“What a great holiday!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Velas Riviera Maya

Save Saved
You added Grand Velas Riviera Maya to your Saves list
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Cancun Tulum Km. 62 | Municipio de Solidaridad, Quintana Roo, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Offers & Announcements
Package Deal
Ranked #11 of 199 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
London, United Kingdom
“What a great holiday!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

We have just come back from 2 weeks in this hotel and we have had a great time, we had a suite in the Zen section which I did not realise when I booked it is probably 0.5 mile from the beach and you need to get a shuttle bus, this is not clear when you book these rooms. Our room was lovely and Paco was our floor concierge, he was brilliant restaurant bookings, spa bookings, trip information, town info, laundry and even late night margaritas. Being in the Zen section ended up being a blessing because we had the Zen pool pretty much to ourselves for the whole time, it was never busy. The one day we went to the beach and main pool we struggled to get loungers and found it a little loud and busy, it was very nice and service was good.
In the Zen pool section special mentions must go to Gerry, Alex, Bautista and Oscar who were the pool guys and were truly excellent, loungers, towels, drinks, food and friendly nothing too much trouble, they really made every day at the pool.

The shuttle bus thing between the 3 hotel blocks was fine once you got used to it and if you use all the restaurants and spa you will definitely use it at least a couple of times a day.

The Spa was great always arrive an hour before your treatment for the whole hydrotherapy experience(sauna, steam, cold room, clay room and great pool, we had a couple of massages and a facial all of which were excellent.

Gym pretty well equipped 8 cv machines and a broad range of weight machines, very quiet and open pretty much all the time.

Laundry service was quick and high quality.

Restaurants breakfast buffet in Azul most days food all fresh and tasty and a wide range of just about everything. Chaka day time Mexican for lunch very tasty. Luca Italian great food, great service. Sen Lin, pan Asian some truly excellent food try the starter soft shell crab, entree curried chicken and the desert peppered strawberries. The best restaurant and our absolute favourite was Frida fine dining Mexican we went 4 times and worked our way through most of the menu, every dish was inventive, well flavoured and seasoned and the staff team were professional, knowledgable and very very friendly, spoiling us on our anniversary, our leaving night and really looking after our 8 year old son.

We will definitely be back to this hotel.

Room Tip: We had 2151 and 2150 in the Zen block, jungle views and great rooms, as per my note above if you see...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
DirectorGVRM, Director General at Grand Velas Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Thank you very much Sr. Cotta for first of all deciding to make your holiday plans with us at Grand Velas. We are indeed very proud that we could live up to your expectations and at the same time generating a definite desire to return. I am pleased that you have the confidence to know that even on a two week holiday there is much variety and enjoyment to be had especially in terms of our culinary tour. Your ability to try each and every gastronomic venue at least once really lends to the overall satisfaction of your vacation choice. I am also glad that your accommodations in our Zen ambience were to your great satisfaction and that my staff Paco, Gerry, Alex, Bautista and Oscar were true to form in providing you and your family those extra touches that certainly set us apart from other resorts. And of course having two weeks to relax means indulging yourselves in our world recognized spa. The hydrotherapy alone is a very satisfying ritual, but to top it off with massages and facial treatments really lifts one up to another level of relaxation. Sr. Cotta, it would be our great pleasure to host you and your family again in order to exceed even more the expectations that you will have in us and also for our chefs to provide you with many more inventive dishes to help satisfy your culinary curiosities.

Thank you again Sr. Cotta and from all of us we congratulate you on your anniversary and we wish you all the best in beautiful London, England. Cheers!

rgonzalezgvrm@velasresorts.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (379)
McKinney, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

The resort was perfect- service by Jose on the beach was amazing!!! Rooms were very spacious. The food was incredible many restaurants to choose from. Service was 5 star, staff was friendly and helpful. Beach was clean and very nice, spent most of our day relaxing on the beach with the occasionally cool off in the ocean! We can't wait to go back!!!! Was a memorable amazing trip! So worth it!!! The spa was SO SO worth it - very romantic and relaxing!

