“Almost Paradise.....(cue music)” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Velas Riviera Maya

Save Saved
You added Grand Velas Riviera Maya to your Saves list
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Cancun Tulum Km. 62 | Municipio de Solidaridad, Quintana Roo, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Offers & Announcements
Package Deal
Ranked #10 of 199 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Round Rock, Texas
“Almost Paradise.....(cue music)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

This is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been to. The pools are so plentiful that even when the hotel was full it did not seem crowded. Even the restrooms were gorgeous. The room in the Grand Class was amazing. It was large, comfortable, clean and the snacks and fridge were always stocked. The bathroom had a large jaccuzi tub and rain shower. We had a beautiful balcony with a private pool and lounge over-looking the ocean. The best part about the Grand Class was the quiet. Since it was separated from the family friendly section, when we wanted to rest, it was possible.
The staff is kind and helpful but sometimes seemed unable to answer basic questions...one example was when we were booked for dinner reservations on a night when that particular restaurant wasn't open. The poolside staff was very accomodating most days. One day when we felt that we were waiting too long for service, the manager got right to straightening things out.
The food is unbelievable. There are so many choices that it is difficult to make selections. The best restaurant for food and service is the french, Piaf. The Italian restaurant would be a close second but had the slowest service. The molecular restaurant is only for the most adventurous diners.
The only drawbacks to this vacation was the lack of things to do in the evenings. The only entertainment or activity after dinner was the karaoke bar. There was a large company using the facility while we were there and we were jealous of the dance party that they had at the beach. Even if once a week, they had a dance party or theme night of some sort, it would be nice. When choosing an all inclusive resort, I didn't want to venture out into town every evening to seek out and pay for entertainment. Maybe even having some music piped into the area outside the piano bar for some dancing....something.
So, it was ALMOST paradise.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
GVRM, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Grand Velas Riviera Maya, responded to this review, July 23, 2012
Dear guest,

We are grateful for having opportunity to serve you on your recent stay with us and to know that you got the relaxation and pleasant time you were expecting on this vacation. We always strive to do our best in every detail of our service. Your comments about the experience you had with our staff at the pool motivate us to keep up with it.
It is satisfactory to know that your culinary experience at Piaf, Lucca and Cocina de Autor restaurants fulfilled your expectations and created a memory in your life.
As per the situation you encountered with the misinformation from our staff we find it very unusual since that is a very basic information that all of our staff should know, we are very sorry if this represented an inconvenience to you and rest assured that your report will be forwarded to the right people for its consideration.
We also appreciate your kind suggestions regarding evening entertainment; they will be taken into consideration since this encourages us to improve the variety of services we offer in order to provide a different experience in our guest’s stay.
We truly hope to have the opportunity to host you in a future Grand Velas Vacation.
Warm regards,

Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (379)
Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

Visited here for one week and felt like I was in heaven on earth. The pictures don't really do this hotel justice. A giant hotel but with a small intimate feel and every wish you have catered for. Excellent staff, beautiful rooms, fantastic facilities.

If I had to pick any negatives they would be 1) if you're looking for pure soft white sand beach this may not be the place for you, it was a bit rocky and a lot of seaweed so not crystal blue sea through waters (although the swimming pools are awesome and the beach is nice enough). 2) we had some issues with the rules regarding clothing and some other strange restaurant rules but nothing to mean I wouldn't go back in a heart beat.

Room Tip: We ended up with a corner room in the adult section - this made a difference as you had views from...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Dear guest,

On behalf of all our staff we would like to thank your preference for our beautiful resort. It is such an honor to know that you were amazed by our facilities, suite views and attentive staff. We will be more than glad to share you review with all our team. Looking forward to welcome you back soon. Best regards,

California City, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

I stayed here for 4 nights for a work conference. The room was AMAZING in the ambassador suites. I could not believe how huge the room was and how gorgeous the view was. It was a punishment though because it was so pretty, but I had to be there for work.

Location- about 30 minutes from the airport. It is another 20 minutes by cab (about $15 USD) to Playa del Carmen. The resort is pretty secluded...there is no where to go walking distance besides the restaurants/bars at the hotel.

Conference area- a short shuttle away. Large area, good snacks, good wifi connection, but the restrooms were really far away. Be ready to walk- no seriously, it's a bit of a trek! Don't wear high heel shoes as they will get stuck in between the wood planks...I saw a girl almost break an ankle trying to walk. I just brought flip flops and then switched shoes when I entered the conference hall.

Room- again, amazing! Bring mosquito repellent b/c the spray they provide (in the closet) is not strong enough. It's really buggy in there especially since the housekeepers keep the doors wide open when they are cleaning. I just left the do not disturb sign on to avoid the issue any further.
Good assortment of snacks, beer, wine, and tequila in the mini bar area. I also like that they provide you with sandals and a beach bag to use. Warning- the blow dryer gets extremely hot. I burned off a chunk of hair when I was using my round brush (it melted my brush too!). I looked inside and it was glowing red inside the blow dryer! My co-worker also had a near hair burning experience with her dryer too...so bring your own!

Restaurants- oh so good! I loved the assortment and I could not stop eating the ceviche! All the seafood was delicious. My favorite spot was the one closest to the beach, Azul, for breakfast.

Bars- everyone always ended up at the Karaoke Bar. Super fun and everyone was having a good time. The bartenders were all nice and even though I did not want to drink, they always had a shot readily available.

