“One of the greatest experience ever!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Velas Riviera Maya

You added Grand Velas Riviera Maya to your Saves list
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Cancun Tulum Km. 62 | Municipio de Solidaridad, Quintana Roo, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Offers & Announcements
Package Deal
Ranked #9 of 200 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Las Vegas, Nevada
“One of the greatest experience ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

We had a fabulous time at Grand Velas! one of the greatest experiences ever!
Staff and service were extraordinary and food was exquisite! We do highly recommend this exceptional hotel and we will sure be back soon!!! Special thumbs up to chefs Eric and Michel and managers.

Chef Claude
(Las Vegas)

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
DirectorGVRM, General Manager at Grand Velas Riviera Maya, responded to this review, August 21, 2014
Thank you Chef Claude for your glowing seal of approval on the service and product that Grand Velas provided you. My gastronomic management and chefs are as you found out very hands-on in the operation and very visible to our cherished guests. Their attention to detail and to the particular preferences of each and every guest certainly helps to make a great culinary experience an unforgettable one. Thank you again chef for your valued patronage and recognitions. And all the best to you in your culinary endeavors in Las Vegas. Take care.

rgonzalezgvrm@velasresorts.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (480)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014 via mobile

After reading hundreds of reviews on this resort, we booked our first all inclusive here at Grand Vellas! The property is truly beautiful and spotless! I went down early every morning to claim my chairs by the pool so I could be pampered by Santiago and Rodrigo as our pool staff. We were catered to all afternoon and I highly recommend to seek out your pool chairs in there section! Our daily lunch was at the Bistro as Socrates our waiter took exceptional care of us! Dinner is a must at Se Lin and I could have lived with Azul altogether.. All in all we had a great trip...please do NOT forget your sunscreen!!

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
It makes us very proud Shannon in knowing that after going through hundreds of reviews you felt confident in planning your vacation with us at Grand Velas. It is very important for this organization to maintain the luxurious and professional image that we are known for and that is reflected in the great majority of our guest’s reviews. I am glad that during your stay you found the property to be “beautiful and spotless” and that our friendly and courteous staff was taking great care of your needs. So Shannon, now that you are an experienced guest of my resort I hope that on your subsequent visits you can get even more out of your “getaways” and be pampered just the way that you like. Thank you for selecting us for your first all-inclusive vacation and I wish you all the best in your business endeavors. Take care.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014

Having just returned from the beautiful Riviera Maya in Mexico I feel compelled to write about my experience at the Grand Velas suites.
This was truly the most memorable all inclusive that I have visited in Mexico and one of the best ever. From when you drive through the impressive entrance you cannot comprehend the size of the resort and the fact that it is kept in such a magnificent condition.
On arriving at the Ambassador suite entrance we were greeted by smiling attentive staff we could not do enough for you. The welcome drinks were a lovely relief from the airport transfer and the Lobby Manager Santiago was a gentleman.
Our suite with sea views was stunning albeit a little small for a four person family with a teenager but the suites were very well decorated and very clean. The views of the sea and pool were breath-taking and really were picture postcard. Around the pool we were attended by what I can only describe as the best pool waiters I have ever met. Rodrigo, Manuel, Santiago and Wilberth were so attentive but not intrusive and catered for all our needs with courtesy and a smile. Nothing was to much for them and our beds by the pool were ready every morning with fresh towels and iced buckets of bottled water in readiness for a long day in the sun.
The various restaurants served all manner of delicious food and my children looked forward to meal times every day. A teenagers club ( no adults allowed ) gave my 13year old son some much needed own time and all range of different activities kept him and his new found friends out of mischief. The restaurants were truly of gourmet standard and the service was to match.
This resort stands out above all others in Mexico for a family holiday and is a treasure waiting to be discovered. A truly amazing resort, managed by a fantastic staff made this such a memorable holiday.

Regards

Michael Casey

Room Tip: Suites need to be bigger to accommodate a family of four with teenagers.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
DirectorGVRM, Director General at Grand Velas Riviera Maya, responded to this review, August 29, 2014
Hello Micky, I am overjoyed that your family vacation with us left such memorable impressions on you. In finding "the most memorable all-inclusive in Mexico", it reaffirms to us that we continue eclipse the expectations of our cherished guests. I am very pleased that your children were highly entertained throughout the resort and always looking forward to their next culinary experience at our eight venues. The personal and professional service that you describe in various areas of the hotel is very indicative of our overall philosophy, which is to have you feel that you are truly special and that our focus is to make you want for nothing.

From Santiago at your check in, to our fine crew of servers on the beach and at the pools and of course all of the 1,300 Grand Velas employees we thank you for honoring us with your vacation presence and we hope that with this first experience it will not be the last. Mr. Casey, thank you so much for your motivating words and high praises and we await you at your service on your next Grand Velas experience. Take care and all the best to you and your family this summer.

Petaluma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

So many excellent features about this property. The rooms are very nice, they had every feature our family of four needed at our fingertips. They accommodated every request we made. We had a bottom level suite right next to the pool which was very convenient for us and our little ones. Service at the pool was excellent, quality food and drinks with friendly staff. The non-buffet restaurants were excellent with excellent food and service. We had average to good meals at the Azul and Chaka buffets. The only down sides were the room service food was not as good and the onsite excursion company that helped to book our excursion was caught up in some confusion the morning of our excursion. There were a lot of activities to keep the kids (9 and 12) occupied all throughout the day. The beach is very nice with a good noon buffet and kids activities.

