“One of our best vacations” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Velas Riviera Maya

You added Grand Velas Riviera Maya to your Saves list
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Cancun Tulum Km. 62 | Municipio de Solidaridad, Quintana Roo, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Offers & Announcements
Package Deal
Ranked #8 of 200 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Allentown, Pennsylvania
“One of our best vacations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014

We stayed at Grand Velas in Aug 2014 in the Zen section. We traveled with another couple, and we had no kids with us:) We were warmly greeted by the concierge(albeit without cold towels or drinks) when we arrived.This place is really huge with lots of foliage and greenery.We were given our suite immediately, even though we arrived early(around 12pm). We were impressed by our suite; it was beautiful. We had a great patio with a small pool in the back of the room and every morning you could hear birdsongs and chirping of other creatures. Our luggage took some time to arrive, however.I think the only negative I can think of, is the staff can be a little laid back at times and slow to deliver. Room service does take a while to arrive.They are all very friendly,though, and they never hang around for tips,although we tipped everyone well..Our concierge was Mcmain( the spelling may be wrong!) and he was such a nice guy. He made our reservations for dinner each evening. He was very helpful and he is an asset to the hotel.
The shuttle between the 3 sections of the hotel was quick to arrive each time. I dont think we waited more than 5 minutes each time. All the restaurants are also pretty good..we loved Lucca and Bistro. Chaka too was pretty good for breakfast and lunch. We also visited Frieda, Azul and Sen Lin.The only drawback is their very few vegetarian options..they really need to address this issue.I have to give special mention to all the chefs, who specially made vegetarian meals for us, upon request!
The infinity pool in the Ambassador section was awesome and we spent a lot of time there.The drinks service at the pool tends to be a bit slow, and of course,some of the drinks are watered down, but you almost expect this at an all inclusive hotel.
Overall, the quality and ambience at this hotel is outstanding and we did have a great time there.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the second floor as the ground floor outside the rooms does tend to have a few cree...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
DirectorGVRM, Director General at Grand Velas Riviera Maya, responded to this review, August 22, 2014
Thank you Gia for taking the time to share your holiday observations with us on TripAdvisor. We do pride ourselves on our efficient and professional level of service that we have demonstrated to our guests over the years. However, I sense the overall theme to your comments to be one of a somewhat slow service. I sincerely apologize to you Gia if your experiences here at Grand Velas were not quite up to speed. I will take it upon myself to ensure that there are no “laid back” efforts on the part of my staff and always strive for an efficient and great service to your needs. I do not believe though that “fast” is always the best service. I prefer to have a service carried out to perfection, efficiently utilizing the proper amount of time needed for that individual task. Sometimes “fast” deteriorates the quality as is noted by the greeting on your arrival. “A warm greeting, albeit without cold towels or drinks”. That is truly an example of quickness, while sacrificing quality and that is certainly well within my reach to correct so that every guest´s arrival is carried out in a genuinely warm manner. It really pleases me to note that overall you found the hotel to be “outstanding” and that you did have a great time. Thank you again Gia for your valuable comments and from all of us here at Grand Velas we wish you a great summer in Allentown, PA. Take care.

rgonzalezgvrm@velasresorts.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (476)
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014

I have been to the Grand Velas 8-10 times since it opened and am never disappointed. Unfortunately, my children have traveled with me there on several trips and it is their benchmark for every other hotel we go to. :-) I can't tell you how many times I have heard, "well, it's just NOT the Grand Velas." The hotel is 5 diamonds in every way. The rooms are roomy and gorgeous and the grounds are impeccable. The restaurants are some of the best I have ever dined in. They must have an employee training program that is better than the Ritz...the service is amazing from the pool butlers, waiters, bartenders, maids, etc. The prices have shot up since the opening but this is truly the best all inclusive experience you will get in Mexico! There is absolutely nothing bad that could be said about the experience you will have at this resort.

