“The best for a reason!” 5 of 5 stars

Banyan Tree Mayakoba
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Carretera Federal, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #5 of 199 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Munster, IN, USA
“The best for a reason!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2011

Just returned today from the Banyan Tree Mayakoba. I have done a fair amount of travel and this is the best place I have stayed. Why? service, accommodations, unique, private, tranquil, luxurious, etc.
Their were families here, but this is a fantastic place for couples to spend time with each other. This is a great place for a honeymoon, anniversary or any special occassion.
The reviews you read about this place are true! It will exceed your expectations.
We especially enjoyed Cesar and Alejandro at breakfast. They wait in the Oriente breakfast buffet. They were extremely personal and warmed our mornings. They remembered our names and always made us feel welcome. As many have mentioned the breakfast buffet is incredible. It had plentiful offerings of fresh fruit and juices, meats, cheeses, breads, mexican specialties, omlettes prepared to order, etc.
We dined at Sands at the beach for a late lunch. Open air, nice selection of foods, the most reasonably priced restaurant on property.
We also dined at Tamerind. The setting was very nice, but the food was amazing. My wife and I both had the carrot soup. I had lobster and she had scallops. I finished with the lemon pie. Everything was incredibly tasty.
We would finish our buffet every morning and take the 15 minute stroll down to the beach. The pool and beach setting was private and beautiful with great service.
We would walk back in the afternoon and relax in the very private pool and courtyard at our villa. (110)
I also want to mention Fransisco in reception. He was a delight. Quick with a smile and always willing to help with recommendations.
Take the boat to the beach once. Worth the trip, beautiful scenery.
The golf course looked challenging as well. I did not play on this trip though.
There is more to stay, but here are my Pro's and Con's (not really)
Pro's
- Great service - no one passes you without smiling and saying hello. It appears genuine. Either way, the staff has been well trained.
- Private, tranquil, and relaxing.
- Great Spa - my wife and I enjoyed a couples massage.
- Adequate work out facility
- Wifi included throughout the resort
- Private, uncrowded beach
- Fantastic restaurants
- There are more, but you get the idea.
Con's -
- It is expensive, but worth it if you can afford it.
- If you are looking for something where you walk out of your room and onto the beach, this probably isn't your property.
- If you like crowds and being around alot of people etc., not your place.

Room Tip: We liked 110. Garden Villa, close to the main building.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
BTMayakoba, Director General at Banyan Tree Mayakoba, responded to this review, January 2, 2012
Dear Joe_Munster

I appreciate that you have shared your gracious notes and impressions about your recent stay with us. I am happy to know that you had a pleasant stay and that we had gone beyond your expectations.

The fact that you had named some of our associates is very important to us, that is why we did forward your feedback to all of our department’s heads.

We definitively will look forward to welcome you again in the near future.

Kindest regards,

Area General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2011

Whatever you thought you knew about a resort...think again. The Banyan Tree is absolutely stunning. I think I might have had the best massage I've ever had in my life. And I love a massage! Would highly recommend for lovers.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Dear iloveshoes

On behalf of all the Banyan Tree Mayakoba family I want to thank you for your valuable comments. I am so glad to read that you had a wonderful time at our Spa.

Also, your recommendations to other Trip Advisor members are very much appreciated.

Kindest regards,

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2011

Hard to imagine more extraordinary accommodations. Every "villa" has its own pool and private courtyard, and no interior walls connect with your neighbor giving you complete privacy and quiet. Just check the pictures on their website.

The entire time we were there we continually marveled at the vision, the design execution, and the incomprehensible amount of money that went into building what is arguably the finest resort in North America - built in the middle of a swamp in Mexico. But this "swamp" is unlike any I've ever seen before. It is uniformly lush and green, with all the vegetation at a uniform height, and the water is crystal clear and pristine. The manicured quality of all the wild vegetation sometimes made it hard to determine where the landscaping ended and the wild swamp began. And the most amazing thing we noticed was the complete lack of bugs at the resort (in November).

Everything said about the high quality of service is true. An example of the attention paid to the customer occured during routine turndown service. My partner and I are both over 6' tall, and one of the guest robes was a small. I noticed the next day it got discretely changed to a large. Same was true with ice. (Why is it the more deluxe the resort the more involved it is to get ice?) When we ordered some upon our arrival, it came in a small insulated ice chest. Perfect - it lasted two days. The third day, upon returning from dinner, we were delighted to see it had been thoughtfully refilled.

Breakfast was a treat. Included with the room rate, the buffet menu changed daily with a wonderful variety of interesting dishes. Not once did I go to the omelet station - I can have standard eggs and bacon anywhere - but grazing the constantly changing, high quality array of food items was a great way to start the day. Regarding the other restaurants, the food and drink at the hotel is uniformly good, if rather pricey. Drinks are $15 each, but I must say, the Mai Tais at the Beach Club pool were abundantly sized and superb, nearly equaling the slightly drier original only available at Trader Vic's. Also, the Sands Restaurant at the Beach Club is terrific for light lunches. We ate there twice.

This is an amazing, unique place, unlike any I have ever encountered. Our stay there was magical. Before arriving, I read that many people never left the property once they arrived. i thought, how odd, with such a lively town nearby with so many restaurants, etc. But after being at the Banyan Tree Mayakoba I now understand why you never want to leave! (But we did leave to explore a bit, and enjoyed dinners in Playa and a trip to Tulum.)

Highly recommend this place. Spring for the extra $$$ it costs to stay here - it's worth it!

Room Tip: Rooms in the 400 and 500 series are on the north side and have outstanding privacy, plus are walking...
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2011

Went here with my husband for our one year wedding anniversary and it was fantastic! Our room was upgraded to a 2 bedroom villa and it was beautiful and spacious! I literally could jump into our private pool from the bedroom.
Bikes are available for rental to get around the property or you can call for transportation which arrives promptly.
The service there was incredible! Everyone was well mannered, informative, well groomed, and spoke english and spanish fluently.
The food was great and I especially liked the breakfast; fresh juice every morning!
Please go to the spa! My husband and I had the rainforest indulgence (I'm not sure if that was the exact name or not but it's something similar) and it was amazing!!!

Bottom Line: This is a must go for couples. Great honeymoon spot as well. Would not recommend if you're looking for the party scene.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
BTMayakoba, Director General at Banyan Tree Mayakoba, responded to this review, December 8, 2011
Dear atlmojo

Thank you for choosing the Banyan Tree Mayakoba Hotel to celebrate your anniversary.
We were delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and wish to thank you very much for your gracious comments about our hotel services.
Thank you for providing your valuable feedback on Trip Advisor.

I hope I can personally welcome you back in the near future.

Kindest Regards

Vice president
Area general Manager
Mexico City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2011

The Banyan Tree is certainly at the top of the properties we have visited in Mexico during our four years living here, with comparables being the Capella in Cabo San Lucas and El Tamarindo near Manzanillo. The standouts are the facilities -- absolutely gorgeous design and public areas, serene layout, food and private villas (we booked a garden and were upgraded to a courtyard), and spa with genuine Thai therapists and treatments -- the proximity to the Mayakoba golf course, and the room maintenance and dining services. The things we thought needed improvement included the reception service and transportation within the compound. With the first, my husband and I went to the reception one day (the only time we asked for anything actually) and asked for four things: a shoe horn, a checkout time 2.5 hours after checkout, a dinner reservation that night, and a dinner reservation the next night. Of these, we left with only one being taken care of: the dinner the following evening. The receptionist looked completely lost with the idea of a shoehorn, so much so that we tried in English in case it was the term that was incorrect, but she firmly said no there are no shoehorns on the property, which was kind of funny. Next there was no table at the restaurant we wanted unless it was either 7 pm or 10 pm. And finally, she told us that given it was high season, under no circumstances could a late checkout be accomodated. What it really sounded like she was saying, however, is that given it's high season, we feel entitled to treat you somewhat poorly. At the same time, when I went around reception, I found that almost everything I needed to be done could be done. For example, I called the restaurant directly and got the dinner time we needed, I spoke with the concierge (Michele Salazar, who is excellent) and she graciously accomodated our later checkout time, and when I needed two last minute spa appointments, rather than take the receptionist's word that they were fully booked, I spoke directly with the spa personnel and had two bookings exactly when I needed them. The resort is flexible and client oriented, but not thoroughly so and I found it best to go directly to the point of service to ask for help. For transportation within the compound, my husband and I are in good shape and like to walk a bit rather than take a buggy everywhere, but we were nearly mowed down on several occasions while walking on the footpaths from our villa to the pool or restaurants. The property is very laid out which necessitates use of buggies to get to the farther flung places like the beach or far villas. However, the design does not accomodate for walking and buggies or bikes at the same time. The final potential drawback for some is the beach. While the hotel has integrated itself nicely in the mangrove and managed a minimum of destruction, the beach area does seem a bit too small for the amount of traffic it gets.

