“Great Experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Velas Riviera Maya

You added Grand Velas Riviera Maya to your Saves list
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Cancun Tulum Km. 62 | Municipio de Solidaridad, Quintana Roo, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Offers & Announcements
Package Deal
Ranked #8 of 201 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Glenview, Illinois
“Great Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

My family and I stayed at the Grand Velas all inclusive this August. We had the time of our lives.
The service was terrific, including the staff lifting my daughters 350 lb wheelchair in and out of the vans so that we could enjoy all the restaurants and the spa. The food was wonderful, we especially loved Frida's. The room service was great and the lunch at the pool and beach were perfect.

We are a family of five with teenagers and they loved all the activities available and the smoothies! We took advantage of all the services including the trainer (he was great), the work out area and the spa was so fabulous that I will return for the massage.

We highly recommend this all inclusive for any occasion. Go, you will not regret it.
Worth the money.

Room Tip: Family friendly rooms are closest to the pool.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
GVRM, Director General at Grand Velas Riviera Maya, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Thank you for taking the time in putting your fine comments on TripAdvisor. There are many elements to a great vacation and we strive to make all of them come together in order that the entire family truly enjoys their experience. We appreciate your enthusiasm in recommending us, and as a motivator to our staff I will display your comment for all to see. Thank you again and we greatly await your return.

Grand Velas Resorts

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (406)
Puerto Vallarta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

In June 2013 I had the pleasure to re visit Grand Velas Resort and Spa in Playa del Carmen! I am truly in love with this Resort!! I happen to work as a wedding planner and have been to resorts in many parts of Mexico,many beautiful and accomodating. My Husband I also go to Cancun every other year for a 4 to 5 night stay for his work,I get to relax and take in the beauty of this little piece of pradise. The momment you arrive to the front gate you enter a lush tropical entryway that is a long very beautiful private road that lead to the Hotel. There are several staff that greet you at your car, everyone stops to welcome you or say ¨Good Afternoon!¨you feel immediatly like royalty! They present you a cold lightly sented cloth and a cool drink! I needed that after a long flight!! The lobby area is very soothing and relaxing in the design of the lobby check in, and you do get checked in very quikly. No one wants to sit around a lobby for 45 minutes.Here it is smooth and quik!

The rooms are very well appointed and spacious, we had the Jacuzzi in the bathtub, a desk for our computers, the servi bar had all the essentials, as well as bath robe,slippers. Wonderful natural luxury toilettries!

Then after we headed to the pool, the pool is looking right out to the ocean, the teal ocean with beautiful white sand. You can sit on the beach and order anything you like as Grand Velas is All -Inclusive!! My husand is very picky about his tequila and they have the very best!! The food in the restaurants is excellent as well as the service. They obviously spend many hours training their staff as they are there for your beck and call when you need anything! Yet they are not intrusive. There are fun activities yet never annoying loud music, or activities staff on the mic yelling all day.

I do love to go out and hear dance music yet my idea was to come to a resort that I would feel as pampered and cared for as I do in my business for my clients. I am here to enjoy, relax and have a little romantic getaway!!

Of course I had to visit the spa!! OHH la la!! I must confess I was pampered from head to toe!! Massage, treatment room, then this amazing warm pool that is inside the spa, it is enormous and you feel like you are in a different world..I just wanted to cacoon and fall asleep on a comfy lounger and I did at the end of my treatments! There is a Spa for Men and Seperate area for the ladies so I urge you to book some treatments.I spoke to the Spa Manager about the stress in my neck and lower back and she suggested some great treatments. They even have a really unique little pedicure bowls with little fish that kiss your toes, it is a little ticklish and sensual as well! I have never had that happen before!!!

We also must say we are foodies and each day you can have a different type of food in the evening Restaurants.They do have some dress codes and I like this as we like to get jazzed up to dine out. We went on some day trips to Xelha, and Tulum and they are close by and the Hotel arranged the trips and transport. They can book you any day trips you like!

We just love Grand Velas Playa del Carmen, we have been to many,many hotels in Cancun and finally I found a place that I feel like I am really on vacation!

I want to Thank the Managers, and all the staff for making our second trip in 3 years to Grand Velas Playa del Carmend a memorable one! I can hardly wait to come back!

Best Regards, Tamara Bradley

Room Tip: We had the room on the top floor and loved looking out to the ocean at sunset. We were in the main r...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you Tamara, for indulging in the some of the many amenities and services that Grand Velas has to offer. Your review sounds as if you enjoyed total relaxation during your respite with us. You wrote “I would feel pampered and catered to”. That is exactly our goal for all of our guests when they decide to reserve with us. It is our true pleasure to provide the luxury and attention that you are expecting. And in reaching that goal with each guest, we are sure that they will return again in the future, with the guarantee in mind that their vacation will be yet another memorable one, just as it was with your recent stay with us. Thank you again Tamara, and we look forward to hosting you and your husband for a third time.

São Paulo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Nice beach, excellent food, beautiful rooms, very nice staff. Stayed in the Zen Section which has a very nice pool complex, kids loved it. Not so crowded as the beach front pools. Worth the price. Highly recommend this all inclusive resort.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
I am certainly pleased that we reached and surpassed your expectations. Your kind description of some of our products and services confirm that your vacation was worth the price. Our goal is to produce a feeling of value in our guests and that their decision to select Grand Velas was a correct one. Thank you for your visit and special regards to Sao Paolo.

Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Highly recommend it for those who want to travel with their families and/or travel with other families. Hotel is very kid friendly (has a teen and kids club). The room are big and beautiful; staff is courteous and helpful. Also the SPA is top of the class with a good variety of services.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for selecting Grand Velas for your family vacation. As you well know by now, the resort is fully capable in pleasing the needs of large families, which may at times be a very laborious endeavor for the organizers of the trip. But once you arrive at Grand Velas, all you need to do is settle into your suites. From then on, our staff can organize the needs of the family as a group or individually, which allows you, the organizer, to enjoy even more of your stress free, vacation time. Thank you again for your review and we would be honored to host you and your delightful family for a second time next year.

Carrollton, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

I highly recommend this all inclusive resort because of it's beautiful ocean view from my room, the great food, great service, beautiful room and amenities! I especially enjoyed the plunge pool in my room on my balcony to cool off from the hot sun!

Room Tip: The Grand Class rooms have the fabulous private plunge pool on your balcony.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
GVRM, Director General at Grand Velas Riviera Maya, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Your description of the plunge pool on your patio sounds so enticing! I can just imagine you relaxing in your own private pool after a long day at the beach and aqua bar. A very fitting scenario in which to order some room service and watch the majestic ocean. I am pleased that you were able to relax during your stay and that you would highly recommend us. Thank you for your kind words.

Fernando García Rossette
Director
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

I was hesitant to book this hotel as there are so many hotels I wondered if this hotel was worth the price tag.
Top three things I loved
1- food
2- costumer service
3- spa
First I must say my trip started out horrible, with a confusion from the pick up transfer I ended up having to take a cab from the airport to the hotel as somehow the hotel driver was not there so I was extremely hesitant as soon as I got to the resort but as soon as I arrived there very apologetic and friendly, they even let me check in early and took me emidietly to my room and from there we headed to lunch.
Everybody raved about azul in most reviews but to me that was my least favorite place, loved bistro, the breakfast there might of been the best breakfast I've ever had, Piaf was amazing, fridas was good but the only one I was not impressed with was Cocina de autor, I normally am a foodie and am open to trying new foods and always go to nice restaurants but was not impressed with the food.
Now the staff, wowwwwww that's worth every penny, there where all outstanding, attentive and always out of their way to make you happy and make sure you feel right at home.
The SPA = WOW I go to menu spa's and this was defenetly my favorite to date, loved it.
Overall a very good trip.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your various comments and I am pleased that your vacation with us was a success. You were able to experience many of the facets that make up Grand Velas and arrive at the conclusion as you put, “overall a very good trip”. I am also pleased that we overcame nicely the confusion over your airport transfer. It is important to note that when obstacles present themselves in the way, our goal is to first make our cherished client comfortable and satisfied. And that is just what we were able to do in your case, simply because we know the tremendous importance of a first impression. Thank you again for selecting Grand Velas and putting us to the test. I truly believe that in reading your review we passed the exam.

Best Regards,
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

Just stayed at Grand Velas Aug 25-28 for the first time
THe sense of arrival is wonderful............the entrance is serence and the long drive in through the mangroves was beautifully landscaped.
We stayed in the Ambassador section with a gorgeous room and fully oceanfront (Grand Class is also oceanfront and Zen is in the jungle)
The staff was so accommodating and friendly. The resort was not very busy so we enjoyed an almost private beach and pools at times
The food is excellent with a good selection of restaurants and room service was surprisingly good. Oscar at the Grand Class pool was an excellent bartender! Allesio our conceirge was very attentive too. Lots of times the staff anticipated what we wanted before we even asked.
Only drawback is that there is no entertainment (or wasnt while we were there). They could use a fun place to go at night to interact with other guests.
The beach is not as pretty and clean as Maroma just a few miles down the road.
The Spa was AMAZING..........I have been to ALOT of nice spas and I rate this one as one of the best. Hydrotherapy circuit is relaxing and I had a wonderful massage and facial.

Room Tip: First floor has biggest balconies but lose view, second floor balconies are big but again you lose v...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your thoughts on your stay with us this past August. You are absolutely right in describing the entrance to the resort. Upon entering the main portal you can immediately sense that you are in for something monumental. The two kilometer drive to the Ambassador section is lined with mangroves, and the path is bordered with elegant landscaping made up of gardens of bonsai style plants, miniature palm trees and white stone decoration. All this adds to the anticipation of what awaits in the resort itself. I am truly delighted that your vacation was a marvelous one. Our girls in the Spa send you their greetings.

Hope to host you again soon,
Director General / Managing Director

Been to Grand Velas Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!