I travelled for a business seminar together with my husband.
Pros: This spectacular hotel is beautiful. The concept is private villas, and by private, they mean private. Each villa looks out ont its own coourtyard, hamac, private pool and wetland. Each villa in addition to the private pool has a private outdoor bathtub. An evening bath with lighted candles as you gaze at the stars takes on a whole new level. Each villa exudes luxury, the bathroom area is a delight. Turndown service is the best I have experienced anywhere in the world.
I attended a seminar, and the meeting rooms, service and food were wonderful One night included a dinner party in a bungalow by the beach. Seafood was wonderful. Our rate included a buffet breakfast which was huge with a selection that was impressive.
Cons: Except for a very few limited villas, the villas do not have a beach view, nor are close enough to hear the waves. Transportation from bungalows to the main building and the beach club area is by golf carts. My husband found this annoying (not efficient) I did not mind. The resort provides bikes for a small fee, this is definetely the way to get around as it provides liberty and the trails through the jungle and golf courses are very relaxing. As one would expect from a hotel of this cost, aside from the free breakfast buffet, food, even in the "casual" beachside restaurant was very expensive. We spent US$100 for lunch at the beach restaurant, and decided to rent a car and eat in Playa del Carmen most of our meals.
Service: Polite, with a smile but a bit slow. I think once you pass a few days, you adjust to the local speed.
We rented a car and visited Tulum and went out to dinner to Playa del Carmen. Definetely liked the Playa del Carmen vibe more than Cancun. Playa had better "local" restaurants, jazz and night spots. Less touristy and showy than Cancun.
- Also Known As:
- Banyan Tree Mayakoba Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Banyan Tree Mayakoba Hotel
- Banyan Tree Mayakoba Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A harmonious blend of nature and luxury, Banyan Tree Mayakoba takes resort living to new heights with the first all-pool villa resort in Riviera Maya, Mexico. Banyan Tree Hotels and Resorts brings Asian hospitality to the beautiful development of Mayakoba, Riviera Maya, complete with Banyan Tree Mayakoba pool villas offering premium seclusion and an expansive Mayakoba spa complex with the introduction of the award-winning Banyan Tree Mayakoba Spa. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Tingo, BookIt.com, Venere, Otel and Jetsetter so you can book your Banyan Tree Mayakoba reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.