“Destination Wedding @ Grand Velas” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Velas Riviera Maya

Save Saved
You added Grand Velas Riviera Maya to your Saves list
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Cancun Tulum Km. 62 | Municipio de Solidaridad, Quintana Roo, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Offers & Announcements
Package Deal
Ranked #10 of 199 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
“Destination Wedding @ Grand Velas”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

LOVED LOVED LOVED Grand Velas and loved it even more that this was the resort were we had our wedding.

The ++++ about the resort:
- Ambiance is unreal! As soon as you pull into the resort it was just amazing. We loved the attention to the detail with the decor, architecture, plants and flowers. It was just amazing! Also the staff provides you with this wonderful tea as your checking into the hotel. I must say what a personal touch
- Food. Probably one of the best foods we have had at any all-inclusive resort. Try to go to the french restaurant and ask for the bread stuff with Roquefort cheese. Just thinking about it makes me salivate okay not really. The buffet (Azul) in the morning at the Grand right on the beach is just a huge collection of different types of food and goodies. We preferred going there than breakfast in our suite because of the food selection. I know lame but the breakfast in bed was romantic the food choices and omelets were not as good as the Azul restaurant. We didn't get a chance to eat at the bistro for lunch or breakfast but we heard it was one of the better restaurants for lunch from our wedding guests.
- Pools. Mainly we stayed at the main pool and all of our wedding guests migrated there. We ordered food and drinks from one of the waiters and he was more than happy to provide us our drinks and food. Definitely ask for the following drinks blueberry mojito, dirty monkey, any frozen goodness.

now the - - - negatives
- Beach. The water was blue and gorgeous however there were rocks in the ocean. I recommend that Grand Velas remove these items so guests can enjoy the beach.
- Water activities. Since there were rocks in the ocean I was a little shock they offered paddle boarding as an activity. My husband was paddle boarding and unfortunately slipped and hit his shoulder on the rock. It wasn't anything serious thank goodness but it could have been. For the staff at Grand Velas this is a situation that can be avoided and could cause the resort financial harm if not addressed.
- WiFi. For the price you are paying for there is no free WiFi but we found that this is common at most Playa del Carmen resorts because we are in the jungle. However, at least provide free WiFi in the lobby or local areas.

My husband and I have stayed at 3x at Playa Del Carmen and by far Grand Velas is one of our favorite resorts. It is pricey but definitely worth it. The service was amazing and the people were just so generous and kind. If you don't like the price point at Grand Velas then check our El Dorado Maroma beach which is another great boutique resort if you don't like the crowds.

Here is some feedback for anyone planning a wedding at Grand Velas:
Unfortunately I had about 4 different wedding planners during my course of planning my wedding which didn't give me the confidence as a bride that things would be taking care of. However, Yazury which I highly recommend was just amazing and took the reins of helping me plan my wedding. Some things to look out for if you are planning on having an event at the zen pool at night is there are mosquitoes so please make sure you bring repellant spray to not annoy your guests. Negotiate negotiate everything the flowers, DJ, lights, all of it. I brought most of my decorations to the resort but I had to travel with them on the plane. Be careful if you do this because you will be stopped at customs if you are bringing tons of bags and they will ask you to unpack your bags. Try to have family take some of bags with them. If you spend more than 300 dollars on decorations or gifts they will ask you to pay taxes, so luckily I did everything handmade and stretch the truth somewhat. I will say that was the most annoying part about the whole wedding planning was dealing with customs and having them look through our bags. We had our wedding ceremony at a catholic church not on 5th avenue but another location. I recommend the church on 5th avenue. However all in all, the wedding was just stunning and beautiful I couldn't have imagined it any other way. We did a cake tasting the day we arrive at Grand Velas which was a good thing because we didn't get a chance to eat our cake at the wedding. I was also worried about my hair and make-up at the spa but I did a trial, and I could not have been any happier. My husband and I were just so pleased how wonderful our wedding was and our friends to this day say our wedding was "epic." cheers to the staff at Grand Velas and good luck to the destination brides to be

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
GVRM, Gerente at Grand Velas Riviera Maya, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Dear guest,

Allow me to thank you for choosing Grand Velas Riviera Maya for your wedding destination, It is such an honor to know that our facilities and services have fulfilled your expectations and made a memorable experience for you and your family. Providing with the best service to our guests is one of our priorities and we are glad that we made it possible with you!

We hope to have the opportunity to host you again.

Jessica Gonzalez

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (379)
Round Rock, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

We love this place!!! Pool area=fabulous, pool side staff is attentive, it is immaculate. If you are travelling with your family, there are activities offered for the little ones during the day. If you are there to get away from little ones, there is a separate adult only section. Food=amazing! Love it all!! Hotel Room= gorgeous, clean, comfortable, you feel pampered from the soap to the pillow chocolates. Beach=beautiful....
BUT.....
Still, nothing to do in the evenings. There is a karaoke bar which is unadvertised and thus not well attended. If you want to do anything in the evenings, you have to go in to town. To me, the point of staying in an all inclusive is to pay once and be done. Talking poolside, it was the only negative from everyone.
This was our 2nd time here and I made the same comment last year.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear guest,

On behalf of Grand Velas Riviera Maya, we would like to thank you for your preference.

Xalapa, Mexico
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

For the second time I spent 5 days in Grand Velas Riviera Maya, and for the second time, I was very very dissapointed. Although the place is gorgeous, the service is almost poor.

This year I visited the resort in March, the weather was perfect, and normally it is a high demanded season, so I expected it to be at least at 80%.... but it was almost death!... only my work group and about 2 - 3 more couples were around, so my friends and I expected a very nice and personalized service... we couldn't be more wrong.

The company I work for has some kind of agreement with Grand Velas for a yearly event, we are a very large group, about 2000 persons. The company pays a huge amount to the resort so we can have a state of the art event in Mexico and the best service, meals and beverages.

At the full event, we were treated as we were not guests at all, waiters, concierges, etc just ignored us, you had to run behind them to ask them for beverages or snaks or just to ask something.

The worse part was that every pool/beach service finish at 6pm, and sun goes down until 8:30pm, so if you wanted ANY beverage you should go to your room and get it... AND pools closed at 7pm, so we couldn't have any pool activity after the conference because it was close, and if you wanted to drink anything you should go to a restaurant or wait until 8pm to the piano bar to open. I've been in several Riviera Maya AI resorts a never seen something like that...

At the conference center everything was just ok, cold cofee at times, and hard pieces of bread at breakfast... nothing 5 diamonds alike.

Almost half of the people who attended the conference stayed until dark the last day, just to catch some sun and relax, some of them stayed a couple of days after. But we, the ones that stayed the last day, booked late flights to enjoy the resort without work.... the surprise was that they stopped giving you service or prividing food/beverages after 1pm!!!!! if you wanted something to eat/drink they would charge it at very very expensive prices... our flight left at 9pm, so everything we paid in drinks and food after 1pm it we could have paid for another room in a more decent hotel.

Definitely is not worth the price... there are a lot of better AI resorts in Riviera Maya, go to the Iberostar Grand or Secrets Maroma... don't waste your time and money in this one.

Room Tip: Don't ever book a jungle room. You'll die of dengue.... too many mosquitoes.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
GVRM, Gerente at Grand Velas Riviera Maya, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Dear guest,

First of all, I would like to thank you for your visit to Grand Velas Riviera Maya on you most recent convention trip. All your comments a very important to us since they are the way we find an opportunity to enhance the excellent service that we already offer.

l consider important to inform you that we have been hosting groups for conventions and meetings for years, handled by very experienced coordinators searching for the best way to accommodate all their requirements.

Looking forward to have the opportunity to serve you in a near future

San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

We stayed here because some good friends of ours were getting married on the beach at the resort. It was actually very quiet - June apparently falls in the slow season in the Riviera Maya area, although there were a couple of B-list celebrities we kept running into at dinner and the karaoke bar. That was interesting.

The resort itself was lovely. The rooms were beautiful, the grounds were very groomed and lush, the pools were gorgeous, and the food was great (we REALLY loved Cocina de Autor. Really.) The service was inconsistent, though. At times, it was overwhelmingly attentive while other times it was frustratingly nonchalant and almost inconsiderate. Getting around the resort was very easy. Regular shuttles ran a circuit through the grounds, but getting around outside the resort was expensive.

All that being said, we didn't love staying here and will not return unless similar nuptial circumstances arise in the future. While luxurious and lovely, it's still incredibly expensive and needlessly extravagant for our tastes. It was hard to feel comfortable in a place like that in a country where minimum wage is roughly $6 USD a DAY, and frankly, the lavishness is wasted on us! Everything was huge and cavernous. Cabanas La Luna on the beach in Tulum was intimate and much more our pace.

In all, if you want to get away to a really luxurious room with excellent food and you're not really looking to venture out much, this place is excellent. It just didn't suit us.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Dear guest,

Warm greetings from Grand Velas Riviera Maya! We would like to thank you for your visit on your most recent stay in paradise and for your invaluable comments. We hope to have the opportunity to serve you in your next vacations!!

Best regards,

New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

I was recently at Grand Velas Riviera Maya for a wedding and other than the views of the beach the resort came up short everywhere else. The hotel is quite expensive and the service was horribly slow. They hotel was opperating at 30% occupancy and they still could not accomidate even simple requests. The service is bad, the food is average, and every request was an ordeal. Some servers would not even acknowledge you. Simple requests took 45 minutes to an hour to complete. I had a reservation for 3 at one of their resturants, and made the simple request to add a 4th (the resturant was half full) and they said they couln't make the change. It blew my mind. Money was stolen from me (out of the safe nontheless; which is crazy). I heard of other items being taken from quests as well. I will never go back and I hope no one else does either.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

We certainly appreciate your comments, all of them provide us with the opportunity to improve our services. Rest assured that your feedback will be shared to the concerning areas for its consideration. As per the service we are sorry that you had such perspective since we are always trying to provide the best experience,

Hopefully we can host you again in the future and do not hesistate to contact me for further information,

Driftwood, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

My biggest fear about this year's trip to GV was that it would not live up to the experience last year at the Puerto Vallarta location. No worries--it did, and more! GV is simply the BEST. Worth the price. Already saving for next trip. Thank you, GV, for another wonderful vacation.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
GVRM, Gerente at Grand Velas Riviera Maya, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Dear guests,

On behalf of Grand Velas Riviera Maya we would like to thank you for your preference. It is our mission to search for excellence and guest’s satisfaction every day and your comments encourage us to continue with this effort,

Looking forward to have the opportunity to host you soon.

Kindest regards,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

Me and my wife were on our honeymoon and booked this well in advance last September. The reviews of the hotel were an attraction but the hotels website and factual videos etc helped us with our choice.

We didn't choose the honeymoon package and proceeded with the standard Grand Class Suite Package with a Sea View Suite.

Upon arrival we were amazed by the views of the jungle and scenery in general. We arrived at the entrance to our section of the resort and greeted with drinks and a very helpful guy who took charge of our luggage including hand luggage.

We were sat down with one of the concierge members of staff who went through our booking and did the checkin process. We were then led up to our room again not having to worry about our luggage as this was being dealt with. As soon as we arrived at the room a butler was there to greet us and take us through every aspect of the suite and mini bar etc. A few minutes later our luggage arrived and was kindly placed on stands ready for us to open at our leisure.

We were then left to our own business and if we needed anything to contact the various areas via phone (which there was 3 of them in the suite!).

The 10 night stay was out of this world, the guys on front desk every day greeted us as Mr & Mrs, one guy even stood up every time we went past. They asked us daily what we had planned and asked if we needed a booking in any of the restaurants open that day.

The cleanliness was amazing, our room cleaned daily with fresh towels and bed linen if we decided we wanted this changing.

We often ordered room service and this always arrived before the time scale they specified, every time the food was amazing and we even asked on the last day - an hour before checking out for a grilled chicken burger which wasn't on the menu - the chef still did this for us!!

On the first night, we arrived into our room with rose petals in the jacuzzi bath, champagne on ice and also chocolate strawberries presented beautifully on a plate. Needless to say we really enjoyed our first night at the resort.

