“Good food” 3 of 5 stars
Review of La Tarraya Restaurant/Bar

La Tarraya Restaurant/Bar
Calle 2 norte entre 5a Av. y Zona Federal Maritima, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico
984/873-2040
Improve this listing
Ranked #222 of 787 Restaurants in Playa del Carmen
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Families with children, Large groups, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night
Description: The grouper with garlic and butter for 90 pesos can't be beat anywhere. Service was good, portions are huge , drinks are large and excellent, and the location is right on the beach (feet in the sand if you choose). A great value.
Arizona
“Good food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

We were directed here from "map chick" as they apparently have inexpensive fish. However, if you want GOOD fish, the price is relative. We enjoyed the beach atmosphere but the food isn't anything out of the ordinary. The horchata was good.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Killeen
“The prices on the menu didn't match our check.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

I would like to piggy back off Johhnygram, the person who wrote a reivew prior to my review.
We were there the same day and the only reason we stopped to eat is because we asked a couple how was the food. The female informed me it was good, so we sat down and ordered drinks. The drinks were great, but then we heard a patron speaking with a waiter about the pesos and that he was being robbed.

After we heard this, we had only orderd drinks and appetizers and decided to cut our lose.
We were almost swindled out of our money.We only ordered pico/chips and 4 drinks and our bill amounted to $39 and they added the tip in and called it taxes. The price was different than what was on the menu.

If you go make sure you check menu with what you actually ordered.

Visited June 2013
“Either a thief or too ignorant to know the exchange rate.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013 via mobile

The meal started off well and I enjoyed it until it came to pay the bill. After about 1 1/2 hours I got my bill. Apparently 590 pesos equates to $59. I gave the waiter dollars and he gave me back 100 pesos. Before I could figure out the exchange rate, he walked away. I was cheated out of $15. Dishonest waiter, I am very sorry that your nation's currency is worth only a fraction of my nation's currency. Still, this is not my fault and La Tarraya taking advantage of tourists is pathetic. So slick waiter, I ask you again...are you a thief or ignorant? Overall, if you go here, use pesos to prevent being swindled or do not pay the bill up front until you verify.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Fort Worth, Texas
“Yummy, Spicy and Inexpensive”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

We make a point to eat lunch on the beach at Tarraya every trip to Playa Del Carmen. We love the spicy green hot sauce with a cold cerveza. As my main dish I get the garlic shrimp every time. It is very flavorful. Great place to eat while on the beach with your toes in the sand.

Dined at on Nov 2010 & May 2012 and already have plans to dine in August 2013.

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
“Perfecto”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

The long walk from our condo was well worth it. Unlike the other beach bars, playing American and British covers, the live music here was authentic mariachi. The ceviche was delicious and the fish fillet, both Veracruz style and tarraya especial was sweet and divine. Margaritas were super sized and the prices on-the-cheap. Eating with toes in the sand was a bonus. We have been coming to playa for 6 years, and this place is tops on our list.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere