We stayed at the Royal Palms Condominiums in PDC, suite 9 for 8 days through April 4th. Overall, we were very happy with our stay there. It was difficult to find reviews before we traveled, so here are the pros and cons for anyone considering a stay. They do ask for a wire transfer to Canada of the rental fee ahead of time, which may seem risky, however we had a similar situation for a condo in Hawaii, which worked out fine for us, so we went ahead with it. Since our bank charged a $40 fee for a wire, we asked and were able to send a check to the bank ahead of time.
There are only about a dozen units in the complex. There is a beautiful small courtyard in the middle with tall palms and a very small swimming area, good for kids, too small for adults. Suite 9 is on the between the 1st and top levels. It has very nice modern furnishings with everything you might need: air conditioner (necessary at least during the day), washer/dryer (with detergent), refrigerator, stove, bottled water, filtered ice, king-sized bed (see pictures).
The location in Playa is really great – you are on the north end of 5th avenue on 26th st. called “Little Italy” due to the Italian visitors and restaurants in the area. 5th avenue is the main drag and most of it is blocked off for pedestrian traffic. You are within walking distance of almost everything. We never took a taxi in the time that we were there. However, you are far enough from the busiest part of Playa where more of the traffic is and the cruise ship passengers come in, around 6th or 10th.
Now for the downside: there is construction going on in the attached building that starts after 7am and ends around 5pm. Saturday it ends early and Sunday, well, sleep in on Sunday! Although not constant, it was not uncommon to hear a hammer, jackhammer or drill going throughout the day. We joked that there was one guy with a hammer on the other side of the wall that knew just when we needed a nap. The construction is slower than in the states and I doubt it will be completed anytime soon. There are several projects going on in adjacent buildings, as well. There is a lot of construction in various stages around Playa, so I would think this is a potential risk wherever you stay.
You do have a small private patio with a view of a gravel lot. Not much to look at, but serviceable. The managers are friendly and available for any issues you might have with your unit. You’d be best scheduling your own tours, etc. on your own, although Juan was very helpful and did make phone calls to inquire about an evening catamaran for us (they were booked). Make sure to check out the restaurant reviews that are left for you – one of the managers is a “foodie” and leaves a detailed review of many PDC restaurants that we found very accurate and carried with us regularly. We never had a bad meal and there are plenty of restaurants to choose from.
Although the construction noise was frustrating, we would definitely stay here again because it is a great value for the money (4 out of 5 stars) and a great location.
A few favorites stops: La Cueva del Chango for breakfast, El Fogon on 30th Ave for a local low cost dinner of tacos el pastor (pork tacos) and Deseo rooftop bar for drinks. We found the best mojitos at Club Havana, 100% Natural, or Tequila Barrel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Royal Palms features our high-end, luxury collection of private homes for rent.The Royal Palms is a boutique collection of 10 private condo homes, each offering a vast and unique array of amenities and serviced by Playa del Carmen's leading vacation condo rental company, BRIC Vacation Rentals. The Royal Palms offers 1, 2 and 3 bedroom homes, available for weekly and daily rentals with the benefits of hotel like service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline and Booking.com so you can book your Royal Palms Condominiums reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Royal Palms Condominiums Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Royal Palms Condominiums Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico