LOVED LOVED LOVED Grand Velas and loved it even more that this was the resort were we had our wedding.
The ++++ about the resort:
- Ambiance is unreal! As soon as you pull into the resort it was just amazing. We loved the attention to the detail with the decor, architecture, plants and flowers. It was just amazing! Also the staff provides you with this wonderful tea as your checking into the hotel. I must say what a personal touch
- Food. Probably one of the best foods we have had at any all-inclusive resort. Try to go to the french restaurant and ask for the bread stuff with Roquefort cheese. Just thinking about it makes me salivate okay not really. The buffet (Azul) in the morning at the Grand right on the beach is just a huge collection of different types of food and goodies. We preferred going there than breakfast in our suite because of the food selection. I know lame but the breakfast in bed was romantic the food choices and omelets were not as good as the Azul restaurant. We didn't get a chance to eat at the bistro for lunch or breakfast but we heard it was one of the better restaurants for lunch from our wedding guests.
- Pools. Mainly we stayed at the main pool and all of our wedding guests migrated there. We ordered food and drinks from one of the waiters and he was more than happy to provide us our drinks and food. Definitely ask for the following drinks blueberry mojito, dirty monkey, any frozen goodness.
now the - - - negatives
- Beach. The water was blue and gorgeous however there were rocks in the ocean. I recommend that Grand Velas remove these items so guests can enjoy the beach.
- Water activities. Since there were rocks in the ocean I was a little shock they offered paddle boarding as an activity. My husband was paddle boarding and unfortunately slipped and hit his shoulder on the rock. It wasn't anything serious thank goodness but it could have been. For the staff at Grand Velas this is a situation that can be avoided and could cause the resort financial harm if not addressed.
- WiFi. For the price you are paying for there is no free WiFi but we found that this is common at most Playa del Carmen resorts because we are in the jungle. However, at least provide free WiFi in the lobby or local areas.
My husband and I have stayed at 3x at Playa Del Carmen and by far Grand Velas is one of our favorite resorts. It is pricey but definitely worth it. The service was amazing and the people were just so generous and kind. If you don't like the price point at Grand Velas then check our El Dorado Maroma beach which is another great boutique resort if you don't like the crowds.
Here is some feedback for anyone planning a wedding at Grand Velas:
Unfortunately I had about 4 different wedding planners during my course of planning my wedding which didn't give me the confidence as a bride that things would be taking care of. However, Yazury which I highly recommend was just amazing and took the reins of helping me plan my wedding. Some things to look out for if you are planning on having an event at the zen pool at night is there are mosquitoes so please make sure you bring repellant spray to not annoy your guests. Negotiate negotiate everything the flowers, DJ, lights, all of it. I brought most of my decorations to the resort but I had to travel with them on the plane. Be careful if you do this because you will be stopped at customs if you are bringing tons of bags and they will ask you to unpack your bags. Try to have family take some of bags with them. If you spend more than 300 dollars on decorations or gifts they will ask you to pay taxes, so luckily I did everything handmade and stretch the truth somewhat. I will say that was the most annoying part about the whole wedding planning was dealing with customs and having them look through our bags. We had our wedding ceremony at a catholic church not on 5th avenue but another location. I recommend the church on 5th avenue. However all in all, the wedding was just stunning and beautiful I couldn't have imagined it any other way. We did a cake tasting the day we arrive at Grand Velas which was a good thing because we didn't get a chance to eat our cake at the wedding. I was also worried about my hair and make-up at the spa but I did a trial, and I could not have been any happier. My husband and I were just so pleased how wonderful our wedding was and our friends to this day say our wedding was "epic." cheers to the staff at Grand Velas and good luck to the destination brides to be
- Also Known As:
- Grand Velas All Suites And Spa Resort, Riviera Maya
- Grand Velas All Suites & Spa Resort, Riviera Maya Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Grand Velas All Suites & Spa Resort, Riviera Maya Hotel
- Grand Velas Hotel Riviera Maya
- Grand Velas Riviera Maya Playa Del Carmen, Mexico
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Opened in 2008, the luxurious All Inclusive Luxury Resort Grand Velas Riviera Maya is one of the newest resorts to distinguish Riviera Maya as a premier vacation destination. The uniquely Mexican world-class hospitality we provide is "Beyond All Inclusive, Beyond All Compare", and we are proud to be the only family-friendly All Inclusive resort in the Mexican Caribbean to have been rated Five Diamonds by the AAA. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Tingo, Venere, Otel, Cheap Tickets and Orbitz so you can book your Grand Velas Riviera Maya reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.