“Stunning” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Rio Secreto

Rio Secreto
Carretera Federal Cancun- Tulum 307 en KM 282 | Playa del Carmen, Playa del Carmen 77781, Mexico
984-877-2377
Website
Improve this listing
Book Now

Ranked #37 of 261 Activities in Playa del Carmen
Type: Tours
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Mexico reveals its newly-discovered underground river: Very few places in the world boast conditions that make it possible to witness the extraordinary beauty of an underground river. Rio Secreto is a fantastic journey into a unique system of underground rivers and ancient caverns that reveals both the astonishing interaction of time within the interior of our planet and the miraculous existence of our lives. Come and experience this magical journey with us on your next vacations in Mexico.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Orlando, FL
13 attraction reviews
“Stunning”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

Booked a tour with our cruise line and it was the highlight of our entire cruise trip. We've been to Cozumel many times and we were looking for a unique experience. We found it at Rio Secreto. Our guide, Benito, was great. He did a great job with the young kids in our group and keeping everyone together. He did a great job in letting us know where to step, sharp rocks, how to maneuver some of the trickier areas but I could not have done it without a walking stick. The stick saved me quite a few times. Don't know how some folks in our group did it without the walking stick. The cave was truly stunning and the experience of sitting in total darknesss for a moment was priceless. We were in the cave for about 1 1/2 hours and the time went by very quickly. No cameras are allowed and they do have a photographer following you around but the photos are quite expensive at $25.00 for a single photo. Nevertheless, we bought one we just felt we needed a photo to capture this unique experience.

Rio Secreto M, Manager at Rio Secreto, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Hello worldtraveler428. We are so happy that the Rio Secreto experience was the highlight of your cruise trip. That moment of absolute silence when the lights are turned off really does awaken all your senses. We hope that you will remember this amazing experience for a long time and that you will share it with all your friends.

Fort Worth, Texas
“Amazing Attraction made even better by the tour guide and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

My husband, brother and sister-in-law did visited Rio Secreto as an excursion we booked from our cruise on Carnival. Thought it was a long trip from our port in Cozumel, it was totally worth it. The river and cave system was absolutely amazing and like nothing I've ever seen. As our guide, Alfredo, said there really are no words to describe the experience and he's right.
Alfredo was an excellent guide who thoroughly enjoyed his job, you could tell this was truly his passion. He was very knowledgeable and helpful. I really felt like I was his guest at his home as he guided us through the caves, not some random foreigner he hoped to make money off of.
The lunch provided at the end of the tour was more than adequate and quite good. The entire operation, from start to finish, was smooth and professional. I highly recommend this tour.

Rio Secreto M, Manager at Rio Secreto, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Thank you kellik79 visiting us at Rio Secreto. We agree that this underground river is breathtakingly beautiful and the stalagmites and stalactites are spectacular, leaving one speechless. We are so pleased that you had a great time with us and that Alfredo made you feel so welcome. As we say in Mexico, “mi casa es su casa”. We really hope that the next time you are in the Riviera Maya you will come and visit us again.
Bogota, Colombia
“WOW! amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

Just a really great experience!!! Love the scenery, the caves, WOW! Amazing!!!
People who attend us were really nice & kind and knows a lot about the place.
Rodrigo our tour guy, is an expert on the matter so I felt absolutely secure all along the experience.
Thanks a lot for this wonderful time!!!
I want to go back 1000 times!!!

Rio Secreto M, Manager at Rio Secreto, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Hello Virginia M. We are so pleased that you had a great time with us and that you found this underground system to be spectacular and amazing. We believe Rio Secreto is a jewel that nature has given us and we just want to share it with everyone so that they can enjoy this life changing experience that it has to offer. Also safety is extremely important to us and all our guides are trained to comply with the highest of international safety standards. Glad you felt safe and secure with Rodrigo and we look forward to welcoming you back 1000 times.
California
“Awesome half-day trip!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

We went on this with our 5 and 10 year old children and it was fantastic. My daughter was dying to do a swim with the dolphins with her cousin but I don't feel those are humane to the animals. Last minute the other family switched their plan and I had to make good on my promise that we'd do something else cool at the same time. I was able to make same day reservations and we all thought it was amazing. Even the ride from the staging area by the highway to the cenotes was neat, as there was an incredible number of butterflies to watch. The caves are beautiful and fascinating. Our guide Benito had a remarkable depth of knowledge. He was also good with our 5-year-old, who he kept next to him the whole time. Sometimes it's hard to know how much is talk and how much is real, but they seem genuinely committed to preserving and respecting this resource. The Maya blessing beforehand actually seemed respectful of the culture rather than cheesy. Minor details: you're going back and forth between walking and floating frequently, so each time you get back in you get cool water in your wetsuit. The kids got chilly towards the end, but it's the perfect activity to do in the heat of midday. Skip the transport if you have multiple people -- we paid $30 round trip for taxis from central Playa del Carmen and would have paid $90 (and spent more time in transit) for their van. And as everyone else mentions, the photos are a rip. All in all though it's beautiful, shows you something you won't see anywhere else in the world, and does it in a way that tries to be sustainable and responsible. That's a rare combination in these parts!

Rio Secreto M, Manager at Rio Secreto, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Thank you akuvikate for visiting us at Rio Secreto. We agree that this underground river is breathtakingly beautiful and spectacular and we are so pleased that your whole family, especially your children had a cool time with us. We appreciate your concern regarding the protection of this unique underground river system. To that end we have formed a non-profit called "Centinelas del Agua" ("Guardians of the Water") whose primary objective is the promotion of sustainable management of our freshwater resource on the Yucatan Peninsula. Keep in touch on Facebook to see what we're up to. We really hope that you will come and visit us again and thanks for the tip regarding the transport.
Detroit, Michigan
“Really great tour! Highly recommend.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

I went with my boyfriend and his sister on this and we all loved it. Our tour guide, Lia (Argelia), was really awesome and did a great job talking about the cave and keeping the group together. She did an excellent job explaining how the cave was formed, about stalactites/stalagmites/columns, small animals in the cave (shrimp and small fish in the water and bats), and she was great about letting us know where to avoid sharp rocks and where to step to keep our footing). She also spoke French in addition to her English and Spanish which I thought was really cool.

We were probably down there over an hour, but I didn't have my watch on. Everything was provided (shoes, wetsuit, life vest, and helmet with light). The inside was BEAUTIFUL. It was absolutely worth it to see the cave. I have gone into caves before and this was by far my favorite.

Lockers were provided with keys (you can wear the key around your neck).

A professional photographer followed us around but we didn't end up buying the pictures because they were super expensive. ($25 for a SINGLE photo and $70 for a package of 8 or something).

The food at the end was good but VERY spicy. I'm used to pretty spicy food but have never tried anything with a habañero pepper in it and I was caught by surprise by it. However, I liked the food buffet.