Room Tip: The courtyard and spa rooms have a private jacuzi which is really nice after a day on the golf cours...
Dear LBBMexicoCity

We are very thankful for your collaboration at the Trip Advisor webpage. We are glad to know that Banyan Tree Mayakoba is considered as one of the Best hotels in Mexico.

Regarding your feedback on the Front Desk area, these are very appreciated. Please be sure that it has been discussed with the head of the department in order to review the procedures. On the other hand, your complimentary notes about Michele Salazar, have been also shared with our associates, it is nice for them to know our guest value their efforts.

Please be sure we will be glad to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Banyan Tree Mayakoba

Best Regards

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2011

This was our second stay at the Banyan Tree Mayakoba. After a spectacular experience last year, we decided to return. Overall, I would still say this is a fantastic property with great service. However, the bar was set quite high last year and somehow Banyan Tree didn't quite live up to expectations on this stay.

As someone that was looking to get a work out in on their vacation every day, the gym was a real let down. For a property of this caliber you would expect something much nicer. It is very small with 4 pieces of cardio equipment -- one machine was out of order and the other 3 had touch screens which were not calibrated properly leading to frustration for anyone attempting to use them. The temperature in the gym was 77 degrees despite numerous complaints I heard every day from other guests to the staff. The gym is so small there is no room to put a mat out anywhere. There was one mat provided in the gym which happened to be really gross and dirty.

While the service at Banyan Tree is still great, it is not at the same level as last year. For example, on our previous stay we were assigned a resort host who checked in with us every day at breakfast and was the one point person we dealt with during our entire stay for all requests and issues. This time we were not assigned such a host. There was also a hiccup with our transportation reservation to go to the airport. Despite receiving written confirmation that transportation has been arranged, turned out it wasn't. We had to order a taxi at the last minute resulting in about a 20 minute delay in getting to airport.

The resort was a lot busier this time than on our previous stay which I think impacted service all round. Buggies could take 15-20 minutes to get to your villa, phone calls to guest services took longer to get answered (sometimes no answer), and service was slower at breakfast.

The quality of the villas and housekeeping is still outstanding. We had a courtyard pool villa which is the same as the spa villa we stayed in last year minus an outdoor shower and roof top massage tables which we didn't miss.

Having experienced a "perfect" stay on our first trip, we noticed other minor items that we probably wouldn't have otherwise. However nothing was significant enough to prevent us from coming back to Banyan Tree Mayakoba.

Petersfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

Just fantastic! We always stay in five star resorts and the Banyan Tree Mayakoba provided us with some of the best accomodation we have ever stayed in. We had booked a Courtyard Pool Villa, but on arrival were upgraded to a 2 Bedroom Pool Villa. The villa was so spacious, private and spotlessly clean that we spent most of our time in our own garden lounging by our pool and enjoying the hottub.

The breakfast buffet was amazing, with a huge array of choices, and was served until midday so you could turn it into brunch if you wished! We stayed 9 nights and in that time ate in all three of the restaurants.My partner has a wheat and dairy intolerance and we found that all of the restaurants bent over backwards to accommodate his dietary requirements, bringing him all sorts of special dishes and generally spoilling him! Every meal we had was delicious and although not cheap was of a standard that you would expect in some top London restaurant. We particularly loved eating on the dock at Saffron, very romantic!

Cycling to the beach every afternoon for cocktails and a walk by the ocean was the only exercise we managed all week. The beach was a tiny bit disappointing, and there were areas that we felt were not being properly cleaned, but it was lovely sitting at the beach club and looking out to sea.

The staff throughout the resort were excellent. Nothing was too much trouble and everyone had a smile for you.

I would recommend the complementary Mangrove Tour, it was really interesting and a relaxing way to while away an hour. We also spent the day on a tour with a company called 'Your Private Tour' which was fantastic. (See separate review)

A truly relaxing and luxurious stay.

Dear Sara P

I wish to thank you for the compliments that you kindly made on this Web site. I am pleased to read that you had a relaxing vacation at Banyan Tree Mayakoba and that you took the time to enjoy the natural surroundings of the area.

Please do not hesitate in contacting us if you are thinking to come back in the near future fo a bit more pampering. It will be our pleasure to welcome you back.

Kindest regards

Area General Manager

Been to Banyan Tree Mayakoba? Share your experiences!