“So beautiful! Loved our time here.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Azul Fives Hotel, by Karisma

You added Azul Fives Hotel, by Karisma to your Saves list
Azul Fives Hotel, by Karisma
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   Predio El Limonar Fraccion 2 | Xcalacoco, Municipio de Solidaridad, Playa del Carmen, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save Up to 30%
Ranked #31 of 200 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Mississauga, Canada
“So beautiful! Loved our time here.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

We chose Azul Fives because it looked personal, smaller, and so pretty and we weren't wrong. The promise of good food (really good food, not just lots of it) and beautiful beach/pool was exactly as offered.
We stayed last Jan/Feb for a week for our first time down south. Everyone was welcoming and professional and very helpful - good advice from everyone about visiting Playa del Carmen, or what Mayan sites to visit, or even background about life around us. We loved the food at the Sea Olive especially, but had wonderful dinners with our teens at Arezzo as well. Flavours was a wonderful & interesting spot for breakfast - lots of choice and help learning about new foods. We loved breakfast with 'jugo verde' and monkeys peering at us through the windows.

The pools were gorgeous - the long, winding pool outside our room beckoned at all hours, so we could run out and dip in anytime. Some of the evening activities were cheesy and we didn't stay for them every night but it was nice to have the option. My kids were 13 & 16 and wished for some options that suited them more than the young children's activities, but soccer on the beach was great fun for my son. Some movies played were appealing and the kids would hang out there for a bit. They never felt quite content to do things on their own.

Our room was a 2 br-suite - stunning! larger than needed (we didn't need the dining room table etc) but very important to have separate rooms, and separate beds for the kids even if it was just the 4 of us. Too many hotels & suites don't seem to understand that. Only draw back was that for a large suite, we only had 2 chairs on our balcony and a couple of requests for 2 more didn't result in a response. Another request to adjust a confusing ceiling fan was fast & satisfactory.

We ignored advice by touristy friends to just stay on our resort and boy we were glad! As nice as it is to sit on a beach and relax, I get antsy to do stuff and it wasn't really a quiet beach. We took some excursions to Ek Balam (with rappelling into the cenote!! AMAZING!!!) Worth the drive. Also we went to Coba and climbed to the top for the most satisfying accomplishment ever! (Safety regulators in Canada would have heart failure, but this was worth every ounce of fear!) I let my kids climb too and would do it again. Beautiful spots for learning and history lessons that make up for a week away from school. The town of Playa del Carmen was lovely and we felt very comfortable walking around and popping into shops (off-resort food is fine! No worries at all!)

The resort was a wonderful rest between such active trips and the food really was delightful. The architecture is different and lovely, and all the spaces are luxurious. I'd love to come again if the world wasn't such a grand place to explore. Maybe some day we'll come, and we'd be perfectly happy to stay here again.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
KarismaHotelsResorts, General Manager at Azul Fives Hotel, by Karisma, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Dear Carolyn

firstly I would like to thank your for choosing the Azul Fives for your recent vacation. we certainly do our best to provide unique dining experiences; introduce our guests to a new,innovative cuisine , just as good, if not better, than as any traditional luxury restaurant .
Flavours is one of my personal favorites , with its natural, outdoors feel and of course , the monkeys.

I would like you to know that we have just open our Extreme Teens club , and its a place that is very chic and funky. There is a social media center, DJ lessons, wii competitions, a fire pit and outdoor movies, Just to name a few of things that we have added to occupy the teens.

Also I'm very happy to hear that you chose to venture out of the hotel and enjoy the beauty of the Riviera Maya and the Yucatan. I'm sure that this has given you a taste to see more and with that after what seems to have been a very memorable vacation, I hope to see you back very soon at the Azul Fives Hotel

Azul Fives Hotel
gm@azulfiveshotel.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (981)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

I was here in the spring of 2012 with a girl friend. We needed some much needed sun and did we get it! The room was immaculate, the staff was wonderful, but my favorite were the restaurants and swim up bars. This is a small resort. Perfect for a quit, relaxing rest. the only down fall was if you wanted to swim in the ocean you had to walk down the beach about 10 minutes.

Room Tip: We had a ground level room. I think a second floor would be nicer so that you could have a view.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Many thanks for your review of your visit earlier this year, I agreed with each comment , the rooms are great , the staff are indeed wonderful and the hotel is in a perfect location , just on the outskirts of beautiful playa del carmen.

I hope to see you again soon , Mi casa es Tu casa!

New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

This resort is beautiful. The pools are well maintained and the beach is well kept. I had a large room in building 7 on the second floor and it was spectacular. The restaurants were terrific. My wife and I never had a bad meal. We booked our excursions with Lomas Travel located in the hotel lobby and never had a problem.
The two things that was not so great is room service because the few time we ordered it took them a little over an hour to deliver. By the time we received our food it was cold.
Next, at night the hotel permits vendors position them self's along the only pathway going to and from the restaurants to sell you things. Some of these vendors were rude and very aggressive. This is something that you would expect when you go into town but not inside your resort and especially and deliberately in your way so you cant avoid them.

Room Tip: try to stay closer to the beach because it's a shorter walk to the restaurants.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
KarismaHotelsResorts, General Manager at Azul Fives Hotel, by Karisma, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Dear Ositguy,

Thank you for your recent review, I truly appreciate your comments and I can assure you I have carefully considered each point mentioned.

I am very happy to read that you enjoyed the resort as a whole; finding our areas to be pristine and enjoying each unique dining experience. I apologize for the delays with the room service; I am currently taking action to improvement the lenght of time in which an order is delivered.