Room Tip: We were close to the kids/teens club in the Ambassador area and where the supplies were kept for the...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Thank you very much for sharing your important observations on your recent vacation with us. It pleases me immensely that you found “so many excellent features to the property” and that the kids were well entertained throughout your stay. As Director General of the resort I, along with my employees certainly try to attain a level of excellence in all aspects of our product and service. We are constantly looking for ways to eliminate the “almost” from the phrase “almost excellent” and thanks to your insights I can look into further bettering our culinary tour specifically as you point out our buffets and room service quality. Normally these are two areas that are our shining stars, but I will most certainly be inspecting the “almost” aspects of your review including the operation of the tour agency that you referred to. I am pleased that you brought your positive experiences to my attention along with some thoughtful improvements that are very much within my reach and I thank you again for taking the time to review us. From all of us here we send you warm greetings to lovely Petaluma, California. Take care.

Woodford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

We are well travelled but have never took the time to review , however I feel that on this occasion it's a must. Grand Velas far exceeded all our expectations , we cannot fault anything. Service everywhere was excellent. We stayed in the zen area which was just amazing. Jerry , Alex , Bautista and the team at pool zen were superb whilst Antonio and Felix worked the floor to perfection waiting on us in Chaka & Lucca Restaurants. All food was excellent , nothing was too much trouble. The spa is also a must and equally to the same high standards. Thank you Grand Velas for such a memorable holiday ! We will be back.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Thank you very much Peter for your thoughtful compliments towards this resort. It makes me proud to note that your “memorable” vacation experience with us compelled you to finally write a review and it is especially nice to know that for travelling from afar we were able to make the journey really well worth it. The service aspect that you so glowingly talk about is just one of our stars. Persons such as those that you kindly mention are very dedicated to the well being and comfort of their guests. Not only in providing a service, but in providing a friendly and memorable bond as well. I am glad that our culinary tour was to the great liking of you and your family and that you highly recommend our spa. We take a lot of pride in the high standards of our facilities and professional skill in both of those areas. Thank you again Peter for your splendid words and for your valued patronage. We look forward to hosting your kind family again when the need for “pure excellence” is called upon. Take care and warm regards to Woodford Green, England. Cheers!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014 via mobile

We just got back from our second trip to Grand Velas Riviera Maya. We love the resort and the level of service that they deliver, but what happened to the food quality over the last year? The buffet at Azul was not up to the quality that this resort and their prices deserve. Frida, was excellent, and Lucca was great one night, but only ok the second night. On the positive side this resort is still beautiful and the service is fantastic, especially if you compare it to a resort in the Caribbean. There are tons of things for the kids, and our seven year old didn't want to leave.

Will return one day to this site or the Nuevo Vallarta site.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Marc, I thank you very much, firstly for your continued loyalty to the resort and secondly for bringing to my attention your concerns over your culinary experience. This is the second recent comment that mentions room for improvement on our buffets. I have instructed my executive chef Eric Maeyer to review this area and to make positive changes to the quality and presentation in order not to receive any other negative comments on this. Our culinary tour is a very important aspect of what we are and in terms of quality I will not settle for anything but the best. I am grateful for your concerns and I truly appreciate knowing your feelings and I take them as a sign of gratitude from a guest who really wants us to be better. I am also happy that overall you and our family enjoyed yourselves immensely and that you will be returning at some time in the future whether it be here in Playa del Carmen or at our sister Grand Velas in Riviera Nayarit. I hope that wherever it may be you sense the commitment to excellence that we are working for and that your impression of us continues to be positive. Thank you again Marc and on behalf of the 2,600 Velas Group employees we wish you and your family a terrific summer in your home town. Take care.

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

My partner's mom takes the whole family on a yearly vacation. This was our second time at Grand Velas RM. We went to Grand Velas Puerto Vallarta year before. While both properties are wonderful, Riviera Maya wins our loyalty. It is a large property with so many options for dining, recreation and just tons of vacation fun. Beautifully designed property and impeccable upkeep. Amazing beach with gorgeous warm clear water. Service is perfect. May not be super quick but always completed with a smile. Excellent food for an all inclusive property. Another great plus is an adult only wing with pool, bar and restaurants so can be almost kiddie free if you need a kiddie break. ;-) Ten minute taxi ride to Playa Del Carmen.
Can't wait to go back! Love love love!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Top floors have vaulted ceilings and best views of beach; especially in adult wing (Grand Class).
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Kirk, on behalf of all of the dedicated employees in each of our Velas Group of Hotels we send you a hearty thank you for your proven loyalty to the brand. I am very glad that you consider both Grand Velas´ to be wonderful and I am grateful that you found Grand Velas Riviera Maya to be more conducive to your style and needs. The overall size of the property along with its many culinary options helps to provide our guests with days and nights of splendid variety and enjoyment. And please be assured Kirk that your kind accolades will be distributed in Spanish to all of our staff as a great motivator for a job well done. You now know about our Grand Class ambience where you will find only adults and just as you have mentioned you can now enjoy all there is at Grand Velas and be “kiddie free” if you so decide. Thank you again Kirk for that precious loyalty and it will be our onus to reciprocate the faith that you bestow on us in the form of many wonderful and unforgettable vacations. Take care and kind regards to you and the family in Atlanta, Georgia.

rgonzalezgvrm@velasresorts.com

Been to Grand Velas Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!