“Fabulous Vacation! I can't wait to go back!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Azul Fives Hotel, by Karisma

You added Azul Fives Hotel, by Karisma to your Saves list
Azul Fives Hotel, by Karisma
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   Predio El Limonar Fraccion 2 | Xcalacoco, Municipio de Solidaridad, Playa del Carmen, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
20% off room rate
Ranked #42 of 201 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Toronto, Canada
“Fabulous Vacation! I can't wait to go back!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

I traveled to Azul Fives for a week over March Break this year (2012) with my daughter. We had such an amazing time - I will definitely return!!

We had a penthouse suite, which had a full kitchen, living room, 2 jacuzzi's (one inside and 1 on the roof top patio), a very spacious king sized bed, and 2 bathrooms.

Azul Fives is a boutique style hotel, so they pay attention to detail. The restaurants are amazing (my favourite was Arezzo, the Italian Restaurant) and are equivalent to fine-dining in Canada. Also, take advantage of the room service which is included in your gourmet all-inclusive package! They make a great cappuccino.

My daughter travels to the Mayan Riviera all the time with work, and without a doubt, The Vassa Spa is the best! The services are not included in your all-inclusive package, but it is worth the money. It is such a beautiful spa with well-trained staff.

The resort was at full capacity when we were there, and you would have never known. There were never any lines ups, they have more chairs than people at the beach (genius) so you don't have to wake up at the crack of dawn just to get a spot on the beach. And the beach itself is breathtaking and amazing for walks (in either direction).

In short, I would highly recommend Azul Fives for a vacation with family, for couples, or a girls/guys week away! The staff is friendly and helpful, the grounds are beautiful, the food is outstanding, and the rooms are spacious.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (812)
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

My wife and I as well as our children - ages 9 and 11 stayed at Azul Fives in a ground floor three bedroom unit (Building 7). We were very pleased with the service and the abundance of smiles and friendliness of the staff. As noted from other reviews - ALL of the units are about 200 - 300 yards from the beach and core restaurants, but well worth the short walk. We have traveled quite a bit over the years and stay mostly at Marriott properties. This was equal to or better than the accomodations at Marriott timeshares. I have to emphasize how friendly the staff (all of the waiters/bar staff as well as the grounds crew and pool maintenance) were. Everyone was just glad to have you there as a guest. We spent a great deal of time at the Oceanfront Pool area and the beach. Mark (one of the Scuba Dive instructors) was excellent with our kids in their introduction to Scuba lesson!! The beach area is great - the only negatives are that when you go to swim, the bottom of the ocean floor is very rocky/coral - you do need swim shoes or flippers if you are snorkeling. My wife and I noticed a few sea urchins while we were snorkeling. The other is that it would be nice to have a small washer/dryer in the room to wash swim suits, etc. Other than that, the property was great, we were very happy with our visit!

Room Tip: Ground Floor Units at Building 4, 5, 6 or 7. The Ground floor units open up to the pools in front o...
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

We recently stayed at Azul Fives during spring break. The resort had been recommended to us by our travel agent because of its nice rooms, amenities and upscale dining. It is smaller than other nearby resorts and has a smaller nightlife scene. If you're looking for a bit of quieter experience you will enjoy it.

My only complaint was that we had a very poor meal on our first night. I pointed this out to the hotel manager, he apologized and explained what had happened. For the next 5 days, the staff bent over backwards to ensure we had a quality experience. The food at every other meal was exceptional. The service we received was outstanding. Room service, housekeeping, hotel maintenance were all top notch. Cocktail service on the beach could be a bit slow sometimes, but drinks were always great.

Thank you Walter, Oscar and my poolside bartender Emilio for a great time!

Room Tip: We had a two bedroom suite for our family of 6. It was luxurious and comfortable. Because we were...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

We were slightly nervous about staying here after reading some of the reviews but after spending a week (April 29-May 4) there I cannot understand how anyone would have a single negative thing to say about this place. It is a beautiful resort with fantastic staff, great pools/grounds and accomodations. The food was pretty good, not any better or worse than any other resort - they do the best they can with what they have but it will always be slightly different than what you'd be used to at home. Checkin was a breeze and the kids (11 month old and 4 year old) were greeted with toys and chocolate milk. After getting a room on the first floor of building 6 we asked to be moved to the second floor so we could leave the sliding glass door open at night for fresh air. This request was met immediately and without issue and the staff helped us move our things. They have full sized cribs for infants and 3 wheeled jogging strollers available for use if you don't want to lug one all the way to Mexico. There is also baby food available at Flavors buffet.