At Azul Fives we like to support the local community and an opportunity was given to a selected few to show their products in a market type ambience within our hotel however , unfortunately, after receiving such comments , this event has been temporarily canceled as we look for alternative stall holders. I hope that this unfortunate experience will not deter you from visiting us again in the future. It was a pleasure to be your hosts and on behalf of all the staff we look forward to your return.

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

We had a fabulous week at Azul Fives and would highly recommend this property. It's only 2.5 years old and it had a very W Hotel feeling throughout - modern, clean, fresh. Our 2 bedroom suite was huge and so relaxing. We loved coffee on our walk-out patio in the mornings and, because we were so close to the Lizards swim-up bar, evenings outdoors after a quick drink-run to our pal Emilio. The food was delicious - Sea Olive was our favorite, their beef tenderloin is amazing and something I would pay $50 at a restaurant for. Most of all, the service was over-the-top gracious. Everyone from our concierge to a lawncare person would say 'hola' and they seemed genuinely happy you were there as their guest.

Cons:
-- Housekeeping. We picked out a special scent to be used during turndown service when we checked in but they only stopped in 1 night out of 7. The carpet in the living room never seemed to be vacuumed and we never even saw a vacuum on their service cart. The dishwasher when we arrived was full of dirty dishes (meaning we had no glasses or utensils to use), the dishwasher was broke, and no one from engineering ever showed up to fix it.
-- Distance to the ocean. We were in building 9 which is the farthest from the ocean and all but 1 of the restaurants. I asked when I made our reservation in May for a closer building due to a disability, and I repeated the request to 3 people who called us the few weeks in advance to see if we had any special needs. Yet, upon checking in we found out that we couldn't have been any further from activity. They said that there were golfcarts on request to take us to the ocean/restaurants and we did have to use that service. However, we often had to wait up to 30 min for someone to come and they made it seem like this was a huge inconvenience to them.
-- Nightly entertainment. There weren't many shows (I don't count DJ night as a show) so unless you wanted to sit in a very loud disco lounge, Zky Bar, you were out of luck.

All this said, though, I would rush back to Azul Fives in a second. If you want a relaxing, all-inclusive, quality resort, this is your ticket.

Room Tip: Distance to the ocean/restaurants for buildings 8, 9, 10 is pretty far. Unless you're a big wal...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
As general Manager , I would like to thank you , on behalf of all the staff, for sharing your experiences of your recent stay at the Azul Fives.

Being a Gourmet Inclusive hotel , we believe that we are 2 steps ahead of the all inclusive concept. pushing the boundaries to provide a guests with sensational dining experience , bring their pallets alive with the fabulous food combinations. We are very happy that you appreciated these efforts.

I have carefully considered each of the cons listed and can assure you that action has been taken to ensure immediate improvements. I¿m truly very sorry that you requests were not fulfilled, unfortunately , on occasions it is not possible to comply with all our guets srequests however , when medical reasons or constraints are involved, we do everything possible to ensure we meet all requirements.

Lastly concerning our Nighttime shows, we are currently reviewing new options , also we have other future projects that will provide alternatives, other than the Zky bar, during the evening hours.

again, It was a pleasure to host your holiday and I look forward to meeting you on your next visit. Please do not hesitate to contact me prior to your arrival.

Morgantown, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

First impressions: lovely modern decorating, exceptionally helpful and descriptive front desk personnel. The room was massive and beautiful! Pool staff and bartenders were funny and charismatic, and they made the experience so much better! We went to every single restaurant and each one had excellent service to go along with their excellent food. Spa was incredible. Cons: our room had 2 mechanical issues. The TV in the bedroom kept inexplicably losing power and shutting off every few minutes. Also, at night the air conditioner rattled very loudly prompting us to shut it off at night. The beach at the resort is rocky, so if you want to swim in sandy waters, you have to take a short walk up the beach.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Bryan

welcome to the trip advisor community and we are very priveledged that your first contribution is about your experiences at the Azul Fives Hotel.

Your comments have been passed on to our staff and it is great to know that our staff elevated your holiday experience. In addition to the wonderful dining experience and Spa treatments.

i'm sorry to learn that you encountered a couple of quality issues with your room , unfortunately I can not identify your booking or room from this review or your information; Please feel free to contact me with further details so we can ensure a full revision of the room is completed.

Bryan , I am glad to hear that you has an amazing vacation , despite the issues mentioned and I look forward to seeing you at the Azul Fives Hotel in the near future.

Falls Church, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

My wife and I chose the location for our destination wedding after weeks of research and recommendations from our travel agent. We were planning a "site visit" before the wedding, but then we were convinced otherwise. I will go ahead and say that there is no need for a visit. The property was amazing, rooms were modern with great amenities, the food was great, but the best part was truly the staff. Regardless of the time of day, we were always greeted by the staff when they passed/walked by. They were very attentive to our every need. Our wedding coordinator, Arturo was simply amazing. He knew exactly what we had envisioned for our reception on the beach and it was perfect. We simply cannot wait to go back for our anniversary!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear Victor

It was an honor to be host of your special day; to be entrusted with such an important occasion in your lives was a true privilege and we wish you a lifetime of happiness together. I have passed your comments to Arturo , who was overwhelmed by your kind words.

we look forward to celebrating your 1 year anniverary with you at the Azul Fives Hotel.
Congratulations once again

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012 via mobile

The hotel and grounds were beautiful. The restaurants were very good. The chocolate massage was AWSOME! The entire staff was super friendly and polite, especially, the concierge for building 9 and our sweet waitress at Lizards. Thank you for making our stay our stay soooo wonderful!

Stayed November 2012

Been to Azul Fives Hotel, by Karisma? Share your experiences!