“Truly a First Class Experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Velas Riviera Maya

You added Grand Velas Riviera Maya to your Saves list
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Cancun Tulum Km. 62 | Municipio de Solidaridad, Quintana Roo, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Offers & Announcements
Package Deal
Ranked #9 of 201 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Gresham, Oregon
“Truly a First Class Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We stayed at here for a week as part of a business/vacation. The property itself it wonderful, take time to explore it all. Find the adult pool to get away from the noise and splashing of the family section (drink service is faster there as well). Take time to visit the pools in the Zen area as well, great place if it gets too windy as they are more sheltered.

The Spa is world class. The experience prior to the massage was almost better than the massage. Prices are similar to what I have found at other high end resorts.

Take advantage of the floor concierge. If you let them know your preferences for the mini bar, pillows, towels, blankets or anything else in your room they will make sure it is handled. Our room had to be peanut free and they did a wonderful job of keeping us stocked with safe foods.

Of the restaurants, visit Bistro for at least one breakfast and lunch. I would highly recommend the mole' tamale...exceptional. Sin Lin offers a wonderful Asian dining experience, followed by Piaf for a romantic french dinner (limited to children over 12), Lucca and Frida offer Mexican and Italian meals that are wonderful. I would limit Cocina de Autor to those with a more eclectic palette. There is no menu here and with the exception of taking into account your allergies or food sensitivities your meal is at the whims of the chef. The food was very different, beautifully plated and some of it was delicious, some just a little weird. I am glad I did it but probably won't do it again.

If possible get a 4th floor room, they have beautiful high ceilings and offer the best views.

Do take the time to walk down the beach. As noted by others the beach swimming area isn't great and not good at all for snorkeling.

My one suggestion is that they create some kind of management system for around the pool. It is currently on a first come first serve basis. There were families reserving lounges at 7:00 am and not coming down to the pool area until 10am. They were also reserving lounges for their children who never used the chairs. The ones directly pool side are limited. Until they make a change, plan to get there early.

I would rate the speed of service as a 4 out of 5. I have stayed at other Grand Velas properties and thought the pool and restaurant service was on the slow side.

I have mixed feelings about the internet...love that it forced my kids to go without for a week, however, I agree that at the price is ridiculous. Hint is to see if you can get a deal from your cell provider. I paid $25 for 100mb which provided me with plenty to check my necessary email daily.

My final tip is to bring some bath salt for the wonderful jetted bath tub.

Room Tip: 4th floor of the Ambassador is the best. Bring bath salts for the jetted tub.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
GVRM, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Grand Velas Riviera Maya, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Dear guest,

First of all I would like to thank you for choosing our beautiful GVRM on your most recent stay with us and also for taking the time to express your impressions and comments of your experience since they are very important to us and are always taken into consideration to enhance the service we provide.

The internet connection is a priority for us to ensure our guests are connected properly while they are on vacation, for that reason the necessary measures are being taken in order to improve the quality of this service.

We really hope to have the opportunity to serve you in your future vacations.

Warm regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (405)
cape cod, massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

My husband and I recently returned from a week's stay at the Grand Velas. Prior to this vacation, we both had reservations about not returning to our favorite resort in Mexico, The Iberostar Grand Paraiso. Thanks to Caviargal on the Trip Advisor forum, we decided reluctantly to keep our reservation and spend the week at Grand Velas. Thank goodness we did!

For reference we have previously stayed at the Grand Sunset Princess (platinum), Privilege Aluxes, Iberostar Cancun and the Iberostar Grand Paraiso three times in Mexico as well as The Iberostar Grand Bavaro three times, Majestic Colonial, Iberostars Punta Cana, Dominicana, Hacienda Dominicus, Costa Dorada as well as Bavaro Princess, Punta Cana Princess, IFA and Barcelo Bavaro Palace in the Dominican Republic.

From the moment we turned in to the Grand Velas drive we realized we were in for something very elegant. We were greeted with a cool cloth and a glass of the best jasmine iced tea I've ever tasted. We were then brought to our room.

I will try my best to give a fair comparison between the Grand Velas and Iberostar Grand Paraiso as many people have asked about this.

Rooms: Rooms at the GV are nice. We stayed in the Ambassador Suite. The cost of upgrading to the Master Suites was $100.pp/pn. Not worth it to us. There were not many kids there anyways and how much time do you spend in your room? The rooms at GV are large and well appointed. The rooms at IGP are nicer IMO. I'm not a person who is preoccupied nor impressed by my room. To me, there is nothing that is comparable to OF at IGP. Beds were comfy but not quite as comfy as Iberostar's beds. GV affords more storage than IGP. The shower and bath area was nicer at GV. The oceanview was spectacular!

Pools: I am not a pool person whatsoever however the pool at the adult only section of GV exceeds the pool at IGP. It is heated, has a swim up bar and is quite small. It stocks all of the best liquor....Kettel One, Grey Goose, Don Julio, Three Generations, all the best! Not just at the lobby bar as the IGP does. Beach service and pool service are excellent and all the best liquors are brought chairside, as well as a special menu that you order from your chair and have brought to you. This is something the Grand does not offer.

Beach: IGP wins this one hands down. The beach at GV is really beautiful. Once in the water there are rocky areas, however it is very easy to avoid the rocks as the water is crystal clear and wonderful for snorkeling along the whales that are lined up to prevent erosion. I cannot stress this enough as this point almost made me cancel our reservation. (THANK YOU CAVIARGAL) So many people write that it is not a good beach for swimming...not true! I love to swim and had no problem doing so at GV! I am an ocean swimmer. If there was no swimming I would not write a good review! Water shoes are not needed. The water is shallow far out, the sand is gorgeous and the waves were pretty light. Roberto, the beach concierge, as well as Ceasar were excellent at keeping us hydrated while we relaxed in our loungers. No need to fight for a palapa as they bring you an umbrella to shade you as you like in the spot that is most comfortable for you. BTW the loungers at GV far exceed the loungers at IGP. They are newer and much more comfortable.

Service: I would have to say this is pretty comparable. We receive such excellent service at the Grand and did at GV as well. However because of the blizzard the GV concierges went out of their way to sort out our travel details for the way home so we could spend all of our time on the beach. They definitely went far above and beyond and we appreciate it! In addition, we had chocolate covered strawberries and wine in our room on several occasions.

Food: This is where the GV outshines the IGP. The food is outstanding. Our favorite restaurant was Bistro located in the adult only section. This restaurant is open for breakfast and lunch and during high season for dinner. The food was sublime! Definitely the best food we had that week! Roberto and his team provide a breathtaking experience you will not forget! The ambiance, the cuisine and the service add up to the ultimate dining experience. A special shout out to our very favorite server of all time and friend, FERNANDO! Thank you Fernando as you made us feel so special every day and we enjoyed hearing about your beautiful family! You are one of the most special people we have ever met. People like you make the world a better place. GV is so lucky to have such a wonderful team! We also ate at Frida and Sen Lin and enjoyed both but Piaf was our favorite for ala carte restaurants. Cocina Autor was interesting but definitely not our thing. Many people enjoyed it. We did a wine pairing there and while the wine was excellent, the food was a bit outlandish for us foodies which surprised me. We did not care for the food at Lucca however others raved about it.

Wine: This is a biggie for me. The wine was better at GV than IGP. Not that the wine at IGP is bad, but GV offers a greater selection of somewhat higher quality bottles. We enjoyed Ruffino Chianti which is not top shelf certainly, but used to be available at IGP until a couple of years ago. The wine is brought to you on a cart and there is no problem with ordering a bottle. Noone ever asked us if we wanted to purchase a bottle. No upselling ever. Very enjoyable.

Cons: For some strange reason GV does not include internet. It was $16 per day per device to add it. That is ridiculous! You pay a premium to stay there! The other thing was not included was the hobie cats and the stand up paddle boards. Not sure why. I believe the hobie was $70. for 45 minutes. Ridiculous! The stand up paddle board was $30. for 45 minutes. The kayaks were free but of poor quality. IGP includes the watersports equipment as well as internet service!

Notes: The Zen section is located in the jungle about half a mile or so away. There is a van that picks you up and runs every 2 mins or so (no exaggeration) between the 2 places. The area is beautiful with lovely walkways and pools. It is very Zen indeed. There is lush vegetation and is very, very dark in the evening where some of the restaurants are located. It is more reasonably priced and for someone who enjoys pools, it would be a great way to make staying here more affordable.

The front desk manager, Carlos, and his team of top notch concierges are the best in the industry. Special thanks to them for all their assistance with our flight home.

In closing, we will be returning to Grand Velas for sure! It was a beautiful resort, and I can't wait to have lunch at Bistro with Fernando!!!

Any questions, please feel free to pm me.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
GVRM, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Grand Velas Riviera Maya, responded to this review, April 21, 2013
Dear Guest,

Warm Greetings from the sunny Riviera Maya. We feel very honored that you chose us as your destination.
We are very happy to receive this type of reviews because it let us know that we are getting closer to excellence!
The reason why our Resort has such a great reputation in Riviera Maya is not only because of the luxury facilities or services we offer, but also for the personalized touch that our staff prints in every effort to exceed our guests’ expectations in order to create a memorable experience In their life’s, we are glad to know we made it this time with your holidays! Our Staff will receive the recognition they deserved these comments will be a motivation to continue doing their best.

We hope to have the opportunity to serve you in future celebrations,

Sunny regards,

Rogelio Vasconcelos
chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We stayed at this resort two years ago, and absolutely loved it! We would rave about this place to anyone that would listen, which is why we returned here in Feb of 2013 for our honeymoon. We stayed in a oceanfront Grand Class room each time, and the rooms were still great and in good condition, with exceptional views.

Prior to booking our latest stay at this resort, I had read some of the recent negative reviews. In these reviews, people (some including repeat guest) complained about the service, food, and alcohol. To be honest, I dismissed them thinking that people were being too picky. Well.......unfortunately as much as I hate saying it.........this place was not what it once was!!!

Some of the differences were apparent right away. After checking in we had to wait for our room to be cleaned, so we went for breakfast at Bistro. As I walked past the tequila/alcohol cart, I noticed that it had Absolut vodka and Milagro tequila. Last time we were here it was Grey Goose and Don Julio. As for our meal at Bistro, the food was good but the service was not.

Once we got to our room, I noticed a mini bottle of Milagro Reposado tequila. Again, last year it was a mini bottle of Don Julio Reposado. Maybe it's not that big of a deal, but when you are paying $1,000 per night, and your expectaions are so high because of your last stay, it's a BIG disappointment to see that they are cutting corners!

The resort itself and grounds are still amazing at this property, and spotless.

I also agree with some of the latest reviews about the service at the pool. Unfortunately it does seem like they were short staffed, and service was not as good as it was previously. The food at the pool was as good as I remembered it the first time. When I went to the bar to order a drink, I didn't notice Grey Goose vodka anywhere, although there were many different brands displayed behind the bar. When I asked if they did have Grey Goose, he showed be a bottle that was under the bar. When I ordered a margarita with Don Julio reposado, he told me they only had Don Julio blanco. Again, last trip this wasn't an issue.

When we returned to our room, we were met by our concierge. Actually, she was the same concierge we had on our last trip, and she was still wonderful. The only bad thing, which was not her fault, was when she advised us that our dinner reservations had been changed. When I booked our stay two months before our arrival, I made reservations at Piaf for our first night. I did this because this was our favorite restaurant at the hotel, and we wanted to eat here at least twice during our stay. I had also made reservations ahead of time for each night prior to our arrival. I was disappoiinted that they went ahead and changed our reservations for that night, and scheduled us to eat at Piaf on two consecutive nights later in our stay without contacting us first.

We just let it go and figured it wasn't a big deal until..........we were headed for dinner that night. The people in the elevator with us said they were there with a big group that was originally planned to have dinner outside, but because of the weather, the dinner was rescheduled for them at Piaf. Okay....once I heard this, I was annoyed. I thought it was not right that our dinner that I had planned ahead of time got changed , so that this group could get accomodated. Not to mention the fact that they LIED to us about why our reservations were changed in the first place. This was the same group that had a makeshift pirate ship set up on the beach for them, which was mentioned by a previous reviewer.

I will say that room service food was great each time we ordered it, and housekeeping was just as good.

I would say that overall the food was still good, but not great like last time. And when we did eat at Piaf, both the food and service were not close to what they were last time.

On this trip we did go to the spa for the water journey and a massage. We did not do this the first trip, but would definitley recommend going to the spa. Although pricey, it was awesome!

Another compkaint we have a many other do, is that you have to pay extra for internet service. This should be included for what they charge you.

We did tip everyone, on this trip, and this did not change the tyoe of service you would get. Most of the time the service was good, but there were enough times that it was not, and for this type of resort service whould be more consistent.

What I want to give them credit for is how they had flowers for my wife when we checked in for our honeymoon, and also provided champagne and choc covered strawberries with turndown service that night. That was a nice touch!

Overall the trip was not a bust. We are not snobs or picky, but we were really disappointed that they are not what they once were! I really did love this reosrt, but in the future, if things do not improve, I think I would go elsewhere before I returned here.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Firstly, I would like to thank you for choosing Grand Velas Riviera Maya and sharing such an important occasion with us, your honeymoon.

As per the service you mentioned you received from our staff, your comment is really surprising since it does not represent the quality of services that we offer at Grand Velas. We are very sorry that you have such perspective and rest assured that this report will be sent the respective departments for its consideration.

Regarding the situation with the restaurants reservations allow me to inform you that is managed as carefully as possible and it is part of the basic quality standards that a 5 diamond Resort like ours follows, we are very sorry that you have encountered a inconvenience with Piaf restuarant.

We truly hope to have the opportunity to serve you in a near future and anniversary stays!!

Warmest regards,
NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We were traveling with two other families, who really wanted to go to the Four Seasons in Costa Rica, but we had already been there two out of the past three years, so we wanted to try something new. The hotel gets five diamonds from AAA, so we were expecting it to be just as nice as a Four Seasons or a Ritz Carlton resort. Unfortunately, it isn't. The service is not at the same level. The rooms are clean and nice. The bedding is upscale. The food in most of the restaurants is quite good, but we had problems. When we checked in, we were not given the types of rooms that we asked for. We had asked for adjoining rooms. We were told they don't even have adjoining rooms (I found out they were lying to me, and that some other guests from my town had adjoining rooms). One of the others members of my party was given one king bed for four people. I ended up giving them one of my rooms with two queen beds and taking two rooms with king beds, so my teenage son and daughter had to share a bed (not the end of the world). Our check in took close to two hours to straighten out. When I asked to see the manager of the property, I was told he would be in the next day and I could see him then. I came back in the morning, and I was never given access to him.

There is absolutely nothing for older kids to do on the property. There is no teen club or game room. There is a karaoke bar that kids can go to at night. There are no planned activities for the kids at any time.

The service in most of the restaurants was very slow. Most kids cannot sit through a dinner that takes well over two hours.

It is a beautiful property with enormous potential. There were over a dozen families there from my town. They all agreed that they were not going to go back, even though many of them had been there before. They said the service had been better a couple of years ago than it is now. This property needs to learn how to service their customers like a Ritz Carlton, Four Seasons, or One and Only. These properties put service first. The first two also put families first at their resorts and have activities for all ages of children. If we hadn't been with two other families, this trip would not have been fun for my kids at all.

One thing I can suggest is that the Princess hotel next door (you definitely DON'T want to stay there) is a short walk down the beach. They have outdoor massages on the beach for about $50-60 an hour depending on hour good a negotiator you are. We went a few times for that price. You can also get less expensive wave runners and parasailing.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Simply wonderful. My husband and I were guests at Grand Velas on the Riveria Maya for a business conference, and we were both blown away by the property and the location. For an all inclusive, it felt very exclusive. From the resort, you could walk the beach for several miles in each direction, and just get lost in your thoughts and the sound of the waves. The rooms were large and well appointed, and the bed and linens were very comfy. Our service was top notch. Only reason I would rate less than perfect was the food, which was good but not great. A suggestion to the management would be to put some felt on the desk chair legs...as they are very loud for the lower room as they slide on the stone floors.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Montreal/Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Ok, you read the reviews and wonder if the place is as nice as it appears. 100%! Great place! I won't repeat all the good stuff as there is plenty of it. Here are a few negatives. If you're going to be forking out the kind a cash it takes to stay at Grand Velas Riviera Maya, please know that the "swimming" part of the beach is not good. The beach itself is great but swimming in the ocean...you can do much better for the money elswhere. That being said, there is nothing the hotel folks can do about that. It is, what it is... buyer be ware! What the hotel can do is the following: Given quality of the all inclusive nature of this gorgeous resort, it came as a big surprise to find out that there is no "free" Internet service anywhere on the premises! Anywhere! You have to subscribe to a private Internet plan offered through the hotel which offers wifi pretty much everywhere on the resort for the modest price of $80 USD per device, per week! That's right! I'm not cheap in the least bit but there are very few hotels of this qualiber that don't offer free basic Internet service. Even in the business center! 80$ per device per week is a bit much! After a bit of complaining, I was able to get a complimentary week for one device. Be sure to ask for it! It really takes the shine off such a great resort! When you're a 5 star hotel, the devil is in the details! This is truely a serious issue that management will need to address. I was a returning guest from 2011 and this was a new occurrence which was not well publisized either on their web or through the travel agents. Let's see if anything changes in time.

• Stayed February 2013
GVRM, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Grand Velas Riviera Maya, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Dear guest,
On behalf of Grand Velas Riviera Maya, we would like to thank you for your preference on your last stay. We certainly appreciate your comments, all of them provide us with the opportunity to improve our services. Rest assured that your feedback will be shared to the concerning areas for its consideration. Thank you very much for taking the time to share your review with us.

We truly hope to have you with us on your next vacations!!

Kind regards,
York, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

Plain and simple just go, you will NOT be disappointed. If you can't be happy here you just can't be happy. I've experienced several all-inclusives and this resort was by far the best. The grounds and beach were beautiful, the service exemplary, the food AMAZING and the rooms relaxing and spacious. This place is a "best kept secret". Initially I was worried by some of the reviews but after arriving I realized they had to have been written by miserable people looking to complain about something. Some of the worries included the service which I found to be outstanding, whether you tipped or not. I did (tip) and found that it was appreciated by the smile on the waiters faces. After all, they didn't know if I was going to tip or not until after the meal and the service throughout was first class. People also questioned the purpose of signing a check after eating as if there were some hidden agenda. There is not. I have done this before at other resorts and it usually occurs at places that don't require you to wear wrist bracelets while on their property. The shuttle service from the Zen to the beach and Ambassador building was efficient and comfortable, air-conditioned vans operated by friendly and quite pleasant drivers. The food was one of the main attractions to this resort and the restaurants did not disappoint. They all served delicious food including the buffet restaurant "Azul", which was a very pleasant surprise. The lunch buffet was outstanding (although breakfast not so much, opt for "Bistro" instead). I am a beach person so I spent a great deal of my day there. if you walk along the beach in either direction you will see that Velas has the nicest beach along that stretch. No other resort in that vicinity has a beach that compares and the resort looks incredably gorgeous from the water's edge. In fact, several times people on a walk would approach us while we were laying out on the beach to find out the name of the resort and what we thought of it because it truely does stand out. The only downfall with the beach is that it is rocky in the water. We stayed in the Zen area of the resort and don't regret that decision at all as it is very peaceful, quiet and relaxing. A hidden treasure is the pool at the Zen. Very few people know its there let alone use it and it is designed in such a way that it feels private. It was a great way to end the day in the sun while sipping on a cocktail of your choice. Obviously I enjoyed my stay at Grand Velas, trust me you will too. Just go!!!

Room Tip: second floor at the zen-quieter and vaulted ceilings make it feel more spacious. "Azul" h...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Been to Grand Velas Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!