I've been very hesitant to write this review, as I've seen how defensive the hotel's responses to negative feedback have been, but I feel it's only fair to share our experience with those looking at these reviews to make a decision about traveling here.
This was our second trip to GVRM. The first time was amazing! Everyone went above & beyond for us. We even decided to have our wedding here (after being discouraged to do so by a destination wedding travel agent) because everything was was so wonderful the first time. Big mistake! When we arrived this time there was nothing special about it. The first time we were here we were asked to have a seat after a long day of travel, offered a drink & a brief neck massage, this time....nothing. Our whole group stood in line at the check-in counter, hot & sweating, as they asked to see our travel vouchers. We were sent off to our rooms with our concierge, who we never saw after the first day.
Our rooms were in the Zen section of the hotel. There was a musky smell upon arrival, the water pressure in our restroom was very weak & we had to call maintenance for assistance within the first few minutes. Our room had a plunge pool on the patio, but we never used it because there were so many mosquitos.
Late one night, when we came back from dinner, we had very large ants in our room that crawled through the patio door even though it hadn't been opened. There was a can of Raid in the closet that they suggested we use, but we asked to be moved because they were everywhere. They, hesitantly, moved us after several calls & over an hour of waiting.
Our wedding, actually, turned out beautiful. How could it not in such a beautiful location? But my wedding coordinator was a nightmare. After having to switch coordinators because of a lack of response from the first one, the new coordinator & I communicated for months before the wedding to make sure everything would go as planned.
Before our trip, I received a final invoice showing a substantial credit. I double checked with the coordinator to make sure this wasn't a mistake. She insisted it was correct & even suggested I add extras to the wedding to offset the credit. (Ploy to get us to spend more money, maybe?)
However, while my family & I were at the spa (the day of the wedding), my wedding coordinator showed up & said she'd just sent me an email stating she made a mistake & I no longer had a credit, but now she was surprising me with a rather large bill! Clearly upset by this BIG mistake, we asked to speak with her manager to see how a mistake like this could've happened. For the record, we would've taken care of the entire bill, if it was determined we were at fault. We were just upset a mistake was made to begin with, & especially, with the way it was brought to our attention in front of everyone at the spa just hours before the wedding.
After all was said & done they owned up to the mistake, but told me I no longer had a credit, but was left with a bill at the spa. It was "supposed" to be my special day & I didn't want anything to ruin it, so I agreed to pay it, so we could just put the whole thing behind us.
From that moment forward, everyone's attitude toward us changed. The people at the spa were no longer as attentive or friendly, except for Nadia who did my hair & make-up & who was was so supportive as she tried to console me during this whole ordeal. Our wedding coordinator was just hostile and rude to my mom, who, actually, had to make last minute changes to the ceremony site because it wasn't finished. The coordinator did put on a smile in front of my guests, but just made us feel uncomfortable for the rest of the night.
When you look back on your wedding day, it should be a joyful memory. We made the best of the day & enjoyed our friends & family, but when I look back on our day, I can't help but feel sad that this whole situation could've been avoided if I would've just chosen a hotel who values their guests more than GV. Needless to say, we won't be returning or recommending this hotel to anyone.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Opened in 2008, the luxurious All Inclusive Luxury Resort Grand Velas Riviera Maya is one of the newest resorts to distinguish Riviera Maya as a premier vacation destination. The uniquely Mexican world-class hospitality we provide is "Beyond All Inclusive, Beyond All Compare", and we are proud to be the only family-friendly All Inclusive resort in the Mexican Caribbean to have been rated Five Diamonds by the AAA. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Odigeo and Jetsetter so you can book your Grand Velas Riviera Maya reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Velas All Suites And Spa Resort, Riviera Maya
- Grand Velas All Suites & Spa Resort, Riviera Maya Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Grand Velas Hotel Riviera Maya
- Grand Velas Riviera Maya Playa Del Carmen, Mexico