We stayed at here for a week as part of a business/vacation. The property itself it wonderful, take time to explore it all. Find the adult pool to get away from the noise and splashing of the family section (drink service is faster there as well). Take time to visit the pools in the Zen area as well, great place if it gets too windy as they are more sheltered.
The Spa is world class. The experience prior to the massage was almost better than the massage. Prices are similar to what I have found at other high end resorts.
Take advantage of the floor concierge. If you let them know your preferences for the mini bar, pillows, towels, blankets or anything else in your room they will make sure it is handled. Our room had to be peanut free and they did a wonderful job of keeping us stocked with safe foods.
Of the restaurants, visit Bistro for at least one breakfast and lunch. I would highly recommend the mole' tamale...exceptional. Sin Lin offers a wonderful Asian dining experience, followed by Piaf for a romantic french dinner (limited to children over 12), Lucca and Frida offer Mexican and Italian meals that are wonderful. I would limit Cocina de Autor to those with a more eclectic palette. There is no menu here and with the exception of taking into account your allergies or food sensitivities your meal is at the whims of the chef. The food was very different, beautifully plated and some of it was delicious, some just a little weird. I am glad I did it but probably won't do it again.
If possible get a 4th floor room, they have beautiful high ceilings and offer the best views.
Do take the time to walk down the beach. As noted by others the beach swimming area isn't great and not good at all for snorkeling.
My one suggestion is that they create some kind of management system for around the pool. It is currently on a first come first serve basis. There were families reserving lounges at 7:00 am and not coming down to the pool area until 10am. They were also reserving lounges for their children who never used the chairs. The ones directly pool side are limited. Until they make a change, plan to get there early.
I would rate the speed of service as a 4 out of 5. I have stayed at other Grand Velas properties and thought the pool and restaurant service was on the slow side.
I have mixed feelings about the internet...love that it forced my kids to go without for a week, however, I agree that at the price is ridiculous. Hint is to see if you can get a deal from your cell provider. I paid $25 for 100mb which provided me with plenty to check my necessary email daily.
My final tip is to bring some bath salt for the wonderful jetted bath tub.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Opened in 2008, the luxurious All Inclusive Luxury Resort Grand Velas Riviera Maya is one of the newest resorts to distinguish Riviera Maya as a premier vacation destination. The uniquely Mexican world-class hospitality we provide is "Beyond All Inclusive, Beyond All Compare", and we are proud to be the only family-friendly All Inclusive resort in the Mexican Caribbean to have been rated Five Diamonds by the AAA. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Cheap Tickets, Hotels.com, Orbitz, getaroom.com, BookIt.com, Despegar.com, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Grand Velas Riviera Maya reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Velas All Suites And Spa Resort, Riviera Maya
- Grand Velas All Suites & Spa Resort, Riviera Maya Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Grand Velas Hotel Riviera Maya
- Grand Velas Riviera Maya Playa Del Carmen, Mexico