite. What a kind of taste ! Every little detail is paid attention to. Unforgettable. We will surely come back.

Review collected in partnership with BanyanTree.com

BTGroup, Rooms Division Manager at Banyan Tree Mayakoba, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Dear Viajero de BanyanTree.com

On behalf of the Banyan Tree Mayakoba family, I would like to thank you for taking the time to display your comments following your stay with us.

I was very happy to read that the villa was providing you with more comfort than expected. And that you found our ambiance relaxing.

We do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the resort and make your stay nothing but a pleasurable experience again.

Best Regards,

Rooms Division Manager
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012 via mobile

There is no place like this in the world!
The best place for a romantic moment to conquer or win back your love!
The food is excellent and not let them give you a treatment at the spa for 3 hours.
If you can, ask to give you the villa 703

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
BTGroup, Rooms Division manager at Banyan Tree Mayakoba, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Dear Moysalame

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience and to share them with other readers. We are delighted that you enjoyed the facilities and services we provide.

Hoping to welcome you back soon,

Best regards,

Rooms Division manager
Norwalk, Connecticut, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

My husband and I just returned from a 5 day stay, our first trip without our young children, and it was a wonderful escape from the regular pace of our lives. We are experienced with high expectations, and in most regards they were met, however the few areas in which they were not could use improvement.

We selected Banyan Tree based on many criteria, including privacy of rooms, not being geared towards children, quality of dining, and service reputation. We found our room to be wonderful - not too far from the restaurants (Sands excluded, as it is down by the beach), very private, and great amenities. That said, I did find it necessary to put a towel down on the couch in the living room area - the cushions were stained with who-knows-what (and I don't want to imagine).

Our chief complaints are centered around the food and beverage program at the resort. First off, we believe that a resort in Mexico should have Mexican food available for dinner every day, and Banyan Tree does not. After a very poor lunch service at Sands on the day of our arrival (40+ minutes to receive salad and ceviche appetizers) and being told it was caused by a new menu being rolled out, we didn't want to be guinea pigs twice in one day and decided we would save the Mexican dinner for the last night. We were quite upset upon learning mid-day on our last day that Sands was not going to be open that night, and then were even more surprised that it is closed most nights. We then scrabbled to arrange the in-room Mexican BBQ, which while a wonderful experience, is extremely expensive, especially since we had already paid for the full board meal plan and were then paying more than the difference between the meal plan and BBQ price, which seems greedy since we were forced to do it to get Mexican food at a resort in Mexico.

We also found the room service experience to be lacking in terms of speed of delivery. We ordered a pot of decaf and a pot of regular coffee daily, usually around 5:30 am, and were disappointed with the 30+ minutes it took to have it delivered (especially since it is French press, which takes mere minutes...and the coffee is wonderful, just not the speed with which I was being allowed to get it in me!). The in-room espresso machine is lovely, we just prefer a big pot of coffee, and as a half-caff drinker an espresso machine is not the most useful

At Tamarind, we were surprised to find it's not really Mediterranean at all. The service is very good, and the food is better than average for a resort (although I was served crunchy risotto). The "textured lemon pie" may be a lifetime favorite dessert, but it is actually a deconstructed lemon pie. We would have been very happy if there was more Mediterranean fare on the menu.

Saffron was good -again the service was excellent, but if you like to see your food you can't dine outside because they haven't yet figured out to to light the outdoor dining area. We kept hearing conversations about spiciness - lots of servers expressing that things could be toned down, etc., but my husband is a major fan of big heat, and even when he requested his food to be spicy it was not. It seemed like too many complaints about the heat level has caused a shift too far in the opposite direction. I am not a huge Thai food eater, but enjoyed what we ordered. The desserts were my least favorite among the restaurants.

As many others have stated, the Oriente breakfast is A+ awesome! A great selection, wonderful pastries, to-die-for granola - I could eat there three meals a day if they would have let me. We did find 7am to be a late start for breakfast (we are early risers and also like to work out in the morning), and were slightly annoyed to have to wait for coffee and juice because the staff meeting was still going on after 7, but they were very responsive when we made note of this service-slip (although it happened 2/3 of the time we dined there)

The Ixchel breakfast on the boat was a magnificent experience. The same wonderful food as at Oriente (with nearly equal selection of pastries, granola, fruit, etc) in a truly unique presentation. As a photo-hobbyist it was very cool to be able to lounge on the front of the boat with my mimosa and take in (and take photos of) the amazing birds, flora, and even a croc! I'm not sure I would have wanted to do this at 11am (too hot), but at 9am it was one of my favorite vacation experiences ever.

The spa is certainly world class. My husband and I got different treatments in the same room which is rarely "allowed" at other spas, and enabled us to get exactly what we wanted. I loved my Indian Head Massage, and the flexibility to get two massages for half the time so I could get a little taste of everything I wanted.

The gym is perfectly fine for even the biggest gym rat, and the resort is so spread out you can cover 4+ miles without leaving the grounds.

We found the wi-fi to be decent - it's wonderful that it's included, because if I was paying extra for it I would have been annoyed with it not working in-room on my phone (but it did work outside, so I sat by the pool to use it).

It is not really a beach resort - as others have noted - and most people will have to take a buggy down to the beach, but there is a pool and restaurant there so you can camp out for the day.

There were LOTS of very little kids around the resort, which while I didn't mind, would have probably been annoyed at if it were my honeymoon. And villas with the pool in the courtyard between the master bedroom and living room area would have made me have a coronary if trying to keep my toddlers safe since there would have been no way to keep them from falling/jumping in. I understand there are rooms with pools on the roof - definitely something to look in to if you want to bring little kids.

