“Beautiful” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Velas Riviera Maya

You added Grand Velas Riviera Maya to your Saves list
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Cancun Tulum Km. 62 | Municipio de Solidaridad, Quintana Roo, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Offers & Announcements
Package Deal
Ranked #12 of 200 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Arizona
“Beautiful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

We stayed at the Grand Velas with 3 other couples for a friend's birthday. From check in to check out you're treated as if they really want to please. We stayed in Grand Class for adults only. The rooms were spacious and very well appointed. Our concierge made us always feel welcome and met every need. The pool and beach service was always there offering food and drinks. The service in the restaurants and bars was always great and on time.

The ladies used one of the exorcise classes and had a great time. I used the gym twice and found it in good shape, clean and good equipment.

We would go back in a heartbeat!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
DirectorGVRM, Director General at Grand Velas Riviera Maya, responded to this review, August 25, 2014
What a very pleasant way to celebrate a friend’s birthday than to do so on the shores of Riviera Maya. And it gives me great pleasure that you and your close group chose Grand Velas to be the host for your good times. Our Grand Class suites are very large and open giving you that feeling of freedom while facing straight out to the Caribbean. Actually all of our well appointed suites would be considered Presidential or Governor Suites in many hotels just based on the sheer size along with the luxury amenities that come standard. To complement your accommodations our dedicated staff was always on hand to provide the eight of you with enough fine service to help make your dining and get-togethers relaxed and entertaining. I hope that you will think of us in the future when that heartbeat urges you to take your next vacation. Thank you for your patronage and for sharing your happy times with everybody. Take care and special regards to all in Arizona.

rgonzalezgvrm@velasresorts.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (417)
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

My recent holiday at Grand Velas was simply Perfect! This was my first experience in the Mayan Riviera and staying at Grand Velas has certainly set the bar extremely high. The hotel facilities were beautiful, clean, spacious and very luxurious. The service was impeccable....from Jose on the beach to Gabriel at Bistro. The culinary treats that I experienced each day left me satiated and wanting for nothing. Eric, the executive chef ensured that each meal was true perfection. What more can I say.....except Grand Velas was most definitely the best hotel I have ever stayed in and certainly worth the distance that I traveled from Singapore. I plan to be back soon....very soon!!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
It is a very nice feeling as I sit and go through the comments of our valuable guests to know that the great majority are very pleased with their experiences and your delightful descriptions really made my Saturday afternoon. It is such a pleasure for us to represent Mexico and The Riviera Maya region to first timers. And to actually have the honor to be your host is a privilege that I hold high. Please note that what we wish to provide our guests is a confidence in our consistency, so that when you do return to Grand Velas you can be sure that the high bar that you set will be met and eclipsed thanks to the genius creativity of my executive chef Eric. Thank you so much for selecting us for your first taste of Riviera Maya and also for taking the effort of travelling from half a world away to enjoy our cuisine and hospitality. Take care and kind greetings to you and your friends in beautiful Singapore.

Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

From the moment you arrive, you will understand the reason people say it is a step above. Truly grand in every way.

The rooms...All the rooms are spectacular. You truly can not go wrong. The entry level suite is over 1100 square ft. with beautiful decor; the Zen suites are in the jungle just a few minute shuttle ride from the beach. The shuttle is 24 hours a day. next up is the Ambassador at just over 1200 square ft. This is an infinity pool/ocean view. The first two are family resorts. The third is an adult section allowing 12 and up to stay.

So much to love at this place. The food is out of this world. We ate appetizers at Frida and I has escamoles (ant caviar). Weird but delicious. Piaf was so romantic. A man in a black tuxedo played a violin. The food was delicious. The ulitimate in cuisine was at Cocina De Autor and what a treat we had. they said 8 course meal but it felt like ten. Amazing, truly a gift from the food gods.
We have 4 videos about this resort as it was extra special. Three show the rooms and one about a free kayak ride to the reef where we snorkeled along with a life guard as our guide.

Room Tip: We stayed at the Zen suites. I preferred it because it was truly amazing and the beach was a short...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
I thank you very much for your personal descriptions of the experiences that you most certainly enjoyed while residing with us. Your accolades express very well the personal luxuries that our guests enjoy as well as the savory delights that adorn the menus of our eight culinary options. Options and variety: that is precisely what you convey and what we designed for Grand Velas in its planning and pre construction stages. Three lifestyle ambiences which you so nicely point out and its size. Our suites are quite large compared to other luxury hotels and having a front door that is 1.4 meters wide really justifies the size of our units especially when one first arrives. Some of the dining venues and dishes that you referred to really offer a great variety for even the most distinguished palate. That is why we do not make reference to a “food and beverage program”. But we refer to it as a culinary tour, which is exactly what it is because of the variety that is provided. And I am truly delighted that you delved into some of the specific creations of our chef and most importantly I am pleased that it was all to your great liking. To be considered “the grandest” and “a step above” is testament that we truly have raised the bar on high end all-inclusive resorts. I thank you again for your wonderful praises, for your preference and also for the great videos and photos that you provide. I hope that we can share a table some evening in Cocina de Autor and enjoy the culinary experience together with your family. Take care and all the best for you both in glorious Nashville, TN.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

We have just come back from 2 weeks in this hotel and we have had a great time, we had a suite in the Zen section which I did not realise when I booked it is probably 0.5 mile from the beach and you need to get a shuttle bus, this is not clear when you book these rooms. Our room was lovely and Paco was our floor concierge, he was brilliant restaurant bookings, spa bookings, trip information, town info, laundry and even late night margaritas. Being in the Zen section ended up being a blessing because we had the Zen pool pretty much to ourselves for the whole time, it was never busy. The one day we went to the beach and main pool we struggled to get loungers and found it a little loud and busy, it was very nice and service was good.
In the Zen pool section special mentions must go to Gerry, Alex, Bautista and Oscar who were the pool guys and were truly excellent, loungers, towels, drinks, food and friendly nothing too much trouble, they really made every day at the pool.

The shuttle bus thing between the 3 hotel blocks was fine once you got used to it and if you use all the restaurants and spa you will definitely use it at least a couple of times a day.

The Spa was great always arrive an hour before your treatment for the whole hydrotherapy experience(sauna, steam, cold room, clay room and great pool, we had a couple of massages and a facial all of which were excellent.

Gym pretty well equipped 8 cv machines and a broad range of weight machines, very quiet and open pretty much all the time.

Laundry service was quick and high quality.

Restaurants breakfast buffet in Azul most days food all fresh and tasty and a wide range of just about everything. Chaka day time Mexican for lunch very tasty. Luca Italian great food, great service. Sen Lin, pan Asian some truly excellent food try the starter soft shell crab, entree curried chicken and the desert peppered strawberries. The best restaurant and our absolute favourite was Frida fine dining Mexican we went 4 times and worked our way through most of the menu, every dish was inventive, well flavoured and seasoned and the staff team were professional, knowledgable and very very friendly, spoiling us on our anniversary, our leaving night and really looking after our 8 year old son.

We will definitely be back to this hotel.

Room Tip: We had 2151 and 2150 in the Zen block, jungle views and great rooms, as per my note above if you see...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
DirectorGVRM, Director General at Grand Velas Riviera Maya, responded to this review, August 26, 2014
Thank you very much Sr. Cotta for first of all deciding to make your holiday plans with us at Grand Velas. We are indeed very proud that we could live up to your expectations and at the same time generating a definite desire to return. I am pleased that you have the confidence to know that even on a two week holiday there is much variety and enjoyment to be had especially in terms of our culinary tour. Your ability to try each and every gastronomic venue at least once really lends to the overall satisfaction of your vacation choice. I am also glad that your accommodations in our Zen ambience were to your great satisfaction and that my staff Paco, Gerry, Alex, Bautista and Oscar were true to form in providing you and your family those extra touches that certainly set us apart from other resorts. And of course having two weeks to relax means indulging yourselves in our world recognized spa. The hydrotherapy alone is a very satisfying ritual, but to top it off with massages and facial treatments really lifts one up to another level of relaxation. Sr. Cotta, it would be our great pleasure to host you and your family again in order to exceed even more the expectations that you will have in us and also for our chefs to provide you with many more inventive dishes to help satisfy your culinary curiosities.

Thank you again Sr. Cotta and from all of us we congratulate you on your anniversary and we wish you all the best in beautiful London, England. Cheers!

McKinney, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

The resort was perfect- service by Jose on the beach was amazing!!! Rooms were very spacious. The food was incredible many restaurants to choose from. Service was 5 star, staff was friendly and helpful. Beach was clean and very nice, spent most of our day relaxing on the beach with the occasionally cool off in the ocean! We can't wait to go back!!!! Was a memorable amazing trip! So worth it!!! The spa was SO SO worth it - very romantic and relaxing!