Room Tip: Very spacious beautiful! Absolutely wonderful
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
DirectorGVRM, Director General at Grand Velas Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Why thank you Kelsey for your glowing comments on your July visit with us. The dedicated and pro-active service by Jose and all of our team really culminated in making a good holiday a really terrific and unforgettable one. I am glad that one of the highlights was your relaxing time on the beach. The memory of that time will help to inspire you return to where everything was to your extreme satisfaction. Kelsey, I hope that your subsequent visits to Grand Velas are as fulfilling as your first one and what better way to relax than on the beaches of the Caribbean. Thank you again and all the best to you in McKinney, Texas. Take care.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

Our holiday at Grand Velas was amazing! Having been to the Mayan Riviera on various occasions, I can confidently say its beautiful, white sand beach is by far the best along the coast. Everything else is also top-notch - gorgeous pools, luxurious suites, pampering spa, elegant restaurants, fantastic food … the list goes on. Beyond the infrastructure, what stands out at Grand Velas is the service. My friends and I kept talking about our “rock star experience”. Staff throughout the resort, and at every level, is attentive, professional, friendly and genuinely warm. You feel that each and every single person is invested in making your stay exceptional. Value for dollar, 10 out of 10. No question – Grand Velas Riviera Maya deserves the AAA Five Diamond award and the many others it has received!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
DirectorGVRM, General Manager at Grand Velas Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Heather, thank you for your glowing observations on what you lived and felt while on vacation with us. And believe me when I say that the privilege was truly ours from the moment that you selected us to be your hosts. It pleases me immensely that every aspect of your stay was to your great satisfaction and that you and your friends continually talk about your recent holiday, particularly on the quality of the warm and professional service that you all received. I have stated before to other valued guests that the awards that Grand Velas has generated over its brief history are certainly milestone achievements, however the accolades that you and many other prior guests have bestowed upon us is truly the most important recognition that can be received. After all, you are the reason that we are here and your great satisfaction is the best indicator for us in terms of pride and of a job well done. I hope that we will again have the privilege in hosting you like “rock stars” for many splendid moments to come. Thank you Heather and a big hug for you and your friends up north. Take care.

Allentown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014

We stayed at Grand Velas in Aug 2014 in the Zen section. We traveled with another couple, and we had no kids with us:) We were warmly greeted by the concierge(albeit without cold towels or drinks) when we arrived.This place is really huge with lots of foliage and greenery.We were given our suite immediately, even though we arrived early(around 12pm). We were impressed by our suite; it was beautiful. We had a great patio with a small pool in the back of the room and every morning you could hear birdsongs and chirping of other creatures. Our luggage took some time to arrive, however.I think the only negative I can think of, is the staff can be a little laid back at times and slow to deliver. Room service does take a while to arrive.They are all very friendly,though, and they never hang around for tips,although we tipped everyone well..Our concierge was Mcmain( the spelling may be wrong!) and he was such a nice guy. He made our reservations for dinner each evening. He was very helpful and he is an asset to the hotel.
The shuttle between the 3 sections of the hotel was quick to arrive each time. I dont think we waited more than 5 minutes each time. All the restaurants are also pretty good..we loved Lucca and Bistro. Chaka too was pretty good for breakfast and lunch. We also visited Frieda, Azul and Sen Lin.The only drawback is their very few vegetarian options..they really need to address this issue.I have to give special mention to all the chefs, who specially made vegetarian meals for us, upon request!
The infinity pool in the Ambassador section was awesome and we spent a lot of time there.The drinks service at the pool tends to be a bit slow, and of course,some of the drinks are watered down, but you almost expect this at an all inclusive hotel.
Overall, the quality and ambience at this hotel is outstanding and we did have a great time there.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the second floor as the ground floor outside the rooms does tend to have a few cree...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you Gia for taking the time to share your holiday observations with us on TripAdvisor. We do pride ourselves on our efficient and professional level of service that we have demonstrated to our guests over the years. However, I sense the overall theme to your comments to be one of a somewhat slow service. I sincerely apologize to you Gia if your experiences here at Grand Velas were not quite up to speed. I will take it upon myself to ensure that there are no “laid back” efforts on the part of my staff and always strive for an efficient and great service to your needs. I do not believe though that “fast” is always the best service. I prefer to have a service carried out to perfection, efficiently utilizing the proper amount of time needed for that individual task. Sometimes “fast” deteriorates the quality as is noted by the greeting on your arrival. “A warm greeting, albeit without cold towels or drinks”. That is truly an example of quickness, while sacrificing quality and that is certainly well within my reach to correct so that every guest´s arrival is carried out in a genuinely warm manner. It really pleases me to note that overall you found the hotel to be “outstanding” and that you did have a great time. Thank you again Gia for your valuable comments and from all of us here at Grand Velas we wish you a great summer in Allentown, PA. Take care.

Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014

I have been to the Grand Velas 8-10 times since it opened and am never disappointed. Unfortunately, my children have traveled with me there on several trips and it is their benchmark for every other hotel we go to. :-) I can't tell you how many times I have heard, "well, it's just NOT the Grand Velas." The hotel is 5 diamonds in every way. The rooms are roomy and gorgeous and the grounds are impeccable. The restaurants are some of the best I have ever dined in. They must have an employee training program that is better than the Ritz...the service is amazing from the pool butlers, waiters, bartenders, maids, etc. The prices have shot up since the opening but this is truly the best all inclusive experience you will get in Mexico! There is absolutely nothing bad that could be said about the experience you will have at this resort.