Beach/pool- gorgeous! Too bad hurricane Debby was forming so I really didn't get to enjoy it or see what it really looks like...it rained 80% of the time. Amazing lightening shows at dinner at Frida's...I've never seen the sky light up like that. Also Frida's is not your traditional mexican food...no guac and chips served at this place....too fancy pants for me.

Cons-
*ATMs were not conveniently located. The closest one I saw was next to the restaurant Bistro. It really does not make sense that there isn't one by reception.
*Don't book your tours through the hotel, total rip off. I paid $100 for a tour to Rio Secreto and other people on my trip only paid $75 through an outside source...do the research and book somewhere else (online).
*be careful if it's raining, the floors are slippery. I was outside near the beach and stepped onto the wood walkway and took a spill onto my knee. Near my room was also no bueno in wedges...just wear flip flops.

I high recommend coming here, but for vacay not work! Hopefully the next time I come here I'll have a husband to enjoy it with :) Would not recommend this place for singles as is mostly families or couples.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Dear guest,

We are delighted to know throughout your review that you had a pleasant time with us and that de luxurious design of our suites exceeded your expectations. We feel also very honored for your wonderful comments about the minibar selection and the food at Frida and Azul restaurants. Rest assured that your motivating comments about the great effort of our staff will be shared with all of them and also thank you for taking the time to send your recommendations to our future travelers. We hope to have the opportunity to host you in a near future. Warm regards,

Leesburg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

I recently had the pleasure of staying at this luxury resort and it definitely lived up to all the good reviews on Tripadvisor. I won't repeat what has already been said here but this resort is like no other all inclusive. Service is top notch, including waiters at the buffets offering to carry your dishes to your table to towels being set up on your pool chairs. Food is fit for foodies with world-class ambience and service to match. We never got a chance to even try the adults only restaurants which I hear are even more amazing. Rooms are quiet, spacious, ultra clean and fit with high end linens/pillows/fixtures/toiletries. We stayed in the Ambassador section which is convenient for the main pool and beach and buffet restaurant, but the Zen/jungle section has an amazing peaceful pool area as well and shuttle service is so prompt that we would not have minded staying in that section either. Spa was amazing and definitely worth the price tag. Definitely no night life/entertainment here though so keep that in mind if that is important to you.

Overall, this is definitely in my top 3 resorts in the Cancun area, with La Amada and Banyan Tree Mayakoba being my other favorites. I would not hesitate to come back here again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
GVRM, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Grand Velas Riviera Maya, responded to this review, July 23, 2012
Dear guest,

We are very grateful for your valuable review. It is very rewarding to know that you enjoyed the buffet service and for the great perspective of quality you have about our food and services. Your wonderful comments about our spa, suites and pools encourage us to maintain the quality of services we provide. We are happy to know that we fufilled your expectations on this most recent Grand Velas Vacation and we are looking forward to welcome back you in soon!!Best regards,

Sao Paulo, SP
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

This was the third time in this resort. As usual, rooms were very clean and nicely decorated. An all-inclusive with very good restaurants, even the buffet style was clearly one of the best. I would definitely come back for a couple of days for vacation.

On the not so good side, wi-fi services is for a fee and poolside service is not as good as the service in the restaurants. Minor annoyances when compared to this great resort.

Room Tip: The rooms on the beach complex are much nicer, each with a small private pool on the balcony. Great...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Grand Velas Riviera Maya, responded to this review, July 3, 2012
Dear guest,

We are grateful for giving us the honor to host you on your third Grand Velas Riviera Maya vacation and for your suggestions which will be taken into consideration in order to provide the highest quality of service to all our guests. We are so looking forward for your return soon to our beautiful resort.

Leesburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

This place has completely changed our expectations of All Inclusive Resorts!! This was such a beautiful, well maintained, top notch resort, it will be hard to beat for us in future travels. The room was spacious, clean, and modern with wonderful amenities. All the food was amazing in every restaurant! It is a dream come true for all "foodies" out there. The pools were wonderful....very clean and beautiful with plenty of poolside chairs and cabanas. The beach is groomed everyday and really beautiful! The service by all the staff was wonderful. The spa should not be missed. It was amazing, with a great choice of services.

Room Tip: Loved the 4th Floor of the Grand Class with it's high ceilings.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Dear guest,

We would like to thank your preference for Grand Velas Riviera Maya on you recent stay. We are deeply grateful to know through your comments that you had a great time with us and an enjoyable experience in our restaurants, pools and suites. We appreciate the time you took to let us know about it!!
We are so looking forward to have you with us very soon.

Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

My husband and I have travelled the world over but this resort blew us away! We will forever be comparing other hotels and resorts to the high standard we experienced here. The only downside to having visited this resort is that no other place we visit after this resort, will ever measure up to this magnificent place. How will any other place ever satisfy us again? We are totally spoiled now! Just to think that the best restauramts in the world are all located right here in Grand Velas in one resort. Fantastic!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Allow me to thank you for your visit to our beautiful resort on your most recent stay. Your encouraging remarks of our restaurants and services motivate us to maintain the compromise with high quality and attentive service!. We are delighted to know that your Grand Velas vacation was satisfying and that the enthusiastic effort of our team exceeded your expectations.
We hope to welcome you back in a near future.

Guest Relations Manager,

Been to Grand Velas Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!