Room Tip: All rooms in the Ambassador and Grand Class section have amazing views! The corner rooms in the bui...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Susie, it is truly a delight for me to know that we as a team have made an excellent impression for you and your young ones over the years. And to be considered as “truly the best all inclusive experience in Mexico” motivates us even further to maintain that cherished title. We actually do of course have an employee training program that explains processes and etiquette, etc. However much of our focus goes toward the understanding and knowing of our philosophy in being outstanding hosts and what it takes to ensure that our valued guests experience vacations that eclipse their expectations. We like to give the freedom to our staff to not only act and react, but to think and plan ahead. This aspect of our service makes me very proud and it is also what helps to set us apart from other hotels. I would be honored Susie for the opportunity to meet you and your lovely family in person on you next visit in order to thank you in person for the Grand Velas loyalty that you entrust in us. Susie, I wish you all a marvelous summer in beautiful Dallas and all the best to the family. Until next time.

Bloomfield Hills, Michigan, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014

Our family is just back from a week long vacation at Grand Velas Resort in sunny Riviera Maya.

We have been trying several resorts in the area over the years and decided once more to try another one this year. We heard that Grand Velas was a great choice and this how we booked that trip.

As used as we are to this type of vacation in the region, I have to report that Grand Velas went way over our expectations. The resort itself is beautifully appointed with manicured gardens and large luxurious bedrooms.

What sets Grand Velas apart though is the quality of service that guests receive and even more so, the awesome quality of the restaurants and buffets. We are travelling a lot and enjoy gastronomy all around the world. These restaurants are literally world class and they themselves are an excellent reason to stay at Grand Velas.

You will find all ingredients that make perfect dining experiences : warm helpful staff, elegant decorum, vast menu diversity, fantastic presentation and awesome tasty dishes.

We can't wait to go back!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
DirectorGVRM, General Manager at Grand Velas Riviera Maya, responded to this review, August 21, 2014
Xavier it is really a delight to read that with your vast experience vacationing in different resorts in this region that we were able to perform “way over your expectations”. In designing not only the facilities of Grand Velas, but the standards of service and product as well, we envisioned ourselves catering to seasoned travelers such as yourselves. In aiming for that demanding and upscale market we knew that every facet of our operation had to be perfect or as close to perfection as is humanly attainable. The added dedication and focus of our 1,300 employees is targeted toward the happiness and satisfaction of our valued guests. And all those individual efforts have culminated in exactly the type of comments that you so kindly express. From the ample and luxurious suites, the attention to service details and as you emphasize our culinary tour, we believe that we have created many unforgettable vacations for the grand majority of our past and present guests. Our focus is not only to continue with that sustained success, but to constantly enhance and improve the product that you kindly invested in on your first trip. I hope Xavier that your curiosity in visiting different resorts is now at ease and that you can be confident that your future vacations to Grand Velas will continue to eclipse your expectations with each and every visit. Thank you sir for kind words and patronage and on behalf of all of our staff we wish you and your family all the best for years to come. Take care.

Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

I just returned from Grand Velas in Riviera Maya. Hadn't been there in a while and was hoping that the service and experience would be as good as last time. It was even better! The hotel facilities are impeccable - rooms are gorgeous and service everywhere (rooms, concierges, beach staff) was outstanding. Because we were there to celebrate a friends birthday, we wanted to make it extra special. We met Eric - the new Executive Chef - and he and his team pulled out all the stops. The meals were truly fantastic and they went out of their way to make everything special. The team at Bistro really wowed us with unbelievable lunches and a dinner we won't soon forget. Michel is back at Piaff - and he has some amazing new recipes! It was the first time there for our friends - and we've already decided we're going back late this fall. Why would we want to go anywhere else??????

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you Larry for sharing your splendid feelings toward Grand Velas. We are truly proud to have earned your preference as your Mexican vacation destination and I am especially pleased that you and your friends greatly enjoyed our hospitality and cuisine. Our goal in all areas is to provide our guests amazing and unforgettable experiences and with the staff that we are blessed to have that goal is very attainable. Chef Eric Maeyer has his focus not only in the kitchen but also on his guests. He and his team will be very motivated when your review is shared with the employees. Larry, it will the pleasure of all of us here at Grand Velas to be your hosts this fall and I hope that your expectations are again eclipsed with each and every visit. Take care and all the best to you and your friends in Toronto, Canada.

Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

We had a fabulous time at Grand Velas! one of the greatest experiences ever!
Staff and service were extraordinary and food was exquisite! We do highly recommend this exceptional hotel and we will sure be back soon!!! Special thumbs up to chefs Eric and Michel and managers.

Chef Claude
(Las Vegas)

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you Chef Claude for your glowing seal of approval on the service and product that Grand Velas provided you. My gastronomic management and chefs are as you found out very hands-on in the operation and very visible to our cherished guests. Their attention to detail and to the particular preferences of each and every guest certainly helps to make a great culinary experience an unforgettable one. Thank you again chef for your valued patronage and recognitions. And all the best to you in your culinary endeavors in Las Vegas. Take care.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014 via mobile

After reading hundreds of reviews on this resort, we booked our first all inclusive here at Grand Vellas! The property is truly beautiful and spotless! I went down early every morning to claim my chairs by the pool so I could be pampered by Santiago and Rodrigo as our pool staff. We were catered to all afternoon and I highly recommend to seek out your pool chairs in there section! Our daily lunch was at the Bistro as Socrates our waiter took exceptional care of us! Dinner is a must at Se Lin and I could have lived with Azul altogether.. All in all we had a great trip...please do NOT forget your sunscreen!!

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
It makes us very proud Shannon in knowing that after going through hundreds of reviews you felt confident in planning your vacation with us at Grand Velas. It is very important for this organization to maintain the luxurious and professional image that we are known for and that is reflected in the great majority of our guest’s reviews. I am glad that during your stay you found the property to be “beautiful and spotless” and that our friendly and courteous staff was taking great care of your needs. So Shannon, now that you are an experienced guest of my resort I hope that on your subsequent visits you can get even more out of your “getaways” and be pampered just the way that you like. Thank you for selecting us for your first all-inclusive vacation and I wish you all the best in your business endeavors. Take care.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014

Having just returned from the beautiful Riviera Maya in Mexico I feel compelled to write about my experience at the Grand Velas suites.
This was truly the most memorable all inclusive that I have visited in Mexico and one of the best ever. From when you drive through the impressive entrance you cannot comprehend the size of the resort and the fact that it is kept in such a magnificent condition.
On arriving at the Ambassador suite entrance we were greeted by smiling attentive staff we could not do enough for you. The welcome drinks were a lovely relief from the airport transfer and the Lobby Manager Santiago was a gentleman.
Our suite with sea views was stunning albeit a little small for a four person family with a teenager but the suites were very well decorated and very clean. The views of the sea and pool were breath-taking and really were picture postcard. Around the pool we were attended by what I can only describe as the best pool waiters I have ever met. Rodrigo, Manuel, Santiago and Wilberth were so attentive but not intrusive and catered for all our needs with courtesy and a smile. Nothing was to much for them and our beds by the pool were ready every morning with fresh towels and iced buckets of bottled water in readiness for a long day in the sun.
The various restaurants served all manner of delicious food and my children looked forward to meal times every day. A teenagers club ( no adults allowed ) gave my 13year old son some much needed own time and all range of different activities kept him and his new found friends out of mischief. The restaurants were truly of gourmet standard and the service was to match.
This resort stands out above all others in Mexico for a family holiday and is a treasure waiting to be discovered. A truly amazing resort, managed by a fantastic staff made this such a memorable holiday.

Regards

Michael Casey

Room Tip: Suites need to be bigger to accommodate a family of four with teenagers.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
DirectorGVRM, Director General at Grand Velas Riviera Maya, responded to this review, August 29, 2014
Hello Micky, I am overjoyed that your family vacation with us left such memorable impressions on you. In finding "the most memorable all-inclusive in Mexico", it reaffirms to us that we continue eclipse the expectations of our cherished guests. I am very pleased that your children were highly entertained throughout the resort and always looking forward to their next culinary experience at our eight venues. The personal and professional service that you describe in various areas of the hotel is very indicative of our overall philosophy, which is to have you feel that you are truly special and that our focus is to make you want for nothing.

From Santiago at your check in, to our fine crew of servers on the beach and at the pools and of course all of the 1,300 Grand Velas employees we thank you for honoring us with your vacation presence and we hope that with this first experience it will not be the last. Mr. Casey, thank you so much for your motivating words and high praises and we await you at your service on your next Grand Velas experience. Take care and all the best to you and your family this summer.

rgonzalezgvrm@velasresorts.com

Been to Grand Velas Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!