Room Tip: Very spacious beautiful! Absolutely wonderful
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
DirectorGVRM, Director General at Grand Velas Riviera Maya, responded to this review, August 22, 2014
Why thank you Kelsey for your glowing comments on your July visit with us. The dedicated and pro-active service by Jose and all of our team really culminated in making a good holiday a really terrific and unforgettable one. I am glad that one of the highlights was your relaxing time on the beach. The memory of that time will help to inspire you return to where everything was to your extreme satisfaction. Kelsey, I hope that your subsequent visits to Grand Velas are as fulfilling as your first one and what better way to relax than on the beaches of the Caribbean. Thank you again and all the best to you in McKinney, Texas. Take care.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

Our holiday at Grand Velas was amazing! Having been to the Mayan Riviera on various occasions, I can confidently say its beautiful, white sand beach is by far the best along the coast. Everything else is also top-notch - gorgeous pools, luxurious suites, pampering spa, elegant restaurants, fantastic food … the list goes on. Beyond the infrastructure, what stands out at Grand Velas is the service. My friends and I kept talking about our “rock star experience”. Staff throughout the resort, and at every level, is attentive, professional, friendly and genuinely warm. You feel that each and every single person is invested in making your stay exceptional. Value for dollar, 10 out of 10. No question – Grand Velas Riviera Maya deserves the AAA Five Diamond award and the many others it has received!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
DirectorGVRM, General Manager at Grand Velas Riviera Maya, responded to this review, August 21, 2014
Heather, thank you for your glowing observations on what you lived and felt while on vacation with us. And believe me when I say that the privilege was truly ours from the moment that you selected us to be your hosts. It pleases me immensely that every aspect of your stay was to your great satisfaction and that you and your friends continually talk about your recent holiday, particularly on the quality of the warm and professional service that you all received. I have stated before to other valued guests that the awards that Grand Velas has generated over its brief history are certainly milestone achievements, however the accolades that you and many other prior guests have bestowed upon us is truly the most important recognition that can be received. After all, you are the reason that we are here and your great satisfaction is the best indicator for us in terms of pride and of a job well done. I hope that we will again have the privilege in hosting you like “rock stars” for many splendid moments to come. Thank you Heather and a big hug for you and your friends up north. Take care.

Allentown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014

We stayed at Grand Velas in Aug 2014 in the Zen section. We traveled with another couple, and we had no kids with us:) We were warmly greeted by the concierge(albeit without cold towels or drinks) when we arrived.This place is really huge with lots of foliage and greenery.We were given our suite immediately, even though we arrived early(around 12pm). We were impressed by our suite; it was beautiful. We had a great patio with a small pool in the back of the room and every morning you could hear birdsongs and chirping of other creatures. Our luggage took some time to arrive, however.I think the only negative I can think of, is the staff can be a little laid back at times and slow to deliver. Room service does take a while to arrive.They are all very friendly,though, and they never hang around for tips,although we tipped everyone well..Our concierge was Mcmain( the spelling may be wrong!) and he was such a nice guy. He made our reservations for dinner each evening. He was very helpful and he is an asset to the hotel.
The shuttle between the 3 sections of the hotel was quick to arrive each time. I dont think we waited more than 5 minutes each time. All the restaurants are also pretty good..we loved Lucca and Bistro. Chaka too was pretty good for breakfast and lunch. We also visited Frieda, Azul and Sen Lin.The only drawback is their very few vegetarian options..they really need to address this issue.I have to give special mention to all the chefs, who specially made vegetarian meals for us, upon request!
The infinity pool in the Ambassador section was awesome and we spent a lot of time there.The drinks service at the pool tends to be a bit slow, and of course,some of the drinks are watered down, but you almost expect this at an all inclusive hotel.
Overall, the quality and ambience at this hotel is outstanding and we did have a great time there.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the second floor as the ground floor outside the rooms does tend to have a few cree...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you Gia for taking the time to share your holiday observations with us on TripAdvisor. We do pride ourselves on our efficient and professional level of service that we have demonstrated to our guests over the years. However, I sense the overall theme to your comments to be one of a somewhat slow service. I sincerely apologize to you Gia if your experiences here at Grand Velas were not quite up to speed. I will take it upon myself to ensure that there are no “laid back” efforts on the part of my staff and always strive for an efficient and great service to your needs. I do not believe though that “fast” is always the best service. I prefer to have a service carried out to perfection, efficiently utilizing the proper amount of time needed for that individual task. Sometimes “fast” deteriorates the quality as is noted by the greeting on your arrival. “A warm greeting, albeit without cold towels or drinks”. That is truly an example of quickness, while sacrificing quality and that is certainly well within my reach to correct so that every guest´s arrival is carried out in a genuinely warm manner. It really pleases me to note that overall you found the hotel to be “outstanding” and that you did have a great time. Thank you again Gia for your valuable comments and from all of us here at Grand Velas we wish you a great summer in Allentown, PA. Take care.

rgonzalezgvrm@velasresorts.com

Been to Grand Velas Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!