The staff from the cleaners, the butlers, the beach waiters etc were so so helpful and always professional. Nothing was too much bother and they were always on hand to assist with your every need.

The room contained a TV, mini bar (Changed daily and you can have this customised to your choices!), coffee maker, his n her sinks, bath, plunge pool, iPod / USB, CD audio player, Shower Cubical, Walk in Wardrobe, Iron and Ironing Board, Hairdryer, Mozzi spray, Insect Spray, L and XL dressing gown, Washing bag, Safe Deposit Box, King Size Bed, Sofa, Plunge Pool, Balcony Bed......more than enough for a home from home!

The swimming pool was brilliant, always felt quiet with plenty of sun beds available (and not reserved by people getting up early as this isn't allowed!!). Pool side bar with more cocktails available than I actually know about! As soon as you arrive you are asked where you would like to sit and provided with two towels and fresh water bottles in a bucket of ice. If you want your parasol erecting then they do this for you too!! Nothing is too much trouble and they make you feel like you dont need to do a thing!

When we arrived on the beach for a day enjoying the sand, we again got the same level of service, including again a quiet experience. The sand was white, not too hot and maintained daily by the hotel to ensure a quality experience. There were plenty of activities available if you wanted to experience water sports however we were happy to enjoy the sun and sea from our beds.

The gardens around the beach were those that would make the chelsea flower show look poor, maintained daily by a number of people working hard and sweating buckets to ensure the scenery remained as good as the hotel appearance.

Onto the food, unfortunately the Italian restaurant was closed during our stay for essential maintenance due to the rainfall from the week before we came. However we soon got over this with the quality of food from the other locations available to eat from (Asian, French, Mexican, Spanish & International). We especially enjoyed the French (Piaf) & Bistro as the food was amazing!

If you didn't want to book a place at these locations you could always have room service or visit the family Azul restaurant which again was amazing food and service.

Each meal was the same from a service level, always a smile, always professional and you were made to feel like royalty.

We had water offered to us, appetizers given to us as "Chef Welcome Appetizers" and whatever drinks you wanted were again no trouble at all. I suggested one evening a cocktail with Coconut in and we were brought back a coconut / banana alcohol smoothie that was out of this world! To this day I didn't find out what the barman used and I really wished I had as it was gorgeous!

The choice of items around the location from plant pots, trees, glass, stone. bricks was a credit to whoever designed such a beautiful place.

Whilst waiting for my wife to get ready I often ventured down to the gym to have a workout - again loads of equipment on offer and I really enjoyed being able to use anything I wanted to without having to wait.

If you needed to go to the Zen Class then transport was seconds away as they call for a mini bus to collect you, at your destination again someone is always available to greet you and point you in the right direction.

We enjoyed some of the wildlife on our doorstep (around the ground near the entrance to the Grand Class) - lovely gorgeous birds, Raccoon, Coati & Iguanas! We went on a couple of daily activities on offer at the resort to enjoy more (Ecological Tour & Bike Ride!).

Overall the stay was beyond anything we would have imagined and cant thank the staff enough at this resort for making us feel welcome. We hope to go back one day in the future and stay in one of the jungle suites (Zen Class) and enjoy the scenery down here!

If you are put of by the price then dont be this place is worth it and creates lifetime memories that we thought were only dreams and pictures from a postcard! Go and experience what we did and come back so happy!

A special thanks to Ana, Alejandra, Alan, Ruben, Yana & Jessica - you made our experience feel special!

Pedro in the asian restaurant was a character - funny guy that made us really feel at home!!

Room Tip: Grand Class Suite = Adult Sea View Zen Class Suite = Jungle View Ambassador Suite = Family Sea Vie...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Mr. & Mrs. Rudge

Thank you for your beautiful comments about Grand Velas, we are very happy that you had a wonderful stay.

Thank you for taking the time to send your impressions, they will be shared with the staff that made from your stay a memorable one. A better recommendation from you we could not have!

Hopefully we can host you again in a future,

Grand Class Executive Assistant Manager

Been to Grand Velas Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!