“Azul Fives, surely it should be another number, say Three?” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Azul Fives Hotel, by Karisma

Save Saved
You added Azul Fives Hotel, by Karisma to your Saves list
Azul Fives Hotel, by Karisma
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   Predio El Limonar Fraccion 2 | Xcalacoco, Municipio de Solidaridad, Playa del Carmen, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Up to 35% Off + Kids Free
Ranked #37 of 197 hotels in Playa del Carmen
Huddersfield
“Azul Fives, surely it should be another number, say Three?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

This is my first time on a site of this nature however, having spent part of my honeymoon at this "complex" I feel it only fair to share our experiences, the decision driven by the fact that whilst staying there over New Years, we kindly and politely requested a meeting with the Hotel Manager, to air our concerns, however, was flatly refused..
We are fair and respectful people and do not ask for much in life, simply honesty, respect and simple creature comforts including a star rating which truly represents a facility, treatment by employees in an honest manner and more than two minutes worth of hot water whilst in our room..sadly the Azul fails on all counts. Underage drinking, children running around with scooters at poolside, overbooked restaurants, lack of loungers by the pool overlooking the sea, food of average quality, badly lit and sparsely furnished rooms with an open plan nature and a near transparent toilet door....such a disappointment as on the surface, the facility does look appealing.

Room Tip: Check to see if the room is owned by a private landlord, not the hotel!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

1,781 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (672)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Just got back from 2 weeks at Azul Fives Hotel. I have stayed there multiple times this year and am more impressed each time I go!

The food in the Italian & Japanese Restaurant is amazing. Not your typical resort food at all. All a la cart, fresh made to order meals. Service is friendly and efficient.

The Beach Club is off the hook! There are butlers there to help you move chairs and umbrellas, sun screen and magazines are provided, activities, beautiful white sand beach, premium drinks, what else could you ask for?

The highlight of my stay this time was the waiters & servers at the Beach Club Pool Bar. They are such a group of characters, and made me smile everyday! Santiago, Caesar, Domingo, Arely & Ramon - You guys are the best!!! Thank you for the laughs and Spanish lessons!!

Overall, I had an outstanding vacation! Viva Mexico!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Nantwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

We had a superb family holiday here in August 2012. For an 'all inclusive' resort,it didn't skimp on the quality of the food or the alcohol! The resort was kept spotlessly clean, the majority of the staff were very personable (Caesar at the main pool bar, was one great character) and the service was, almost without exception, extremely good.

In fact, the reality of a resort like this is that you actually end up looking for things that could be better and, with a few minor tweaks, this could be a world-class resort. As it is, it's first class, and you can't really fault that. Would I go again? In an instant!

Room Tip: I contacted the hotel several months before travelling to ensure my family (7 of us) were kept toget...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Knoxville, Tennessee
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

We just returned from a family reunion at Fives. 6 Adults and 6 teens 12-17. We were not please at all. Have traveled the world and stayed in a number of resorts even Playa Del Carmen area before but Azul Fives was not great!
Fives just did not measure up in any respect:
poor service on check in and poor location down an old road toward the beach no grand entry
we had requested rooms in the same bldg and pool walk outs months in advance...ended up in different bldgs and upper floors, no one cared or even suggested we hadhad specific room requests.
food was only fair, no great seafood was offered
pool ran out of glasses used paper cups, pool service very slow
very hard to get reservations in the resturants and only one area for buffet
could not charge to the room but pay as you go for gift shop or wine ordered with dinner
the beach is terrible, the dive shop non existent, and no beach activities other than volley ball
had to go to other resorts to get jet skis etc, divie shop had only one tank and no air for it
no control on the liquor served to minors...a major distraction for parents
staff was friendly and tried hard but Azul is not properly supporting this property
no views of anything but the pool and condo bldgs
water pressure and hot/cold was very inconsistent during our stay
on a positive note the rooms were large and comfortable, but had cheap furniture

We could continue with comments but to wrap it up we spent a lot of $ and did not get anything close to our requests or expectations. Azul Fives appears to be a condo complex that never made it, so it was turned into a hotel as well.!!

Room Tip: Do not book Azul Fives, there a hundreds of top locations for the same price
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
KarismaHotelsResorts, General Manager at Azul Fives Hotel, by Karisma, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Thank you for your review and, as General Manager, I would like to take this opportunity to offer my sincere apologies for what seemed to be a a disappointing family vacation and did not measure up to your expectations.

We do take pre arrival requests however we ensure all our guests know that this is subject to availability and no guarantees can be made. Unfortunately on your arrival it was not possible to offer rooms in the same buidlings. There are various reasons for this , one is the room types booked , another is the occupancy of the hotel and the availability of room locations. I can assure you we do our utmost to comply will all the requests we receive and I am sorry, on this occasion , we were able to place all rooms within the same buidling .

I have discussed your comments with my executive team. Only when guests ask for Coffee , this is served in disposal thermal cups , no other drinks are served in anything other than plastic or glass, depending on the area. All pool bars use Plastic glasses for health and safety reasons. With regards to our restaurants, only one out of our Five restaurants requires reservations . All others operate without reservations , on a first come , first served basis.

Again, I am sorry that we fell short of expectationsand it saddens me to know that you di dnot enjoy your experience at the Azul Fives Hotel. I have carefully considered all comments mentioned and I am currently following up so improvments can be made wherever necesary.

Mario Mathieu
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013 via mobile

What can I say about this hotel!!! Pure heaven! This hotel is one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in! I have travelled the world and stayed at many hotels and this is by far the best! If you want to ' slim' this is not the hotel for you as the food is first class!!! We stayed 11 nights and never ever had a bad meal!!! The food was super!!! The staff were so so friendly n could not do enough for you! We are already looking to go back in 2013!!! Tip for the hotel take plenty of low $ notes as you want to tip everyone for their service as they are brilliant!( hotel can change money but 1$ notes are like gold dust)! Would recommend this hotel over and over again!!! ( ps watch out for the little spider monkeys, they really are cheeky, they stole out tv remote and threw it over balcony!!!! So cute though!!)

• Stayed December 2012
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

I want to start of review by saying that going into booking at Azul Fives, i did have some hesitation. But, what happens when you wait until last minute to book a NYE vacation is that you get stuck with not many options. Prior to booking, i also did my due diligence and checked tripadvisor reviews as well as reviews on other travel sites.

Where do I begin....

We purchased our travel package through Travelocity. We booked a 1 bedroom suite since my boyfriend and I were traveling with my daughter and her friend. We wanted some privacy so we figured the best way to go was to book a suite so we at least had a wall between us and the kids vs. us all sharing a deluxe double bedroom (2 full beds - standard hotel room).

When we arrived we checked in and was taken to our room - we thought, how nice, we were on the same floor as my cousin who was traveling with her family. We get to the room and its a deluxe double bedroom - NOT the one bedroom suite. We immediately called the front desk. They told us yes, youre right, we see that you originally booked a one bedroom suite through your travel agent, we're not sure why they told us you were in a deluxe double bedroom. My thought is, if that's what the travel agent sent, then how did you know that we were supposed to get a one bedroom suite. Seems suspicious. Next, they tell me that sorry, the hotel is completely sold out and there are no suites available. But, would they would offer us is $300 credit at the resort. Let's be clear - our suite was $300 more per night than the deluxe bedroom, so basically they were offering us money we had already paid for one night.

After speaking to at least 3 different "managers" and waiting for an hour for a call back, we called back the front desk one last time and told them that was not acceptable. Finally, they offered to give us all inclusive for our first 3 days and then on the 4th day, they would move us into a suite as it is vacated. At this pt, with the hotel being full, we had no other options. So my bf and I shared a full size bed as did the 2 kids.

FOOD:
The food at Azul Fives is SUBPAR. Im not sure what "Gourmet Inclusive" even stands for, because nothing there was gourmet. The Sea Olives - a mediterranean restaurant- served fried burritos, tacos and NOTHING mediterranean. Flavours breakfast buffet is ok. Oriola Beach Grill served the same items every day. Ribs, burgers, fries, fajitas, salad bar. Arezzo italian is their saving grace. The food there is actually decent - though it requires reservations - when we arrived there was nothing available during our regular dinner hour, so we ate there at 5pm.

On NYE day, the 5 other ppl we traveled with ate lunch earlier, so my daughter and I ate lunch by ourselves later in the day at Oriola. That evening at dinner , my daughter and i both started feeling ill. When we arrived back at the hotel an hour and a half later, I started to vomit. My daughter started to feel queasy as well. We both were up until 6AM vomiting and with diarriah. Obviously, we both had food poisoning and ended up spending the next 2 days in bed sick.

After 2 days of being sick, I decided to try to eat some soup. Tortilla soup is traditionally a chicken based broth with vegetables and tortilla strips. I figured that would be good for my stomach. When the soup arrived, it was dark red with floating grease drops in it. I tasted it and it tasted like OLD hamburger grease. I called and complained.

I couldnt eat any other food at the hotel for the rest of our stay there, because I was scared to get sick again.

DRINKS:
Beers are around $4, Sparkling water/Soda $3, Mixed drinks $8.
Only beers they serve are Tecate and Sol. Mixed drinks aste either watery or like melted fruit popsicles and not like pina coladas or strawberry daquieris. Very disappointing.

ROOM Part 2:
On our third day we were moved to an upgraded suite, all would have been well except, the entire room smelled like an ashtray and the room was dirty. There was garbage/old food in the garbage cans, sand and spill marks all over the floor.
We asked to have room service come clean, they never showed up.
The next day, we asked for some clean towels and pots to boil hot water for coffee. They arrived 5 hours later and the pots were dirty with food gunk. We asked our room to be serviced when we left at 12pm, when we returned at 4, the room was still dirty. We called again and was told they stop servicing rooms at 5. So we asked for the cleaning crew to come around 5 so we had time to shower and leave the room. At 5, we waited, no one showed up until 6pm. I went to use the bathroom and when I came out, they had made up the sofa bed and then left. We had to call and complain again.

INTERNET:
Expensive: $10 per day per device or $50 per week per device. Too bad we couldnt even get the internet to connect to our computers. We called twice to have someone come check it out - no one ever showed up and we gave up.

In Conclusion:
Sadly to say, we spent over $3800 on our hotel stay - which was not worth it at all, especially since half our party lost 2 days to food poisoning and that 4 of us were crammed into a small room we did not book. I will never stay here again. If it werent for the amazing weather during our stay, this would have been a disaster.

Room Tip: Go to another resort.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
KarismaHotelsResorts, General Manager at Azul Fives Hotel, by Karisma, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
As General Manager , I would like to start by expressing my sincere apologies for the inconvenience experienced on arrival to the Azul Fives Hotel. We understand that this was not an ideal situation and I can assure you that this is not typical of our service. I am happy to know that my executive team was able to resolve this matter, providing you with the appropriate gestures.

At the Azul Fives Hotel we do have a dynamic team that head of Food and Beverage department. Our Chef is a wealth of experience and has worked in some of the most well reowned hotels & restaurants in the world. I'm truly very sorry that we fell below expectations . Being a trained chef myself , i do believe that we serve quality Gourmet Cuisine which the majority of our guests thoroughly enjoy.

I would like you to know that the health and wellbeing of our guests is of the utmost importance and we can assure you that we follow strict hygiene procedures and we take many precautionary measures. Temperature readings are recorded, storage is inspected and each week samples of foods (raw and cooked) are sent to the labs to be tested. As well as this, we are subject to regular external audits and tests conducted by Sani consult, a leading company in health and hygiene standards and practices. We have exemplary results and we take pride in our high standards of health and hygiene.

I do appreciate your feedback and I have carefully considered your comments and suggestions so that the appreciate action can be taken.

Best Regards

Mario Mathieu
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013 via mobile

I was travelling alone , I had a great time , crazy Rodrigo at the health bar was awesome , great healthy drinks good advice and friendly!!! Food was great staff friendly loved that there were so many pool options. I would love to go back. Good tennis, but bring your own tennis balls. Internet expensive , if you are down by the beach, you can get it free.

Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
It truly means alot that you wished to share your experiences.
I'm very happy that you had a wonderful stay and hope you will return to the Azul Fives in the future.

Best Regards

mario Mathieu
gm@azulfiveshotel.com

Been to Azul Fives Hotel, by Karisma? Share your experiences!