Room Tip: All rooms in the Ambassador and Grand Class section have amazing views! The corner rooms in the bui...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Susie, it is truly a delight for me to know that we as a team have made an excellent impression for you and your young ones over the years. And to be considered as “truly the best all inclusive experience in Mexico” motivates us even further to maintain that cherished title. We actually do of course have an employee training program that explains processes and etiquette, etc. However much of our focus goes toward the understanding and knowing of our philosophy in being outstanding hosts and what it takes to ensure that our valued guests experience vacations that eclipse their expectations. We like to give the freedom to our staff to not only act and react, but to think and plan ahead. This aspect of our service makes me very proud and it is also what helps to set us apart from other hotels. I would be honored Susie for the opportunity to meet you and your lovely family in person on you next visit in order to thank you in person for the Grand Velas loyalty that you entrust in us. Susie, I wish you all a marvelous summer in beautiful Dallas and all the best to the family. Until next time.

Bloomfield Hills, Michigan, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014

Our family is just back from a week long vacation at Grand Velas Resort in sunny Riviera Maya.

We have been trying several resorts in the area over the years and decided once more to try another one this year. We heard that Grand Velas was a great choice and this how we booked that trip.

As used as we are to this type of vacation in the region, I have to report that Grand Velas went way over our expectations. The resort itself is beautifully appointed with manicured gardens and large luxurious bedrooms.

What sets Grand Velas apart though is the quality of service that guests receive and even more so, the awesome quality of the restaurants and buffets. We are travelling a lot and enjoy gastronomy all around the world. These restaurants are literally world class and they themselves are an excellent reason to stay at Grand Velas.

You will find all ingredients that make perfect dining experiences : warm helpful staff, elegant decorum, vast menu diversity, fantastic presentation and awesome tasty dishes.

We can't wait to go back!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Xavier it is really a delight to read that with your vast experience vacationing in different resorts in this region that we were able to perform “way over your expectations”. In designing not only the facilities of Grand Velas, but the standards of service and product as well, we envisioned ourselves catering to seasoned travelers such as yourselves. In aiming for that demanding and upscale market we knew that every facet of our operation had to be perfect or as close to perfection as is humanly attainable. The added dedication and focus of our 1,300 employees is targeted toward the happiness and satisfaction of our valued guests. And all those individual efforts have culminated in exactly the type of comments that you so kindly express. From the ample and luxurious suites, the attention to service details and as you emphasize our culinary tour, we believe that we have created many unforgettable vacations for the grand majority of our past and present guests. Our focus is not only to continue with that sustained success, but to constantly enhance and improve the product that you kindly invested in on your first trip. I hope Xavier that your curiosity in visiting different resorts is now at ease and that you can be confident that your future vacations to Grand Velas will continue to eclipse your expectations with each and every visit. Thank you sir for kind words and patronage and on behalf of all of our staff we wish you and your family all the best for years to come. Take care.

Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

I just returned from Grand Velas in Riviera Maya. Hadn't been there in a while and was hoping that the service and experience would be as good as last time. It was even better! The hotel facilities are impeccable - rooms are gorgeous and service everywhere (rooms, concierges, beach staff) was outstanding. Because we were there to celebrate a friends birthday, we wanted to make it extra special. We met Eric - the new Executive Chef - and he and his team pulled out all the stops. The meals were truly fantastic and they went out of their way to make everything special. The team at Bistro really wowed us with unbelievable lunches and a dinner we won't soon forget. Michel is back at Piaff - and he has some amazing new recipes! It was the first time there for our friends - and we've already decided we're going back late this fall. Why would we want to go anywhere else??????

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you Larry for sharing your splendid feelings toward Grand Velas. We are truly proud to have earned your preference as your Mexican vacation destination and I am especially pleased that you and your friends greatly enjoyed our hospitality and cuisine. Our goal in all areas is to provide our guests amazing and unforgettable experiences and with the staff that we are blessed to have that goal is very attainable. Chef Eric Maeyer has his focus not only in the kitchen but also on his guests. He and his team will be very motivated when your review is shared with the employees. Larry, it will the pleasure of all of us here at Grand Velas to be your hosts this fall and I hope that your expectations are again eclipsed with each and every visit. Take care and all the best to you and your friends in Toronto, Canada.

rgonzalezgvrm@velasresorts.com

Been to Grand Velas Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!