For the second time I spent 5 days in Grand Velas Riviera Maya, and for the second time, I was very very dissapointed. Although the place is gorgeous, the service is almost poor.
This year I visited the resort in March, the weather was perfect, and normally it is a high demanded season, so I expected it to be at least at 80%.... but it was almost death!... only my work group and about 2 - 3 more couples were around, so my friends and I expected a very nice and personalized service... we couldn't be more wrong.
The company I work for has some kind of agreement with Grand Velas for a yearly event, we are a very large group, about 2000 persons. The company pays a huge amount to the resort so we can have a state of the art event in Mexico and the best service, meals and beverages.
At the full event, we were treated as we were not guests at all, waiters, concierges, etc just ignored us, you had to run behind them to ask them for beverages or snaks or just to ask something.
The worse part was that every pool/beach service finish at 6pm, and sun goes down until 8:30pm, so if you wanted ANY beverage you should go to your room and get it... AND pools closed at 7pm, so we couldn't have any pool activity after the conference because it was close, and if you wanted to drink anything you should go to a restaurant or wait until 8pm to the piano bar to open. I've been in several Riviera Maya AI resorts a never seen something like that...
At the conference center everything was just ok, cold cofee at times, and hard pieces of bread at breakfast... nothing 5 diamonds alike.
Almost half of the people who attended the conference stayed until dark the last day, just to catch some sun and relax, some of them stayed a couple of days after. But we, the ones that stayed the last day, booked late flights to enjoy the resort without work.... the surprise was that they stopped giving you service or prividing food/beverages after 1pm!!!!! if you wanted something to eat/drink they would charge it at very very expensive prices... our flight left at 9pm, so everything we paid in drinks and food after 1pm it we could have paid for another room in a more decent hotel.
Definitely is not worth the price... there are a lot of better AI resorts in Riviera Maya, go to the Iberostar Grand or Secrets Maroma... don't waste your time and money in this one.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Opened in 2008, the luxurious All Inclusive Luxury Resort Grand Velas Riviera Maya is one of the newest resorts to distinguish Riviera Maya as a premier vacation destination. The uniquely Mexican world-class hospitality we provide is "Beyond All Inclusive, Beyond All Compare", and we are proud to be the only family-friendly All Inclusive resort in the Mexican Caribbean to have been rated Five Diamonds by the AAA. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, BookIt.com, HotelTravel.com, getaroom.com, Agoda, Despegar.com, Low Cost Holidays, Odigeo and Jetsetter so you can book your Grand Velas Riviera Maya reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Velas All Suites & Spa Resort, Riviera Maya Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Grand Velas All Suites And Spa Resort, Riviera Maya
- Grand Velas Hotel Riviera Maya
- Grand Velas Riviera Maya Playa Del Carmen, Mexico