We just returned from a week at Tres Rios. We have done several previous all-inclusive vacations - one other in the Playa del Carmen area. We travelled as a family: grandparents, parents and kids (ages 9, 12, 14). We had a GREAT trip!
Highlights of the trip: beautiful, well kept grounds/pool areas; attentive service of wait staff at pool/beach and restaurants, plenty of beach/pool lounges/beds; spacious comfortable rooms (BEST beds we've encountered in the Caribbean) - we had 2 adjoining rooms and it worked out great; plenty of on-property activities - kayaking, snorkeling (not great sights but still interesting), swimming in cenotes, biking around the property, catamaran rides and the BEST was the segway tour (w/ Federico and Jonathan). (The segway tour was the only thing we paid extra for but was well worth the $25 USD). They also had a variety of daily classes that were very good - Spanish lessons, stretching on the beach, water aerobics, cooking classes, etc that the activites staff (including Erick, our favorite) conducted. The property was not crowded and overall the experience was very relaxing!
Cons: food - Through the course of the week, we learned the best options: the Hacienda Grill outdoor/poolside restaurant served good lunch/dinner, the poolside pizzeria for lunch was good, the Italian restaurant (dinner only) was very good but was for adults (>13yrs) only. Buffet breakfast was good - fruits, french toast, omelets - but not varied. Otherwise, the food was average at best - buffet lunch/dinner, Mexican restaurant, Asian fusion restaurant - but from our experiences this is similar to other all inclusives. One nice thing about the food/restaurants was that there was no limit or reservations required for the specialty restaurants. Beach - one smaller section of beach was very nice but the majority of the beach was rocky w/ mucky water. This wasn't a problem for us as it was still beautiful to lounge in the palapas on the beach and we spent most of our water time in the pools, cenotes or rivers. "Kid" activities - there was a kids club for up to 12 year olds but it was really more appropriate for kids 5-8. Again, this wasn't a big problem for us as we like to spend time as a family on vacation but is important to know if you're looking for it. There really wasn't anything aimed at teens/tweens. Evening entertainment was good but limited - Pop Legends and Michael Jackson shows, karaoke and casino nights (Casino night was GREAT!) We unfortunately missed the final Circus show (along with many other hotel guests) because the daily schedule was misprinted. There was a beach party mid week - tables for 250+ were set up on the beach w/ live music and dinner buffet. Food again was fair but the concept was good and the experience fun.
We were "invited" to the sales pitch - as many other reviews reference - and were offered MANY incentives to go (excursions, massages, special dinners, transportation, etc). We declined and received no further pressure or expenses.
Overall, we had a great, relaxing and family friendly trip which was our goal!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Luxury and sustainability create unforgettable vacation experiences at Hacienda Tres Rios, an all-inclusive resort located in the heart of the Riviera Maya. Nestled in a 326 acre pristine nature park, this natural paradise boasts three fresh water rivers and 10 cenotes (natural occurring sinkholes) and is home to over 90 species of fauna and 120 species of flora. Hacienda Tres Rios resort brings together luxurious accommodations, gourmet dining and a wealth of activities on the shores of the spectacular Caribbean Sea in the Riviera Maya.The resort's 273 spacious suites feature a modern design inspired by the Mexican hacienda style. Each suite features 300 thread-count Egyptian cotton linens, extra thick luxury mattresses and a pillow menu. Most suites also have a Jacuzzi for two and spectacular views of the Caribbean Sea. Designed to ensure you never run out of dining choices, Hacienda Tres Ríos resort offers countless options; private dining alternatives, a sommelier (wine steward), 24-hour room service and a variety of specialty restaurants ranging in taste from Italian and Mexican to French and Asian cuisine. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, BookIt.com, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Splendia and Jetsetter so you can book your Hacienda Tres Rios reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hacienda Tres Rios Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Hacienda Tres Rios Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico