We exchanged through RCI and had an optional all-inclusive studio (hotel) room that only came with a stocked mini fridge. To save a ton of money, we chose not to do the AI plan. Food isn't particularly important to us on vacation so we went into Playa to get food/drinks/supplies at Wal-Mart. (See if you can take the shuttle to Sunset Fisherman and have the driver drop you off in town instead. A taxi to or from the resort will cost $20 each way. You can also walk out to the highway and wait for a bus (collectivo).) We were able to store our cold items in the fridge without disturbing the stocked (fee) items. We asked for a microwave and they brought us one (of possibly only 2 available??) so we were able to heat up food such as Easy Mac, hot dogs, Ramen noodles, oatmeal, tea, etc. If you are through RCI, you can attend the Sun night welcome buffet for $120MX per person (about $10USD). Besides the "free" timeshare breakfast, the welcome buffet was the only meal we ate at the resort. We only ate out once in Playa as well - at Karen's on 5th Ave. It was pretty good food and not outrageously expensive (we spent $20USD for 2 entrees, a soda, and a beer).
The following activities were available at Tres Rios during our stay, without incurring any additional charges:
- beach beds - thought these might need to be reserved ($?) but always found one open and no one ever bothered us
- tours (must reserve spots): Sensa (husband didn't like; I thought it was a little odd but interesting); bike; kayak; snorkel
- Hobie catamaran - find at the beach and wait your turn to go out with guide
- kayak - you can get at the beach and take up the 2nd river by yourself (the 1st river is the one with the "tour" and also the one you snorkel through)
- shuttle to Sunset Fisherman in PlayaCar - have to reserve spots and I think it's only for members (not sure if this is Sunset members only or all RCI)
- if someone is walking around with a wheelbarrow, chopping the tops off of coconuts, you can get one with a straw and drink the coconut water
The resort was beautiful - the pools sparkle and the grounds were well maintained. Our room was kept clean and staff throughout the resort was friendly. The sea water in this region isn't as pretty as in Cancun or in Playa, but the beach was adequate since we primarily just enjoy the sound of the waves. We enjoyed all the activities (tours) available onsite in the eco park area. We used the tap water in our room and didn't have any issues.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Luxury and sustainability create unforgettable vacation experiences at Hacienda Tres Rios, an all-inclusive resort located in the heart of the Riviera Maya. Nestled in a 326 acre pristine nature park, this natural paradise boasts three fresh water rivers and 10 cenotes (natural occurring sinkholes) and is home to over 90 species of fauna and 120 species of flora. Hacienda Tres Rios resort brings together luxurious accommodations, gourmet dining and a wealth of activities on the shores of the spectacular Caribbean Sea in the Riviera Maya.The resort's 273 spacious suites feature a modern design inspired by the Mexican hacienda style. Each suite features 300 thread-count Egyptian cotton linens, extra thick luxury mattresses and a pillow menu. Most suites also have a Jacuzzi for two and spectacular views of the Caribbean Sea. Designed to ensure you never run out of dining choices, Hacienda Tres Ríos resort offers countless options; private dining alternatives, a sommelier (wine steward), 24-hour room service and a variety of specialty restaurants ranging in taste from Italian and Mexican to French and Asian cuisine. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, BookIt.com, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Splendia, Orbitz, Odigeo, Otel, Agoda, Low Cost Holidays and Jetsetter so you can book your Hacienda Tres Rios reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hacienda Tres Rios Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Hacienda Tres Rios Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico