We chose Azul Fives because it looked personal, smaller, and so pretty and we weren't wrong. The promise of good food (really good food, not just lots of it) and beautiful beach/pool was exactly as offered.
We stayed last Jan/Feb for a week for our first time down south. Everyone was welcoming and professional and very helpful - good advice from everyone about visiting Playa del Carmen, or what Mayan sites to visit, or even background about life around us. We loved the food at the Sea Olive especially, but had wonderful dinners with our teens at Arezzo as well. Flavours was a wonderful & interesting spot for breakfast - lots of choice and help learning about new foods. We loved breakfast with 'jugo verde' and monkeys peering at us through the windows.
The pools were gorgeous - the long, winding pool outside our room beckoned at all hours, so we could run out and dip in anytime. Some of the evening activities were cheesy and we didn't stay for them every night but it was nice to have the option. My kids were 13 & 16 and wished for some options that suited them more than the young children's activities, but soccer on the beach was great fun for my son. Some movies played were appealing and the kids would hang out there for a bit. They never felt quite content to do things on their own.
Our room was a 2 br-suite - stunning! larger than needed (we didn't need the dining room table etc) but very important to have separate rooms, and separate beds for the kids even if it was just the 4 of us. Too many hotels & suites don't seem to understand that. Only draw back was that for a large suite, we only had 2 chairs on our balcony and a couple of requests for 2 more didn't result in a response. Another request to adjust a confusing ceiling fan was fast & satisfactory.
We ignored advice by touristy friends to just stay on our resort and boy we were glad! As nice as it is to sit on a beach and relax, I get antsy to do stuff and it wasn't really a quiet beach. We took some excursions to Ek Balam (with rappelling into the cenote!! AMAZING!!!) Worth the drive. Also we went to Coba and climbed to the top for the most satisfying accomplishment ever! (Safety regulators in Canada would have heart failure, but this was worth every ounce of fear!) I let my kids climb too and would do it again. Beautiful spots for learning and history lessons that make up for a week away from school. The town of Playa del Carmen was lovely and we felt very comfortable walking around and popping into shops (off-resort food is fine! No worries at all!)
The resort was a wonderful rest between such active trips and the food really was delightful. The architecture is different and lovely, and all the spaces are luxurious. I'd love to come again if the world wasn't such a grand place to explore. Maybe some day we'll come, and we'd be perfectly happy to stay here again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located just 10 minutes from charming Playa del Carmen, Azul Fives Hotel is noted for enormous suites designed for families and friends with up to three bedrooms with rooftop decks. Activities and special experiences foster togetherness for families, couples and groups of friends. The 360-suite hotel offers the renowned Gourmet Inclusive® concept, as well as flexible meal plan options to suit all agendas. Private barbecues highlight family activities, and the Kid’s Club sponsored by Fisher-Price® caters to children. Rooftop Weddings inspire soon-to-be-married couples. The 24-hour room service and full-service concierge ensure memorable vacations. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, BookIt.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Priceline, TripOnline SA, HotelTravel.com and Jetsetter so you can book your Azul Fives Hotel, by Karisma reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Azul Fives By Karisma Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Azul Fives Hotel, By Karisma Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico