“Azule five ,,” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Azul Fives Hotel, by Karisma

You added Azul Fives Hotel, by Karisma to your Saves list
Azul Fives Hotel, by Karisma
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   Predio El Limonar Fraccion 2 | Xcalacoco, Municipio de Solidaridad, Playa del Carmen, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save Up to 30%
Ranked #31 of 200 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Moncton, Canada
“Azule five ,,”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012

WE JUST ARRIVE april 28 ...this is a verry nice resort,,,verry clean,,nice rooms,but we had to sleep apart ,,beds to small,,to bad they don,t offer only 1 bigger bed instead of 2 double for couples..whith the same rooms,,,,, lots of chair at the beach,,,,,food,well....verry small buffet..,a la carte is ok but not wow, the beach ; well the sand is super,but the water is terrible,,can,t go in it,,to dangerous,to much rocks. but if you walk on your left for 5to10minutesyou,ll see a place to go ,,its nicer there . i got sick ,both ways;;;if you know wat i mean,,i dont know what food cause me that..but well it happen i guest..If you whant to have FUN,,,this is not a resort for you...no annimation day time,,,verry VERRY QUIET PLACE ,,,more boaring,,but ideal for family,s with small kids... HO ,and the healthy bar is wow,,good drinks to choose from, i recommand this place to verry quiet peaple and the staff is frandly but don,t understand you to well,,,

Room Tip: i think it,s ok everywhere,
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (978)
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012

I should preface this review by admitting that my wife and I were invited to the Fives for a "Try Before You Buy" promotion they were having (and maybe are still having?!). Essentially, besides renting out the suites on a week to week basis, they are also looking to sell them as condos as well, which is what they were hoping we would do, so they flew us down for 4 days (2 days of travel, 2 days of paradise), flight and everything all paid for by them, seriously! I wanted to mention this up front because I don't know if our experience was so good because they were hoping to get a heck of a lot of money from us, or if it is just a really awesome resort. So, here's what we experienced during our brief stay:

We were told someone would be waiting for us at the airport upon our arrival, and sure enough when we flew into Cancun late Friday night there was a guy who spoke little English there waiting for us to bring only us back to the resort. All was well until we turned off the highway down a relatively dumpy old back road which we thought was weird considering we were going to a 4-5 star resort! When we arrived, we were still a little on edge and were a little doubtful about the place, as the front entrance that we arrived to was no at all as large or fancy as we had expected either. However, that was where the disappointment ended. The resort itself is quite small, and our previous experience in Mexico was at Bahia Principe which is humungous, so our expectations were based on that.

We were golf carted to our room by a bell boy and escorted by Enrique, who was to be our personal escort for the whole weekend. By this time it was nearly midnight, and we were starving and exhausted. We entered our suite to find a huge spread of food awaiting us, along with a fresh bottle of icy cold champagne and a fully stocked bar (all of which was included). Whatever first impression we had received was now wiped clear by this fantastic welcome! We ate, we drank, and we explored the beautiful suite we were given. On a design note, I loved the modern look and feel to the suites. Everything was very tastefully furnished. The only criticism my wife had was that it was quite dim over the bathroom mirror.

Saturday morning, Enrique was there to escort us to breakfast where we were to meet with our host, Josh, who afterwards showed us one of the more expensive condos (3 bedroom with the rooftop patio for ~700K!), and then gave us a short spiel on the financing of such a condo. When I admitted that was most likely out of our price range, we agreed to meet again the following morning to look at one of the more modest ones. All in all, it was probably about an hour of our day, not at all like the nightmare timeshare pitches we were warned we would probably get. After all, you get what you pay for, don't you? Not in this case, I assure you. On the agenda for the afternoon was to be a 3 hour lavishing treatment at the spa, including the steam room, sauna, hot tub, cold tub, facial and couples massage... it was heavenly!!! I think I liked the peppermint scented steam room the best though :) Aside note... don't forget to wear a bathing suit in the steam room/sauna/hot/cold tub room! I wasn't sure what was protocol, went naked, felt awkward when another guy came in with a suit on, and then saw the sign afterwards that said to wear one! Had a good laugh about that one, heh heh....

Evening entertainment was top notch, evening for such a small resort. That night was some amazing fire dancers. We also checked out the dance bar and were initially shocked that it was essentially empty, but then remembered that it is a small resort, and a family resort at that, and that anyone that wanted to party would probably go to Playa which was basically within walking distance. The following evening was a Michael Jackson dance troupe, which we thoroughly enjoyed even though neither of us really like his music particularly! Both nights we arrived back to our suite to a bath already drawn for us to just the right temperature believe it or not, filled with bubbles and rose petals! Ooooh how romantic! :)

The next day Josh showed us a 1 bedroom condo without the rooftop patio for ~325K, gave us the financial pitch again, and then we were off to enjoy the rest of the day again, lounging, drinking, swimming, playing tennis, reading, etc, etc. All in all it was a great little weekend getaway, and we would definitely recommend this place to anyone!

The next day Jos

Room Tip: Get a pool view :)
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Easton, Pa.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012

A friend of mine bought a villa at this resort and invited me to visit four a week. Upon arriving, I was immediately struck by the beauty of this property. The architecture of the buildings, its cleanliness, and its location (about twenty minutes from the airport).

Although you can visit this property as an all inclusive, because I was staying with my friend I was given a card with my picture on it and told to use the card when purchasing anything on property. I was then whisked off to my room on a golf course.

The rooms were gigantic! Full kitchen, dining room, living room, king sized bed, jacuzzi tub and two bathrooms. Some rooms overlooked the jungle (mine) and others the pool which ran through the resort like a lazy river without the current. Each morning, a family of monkeys would travel by my balconies through the trees providong great photo ops.

The property has a number of pools. Our favorite was st the beach club right on the water. I think all of the pools have swim up bar options. There is a kids club, hammocks throughout the property, and an area with legalized chess and checker pieces. We also took advantage of the morning yoga and stretching activities.

The restaurant options seemed endless! Breakfast was a huge buffet with bloody mary and champagne options. All for about fifteen dollars per person. There was apoolside restaurant, italian restaurant, japanese restaurant, and continental restaurant. All were reasonably priced and very good.

I strongly reccomend this property. Check into the different options for staying there. Although, allinclusive is an option, depending on your eating and drinking habits, paying as you go might be better for you because food and drink is so inexpensive here.

• Stayed April 2012
NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012

We just got back from our one week vacation at Azul Fives and we had an awesome time. This is a resort primarily for families with young children and most reviews reflect that. I find it astonishing how people come on here and complain that there are too many kids around and how they knit pick about the slightest of things. Small lobby...crappy roads leading to the resort....bird poop stains still on the balcony over the entire week....I spent like 10 mins in the lobby and I'm sure I have bird poop stains on my deck at home that I haven't cleaned and frankly I don't plan to in the near future. Go on vacation...chill...and enjoy. With that said, here is my review of this establishment:

Safety: We have a six and a ten year old and never worried about their safety whatsoever - either at the resort or during our three times away from the resort. We felt very safe in Playa DC and found all the locals very friendly. In regards to theft, there are safes in all rooms. Use them. Don't leave any valuables hanging around. This is just good travelling protocol no matter if you're staying at Four Seasons or Motel 9....same goes with locking your door at night...always deadbolt the door.

Room & Housecleaning: We had a 1BR suite and the room was great. Tonnes of space, two washrooms with a jacuzzi and a separate shower. No problems with hot water nor pressure. It was great to have a fridge in the room that was fully stocked every day. The only miscue that occurred was that one day we didn't get either shower gel or shampoo but got two conditioners instead. Minor inconvenience and problem was solved 20 mins later. We were in villa 7 on the 2nd floor and was centrally located. Personally, I prefer the privacy of a balcony more than a terrace but if my kids were younger I could understand he convenience of having a room opening up and having the pool right in front of you.

Food & Drinks: Gourmet was a tad of a stretch but we still enjoyed the food and didnt have any problems with service. We tipped quite a bit and enjoyed doing so. Breakfast was typical but I really enjoyed the wide assortment of fresh fruit. Lunch was your typical burgers/fries/pizza and mexican food at the outside bar and grill and food at the Sea Olive was quite good. Salmon was nicely prepared and my kids quite enjoyed the grilled chicken breast. We alternated our Dinner venues and enjoyed the Italian restaurant the most - good variety. Having eaten real Japanese in the orient for many years, Tsuki was a little disappointing for me. But then again, that's like trying to find a good Mexican restaurant in Japan. Difficult to find and probably not going to happen. Drinks to me were good and I'll have no problems with an establishment that offers JW Black Label at all bars. House wine was so-so but thats what I expected.

Swimming Pools and Beach: Pools were nice and very quiet the week we were there. Very tranquil and at times, we felt that we had the pool to ourselves. The infinity pool was more crowded but we could find chairs every day without any difficulty. Yes the beach is quite rocky, but as mentioned in many previous posts, the beach to the left is quite nice. One word of caution to parents with young kids. Please watch them at all times and keep them close. On TWO occasions, we saw two young kids almost drown. The pools have a very nice shallow area where kids can play and soak...only problem is that there is a ledge and the dropoff is 4 feet. On two occasions, kids were playing close to the ledge, took an extra step, and off they went. In one case, a young boy took in lots of water (parents were there in 2-3 seconds) and spat up quite a bit of water. That's how quickly it can happen and luckily both kids were OK.

Health & Wellness: My wife went to the spa and had a lovely time. Not cheap but you're on vacation - enjoy and splurge! Great ambience and had a wide variety of services. Two days later, she went for a massage on the beach ($35 for an hour - independently owned) and she thought the beach massage was just as good - if not better. I followed and totally agreed with her. Great technique and very professional. Personally, I liked to be in the cabana and hear the waves crash while I was receiving the treatment. If you're on a budget, this is definitely the way to go. I worked out every other day and the gym is small but good enough. I preferred running outside and did so every morning in the lovely fresh air. Always finished a workout with a visit to Rodrigo in the Health Bar and tried the wide assortment of fruit juices and smoothies. They were great and I will miss his drinks!

Day Trips: We went shopping down in Playa and walked the strip. Typical stores with a good variety of bars and restaurants. We also booked Xtreme Tulum and had an amazing time. Family of four costs about $350 but well worth it. Our excursion included a two hour trip (one hour guided) to Tulum and then a half day in a jungle where we snorkelled in a cenote, rappelled down a 70 foot wall, and zip-lined all day. Awesome fun and what an adrenaline rush. Included in our booking were two free tickets for our kids to Xcaret so we decided to pay and go as well....The Underground river and the Coral Aquarium was cool but the day was just OK...perhaps a letdown after our Xtreme trip but I would bypass this the next time.

All in all, we had a blast. We had good food, some R&R, and had lots of fun. Book Azul Fives and enjoy. Don't knit pick and travel smartly and you'll have a wonderful vacation.

montreal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2012

Very nice hotel, great for kids! The staff was very nice and helpfull. Food is great and a la carte. no reservation needed in any restaurant.
Kids club is the best one i saw in Mexico so far.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Chevy Chase
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2012

In summary, this hotel is marketing itself at a much higher level than they are offering and setup for.
We booked a family vacation (2 adults, 2 children) at the Azul Fives for a 5 day/4night stay in April. After a few hours from being there we realized that the hotel was far from meeting our expectations. This was not the first time we went to the Can Cun area, so knew what good quality looks like (e.g. Dreams chain), so we decided to change hotel after the first night.
Key things to note:
- Beach is not suited for swimming. It has coral/rocks and importantly plagued with sea ​​urchins.
- Food is just okay, but far from gourmet. We asked for a Daiquiri and drink was as artificial as it could be. It tasted like a chemical mix. Likewise, some restaurants offer Coca Cola...which does not taste like coca cola at all. Finally, their 'fajitas'...pretty average. I've had much better fajitas in any Tex Mex here in the US.
- Slow service: Service in the pool and some restaurants is overly slow. Needs improvement in this front.
- Hotel layout. The hotel is actually thought to be a condo, not a hotel. All rooms are located in the back of the property, so no beach view at all...and it takes over 5 minutes to walk over to get to the beach front.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
KarismaHotelsResorts, Guest Relations Manager at Azul Fives Hotel, by Karisma, responded to this review, May 8, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

On behalf of Azul Fives Hotel, we were very disappointed to read about your experiences that fell short of expectations after only a few hours at our resort.

We are proud to have part of the second largest coral reef in the world lining our shores, which provides for such unique and incredible snorkeling experiences. However, this does make the beaches slightly rocky under foot. There are various places to enter the ocean without rocks where guests can enter the ocean for swimming. To protect your feet, reef shoes can be worn and is something we recommend to our guests.

When on vacation, we understand that food and beverages are very important. At the Azul Fives Hotel, we create unique, fine dining experiences for the entire family to enjoy. We can assure you that we only use fresh ingredients that are supplied by our sister resort’s greenhouse.

We are very sorry to hear you did not enjoy the gourmet cuisine. We take pride in the fact that our cuisine is produced by star chefs trained at some of the finest Michelin and Zagat rated restaurants around the world. Further, our Mexican cuisine consists of traditional recipes based on the region’s authentic dishes; we agree that such dishes are not the same as the newer U.S. version of Tex Mex. All sodas are supplied by Coca Cola and all ingredients in our cocktails are natural. However, we know none of this changes your experience and for that we are truly sorry.

We appreciate your feedback and we’d like you to know that we have carefully considered each and every comment made so that necessary improvements can be accomplished.
Eagan, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

My wife and I recently stayed at the Azul Fives for a destination wedding. In all, we spent 5 days there. In order to properly describe the stay, I have made comments in several areas: accomodations, Accommodations, service, food, price, and facilities. I've tried to list both the positives and the negatives for this stay, but overall, there were more negatives. Perhaps it reflects my expectations from the literature.

Accomodations: We stayed in the typical suite and did not get an upgrade. The rooms were outfitted with two double beds which were two small for us to be comfortable – either do not sleep with wife or fall off bed. Other issues with our room were typical of the loss of detail I would have expected from a facility of this type - The toilet did not flush well, the shower door stop was broken off and door misadjusted which caused it to hit stall glass. There were stains all over bathroom, and the sink drains did not drain well. The clock radio did not work and could not set alarm.

Service: The person aligning ride to airport let someone with our same last name take our seat, even though we were two people and the person was one. This caused us to nearly miss our flight and the place stated we were responsible for the cost of the hotel ride. Room service was at best 35 minutes, and at worst an hour, for ice. Refrigerator was not fully stocked each day.

Food: The breakfast buffet was very good at both restaurants that served breakfast. The mediterranean not that good, with mediocre service and food that was less than mediocre. The wedding party supper meal food was cold. At the Italian restaurant, they served a wine list, but our all inclusive selection of wines only allow house of each type. I ordered risotto in three different restaurants and they simply do not know how to make it. The filet mignon might have been dog, it was not edible or a fillet I could discern. One party got sick (diarrhea) and we only ate at the resort.

Price: Wedding party deal – facility tried to back out of bridal suite after other parties had booked facilities and flights. Eventually, the deal was honored, but even the thought of doing so is reprehensible. Upgrades were not processed for half our wedding party.

Facilities: Doors to suite – security system did not accept passkey for two of the four days so the outer doors had to remain open. Tables at restaurant were worn out. Concrete was old, chipped, stained and in general disrepair throughout the facility. One notable positive – DJ provided for wedding dance on the beach was outstanding. My wife and I did go to a spa and the masseuse was exceptional, though the price was pretty high as well.

I hope this helps people make better choices. Overall, the facility was very ordinary. We stayed at a facility down the beach last year and the quality of every aspect of the stay was much nicer.

Room Tip: Ask for a queen size bed.
Dear Valued Guest,

On behalf of the hotel management, we would like to thank you for the feedback from your vacation at the Azul Fives Hotel. We’d like you to know that your comments have been carefully considered so that improvements can be made where necessary. In addition, we would like to clarify a few of your comments listed in your review.

Within our promotional material and website description, we do include that all deluxe suites have two double beds, each bed accommodating two adults. We’re very sorry that you encountered inconsistencies within your suite; we can assure you that your experiences were not a true reflection of the high quality and standards that we are known for.

We do apologize for the difficulties concerning the service. Unfortunately, the hotel is not in charge of ground transportation, this is arranged and scheduled with your local travel representative.

We are very happy to read that you enjoyed our breakfast services. We have brought your comments concerning service and food quality to the attention of our Food and Beverage Manager . We’d like you to know that we only use the best cuts of meat which are national and USDA certified.

We are sorry that the wedding couple had an issue receiving the bridal suite. When a bridal spa package is purchased, they have a complimentary use of our bridal suite on the day of their wedding. With regards to the mentioned upgrades, we do have various special promotions that have room upgrades included. However, this can only be checked with further details of the bookings.

Further, we encourage you and/or the wedding couple to contact us directly to discuss your vacation in greater detail and the aspects that were not in line with our high standards of Gourmet Inclusive vacationing.

Been to Azul Fives Hotel, by Karisma? Share your experiences!