“Just as good as the first time!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Azul Fives Hotel, by Karisma

You added Azul Fives Hotel, by Karisma to your Saves list
Azul Fives Hotel, by Karisma
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   Predio El Limonar Fraccion 2 | Xcalacoco, Municipio de Solidaridad, Playa del Carmen, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
20% off room rate
Ranked #42 of 201 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
MA
“Just as good as the first time!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Ok, this was our second trip to Azul Fives. The resort had a few more guests than our first visit, but it was still a wonderful experience. Some of the staff were still the same and remembered us from our first visit. The service was fantastic, the food is incredible and the kids club is great. We really enjoyed the Arezzo and Tsuki and breakfast at Flavors is great especially when made to order. Rooms are spacious, clean and well sited. Refrigerators are stocked daily and custom requests are often excepted. We had milk delivered to our room daily for our daughter. Our daughter loved her visits to Azulittos kids club and still talks about it to this day. We did not take advantage of the baby sitting, but it is available.

The gym is small, but very useable and suits its purpose. The juice bar is great, and the juices and smoothies are made to order.

We did see several monkeys on multiple occasions and my daughter definitely got a big kick out of it.

It was still under construction, but really wasn't a big deal at all.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (804)
uxbridgeontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We just returned from a Great Holiday at Azul Fives we went with our family over Easter. This was a repeat trip for us to this resort and loved it even more this time. They have made many improvements all of our family loved the Food and the surroundings. The Staff is fantastic very friendly. The very best was the waiter at the Infinity Pool his name was Louis his service was fantastic and he brought so much fun to the pool side. Also the entertainment staff were a lot of fun they had a great Yoga/Stretch class every morning. The tennis instructor Pedro is fantastic we loved his class in the morning and it was FREE!! Loved the Sushi restaurant and the Italian restaurant the best. They even set us up at the Ocean front one night for dinner it was amazing. the Spa is very beautiful the service was amazing they make you feel very special. the Zen Garden was fantastic!! Loved the Hammocks set up mid property. The best part was being in Paradise with our family the worst part was having to leave!! loved all of it

Room Tip: Make sure you utilize the Concierge they are in the small buildings which are all over the property...
Mississauga
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

Our Family of four spent our March break at Azul Fives. From the time we arrived we were catered too. Our room was phenomenal and we had the roof top patio.WOW. The Food was incredible, the Italian, Japanese, Lizard lounge, The Grill all of them were remarkable. To top that off we had 24-7 room service, the day it rained it didn't matter. All of the decor was modern and very cool. The Staff were top notch, especially Raffel, Urisella, Milton, Edwardo, and Edgar.
The resort caters to young families so don't look to go clubbing. Although the Sky Bar provided nightly shows. We will defiantly go back next year.

Las Vegas, Nevada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

My family of three (myself, husband and 13-month old son) recently stayed at Azul Fives in North Playa del Carmen for 5 nights. We were also traveling with another family of 3 (husband, wife and 2-year old son). While I may not write many reviews on TripAdvisor, I always turn to TripAdvisor to make the decision of vacation lodging. I am really surprised at the scarcity of 1 star/2 star reviews warning everyone of how likely it is that you will not get what you expect. The resort is definitely a mixed bag and I’ll go into a lot of detail explaining what I mean by that, so sit tight.

First I’ll go through to explain what I was disturbingly disappointed by since that is probably what you’d like to know upfront. By disturbingly disappointed, I mean that by the 2nd night of being there, I was suggesting to my husband that we change our flights and leave right then and there. We ended up salvaging it somewhat, or at least coming to terms with our situation, and tried to make the most of it since it was still our vacation and we weren’t sure when our next one would be.

CONS

OVERBOOKINGS LED TO DOWNGRADED ROOM – MAJOR FAIL

You do all the right things. You save up a substantial amount of money for a lovely family vacation with friends you don’t get to spend enough quality time with. You plan 2 months in advance since you know it will be a busy spring break/Easter week. You book a 1-bedroom suite so that you can have a space of freedom while your baby is napping (twice a day) or sleeping early for the night at like 8PM. After a 12-hour day of traveling, you arrive at the hotel to be told that those dreams are shattered.

Our friends and I both booked a 1-bedroom suite for each of our families so that we can be adults in our living rooms – chat, drink wine, do what adults do when you’re not chasing after toddlers or pleading with them to eat their lunch - after our babies are asleep. We were both told upon arrival that the hotel was overbooked to an alarming degree and that each family will be in a deluxe room – a small open space with two double beds and no doors. You can imagine how this drastically changed our vacation experience.

We were not the only families affected. We were two of 15 other families that were affected by this overbooking (at least 15 is the number they told us when I asked the night we checked in). That’s not just anomalous, that’s hotel policy disaster. The staff was cordial enough with a pleasant manner while they told us but we were incredibly unhappy with this news. Another guest who was told this news (a pregnant mom of two children) started to even uncontrollably cry when she was told her news of downgrade.

Our husbands tried for two days meeting with the manager to try to figure out an amenable situation that would salvage our vacation. The manager said that all the Karisma hotels friendly to families were booked solid so we couldn’t move to another resort. There actually was one smaller hotel that was open but they only had 1 restaurant, which would get very boring for 5 days when you’re not as mobile as adults-without-kids would be to explore outside of a resort. We were stuck. We set up our tiny room in defeat – pushed the two double beds together because two normal-sized adults don’t fit in 1 double bed, tried to build a barrier of pillows on the two chairs that were in the room between the crib and the rest of the small living quarters so that we can at least go to the bathroom while the baby is asleep, and tried to make due. We eventually moved from the deluxe on our 2nd floor to one on the first floor so that we can hang out on the patio of our room and even swim a little during naps. That helped a bit but it definitely wasn’t even close to salvaging the quality time with our friends that we lost and were so looking forward to.

They also tried to make it up by offering $500 dollars in hotel credit (at an all-inclusive resort, mind you). The wives booked a spa treatment with the credit, but beyond that, the rest of the credit went unused and was viewed as a pitiful gesture to try to make up for the disappointment.

The last thing that alarms me about this overbooking situation is the piece of paper they had our husbands sign when we demanded to be compensated the difference of room rate (which apparently has to come from Expedia while will be of course mind numbing and surgically painful). They wrote a letter that we could use to provide to Expedia as proof of the overbooking and downgrade situation so that we will be awarded our room difference compensation but in part of the letter, they asked us to agree to not post any negative reviews on a social network. Luckily, our husbands crossed that line out and initialed it, refusing to agree in keeping our mouths shut. That little effort in gagging unhappy guests tells me that this overbooking is likely a COMMON OCCURRENCE. Despite the pros that I will list later, this stops me from EVER considering to stay at this place again.

POOR BATHROOM DESIGN

The bathrooms in the deluxe rooms have no doors. This meant while we can be quiet and use the sink or toilet with occasional flushing while our toddler slept, we couldn’t shower. I’m all for open air architecture, but I’m really a fan of doors on bathrooms, especially if we are forced to share space with a sleeping baby.

The showers also are prone to flooding the rest of the bathroom. Since the drains drain VERY poorly (which I normally would forgive because I know how septic systems may be more sensitive in Central America), the water collects rapidly in the shower floors that are only like 5 millimeters lower than the rest of the bathroom floor. In minutes, your entire bathroom can become a major slipping hazard if you don’t intervene with multiple towels on the floor.

The double sinks are also so close to each other that there is no room to put the communal hand soap dish anywhere but on one side. It’s not that big of an issue mostly, but it is a slight annoyance when you’re constantly having to reach to the other side to get to the soap. These are the little things I’d take note of if I were designing my own resort, make enough room in the middle or equidistant from each sink for the soap dish. This would also help minimize water drippage on the bathroom floor since it’s already flooding from the shower.

WELCOME WAS SUBPAR

By our welcome, I don’t mean that I expected trumpeting horns and flower petals thrown at our feet when we disembark our champagne lined limousine. I just mean that all the amenities you normally provide your guests upon welcome should have been given to us. Something or someone slipped and since we were already disappointed with our downgrade situation, I’d think that they’d at least give us the minimum welcome everyone else was given. We had a somewhat late arrival of around 7PM, but that’s not really that late by any means.

Our request for a baby bath tub, a pack and play, and high chair was not ready in our room upon arrival (it was ready for our friend). It came piecemeal through the evening. The welcome package of families with little ones just never came for us which included a baby monitor and other things we don’t know of since we never got it. The welcome package for EVERYONE of sunscreen, a tote bag for the beach, and other things we don’t know of since we didn’t get it also NEVER came. On our last day, a staff member passing by asked if we received one and told us to come pick the welcome bag up. Um, it was our last day and of course we weren’t going to go pick it up and that’s the only way we even knew it existed.

FOOD IS BLAH

If this were a yelp review I’d give it 3 stars for food. Some establishments within the resort are better than average and some are worse than average.

The decent ones are:

Arezzo
Flavours

The disappointing ones are:

Szuki
Sea Olive
Oriola

Arezzo is their Italian restaurant close to their infinity pool and beachfront. Some dishes are actually pretty nice. I enjoyed the Cream Toscana (mushroom soup) and Calamari. Their fettucine, stringozzi, and gnocchi are all made fresh in-house which makes those dishes worth eating. The chocolate mousse for dessert is mildly sweet and not overbearing which I appreciated. You have to make reservations for Arezzo and they give you a hard time if you try to walk-in. We had to walk-in once because none of the available times worked (they were just too late for our little guy) and we kind of had to give them a song and dance about it before getting a table.

Flavours becomes like a 2nd home, especially if you have a little one because it’s the only place open for early breakfasts. Our little boy was waking up at 5:30AM every morning. Their breakfast has an omelette station, lots of different types of breads, cereals, yogurts, cheeses, and cut fruit. The papaya is amazing. We would sit by the windows towards the trees in case we would see any spider monkeys for the little guy to be entertained by. The dinner was actually really nice as well. The night we went for dinner, they had a taco station where you can have custom order tacos, burritos or quesadillas. And they had a brick oven ready for personal sized custom pizzas which were also delicious.

I didn’t go to dinner the night our group went to Szuki which is a southeast Asian food place but they all agreed it wasn’t memorable.

Sea Olive was annoying enough that if it was the only place you had to eat, you weren’t going to be excited about your meal. We had two of their fish dishes – Mahi Mahi and Salmon – which were both dry and hard. Their calamari was rubbery and seasoned poorly. Their bruschetta tasted funny, like the olive tapenade was watery or had gone bad. The only thing that I got there that was okay was their California style fish tacos.

Oriola, the restaurant closest to the beach, was by far the most disappointing. Ate there once, and it was immediately crossed off as one of the available places to eat. We just ignored that it existed. We got cheeseburgers with patties that seemed like they were worse quality than the patties they sell at Costco (which actually are decent). There didn’t seem to be much other choice than to order the burgers since all the condiments available catered to burgers – sliced onions, sliced tomatoes, etc. I’m not sure if that was where I got sick, but the night our group went to Szuki for dinner was the night I stayed in the room vomiting. That day we had lunch at Oriola.

The small pool restaurants like Lizards and Palmas are tolerable. You get what you expect from the limited sized kitchens and menus that allow you to eat in your bathing suit. So I won’t review those.

Overall, the service is very snail-paced slow at every restaurant if it’s not buffet. I normally would never slight a vacation-spot restaurant for this, but sometimes it was annoying especially when my tot was near melt-down and we just wanted to finish our sustenance for that mealtime. This is just a warning to try to go a bit earlier than when your little one expects to eat so you can avoid upset, little starving mouths.

BEACH IS ROCKY

I know that if you walk just 5 minutes north, the beach is MUCH nicer (in front of the Princess Resort is when the nicer beach starts). That 5-minute walk becomes 15-20 minutes when you’re with small children. That’s good and all, but again if you’re dragging your toddler and only have 3-4 hour windows between naptimes, but really 1-hour windows before you have to head back to feed the little guy at your all-inclusive resort you paid for, you really do want a beach with an ocean you can swim in right in front of you.

I won’t dock the resort points for this. We expected this. So I wasn’t necessarily disappointed by the fact that the sand was gravelly and uncomfortable to walk in and that swimming was difficult because you’re susceptible to scratching your knuckles or knees on dead coral or a rock.

BUT, if you have limited time windows for beach enjoyment, this is something I now know as a parent. Just book at the place that has the nicer beach. Life will be easier.

PROS

GROUNDS ARE BEAUTIFUL

The overall resort is very nice. You feel like you’re on a beautiful vacation when you step outside your room. Their lawns are green, spongy, and manicured. They have luscious trees and bushes lining their curvy, paved walkways. They have lazy hammocks grouped together in their tree clusters in the open space before you reach their infinity pool. They have a grass tennis court that I quite enjoyed seeing even though I didn’t play any tennis because it just made it feel more natural. And when the infinity pool was emptied of its resort guests for the evening and all you have to see is the empty chairs, quieted pool water, ocean waves crashing on the beach, and palm trees swaying in the tropical wind, it’s quite beautiful.

STAFF IS NICE

Every staff member will never just pass by. They always greet you with a smile and an “hola!” or “Buenos dias!,” even if they’re pushing a cart heavy with ice or carrying a thousand towels. Some of the staff at Flavours even remembered my son’s name and would personally come say hello to him by name.

VERY FAMILY FRIENDLY

This place was made for young families. Every restaurant is armed with plenty of high chairs and high-chair trays wrapped in plastic making you feel like it’s super clean. I found some left over food on a tray one day despite the plastic wrapping, but it was a nice touch that still made me feel like they really cared about my baby’s health. They also have toys at every restaurant that you’re free to pick up at any time to help occupy your kid if you want to eat your food in more than 15 minutes. Their cribs are also very nice, not those small white porta-crib sizes. They’re real sized cribs, made out of wood.

LOVELY SPA

Their spa is great. The treatment I received reminded me of the Balinese style luxury treatment I got while in Bali or Thailand where they wash your feet in a bowl before your massage actually begins. The spa facilities are also beautiful. They have bubbling pools that line the floor and you walk on wood-slatted walkways over the water. It’s immediately relaxing the moment you pass reception with the sound of running/bubbling water all around you. Their relaxation rooms are also sectioned off so you’re not necessarily “relaxing” with 20 other people, which probably would be a little counterintuitive to relaxing. They’re limited to about 5 people per room so it’s a nice touch to make it feel a bit more intimate even when they have to accommodate such a large number of people.

LOCATION

You’re still in Playa del Carmen which is beautiful. The ocean is aqua-green/blue, the weather is warm and tropical, there are iguanas and spider monkeys to remind you that you’re “not in Kansas anymore,” and it’s still a gorgeous place to be.

I would give Azul Fives 1-star, but the combination of their grounds, staff, and spa experience nudged me enough to give that other star. So they became a 2-star place for me.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
KarismaHotelsResorts, General Manager at Azul Fives Hotel, by Karisma, responded to this review, February 9, 2014
Thank you for your comments and we are truly very sorry that you experienced an overbooking situation. we have taken heed of your comments and we can assure you that this situation was an isolated occasion due to a system error , we have not experienced a similar experience since. we found your comments very interesting and your detailed review was addressed in our operations meeting in order to make the necessary improvements

again our sincere apologies
Conifer, Colorado, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

We just spent Spring Break at Azul Fives. We went with our two kids, who are 12 and 14. The rooms, the staff, the service, the food was all excellent. They even serve top shelf liquor. We booked our trip through funjet and got a one bedroom suite. Next time we will book a two bedroom suite, only because I didn't like that the only shower was in the master bedroom. Otherwise the room was very spacious. The property is small enough to feel quaint, but large enough to spread out. We heard several people complain that they didn't get the room they booked. Eventually they were moved. This didn't happen to us, but I would recommend everyone book through a travel service (like funjet) that will give you a guarantee. There was plenty for the kids to do... Volleyball games, water polo, snorkeling.... They aren't into the kids club stuff, though I did see several teenagers at the teenage club. Kids of all ages were here, so families should not fear bore dome. We have stayed at many resorts in riviera maya... Barcelo, Iberostar, grand Pallidium, gran puerto real, but this was by far our favorite. We are recommending this to all our friends and already looking forward to next Spring Break.

Big hats off to my bartender buddies at the lizard swim up bar, Santiago and Alexandro. You guys Are awesome Nd I can't wait to see you again next year!

Room Tip: Upgrade to the suites.... It's worth it!
PEI, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

We were very happy with our vacation at the Azul Fives Hotel. My family of 4, including 14 & 16 year old daughter and son, traveled to Azul Fives from March 15-22. This was my third time travelling to Mexico and have travelled to many other resorts in Cuba and the DR. This was by far our most favourite resort yet! The customer service was the best I've ever experienced.

Room:
We had a 2 bedroom suite (worth every penny!) in Building 3 on the ground floor. I usually avoid ground floors rooms but this one was bug free and extremely clean. The room was huge! When we went into our keyed door there was another keyed door to the 2nd bedroom (which had 2 double beds, double sinks, shower, toilet, mini fridge, safe, closet, and its only balcony with chairs) and another keyed door to the master area (which included a full kitchen with a fridge, stove, dishwasher, microwave, marble countertops, table and chairs for 8 people, a large L shaped white leather sofa with a double pull out bed, toilet and sink across from sofa and a very large balcony AND then the master bedroom with a king bed, jacuzzi, shower, double sinks, toilet, closet, safe, and another balcony). I was worried before we went that we would just have one toilet as it wasn't clear in the brochure or on the website but we ended up with three and two showers so it was perfect for four full grown people! There were times I didn't even know the kids were in the next bedroom as it was quite sound proof. We learned that this room was actually called a condo, which is why it had a full kitchen and was so large. The master balconies faced the outer edge of the resort, which was lucky for us because it happened to be across from the trees that the spider monkeys go to at the end of the day, around 4:30/5:00. My kids loved seeing the monkeys and interacting with them (even feeding them a few bananas)! The 2nd bedroom balcony partially faced the pool.

Food:
The food was great. There was buffet and an a la carte option for breakfast and dinner (closed at lunch) at The Flavours restaurant. The buffet isn't as large as the buffets I've been to at other resorts but they always had lots of food to keep us full and plenty of choices. I never had to wait anymore than a couple of minutes to get an omelet made which is incredible as I've waited in lines for more than fifteen minutes at the other resorts I've been too, so that was extremely impressive for us! Lunch at the beach grill (Orillia) was our favourite. They have the best hamburgers ever! Lunch at the Sea Olive was very good too. The 2 pool bars bars that were open during our stay both had sitting areas where you could order something to eat for lunch off a menu. Whether you were at the beach or at any of the different pool areas, there was always a place very close by to eat lunch. There were 3 a la carte restaurants open during our stay, the Asian and Italian required reservations and the Sea Olive didn't. We enjoyed all of the restaurants! Our Personal Concierge booked our a la carte restaurants for us which was extremely convenient and easy. The house wine was very good at the buffet and a la carte restaurants, no complaints at all! Other resorts would have not so great wine at the buffet restaurant and much better wine at the a la cartes but this restaurant had great wine at all of their restaurants, another plus!! I've read other reviews about people leaving the a la carte restaurants hungry. We always left full, so I'm thinking that those people may not have ordered an item for every part of the meal (ie. appetizer, main course, dessert etc).

Bars:
There was always a bar located close by, whether relaxing at the beach or at any of the pools. The drinks were excellent! We brought bubba kegs but only used them once as the cups were a good size and it never took very long to get another. Staff would often walk by at the beach or pool and ask if you wanted a drink, very nice!! The Skye bar was the only bar open after 6pm, which is at the beach, and it was the only area to socialize in the evening. I did miss having a lobby bar. The Skye bar was also the area that the evening entertainment/shows were held which is very different from any other resort I've been to that had a separate theatre for its shows. I did enjoy that set-up, it was more up close and personal that way. This area would then be an open dance floor space but no one stayed and danced very often. It was quite quiet after the show, definitely hot a party spot, which is nice if travelling with family.

Grounds:
The resort itself was well maintained and clean. I would say that it was the cleanest resort I've been too, this would include the restaurants, rooms, pools, and beach. When walking around the grounds we were often greeted by our Personal Concierge (Rayna and Nadia) and they were always making sure we were getting along ok and asked if we needed anything. If we ever did need anything we would give them a call from our room and someone was there in no time, best service by far!!

Staff:
Another amazing experience! They really made our vacation! We can't say enough good things about their staff. They were all so pleasant. They always smiled and greeted you and were so helpful! We really enjoyed getting to know some of the staff over the week. Because it is only a 360 room resort I found that it was a more personable relationship with the staff. We really enjoyed getting to know Luis, what a really great guy! He is always smiling and truly enjoys life. We did get to know some of his life's history and he is an amazing individual. If you have a chance to meet Luis please take some time to get to know him. He has truly made his own positive mark on this world by being such a positive person. When his story can change a teenager's perspective on life, you know it must be meaningful!!! We also met some other really great staff....Manuel, Cesar, and Araceli (from the beach bar), Mauro (Flavours - great chats at dinner about his love of Canada and Tim's!), Mapo (Teen Club), Leslie and Martin (Skye bar) so take the time to get to know the staff a little, it will make your vacation. A special hello to Jorge and Tony at the Prestige Club.

Our check-in and check-out were quick, no long waits.

Spa/Gym:
They had great gym facilities. We also enjoyed their spa. We had a couples relaxation massage. It was a little more expensive than what we would normally pay at a resort but we did enjoy it and were glad we went. What made the massage so unique was the relaxation ritual that was done before the massage started, a very nice touch! The Spa facility itself was the nicest we've been too.

Beach:
The beach itself was quite nice, very clean, lots of chairs and shade, and smaller than what we are used too. The beach water area was quite rocky so we didn't swim at this beach, we just used the pool. We knew this before we went and based on our kids always wanting to be at the pool we knew it wasn't a big deal for us.

I only have one real complaint, which I did leave as a comment for the resort on checkout. The buffet restaurant had some food in cover dishes and some with no covers. Although the grill area underneath was heated, the area that had dishes not covered didn't keep the food warm enough. Perhaps all they need to do is turn up the grill temperature, as other resorts do have a similiar set-up and their food keeps plenty hot.

I would definitely recommend this resort! From what we experienced on our first vacation at a Karisma resort, I can't wait to see what their other resorts have to offer. If you have any specific questions feel free to contact me.

Nicolle

Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

We have been to the Playa area 6 times and the last 2 times have been to The Fives. The first time fell in love with The Fives it was just my husband and I. In February we traveled to the Fives with our 2 teen-aged children and our family friends..we were a group of 4 adults and 4 older teens. We had a 3 bedroom Penthouse and one extra Deluxe room.

We all had a fabulous time. The Fives is quite new and modern. Rooms are spacious and the rooftop deck is huge!

The staff are all wonderful...the service top notch, and the food is wonderful...especially Flavours breakfast buffet! We ate at all of the restaurants and found something wonderful for everyone each meal. With teens we ordered (they ordered, ha ha) lots of room service and found the service and the food to be very good.

Two of the teens have Celiac Disease and the hotel restaurant staff were extremely accommodating to their needs. The Italian restaurant offers gluten-free pasta. Anyone with any dietary restrictions can advise the hotel in advance and when you check in make sure they have noted those restrictions on your I.D. card.

The Fives is a smaller property and so it is easy to get to know the staff. The teens made tons of friends with many of the staff.

The activities are great fun too. There was, among others, water aerobics, dance classes, tennis, beach volleyball, cooking class, yoga, archery, Spanish lessons. There is always something to do if you want to take advantage of the activities..or you can enjoy the pool and beach.

Nightly shows every night are fun. The best one is the Fire Show on the beach!

I could go on and on about how wonderful The Fives is. For the most part the reviews written by other travelers have had the same experiences that all of us have and so no sense having you read the same points over and over. I have read the odd negative review and I take them with a grain of salt. We all love it, our friends who joined us love it and two other family's that we recommended try The Fives went and they all loved it too! Plan to enjoy yourself...and you will!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to Azul Fives Hotel, by Karisma? Share your experiences!