“FABULOUS FIVES!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Azul Fives Hotel, by Karisma

You added Azul Fives Hotel, by Karisma to your Saves list
Azul Fives Hotel, by Karisma
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   Predio El Limonar Fraccion 2 | Xcalacoco, Municipio de Solidaridad, Playa del Carmen, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save Up to 30%
Ranked #31 of 200 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Edmonton, Canada
“FABULOUS FIVES!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

We have been to the Playa area 6 times and the last 2 times have been to The Fives. The first time fell in love with The Fives it was just my husband and I. In February we traveled to the Fives with our 2 teen-aged children and our family friends..we were a group of 4 adults and 4 older teens. We had a 3 bedroom Penthouse and one extra Deluxe room.

We all had a fabulous time. The Fives is quite new and modern. Rooms are spacious and the rooftop deck is huge!

The staff are all wonderful...the service top notch, and the food is wonderful...especially Flavours breakfast buffet! We ate at all of the restaurants and found something wonderful for everyone each meal. With teens we ordered (they ordered, ha ha) lots of room service and found the service and the food to be very good.

Two of the teens have Celiac Disease and the hotel restaurant staff were extremely accommodating to their needs. The Italian restaurant offers gluten-free pasta. Anyone with any dietary restrictions can advise the hotel in advance and when you check in make sure they have noted those restrictions on your I.D. card.

The Fives is a smaller property and so it is easy to get to know the staff. The teens made tons of friends with many of the staff.

The activities are great fun too. There was, among others, water aerobics, dance classes, tennis, beach volleyball, cooking class, yoga, archery, Spanish lessons. There is always something to do if you want to take advantage of the activities..or you can enjoy the pool and beach.

Nightly shows every night are fun. The best one is the Fire Show on the beach!

I could go on and on about how wonderful The Fives is. For the most part the reviews written by other travelers have had the same experiences that all of us have and so no sense having you read the same points over and over. I have read the odd negative review and I take them with a grain of salt. We all love it, our friends who joined us love it and two other family's that we recommended try The Fives went and they all loved it too! Plan to enjoy yourself...and you will!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (978)
Atlanta, GA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

We just returned from Spring Break at Azul Fives. Let me start by saying the one thing this resort did have going for them was the staff. Service was great for the most part. Ruben, the pool butler, and Arriceta the beach waitress did their best daily to make our stay wonderful. In fact, if it weren't for Ruben, we would never have had a beach bed or chairs together at the pool or beach, as they're all reserved before 7 AM. I went out one morning at 5AM in hopes of getting just one chair by the edge of the pool so that I could let my kids swim in the pool while I was able to watch from a lounge chair. They were ALL reserved already. Unfortunately, there are some things staff cannot overcome.

Our disappointment began even before we got to resort when our travel company called to say Azul Fives overbooked and wanted to move us off site to another resort. We were able to resolve this with the help of Vacation Express, and thought we were off to a good start. Sadly, it was not the case. I have traveled to Mexico 20+ times in the last 20 years, always staying in the better resorts in the Cancun/Playa del Carmen/Riviera Maya area. I have stayed at 2 Adult only Karisma properties in the past, and was very satisfied, which is the reason we looked only at Azul properties for this Family Vacation with our 2 young children, 5 and 7. If you are used to traveling to this area and enjoy the "secure" feeling you typically get on resort grounds, LOOK ELSEWHERE. Azul Fives is literally next door to the public beach access for the area. Beach and pool have a fence beside them which backs up to an alley where locals hang out and access the beach. This brings in an "element" to the Azul Fives beach that I have never had in any resort. I saw one man walking early morning down the beach, 5 feet from my beach chair, carrying a 2 foot long machete, holding it so that it was as hidden as he could manage. I saw locals actually bathing themselves and their children in the sea, complete with cups to rinse off with. There was an OPEN dumpster at the end of the alley, literally 5-6 feet from the beach beds, which by Saturday sent such a horrendous odor into the beach area, it was barely tolerable. It was apparent that the local fisherman who are out with their nets each morning simply dump what they don't need in this dumpster before leaving, and the smell of dead fish was sickening. In addition, we were told by the staff that if we wanted to walk along the beach, to stick to heading left, as the right was all "privatized" area, and known for drug cartel activity. I only wish we had been told this before I made the mistake of leaving my beach bag on the beach bed for 20 minutes. It was STOLEN from the bed, and I was told by 3 members of the staff that it was surely due to the locals having access right next to the beach bed.

As for the "gourmet inclusive" food, it was far from it. I was served raw chicken kabob at the beach grill, which I did not notice until my 3rd bite from that kabob. That night I awoke at midnight to a terrible case of food poisoning, vomiting every 15 minutes for 6 hours straight. I spent the entire next day in the room sick. The Italian and Asian restaurants were impossible to get a reservation, yet when we accepted the 8:30 time slot they said was our only option, knowing our kids were asleep by 6, the restaurant was like a ghost town. We met a family with older kids, who said they were told their only option was a 5:30 reservation, (the same day, and time we wanted) They were one of 3 tables eating there at that time. I can only assume they are trying to steer the masses to the buffets where profits are high. Super disappointing. That was the only reservation we were given. Everything and every other day were "booked solid."

Kids club was good, friendly staff and activities varied. However, the equipment was not safe. Our children got on the see saw to play, and the handle broke off completely with my 5 year old son in at the top, sending him 4-5 feet to the ground on his neck.

Room service was fine for the most part. We had to order it several nights, due to being refused a reservation at any of the restaurants. There were a few times we called and asked for things that simply never came, but for the most part, it was ok.

We had a 1 bedroom suite, which was nice. One of the toilets ran constantly, and we had no hot water in the shower the first day, but they did fix that. There was however a distinct sewage "stench" that haunted the room.

Lastly, although our travel company was able to help us get the room we reserved, we did not come across ANY other guests who were happy with their room. Every one was downgraded and offered some sort of resort credit to compensate. It is completely insane to me that they could be so severely overbooked.

I will no doubt return to Mexico, and the RIviera Maya area, but NEVER again to this or any of the Azul Properties. They have some serious work to do.

Room Tip: Building 4 is close to the beach and pool, but next door to kids club. Good for families with young...
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

Recently visited the hotel from the 26th March - 2nd April. Didn't get off to a great start at the hotel when after a long flight we arrived to be told we were to be down graded to a deluxe room from a one bedroom suite for the first 3 nights. We weren't the only ones being downgraded on the day we checked in and there were also families being downgraded on the day we checked out. The hotels customer service manager was almost verging on rude and got the impression she was trying to keep us in the downgraded room for longer than needed to avoid problems with further bookings as when questioned finally agreed to move us to a one bedroom end suite after only one night. The compensation offered by the Hotel was only a 1/3 of what was offered by Thompson all thanks to Emma our tour Rep.

After not a great start we were looking forward to getting our holiday under way. The standard of the rooms when we were moved into the suite was of a high quality although there was a slight damp smell in the rooms from the air conditioning. As we found out as the week developed the hotel was originally intended to be a site for Condos which was converted to a hotel as they could not sell enough Condos. The site has been a hotel for 12 months and is struggling with quality staff.

The main issue we had with the hotel was the quality of the service in many of the restaurants. On our first full day we had lunch in the Olive tree and there were seven of us in our group as we were travelling with another family. Two meals came out and we finished which were heat before another 3 meals came out and were eaten before the final two meals arrived at the table. Although in general the concierge service were very helpful we were only able to book restaurant tables for the last 3 nights of our stay.

On other days at lunch we tried to eat at the Orieola restaurant where on one day they had run out of bugger buns then the second day they had run out of buggers, hot dogs and pizzas which basically left the salad bar!!! This is defiantly not what you would consider to be Gourmet All Inclusive as it was advertised. The only elements that could be considered gourmet would be the Italian Arrezo and Asian inspired Tsuki restaurants. On all the menus though there were very few vegetarian options which made things very difficult for my wife. Even when requesting food from the menu without the meat added this proved to be very difficult as it would often turn up with the meat included!

The service around the pool bars was excellent and special mention must go to Santiago on the pool bar who looked after us all week and makes a great Margarita. The pools in the middle of the complex were well spread out and fairly quiet. We did have a day on the beach which we found to be very crowded with sunbeds virtually on top of each other. When we walked down the beach other hotels had much more beach space probably down to the fact they were always intended to be hotels and not Condos.

From speaking to the Prestige Travel sales agents at the site who tried to sell us a timeshare scheme whilst we were at the hotel the Sensatori hotel by the same group is a far better hotel Ian similar area.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
North Vancouver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013 via mobile

Just returned from a 2 wk. stay. I travelled as a group of adults. On the positive side: wonderful staff (Thanks to restaurant staff... Antonio, Raul, Pedro, Caesar, Alejandro, Samuel, Hignicio and so many more... Your hard work is appreciated). The landscaping and pools are fabulous. I would say the food is overall good to very good. My favourites were the portobello mushroom soup at the Italian place and the Malaysian soup at the Japanese restaurant. Of course, I enjoyed all of the Mexican food and the breakfast buffet at Flavours is great. The resort should improve the following: more chairs are required both on the beach and poolside; there is only 1 towel exchange at the infinity pool and there should be one located near the lazy river as well; the area between the villas and the beach alongside the tennis court requires more lighting at night to ensure safety. There are many families with small children at this resort...so be forewarned. I was hoping for an adults only pool area...no luck.

Stayed March 2013
Grosse Pointe Far
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

I stayed in a one bedroom penthouse suite, with a roof deck during the week before and including Easter with my three teenage children (18, 16 and 15 - my youngest had his birthday there). I chose the hotel in part because of the "gourmet" all inclusive package, which was an affordable way to keep my two sons in cheeseburgers and sodas at will without worrying about the tab. Well; it was cheap - I'll give it that, but at what expense? We spent so much of the trip being irritated by all of the problems, and all that "gourmet" food (like nachos made with cheese wiz) was pretty disgusting, that we would have been better off going to a nicer place.

For starters, when we arrived, around noon, the hotel lobby seemed like a cruise ship had just docked. It was literally packed with people standing in line four deep at three different desks waiting to check in. It immediately felt stressful, like: is there one line? Do we have to pick which desk looks fastest? When we finally got our turn, we learned that our room would not be ready until 3pm sharp (check in time!!). We were encouraged to check back in case it was ready early, but, alas, the maids (we were told) mopped their way out of our room at precisely 3pm.

However, when we got to our room, it was not clean. There was debris all over the rug - including chewed gum. Food spray on the fridge. The "mini-bar" fridge was empty. There was an empty Tequila bottle under the sink. A container of chewing tobacco in the couch cushions, dirty room service plates - you get the picture, I'm sure. Interestingly, the bed was made and the towels were fresh - so a maid had been through…

That night we called for room service, which takes on average 45 minutes at all times of the day. Half of the meal did not arrive, of the half that did, part of that was very cold. Much later the other half came.

When we tried to make reservations at one of the restaurants for dinner during our stay on the second night there, we learned that there were no reservations available for any night during our stay. Later, as an inticement for me to go to a time share/premium membership type sales pitch, which is HEAVILY promoted throughout the hotel a concierge offered to override the bookings and arrange for dinner reservations at one of the restaurants on the evening of my son's birthday. When we had our dinner, we couldn't help but notice that fully half of the restaurant was available! The hotel reserves tables for their "premium" members and claims reservations aren't available to their ordinary guests, even when the restaurant is practically empty.

As to this sales thing: We were bamboozled into wasting most of a day with two sales people trying their hardest to get us to part with a huge chunk of money in order to have the honor of being "premium" members of the Karisma Club. The concierge who got us reservations offered us (my sixteen year old daughter and I) two one hour massages after we completed a tour, lunch and presentation of the companies sister hotels, which would last "one and a half" hours. Well, there was no tour or lunch - just a hard sell in front of a computer screen in an office that lasted 3 ½ hours!! Then - the massages ended up being "beach side" massages, not in the spa at all. We didn't even want them.

One of the other persistent irritations at this hotel was the miserly towel policy. When we checked in, we were presented with four small plastic card (one each). Each card could be exchanged for a pool towel. When you return the pool towel, you get your card back. If you lose your card, however, you are charged $30 US dollars. That's steep. Especially since everyone at the resort is subject to this policy; so if some child lost his card, one could imagine that seeing a card laying around a table would be pretty tempting - and not everyone has someplace to put their cards when they're at a pool or at the beach. Also, the hotel runs out of plastic card, then just issues pieces of paper, which get wet or blow away - but they're worth $30!!! It's just ridiculous. We shouldn't have to worry about that kind of thing on vacation.

Then there's the staff. For the most part they're fine, but there is an extremely unprofessional undercurrent. I have a sixteen year old daughter. It was absolutely unbelievable how many hotel employees were hitting on her. We've been home for two days now and somehow some random employee of Azul Fives has sent her a facebook friend request. To the best of our recollection, he was our waiter at dinner one night - but the fact that he tracked her down on facebook is downright creepy.

In compensation for our messy room upon check-in, the hotel offerred us free wi-fi and and in room/patio BBQ dinner, which we accepted. I was very surprised that just before the dinner was to be served, the concierge arrived with a form for me to sign releasing the hotel from all claims, ect..(not as if I was going to sue) AND stating that I would not publish any review, opinion, report, ect. on any public media or internet site. The gall!! I crossed that out and told her, if you have a problem with that, just keep your BBQ and I'll pay for internet.

Last, but not least, I requested my bill the night before in order to facilitate check out the following morning. I was surprised to learn that this was not possible. It was impossible because I had to actually go down to the lobby (wait in line behind all the people checking in) in order to get my "check out pass". Yes. There is a parking garage type arm in the circular driveway in front of the lobby and they will not let guests leave without a checkout pass. It's like the Fascist State of Azul Five. Aaaaaah!!!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

My family of 4, including 18 & 19 year old daughters, traveled to Azul Fives from March 16-23. We have traveled to Mexico 7 times (plus other locations throughout the Caribbean) and stayed at different hotels each time. We loved this resort, especially the size and service.

Employees:
Every employee here was friendly and helpful, even without having to tip them (although we did). These people work so hard, always with a smile on their faces, and should be rewarded for this. Our favorites were Araceli at the beach, Rubin the pool butler and Francisco the waiter. Our concierge was Alex and he was very helpful and quick to resolve any problems. Check in/out ran smoothly as did making excursion plans with Olympus Tours (we went to Xel-ha and would highly recommend it).

Food:
The food here was very good. Breakfast at Flavours and lunch at Sea Olive were the best. Dinner at the buffet was much better than the 2 specialty restaurants. Neither the Italian or Asian dinner impressed us. We had dinner 1 night at Sea Olive and we all had steaks that were very good. We went out for dinner 1 night to a restaurant called Alux that was located in a cave. Great to see and dinner was excellent.

Rooms:
The rooms are fabulous here. We had a 1 bedroom penthouse suite in building 5. Lots of room for the 4 of us plus lots of monkey watching. They swing through the trees right off our roof and balcony and will even come in for a visit if offered fruit. The lighting is a little dark in the bathroom and caused a few head bumps on the ill-placed cabinets. And sometimes there was a funky smell but Alex rectified that by having the unit sprayed with aromatherapy.

Pool/Beach:
Both are beautiful. Plenty of chairs and access to shade. Pool is cool but cools you right down as it should. Beach is rocky for swimming but walking up the beach is not a big deal. We did it several times a day. 3-4 minute walk is all it takes. We walked in both directions for longer walks and the beach just goes on and on.

Bars:
Drinks at all bars are excellent. Wines are just ok. The shows at night are fun. They have a different dance/entertainment group come in every night to Sky Bar and most were entertaining. Nightlife basically ends when the show does.

Time Share Presentation:
Well we have been to probably 100 presentations (we are really good at getting out quickly with our prize) and we were very impressed with what was offered to us...and we bought it! Can't wait to use it! They have a bunch of sister properties in the same area.

Spa/Gym
Excellent! Try it!! You won't regret it! I had 1 massage at spa and one at beach/pool area. I did walk down the beach and had a massage for a fraction of the price and it was also great. I did not use the gym but my girls did every morning. They would run first around the resort (it forms a loop and lots of people were doing the same thing). They would then use the gym and finish their workout with a smoothie. The smoothie bar is such a great idea. We all got them every morning. I have never been to a resort before where so many people exercised while on vacation.

We were very happy with this resort and would highly recommend it. It does involve a lot of walking but we like to work off all the food and drink. There were lots of families there and they seem to really cater to families with small children. I am looking forward to trying their other resorts, probably the adult only ones will be next on our list.

