You heard that right. "All inclusive" and "foodies" was just used in the same description. As a proud lover of great food - and frequent sufferer of not-so-great food- this resort was absolutely amazing. Yucatan specialties, asian delicacies, inspired nouveau cuisine - every restaurant had amazing food. Even the standard buffet had a gourmet assortment. The Spanish restaurant has a mobile tequila cart with fine spirits mixed tableside with a variety of inspired glass-rim salts and sugars. Great attention was paid to every detail of every meal.
But it's not JUST about the food. Stumble back to your room stuffed and a little tipsy to find a super chic, modern room with the finest appointments: jacuzzi tub, multi head showers, lots of tasteful fixtures and stone surfaces of every color and pattern. We stayed in the jungle area, which was a little less expensive than other parts. But it didn't disappoint. The "jungle" was gorgeous to look at, with wild birds and lizards. A bed on the patio was great for relaxing.
The only slight drawback was the tipping culture. At the end of every meal, you're given a bill which itemizes everything you ordered - but with a zero balance, since it is an all inclusive. The idea is that you will include a tip that is a portion of the "bill." We gave a standard tip for each meal, regardless of what we ordered.
We went in July and didn't see a lot of people. It felt a little deserted. But that didn't bother my wife and I one bit.
I can't rave enough about this place. The people are friendly, the service is fast and attentive, and the food ... oh the food!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Opened in 2008, the luxurious All Inclusive Luxury Resort Grand Velas Riviera Maya is one of the newest resorts to distinguish Riviera Maya as a premier vacation destination. The uniquely Mexican world-class hospitality we provide is "Beyond All Inclusive, Beyond All Compare", and we are proud to be the only family-friendly All Inclusive resort in the Mexican Caribbean to have been rated Five Diamonds by the AAA. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, BookIt.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Agoda, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Jetsetter so you can book your Grand Velas Riviera Maya reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Velas All Suites And Spa Resort, Riviera Maya
- Grand Velas All Suites & Spa Resort, Riviera Maya Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Grand Velas Hotel Riviera Maya
- Grand Velas Riviera Maya Playa Del Carmen, Mexico