Overall, the service is exceptional. The Mexican food fiasco, long wait times for coffee, and lackluster menu at Tamarind are certainly things for the management to consider since they go a long way as dissatisfiers.

Review collected in partnership with BanyanTree.com

BTGroup, General Manager at Banyan Tree Mayakoba, responded to this review, November 22, 2012
Dear Jes P

I wish to thank you for the taking the time to write your detailed account about your recent stay at Banyan Tree Mayakoba hotel.

It is important for all of us to know where we have fulfilled your expectations and where we have the opportunity to improve; your feedback is of special value for us as it is helpful in detecting shortcomings in the operation.

Your comments are much appreciated.

We do look forward to your return visit, and I do hope you let me personally know when you are coming to ensure you have a flawless stay as you should have had it in the first place.

With best Regards,

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

We stayed in a 1 bed Garden Pool Villa for 7 nights on a Breakfast only basis. These villas are allegedly one of the nicest accommodation types at Banyan Tree & it was certainly a lovely sanctuary to return to at the end of the day. The down side was that our private pool was freezing cold and quite dirty, and the outdoor furniture was a bit tired, considering it's a 5 star resort.
If money is no object and you prefer to stay in-resort, Banyan Tree or Grand Velas down the road are the perfect hotels for you. If however you prefer to explore the country you're visiting and money is not a bottomless pit, this may not be the hotel for you!
On average a 2 course evening meal with one of the cheaper bottles of wine will set you back £130. A cocktail will cost you £15. If you are breakfast only, you are likely to spend £200-£250 a day on food and drink alone (depending on how much and what you drink). It will cost you £40 for a return taxi to Playa del Carmen. There are no restaurants, bars or shops within walking distance from the Mayakoba resort. Eating outside of the resort is a lot cheaper, even with the taxi fee!
Personally I wouldn't go to a luxury hotel in Playa del Carmen again, unless it was All Inclusive, but even then, I would hate to miss out on some of the great restaurants we visited outside of our resort. To mention a few; 'ComoComo' in Playa Del Carmen was reasonably priced, elegant and had great food & wine. The novelty restaurant 'Alux' which is in an underground cave was also amazing and reasonably priced. If you were all inclusive, you might miss these treats!

Dear Disco-cop

The whole Banyan Tree Mayakoba family thank you very much your feedback in regards to your experience with us.

I am glad to read that our facilities met your expectations and I do hope that our service delivery was up to your satisfaction.

Thank you for bringing your discomfort with the pool area to our attention, and we are going to review this subject.

We wish to be given the opportunity to provide you with memorable Banyan Tree experience soon again.

Best Regards,

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

My husband booked this for our honeymoon, this was suppose to be the last location of our trip around the world! I was hoping it was going to be 7 days of relaxing in the sun! This was more than i imagined! Absolutely FABULOUS!

Upon arrival we were greeted and taken to our villa which was one of the best villa's (located by the beach front) ISLA 806 .
The staff were so friendly! and were also so happy and helpful! The food was outstanding.. clean and well presented we didn't fall ill as expected in these parts of the world.

The only down sides we had were that our villa lights stopped working on the first day! and being on honeymoon that completely freaked me out.. the staff were efficient in fixing the problem, but it was disappointing they didn't do their checks before letting us in.

The pool was not cleaned as often as i liked, we went around late October 2011, so there were alot of mosquito's and bugs in the pool which was of putting.

Room service was amazing..the maids were very discreet an we were left a gift each night we stayed, pretty cute!

Be sure to try the thai green curry at the saffron, its LUSH! and sand beach club is perfect for lunch snacks!

Visit the local tourist attraction i think its called 5th avenue! there are great shops and LA PARILLA is a nice place to eat if you like mixed grills and hearty food! ask the resort to book you a cab, don't take your valuables as you will be walking into the heart of mexico!

Over all this experience was magical! i would recommend this to couples looking for a private relaxing location, no riff raff on the beach very luxurious ! Thank you Banyan tree for making our honeymoon complete!

Room Tip: Go for a villa closer to the beach we had ISLA 806, literally 1 min to the beach! they are more luxu...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear ItsAllAboutLuxury

We were glad to have welcome you at Banyan Tree Mayakoba during this very special event, and to be able to make it a wonderful experience. We do appreciate your gracious report regarding our hotel installations and our service as well.

We have taken note of the comments you made in regards to the pool. I thank you for taking the time to write your experience on this website, and hope to be able to welcome you back in the near future.

Remaining at your disposal,

Dallas, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

We just finished a 4-day stay at the spectacular Banyan Tree Mayakoba. We were 5 friends and we stayed at a 3 bedroom beachfront villa. The resort and the grounds are incredible and vast. The professional staff are always ready to drive you in golf carts from one place to another.
Our villa left us speechless - the epitome of luxury - huge 3 bedrooms with 3 baths, a private pool, hot-tub and a kitchenette. Needless to say this made for an amazing vacation.

The resort is so incredible but the best part is the spa.. the spa was beyond words. I've been to many beautiful facilities before and this one is nice, but the treatments are provided by Thai therapists in incredible private villas over the water. It was the best experience of the entire trip.

You will not regret staying here. We all agreed we should be planning our trip for next year.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, the villas on the beach have the best location as they provide private beach a...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear mandarinlover

It is a great pleasure to read your comments and wonderful to know you and your friends enjoyed your stay at Banyan Tree Mayakoba. Your gracious comments are very well appreciated. Thank you for sharing your experience with other readers

We do hope that we welcome you back to the resort in the near future.

Best regards,

Area General Manager

Been to Banyan Tree Mayakoba? Share your experiences!