The entrance from the highway is not owned by the resport and winds through a town, there are no 'burned out buildings' as one review said, rather concrete buildings under construction, it is not beautiful but it is not scary either - it's Mexico and this is where/how people live. There are a couple of convienience stores and a few gated communities as well as a few rural properties along the way. The security at the resport itself is fine, we did not feel unsafe at any point and had no issues. There are guards and bell boys at the front all the time and there is security keeping an eye on things throughout the resport.

The pools are fantastic with plenty of chairs and umbrellas. We never had an issue getting a chair in any location and the chairs are actually comfortable wicker with ample padding, not the blue saggy ones we've seen at other places. They have a couple of beach beds around the infinity pool and quite a few down at the beach. The beach is nice however the rocks in the water make it more difficult though not impossible to swim if you go out a few feet. We were told while there that the resort is paying to remove the rocks in the water though I'm not sure when that will happen.

This resort is not the typical all inclusive, it is quieter and smaller and for us that made it even more appealing. There are still shows at night and entertainment staff around the infinity pool if that's what you're looking for. The staff will organize pretty much any activity and the hut at the pool is stocked with sand toys, balls, darts, magazines, sunscreen, cold bottled water and as many towels as you need (no towel card or deposit required). Towels are also available around the other pools and one towel is rolled up on to each chair in the morning so you don't have to go down to the infinity pool.

We only ate at one of the restaurants - Sea Olive as the buffet was just easier with kids but it was good and there was no wait or reservation required. The buffet is not huge but has ample food, they have a brick oven and if you can't find anything else you like, you can always get a pizza made. There is no coffee bar but Lizards pool bar makes pretty good frappachinos and other iced coffees.

Please don't write this resort off, everyone has different experiences and a bad one can taint your whole perspecitve but this really is a great place, especially for families.

Room Tip: Buildings 3, 4, 5, 6 are close to zero entry pool and great for kids. Ask for pool view.
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2012

I was worried about this place after I'd read several of the bad reviews, but after going there myself, I'd have to say they are crazy! The only reason I didn't put a 5 star is because the rooms are not on the beach (a very short walk away), and there is quite a bit of dead coral when walking into the ocean (go a little to the left).

The food was very good! Flavors breakfast buffet was especially yummy! And the waiters there are all so sweet. The people who work at the resort are all amazing. Marco from the front desk even lent me his blackberry charger so that I could charge my kindle, no questions asked!

The beds are so comfortable! Awesome pillows. We were on the third floor in Villa 8, and we loved it. It wasn't busy at all, so we got chairs right by the ocean every day. The people working there are more than happy to move a parasol closer to the ocean for you. The service is great! Not really a great night life (bar closes at 1am), but a great place to kick back and relax. Ou, and the aqua fitness offers a surprisingly great work out, and is so fun!

All this to say, forget the bad reviews. The people writing them seem to think people who work at resorts are slaves as opposed to hard working, friendly people.

Fredericton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2012

I would like to start off by saying DO NOT LISTEN to all these negative reviews that you may read on this site.

CHECK IN - Very smooth check in although i was at the hotel a little before check in time so i had to wait for 45 minutes for our room. Not a problem I was hungry so my wife and i went for lunch.

ROOMS - Beautiful rooms. Lots of storage space. Bring your IPod as the alarm has an iPod dock. we were in villa 4 room 411-2. This was overlooking the shallow pool where the meandering pool starts.

CONS The lighting over the bathroom vanity was poor at best.

POOLS - Awesome make sure you meander through the pools as there are some nice somewhat private areas to catch some rays

BARS - Here is where it gets funny. The infinity pool bar is always happening but the other three pool bars are happening as well just maybe not all at the same time. You really need to check them out at different times of the day to see what is happening. The alcohol is by far the best i have ever seen offered in a resort. Great brands like Grey Goose, Don Julio(all 3 types)Captain Morgan, Bacardis etc.

Cons - As was said in previous reviews the night life is definitely lacking. They have a beautiful lounge called the zky bar but did not seem to have a lot of patrons in it after 11:00. Solution is to get up early and party in the sun.

RESTAURANTS - OK folks, first thing is this ... you are not in Canada or the USA so do not judge the foods against our standards.

FLAVORS ate there every breakfast. A small selection of food but had everything a person would eat for breakfast. Service Was awesome every day I was there. Oh yeah for all you canadians they had a make your own ceasar drink section which my wife and i took full advantage.

HEALTH BAR - Don't miss out on this as these guys have the solution for all your morning thirst needs . We drank one everyday after breakfast (worked well after the caesars)

PALMAS & LIZARDS- ate there on occasion great snack foods

SEA OLIVE - Ate lunch there and though the food was great nice sit down a la cart lunch spot. Never ate supper there. Too many other great places

BEACH GRILL - Great breakfast Lunch and suppers. Go there for supper and try the steak. I had the tenderloin and it was as close to my own cooking as could be.

ITALIAN RESTAURANT - Nice Spot. Fancier than all the other restaurants, the service was right on. The food was great and the ambiance was perfect. Don't miss this one as the views over the pool is great.

Now for our favourite place....
TSUKI- Awesome place. We love to eat sushi and the sushi here was the best i have ever had in the caribbean. This place fills up fast but just put your name on the list and go to the ZKY lounge and the hostess will come and get you when its time.

Thats it folks but let me leave you with a few words of advice

1. This is a great spot. It is not perfect but the staff try their hardest to accommodate anything you need. Have patience with them and do not sweat the small stuff. YOU ARE ON VACATION SO RELAX.

2 This is not a place for night time partiers. remember that before you book.

3. If you like to tip than do not forget to tip the hostess from time time to time as they it can really work to your advantage sometimes.

On this trip due to all the bad reviews my wife and i really looked hard to find faults in this resort. We had a hard time coming up with any although we did hear of a few from other guests. All in all a great place. Cheers to all the staff that made this an enjoyable and memorable trip for my wife and I. Shout out to Sergio, Ramon, Angel, Elizabeth, Oscar and Gino!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Winnipeg, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2012

We stayed here the week of April 14-21, 2012. There were 10 of us ( one child). I do not understand how people have complaints. We were greeted with very friendly and polite check in staff. Never once did we walk by or make eye contact with an Azul employee that did not either smile or greet us. This resort is small but not cramped. The atmosphere is great here and cleanliness is maintaned wonderfully. We opted for the one bedroom suite and were very happy with this choice, if you have a choice ask to have ground floor facing the pool. The food at the resort is phenominal, we really liked Sea Olive (Italian) and Tsuki (Japanese). One of our friends complimented the Osso Bucco tasted just like his moms :). Flavors, the buffet (which I was skeptical about because I generally stay away from these types of food joints) was very fresh and had excellent breakfast! It is nice that room service is offered 24 hours with a good variety in the selection. We did not watch much of the entertainment but our friends did and they had a blast at the fire show! The beach was nice, a bit rocky and hard to walk in but we found a great spot about 4 min walk left of the resort ( there was a big log on the beach at this spot). It was perfectly sandy and we swam here.

I must tell everyone to see Rodrigo, he is the most amazing smoothy maker and we saw him many times during our stay, and when we were leaving we just couldnt go without going to say goodbye ! He is so polite and easy to talk to, sometimes we just sat and spoke with him while drinking our smoothies. He will whip up some very silky and flavorful smoothies for you ....make sure you ask him for "The Deana" ( a tropical tasting one)

All in all this resort was fantastic. Clean, polite and friendly staff, great food, relaxing. What more can you ask for? We were first hesitant as it is a "family" resort and we do not have kids but there were no issues. I would recommend this resort to anyone looking for a relaxing and enjoyable vacation. The sole reason I rated sleep quality as "average" and not "excellant" is because I am spoiled by my own mattress. Locations was rated as "very good" and not "excellent" because of the rocks in the water, but take our advice and walk to the left about 4 min and you wil lhave no problem.

We are looking forward to coming back in the future ")

Room Tip: Ground floor, suite, facing the pool. Best view and access to pool.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Azul Fives Hotel, by Karisma? Share your experiences!