As far as all the complaints we have read about in this forum, we did not experience anything worth complaining about. Sometimes all you have to do is to kindly speak to someone in charge and they seem more than happy to make the customer happy. We were very happy!

Room Tip: Building 5 is closest to the beach, although none are on the beach. Penthouse units will give you an...
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

We held a 40 guests wedding event in mid March at this hotel. The wedding and hotel at Mexico was great. The onsite wedding coordinator Arturo along with all the hotel staffs were great. The hotel is a perfect size for someone who doesnt want a mega resort but prefer to have a descend all inclusive experience. The only reason why I would not recommend this hotel for wedding event is because of the office in Miami (866-527-4763) which you have to contact to get everything (hotel/wedding planning) set up prior your arrival. This review is more on the customer service prior to arrival and not a reflection of the service and experience we had upon arrival at the hotel.

All in all, the Miami office staff who handle our hotel booking was a nightmare. Our rsvps were not properly handled, some of my guests were charged incorrectly. We were told 20% was the best discount offered for our group but the website offers a 35% discount. We were told 35% can not be combined with "Free wedding" package, that was a complete lie. They offered a 40% discount on their website after all our guests completed their payment (5 months prior). The manager at Miami was kind enough to refund the 5% discount at our request. However, the refunds were promised to credit within 14 business days and they did not go thru as promised. It took about 2 months after we had to call them daily to push it through. We fought with that office on everything (because we already signed the contract and could not switch to somewhere else) which made the experience very unpleasant. Others who I know had their wedding planning at other hotels in Mexico had a very easy experience. If you are planning a wedding there, make sure you compare everything against what is advertised on their website. Also, I think it is best to work with someone onsite (in mexico) versus with their Miami office (thou I don't think that's an option). For that, I would choose another hotel because too many information get lost and were not communicated to the Mexico staffs.

Our first issue: Upon arrival, including myself who has a 9 month infant, the hotel rsvp staff in mexico had no knowledge of any requests for 5 out of 12 rooms we booked that required baby amenities. Prior to my arrival, I emailed the Miami staff and she confirmed all amenities were noted on rsvp. This was clearly not the case.

Second issue: Our group booked this hotel 9 months in advanced and completed payments 5 months prior to arrival. We requested that all our guests' stay as close as possible and not be spread out via the entire ground. Upon arrival, the staffs were not aware of this request, our group had rooms spread out every where in the resort.

Third Issue: The hotel oversold and downgraded one of one bedroom suite to a deluxe room for one of our guests who has an infant and specifically booked the suite because of the kitchen. My guest was not notified until arrival and she was stuck with a deluxe room with an infant. She was offered a hotel credit, which she kindly refused and requested money back instead.

All 3 issues we had (which were confirmed by the Miami office that it was handled properly) were unacceptable given how advance these rsvps. were booked and paid for.

In regards to the wedding coordinator at the Miami Office. She was very polite and gets back to you with answers on a normal turn around time. The only thing I wish was that she would be more pro-active in suggesting location and things possible for the event as she should be more familiar with the hotel grounds. Basically, I got answers for everything I asked, but nothing more. The one big mistake she made which I want to mention here is that we had a private cocktail booking, i was told the only outdoor location opts are by the pool and on the beach. When we arrived, Arturo (onsite wedding coordinator) told us we could have it at the second floor outdoor Terrace and that it is the most popular option. Doh! what a night and day option! So for any bride to be, please note this location if you are planning a wedding cocktail cause our wedding coordinator did not suggest this as an option. It is way nicer and more private than by the pool.

The staff in hotel were very friendly as in all Mexico hotels. Great resort for families. The wedding on the beach is nice, semi private (but ppl around are very respectable during the ceremony). The rooms are nicely decorated and great size. We did not use the penthouse at night cause it was too dark, but enjoyed having room service breakfast there. The food is average but that's very subjective. I would probably visit again if they have a great promotion but I can not recommend this hotel for wedding unless they change the policy and allow you to work with their onsite wedding coordinator directly (as in most other hotels).

Room Tip: One bedroom suite for families. 2 bedroom suite on ground floors are better than having a 2 bdrm pen...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to Azul Fives Hotel, by Karisma? Share your experiences!