“Absolutely Excellent!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Playa Scuba Dive Center

Playa Scuba Dive Center
15th Avenue with 4 street north | infront Billy the Kid Tacos, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico
0052 984 803 2403
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #24 of 292 Activities in Playa del Carmen
Type: Water sports, Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: "Playa Scuba Dive Center" in downtown Playa del Carmen is a "Boutique Dive Center" run by the owners Luis and Klaus, offers small, personal dive trips exploring the exciting reefs in Playa del Carmen, or amazing coral structures in Cozumel and mystic dives in the crystal clear waters of sacred Mayan Cenotes. Shark diving with Bull sharks and Whale shark encounters are the specialty of Playa Scuba. Small groups of four scuba divers in Cenotes or up to five divers in Playa del Carmen or Cozumel reefs. PADI courses from Discover Scuba to Dive Master. Eco land tours to Chichen Itza, Tulum, Coba, Xcaret, Xel-Ha and Belize
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
“Absolutely Excellent!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

After looking on the web at many dive shops in Playa Del Carmen - the one that we thought the best was Playa Scuba. We were not disappointed!. We did the 6 dive package and also upgraded to our AOW qualification. Cenotes with Mathius, Playa with Eri and then Cozumel again with Mathius. We had a great time and were looked after every step of the way. Met Klaus and Luis too - the main aim for these guys is to ensure you are safe and have a great experience. Would go back and dive with them again.

Visited March 2013

• Hebrew first
Edmonton, Canada
“An Ideal Introduction to Open Water Diving”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

The staff was excellent, professional, and very helpful. The gear was in great shape. The dive locations were all top notch. The instructor for our Open Water Referral dives was very good. Also the group sizes were just right (about 4 or 5), frequently, above and below water we would see groups of 10-14 divers flailing about, and we were glad that our group was smaller. We had such a good experience that within 2 days of getting home to Canada, we planned to come back at Christmas to dive with these guys again!

Visited April 2013
Edmonton, Canada
“Awesome referral dive experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

My boyfriend and I decided to do our PADI Open Water referral dives with Playa Scuba. We were extremely happy with our choice!

We went out in small groups each day with other dives (our largest group was 5 of us plus the instructor). I really enjoyed the small group experience - I saw other groups at the dive sites that seemed quite large, so I was glad to be diving with only a few people.

The instructor was enthusiastic, knowledgeable, and overall excellent. She structured the dives so that our first dive was "worry free" and we just got to enjoy our very first dive in the ocean without worrying about completing any skills. This was appreciated, as it gave us a chance to get comfortable with our gear and with being 40 feet underwater. Then, she introduced the skills over the next 3 dives. We also appreciated that she chose different dive sites for each dive, so we got to see a range of underwater terrain.

The boat crew was efficient, helping each diver out quickly and setting everything up before we even had a chance to start setting anything up ourselves! They seemed to always know what to do and who needed help with what.

The rental gear (wetsuit, BCD, mask, etc.) was all in very good condition.

Finally, the processing of the Open Water certification was practically immediate - as soon as we returned to the shop, they submitted our certification online for us and provided our temporary card.

I am very satisfied with Playa Scuba, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to anyone who wants a small group experience and personalized attention. I plan on diving with them again this December - I can't wait!

Visited April 2013
playascuba, Manager at Playa Scuba Dive Center, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
New York City, New York
“Wonderful guide, accomodating shop!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

My husband and I went diving in a cenote for the first time in February with guide Qe'que (pronunciation: kee-kay; sorry if we spelled your name incorrectly!) and we had a wonderful experience! We went to Chac Mool Cenote which was a short ride away from Playa del Carmen. Our guide was very knowledgeable about the history/geoscience behind cenotes and he patiently explained the safety signals/habits for cenote diving. I really appreciated his description in advanced about the halocline effect, so that when we finally experienced it, it wasn't frightening in the relative darkness and didn't waste time attempting to clear my mask! The lamp he used underwater was also especially powerful - great for pictures compared to the ones we used. Ultimately the trip was even better because of Qe'que's passion for diving; his respect and love for the cenotes was infectious! It was also nice learning about his life in Playa over an unplanned stop at an excellent taco shop on the drive back after the dives.

Finally, Luis at the dive shop was very accommodating: They took us to the cenotes on a Sunday even though they usually don't have trips scheduled then -- but it was the only day we could dive on our brief long weekend trip to the region -- so it ended up being a private tour. They took us on the dive even before we paid the balance in full so that we didn't arrive at the cenote too late.

Visited February 2013
WOW, Thank you for your nice review , we at Playa Scuba Dive Center are glad to have made a positive impact on your vacation and hope you will not forget us and allow us to show you more of our exciting surroundings scuba diving in Playa del Carmen
“Couldn't have asked for more.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

I recently completed six dives and my AOW certification with playa scuba after deciding to use this shop because of the great reviews. The reviews were correct. Couldn't have asked for a better experience. I had three different guides over three days of diving. Eli, Alex, and Pedro. I also had dealings with Klaus at the shop. They were all great. They all seemed more interested in making sure my trip was great rather than just wanting to take my money. All instructors were safety conscious and at no time did I feel unsafe. I dove at Cozumel, playa, and the cenotes all of which were great experiences. Whether it was a deep dive or in a cenote I was not concerned. I would recommend them to anyone going to dive in Mexico and will be using them again when I go back.