“Exceptional holiday at the Azul Fives” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Azul Fives Hotel, by Karisma

You added Azul Fives Hotel, by Karisma to your Saves list
Azul Fives Hotel, by Karisma
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   Predio El Limonar Fraccion 2 | Xcalacoco, Municipio de Solidaridad, Playa del Carmen, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save Up to 30%
Ranked #32 of 200 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
London, UK
“Exceptional holiday at the Azul Fives”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

My background:- I am a regular user of tripadvisor and have contirbuted since 2007, i like to know what i am getting and want and have a vision for the way I expect things. I travel 5 star and have stayed at some fabulous hotels around the world, including raffles and the recent newly opened chain of "W".

I read the reviews of this hotel and was a bit concerned as me, my wife and 2 year old daughter were going to stay for 2 weeks, as we travelled from the UK.

5 star can mean many things to different people and hotel like to call themselves 5 star for different reason to other hotels, therefore it would be unfair for me to compare this type of beach resort hotel to a W or raffles hotel which are fantastic also.

I can alay your fears right now about all the negative comments:- Ill try to list them in title fashion and would be more than happy to take messages and respond.

Wifi:- I paid for this and was not asked to write on tripadvisor by the hotel. The speed of the wifi was adequate to download movies from itunes and check your emails at a resonable speed. considering this is not a business hotel and the time to download a 5mb file took about 25-30 secs i think is not bad. I measured the speed and got about 10mbps down and anout 12mbps upwards. ( i work in technology and have an app that can do this)

Rooms: Clean, new, and filled with the amenities to make your stay confortable. Soaps, gel, bubble bath in the 1 bed suite and coffee making facilties, if you didnt want to call room service. There is also an Ipod docking station, flat screen TV and decent air conditioning.
I also read that there were no "DO NOT DISTURB" signs. I think you will find them in the drawers and they simply slot into the card entry system on the outside, quite neat and, in the event you did not do this, the guys always knocked and gave ample of time to answer.

Service: Every waiter, manager and staff go out of their way to help you. I started writing down the peoples names that made our stay really nice and i ended up with 35+ names! They are super courteous and at no point did i feel obliged to tip for a good service. I did at the half way point of our stay , start to tip people as i felt i wanted to , as opposed to have to.
Please note: that i dont expect any person, whatever their rank in any place or industry to take any insult and therefore if you are rude to any of them and they are rude back then good on them. Although i dont even think they would respond as they are genuinely kind hearted people working at the hotel.

In fact I was walking back to my room with a DVD a guest had lent me to watch after our daughter fell asleep and one of the staff asked if id like some popcorn with the movie. It just shows you that they are there to ensure your stay is the best that it can be.

Some of the staff that you happen to get for a 3rd time, will even know what drinks you want and confirm you would like it.

Food: Food was plentiful and i am a big eater and i never ever felt like i was short changed on any dish but then again how could i be, i could have always asked for more.
All the restaurants in the morning afternoon and dinner served and delivered the style they were designed to serve. All had a good variation.
Mornings: you had the buffet with egg station and an al la carte menu too.
Afternoona : Sea olive, pool areas and the beach grill all did good fare.
Evenings: All restaurants delivered good food, and I simply let our waiter know that id like spicy food, so they were able to adapt this, especially in Tsuki which i heard people on here were not happy about.
If you are not happy about any element of your stay, raise it with someone and i am sure they will go out of their way to make the changes. If you sit in silence then no one can read minds, again its unfair to post negatives things here if you actually communicate your issues and allow a change to take place.
All dishes were served consistantly in a great presentation.

Villas are located all over the resort and to be honest after you have found your way around , it really doesnt matter what villa you are in, and if you really cant be bothered to take a casual 7min stroll , or cant due to disability, then simply order a cart to your room and they will pick you.

Beach: The sand is relatively sharp object free just after you step down. Just as the beach slopes you get shell and some slighlty sharper objects. The seabed is rocky and i think watershoes are always recommended on most beaches to avoid sea urchins etc. I did find a small way through form the beach to the sea in a straight line outside of the hotel where i could work without any rocks getting in the way. I am not sure if the hotel could move the rocks, but if they could then it would be even better. But 5 mins walk to the left you have a great rock free area too.

Drinks: plentiful and good top brands all served direct to you around the pool and beach areas and a very good frequency.

Nightly entertainment is a little cheesy, but it was something to watch and enjoy a drink and socialise.

Health bar is really cool and Rodrigo makes awesome concotions to die for. You have to try it, before breakfast or after breakfast and it sets you up for the day.

If I had to critique anything, I guess its the lack of anywhere to have a drink after 6pm and the lack of enough baby changing facilties, at least in the mens toilets.

I know some of you had mentioned that there was no lift to the italian restaurant or SKY bar. Well the hotel has just started some work to get that installed.

The holiday is what you make it and yes you may want service at your beck and call, a luxuruy you may already enjoy at home. I can say that with a little patience you will get what you need and if you dont, then simply let one of the managers no that you like certain things in a certain way.

i think thats about all for now. Im still jet lagged, so if i have missed anything off, please email me or i will re-chek this comment at the weekend and add more if necessary.

Room Tip: 1 bed suite will not be regretted. All villas are walkable around the whole resort.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (984)
Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

ROOMS- These condos are amazing and very modern. We stayed in a two bedroom in bldg 8 and it was perfect as there was a shallow part of the pool right outside our room where our 2 yr old could play and we were right across from the swim up bar and Lizards restaurant. We tiped the maid everyday and he did a very nice job of not only cleaning but also organizing our room.

FOOD-Breakfast and lunch were always delicious. Dinner on the other hand and desserts were not all that great. B/c we traveled in the off season Falvours and Oriela were closed at night and actually the resort lied to us about it, we got the real information from a travel agent we met while there. Flavours is closed until sometime in Nov and Oriela is only open at night on the weekends unless an event is there and this place had 4 weddings in the 8 days I was there so it was always closed. That being said our choices for dinner were room service, Chineese, Mediterainean or Italian. We did not care for the Chineese or Italian. Deserts were limited also. The difference about this resort tho is that all the food has a great presentation and you never feel as if you are at an all inclusive place. Dinner also took about 2.5 hours from start to finish which did not go well with my two yr old at all. They need a buffett at night so people with small children can get in and out.

DRINKS- I think they water down their liquor b/c for the amnt I drank I rarely ever felt a buzz. I started asking for an additional shot of the expensive brands on top of what they already poured. Emilio in the swim up bar by lizards is AMAZING. On rainy days he brought us drinks to our room and after awhile we didn't even need order them he would just recognize when our drinks were empty. A Problem was that the only place to drink after 6 is at the main pool area upstairs and at night they play music so loud you can't even think let alone hold a coversation. there needs to be a more quiet place near the rooms outside for adults to go. The main area is about a 10 min walk from the condos depending on the condo you are in.

STAFF- This was one of most FRIENDLY places I have ever been. They only make about 7-9 US dollars a day so we tipped everyone. The staff are some of the hardest workers I have ever met and make next to nothing and they are more than happy to serve you. I recommend tipping- it literally makes their day and they are so appreciattive.

ENTERTAINMENT- They hire dancers and each night is different. They can dance very well and it is a good show.

POOLS- Infinity pool is beautiful. they advertise a "lazy" river but its 2 winding pools that do not connect. they also do not provide rafts and the gift shop sells them for $20 and its a BASIC raft- bring your own I highly recommend it.

BEACH- this beach is nice, bring shoes or walk about 110 min and you will be fine.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

I just returned from my vacation at Azul Five and wanted to let everyone know that it was great. However, the vacation was not without problems. The room we were assigned had a water leak and we had to be moved to another room. Not sure how this would have been handled if the place was full, but they moved us and we were onto one of the best vacations ever.

I am not sure what to say, but the room was great. The only thing I saw as a negative was the bath room sinks could have had more light. For some reason there just wasn't a lot of light. The pool was so nice and relaxing, the food was some of the best ever. I was a little worried because you never know when you go to an all inclusive - but the food was fab.

The only other item that I think you need to know if you are going to Azul Fives is that none of their rooms have ocean views. All the buildings set back off the ocean so you had a little walk each night. However, after having four or five desserts each night, the walk was needed.

Last and most importantly the service was great. Everyone was so professional and really wanted you to have the best time in your live.

Room Tip: building 5 is closes to the beach.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

Having a destination wedding and planning from afar can be a bit stressful for a bride to be. At first I was scared to have not visited the resort and have to rely on the coordinators based out of Miami to help us plan. However, once my husband and our 70 guests arrived to the small & updated resort we both realized we were in GREAT hands. Arturo, the head coordinator met with us and walked us through every detail of our big day. We also met with Daphine, she is in charge of the Karisma resorts. They both listened to every detail I had planned and had hoped for and made our experience one of the best parties ever. They honestly catered to every one of our needs, made our guests feel like they were unique and had a smile on their face everyday. We have stayed at several 4 & 5 star resorts in Playa Del Carmen and this is one of the best.

The resort is a small, updated, kid friendly boutique resort. When I say kid friendly, there are not kids just running around. They have an actual kid resort on site with a private pool, trampolines, jumping ball area and activities planned. Also, in the restaurants they have kid toys for them to play with. We had 2 children attend our wedding, so the kid friendly part was a must.

The rooms are amazing, we had guests stay in deluxe rooms, 2 bedroom suite and 3 bedroom penthouses. All of them were happy that they were clean and nice. You can order room service 24 hours a day and you can have adult beverages delivered to the room as well. If you book a 2 or 3 bedroom penthouse, the rooms had separate entrances with doors. If you want privacy, just go into your room across the hall and close the door. Some of our guests would have booked together if they knew this when they were booking.

The Spa is 5 star, treating you like a queen or king. The workout room was pretty much empty all week, the equipment is new and had everything you needed for a great workout.

The Beach was great, there was a small spot right in front of the resort that you could just walk in, however if you wanted an actually swimming area you could walk 1 min right or left and have an area all to yourself. Volleyball is right on the beach and at the pool and Adam, the head activities person is wonderful getting people up and active. My husband played the entire time, while I relaxed at the beach or pool enjoying the beautiful view.

The weather was the only thing we had to worry about, we decided to book a wedding during hurricane season. It did rain on and off the first few days, but regardless if it rains or shines they will have an activity going on for you. The nightly shows were pretty entertaining, we didn't know what to expect when we went the circus night. We were honestly shocked when the talent was professional and by the end of the trip, our guests were actually excited to see the fire show by the beach.

We also had a private dinner on the beach and was well worth it. The food was spectacular, the view was amazing and it was very nice to have a moment alone.

Tips were not recommended but appreciated, we did leave a few dollars for the cleaning service, bar staff and waitstaff. They really took care of everyone regardless, so keep that in mind.

If you are looking for a great and affordable all-inclusive resort or even to book a destination wedding, this is your place!

-Mike & Anita Brown

Room Tip: The deluxe rooms are perfect for those wanting to be out of the room.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Santa Clara, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

A great experience. Found a great deal on Expedia and booked the three bedroom penthouse suite (European plan - no meals included). We were celebrating our 25th anniversary with our children and family members. We had reservations for 4 nights and stayed over by three more days. The suite was very spacious, well decorated and clean. Nice breeze. We are vegetarians and all the restaurants either had a good selection and/or the chef made special meals for us. Friendly staff and service was excellent. If relaxing is on your agenda, this is the perfect place.
Left the resort twice (once to Chichen Itza and next to go into the town). The small beach area was clean. Always enough beach/lounge chairs..

On the last day, the manager called us and said to come over for dinner near the Tsuki restaurant (closest to the beach). To our surprise, a special table was set up on the beach with candle lights. My family and I enjoyed the special dinner/dessert prepared by the chef. The most memorable hours talking, laughing and enjoying the meal. At any resort, you would pay a fortune to get this kind of experience, but we consider ourselves lucky to get this experience on the house. The entire dinner was complimentary of the hotel.

If relaxation is the priority, this is the perfect place!

Room Tip: Stayed at C0813!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
paisley
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

To begin with we had problems with Thompson before we even began our journey so that did not start the holiday in a positive light and may have had something to do with how we found our room on arrival. We paid over £4,000 pounds for my husband and I as it was a special birthday. On arrival our room was not ready even though it was late PM. Once in our room it was grubby and smelt of urine and we had to get in contact with the reception which were extremly long in sorting it out. We both were very tired and really could not be bothered complaining to the extent we should have because we had a really bad experience with out travel company before setting off and felt really deflated!!! The room was ok but would not say anything like a 5 star,,,stayed in similiar 3 star accomodation. The pools were lovely and grounds were beautiful and the staff worked so hard to keep it that way. My husband's foot went down a drain at the pool area,(on our first full day) which was then revealed as a paint lid turned upside down he was attended to by again a wonderful barman and a first aider, as he badly hurt and cut shin, Thereafter we heard nothing from the manager even to check he was ok The swim up bars were wonderful and staff were so helpful and welcoming particulary Carlos who went that extra mile to make sure our holiday was great. The eating places were good and food was great too the only thing was we had to wait couple of hours every night to get a table as there was not enough seating to accomodate the numbers. The waiters were run off their feet particularly in the one below the sky bar,( in the evening) service was really bad here and some of the waiters were very embarrassed as they had to keep you waiting. There was no bar to go and sit at while waiting for a table or even a pre-drink only the Sky bar where the focus was on children's entertainment. We met fabulous people who made our holiday and again Carlos made this special to. We decided to move to an adult only hotel, El Dorada which was like paridise. To sum up this holiday as always we made the most of it, the people we met, barman at the swim up bars and our conceirge were lovely and made our holiday better than what it would have been without them. However the management team, and the Thompson Rep at the hotel delivered extremly poor service. The rep offered us a welcome pack with 6 days left of our holiday and an organised meeting with her ( which she requested) she did not bother to even turn up!!!!!) This is someone representing British holiday makers...JOKE! The staff at reception were helpful and welcoming. So sorry for it sounding so negative , we are certainly not like this normally. Thank you so much to Carlos the barman and the Oklahoma girls for making it worthwile (spending over 4 grand) for 2!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Sykesville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

It Was a great experience! My family and I went to Azul fives on a timeshare trade. The food was fantastic! The service was great!

This was our first time at an all inclusive resort. We were pleasantly surprised at the gourmet foods. We had two dinners a night because we could !

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Azul Fives Hotel, by Karisma? Share your experiences!