“Well worth the money” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hacienda Tres Rios

Save Saved
You added Hacienda Tres Rios to your Saves list
Hacienda Tres Rios
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Cancun-Tulum, Km. 54, Playa del Carmen 77760, Mexico   |
Ranked #57 of 199 hotels in Playa del Carmen
San Diego, California
“Well worth the money”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

This all-inclusive resort gives every penny worth and more. We came for a friend's wedding and got an incredible vacation with nice, clean rooms, great service, and lots to do. Price included several different restaurants, 4 different activities, 2 big pools with drink/food service, beach front cabanas, and lots of extra amenities. Can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Some rooms have Jacuzzis on the balconies!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

2,653 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (548)
Saxonburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

If you are a peson who is a selective then Hacienda Tres Rios is the place for you. The staff members are very kind and accommodating. They pay attention to detail. There are and array of activities for adults and children to enjoy. The resort is very well kept. They have a low turn over of employees. The employees seems to be invested in their job and they make customer service their number one priority.

The resort is environmentally friendly. They've 326 acres of land. There is a nature park on site. There are many water activities on site such as kayaking, snorkling and diving. They can also arrange off site activities such as horse back riding, para sailing and an array of tours.

The resort has four a la carte restaurants. They have a very great selection of gourmet dishes. They have a Mexican restaurant-- one of my favorites, An Italian restaurant--very intimate and romantic, an Asian infusion--great sushi, and there is an open air grill which is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Upon arrival, they greet you with fresh juice! Check in is at 3pm but if you arrive early, they'll keep your luggage and you are allowed to use the facility. A concierge is always present to assist you and give you an itinerary of the actvities for the week. Children have their own check in welcome desk. They receive balloons--the children really have fun.

This is not a resort for loud young people but perfect for families and adults who enjoy nature and tranquility. They do have bands who come in and they have a welcome and a farewell party. There is a theatre on site and at least once a week they have a performance.

They do carry prime brand liquor. They have two bars at the beach, a sports bar, one at the grill, a full bar at the breakfast buffet and in the evening, there is a martini bar overlooking the river. The clientelle is mostly polite and well mannered. Their wine selection has gotten much better over the years.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
DavidZCancun_Mexico, Manager at Hacienda Tres Rios, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Dear Guest:
Thank you for your kind comments.
We are glad to read you were able to enjoy our property and your son had a great time at the Kids club.
Our guest satisfaction is our main concern at Hacienda Tres Ríos and reading your comment inspires us to continue working hard to keep our quality and standards but most of all to continue providing the excellent service we have become known for.
It will be our pleasure to have you back in the near future.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

Hi everyone - I spent a week Hacienda Tres Rios, Riviera Maya last February. I have to say neither the food or the service were great, however we were having a good time until a member of the hotel's personnel stole my sunglasses right from my table while I was having breakfast. The hotel was terribly slow to try to figure out a solution. I had to follow up with them almost to the degree of chasing them down for two months and after all of that time they just told me that they were unable to cover my loss when even their security personnel acknowledged that it was clearly a straightforward robbery and they have already asked me for my financial information to reimburse me for my loss. If you do end up staying at this resort, please beware to take care of your personal belongings a bit more than usual and be prepared to deal with an incredibly incompetent management!

By the way, the resort offered 2000 mxn credit on my next visit...of course I am never going back but seriously if anyone wants it, I can transfer the benefit!! Let me know.

P.S. There are plenty of options in Cancun & RM, I would not book here again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
DavidZCancun_Mexico, Manager at Hacienda Tres Rios, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Dear Guest:
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. The safety of our guests and their belongings if of the upmost importance to us. As part of our efforts to avoid an incident of this nature we take all necessary precautions including surveillance, security staff around the clock and a thorough check in and out process which all staff members undergo, making it nearly impossible for something of this nature to occur.
Even though your report regarding this incident differs from what was originally declared onsite we did everything possible to assist you in recovering your sunglasses.
Unfortunately we were not only unable to recover them but also unable to confirm they were misplaced at the Grill Restaurant, however in a good faith effort went ahead and offered you a credit towards a future stay which we hope you will change your mind about using.
Hacienda Tres Rios has become known for providing memorable vacation experiences which are meant to relieve our guests from the stress of everyday life, we trust that aside from this incident we were able to deliver the service experience we have become known for.
Ashland, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

we spent 2 weeks at hacienda. We found the food and services to be OUTSTANDNG!!! Our experience began with Rene Hernandez. He assisted us in making certain our stay at Hacienda was delightful. Rene made certain we felt WELCOMED to Hacienda! He also informed us of all the activities offered at Hacienda and sights worth seeing in surrounding areas(including information of transportation to surrounding areas). The pool area was beautiful and the food was exceptional -5 star! Francisco Carmona took superb care of our room every day! He not only cleaned our room but gave special attention to details! He provided clean daily clean towels , placed creative towel creations on our beds and made certain we had what we needed everyday in our rooms! One of our highlights in staying at Hacienda was the Gymn and the Trainer (Manuel). The gymn is small in size (they do need a larger gymn due to the large number of people using the gymn) but it is clean and well equipped for small numbers. The best part of the gymn is Manuel ! This trainer is EXCELLENT!! He makes everyone feel welcomed to the gymn and is not Intimitating! Manuel is so knowledgeable in Yoga, Pilates and Weight Training! We have stayed in many resorts with a fitness center but this is the first time I have experienced a resort providing a trainer as excellent as Manuel! I would go back to Hacienda for the opportunity to work further with Manuel. Without doubt he was MY HIGHLIGHT of my stay at Hacienda!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Worcester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

Had a lovey week at the HACIENDA TRES RIOS, great staff very friendly and food and drinks of a very high standard. Would go again at the drop of a hat. The pools are well laid out so you can have a kid free time if you want it, or can go and lay on the beach.

Keep up the good work.

Room Tip: Have a spa massage if you can, well worth it.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

I booked this hotel for my proposal/engagement dinner and to check out the resort as a possible destination wedding venue. Needless to say from the title of my review, I will not be returning for my wedding here.

When I arrived to the resort, it was very disorganized. We came at 3pm for check in. They were unable to print out our room keys, because the guy in charge of printing them was out eating lunch. Some woman took us to our room to let us in with her master key, and they told us we had to go down later to pick up the room key.

The actual engagement dinner was excellent because I was paying additional money for it, but the food/service the following days was on a rapid downward spiral. To sum up my experience...

Pros: Gorgeous grounds, amazing beds (pillow menu), Enrique is an amazing waiter!
Cons: Where do I begin.... The food is horrendous. The breakfast/lunch buffet food is horrible and cold - there is no variety between the days and you have to wait on a 20 minute line to get an omelet since there is only one cook at the omelet station. The Japanese restaurant food is a poor excuse for Japanese cuisine - every piece of sushi had cream cheese or was deep fried - tempura style. The taste was horrible, anybody taking a one day beginners sushi course could have made sushi better tasting than this. The italian restaurant was the only restaurant that had delicious tasting cuisine with one small issue - there was a long black HAIR baked into the bread that got caught between my incisors. When I showed the waiter he sincerely apologized and gave us a free bottle of wine. Drinks are NOT top shelf liquor, and are watered down and served in dirty plastic cups. Con #2 - They force you to go to a high pressure time share presentation for those who book through travelocity. They first wanted us to pay 40,000 US dollars, and then told us they would give us a discount for only 15,000 dollars. Once you politely decline, they bring on manager after manager for a hard sell pitch. My fiance and I left feeling extremely uncomfortable, and wasted 4 hours of our last day at the hotel. Con #3 - Cleanliness. Our shower had mold growing on the ceiling, and the soap holder had extensive mold growth. They should have their chefs wear hairnets due to the aforementioned hairy bread incident. Since a few of the staff elevators were out of service, the cleaning staff was hauling bags of garbage in the elevators with guests. At one point my fiance and I were crammed in an elevator with bags of garbage.

I proposed to my fiance at this hotel and there was zero recognition from the staff. After the proposal moonlit dinner that I paid ALOT for, the following days there was no recognition from any of the staff. We had let the hotel know months prior to our arrival that we were looking to have our wedding at this hotel. Nobody ever congratulated us, nobody ever asked us to talk to the wedding concierge, no small bottle of champagne sent to the room, nothing. The service at this hotel is substandard, and contrasts completely to the hotel we stayed at a year prior: Secrets Silversands - a gorgeous hotel with amazing food and five star service.

Travelers beware, this hotel is by no means a five star hotel despite their claims. Food is horrible, service horrible, and expect to spend half a day during a high pressure sales pitch where they do not take no for an answer and call you disrespectful when you decline purchasing.

Room Tip: Look elsewhere.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest:
Thank you for your review, we are terribly disappointed to hear that we did not meet your expectations during your stay.
All of your comments have been taken into consideration and carefully investigated in order to avoid them from reoccurring as we strive to meet and exceed our guest’s expectations. Even though our kitchen staff take every precaution standard in the industry to assure the highest level of cleanliness with our meals, we reiterate our apologies and at that time made a good faith effort to correct the situation, we regret to hear it fell short.
You can rest assured that all precautions have been followed up with and reinforced as we make every effort to provide a high quality product and must maintain our certifications and awards in our bars and restaurants.
We reiterate to you that we did everything possible to provide you with a pleasurable vacation experience and show that our wedding coordinators welcomed you and met with you several times during your stay. We do hope you will reconsider choosing us for a future vacation.
Kamloops, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

My girlfriend and I recently stayed at Hacienda Tres Rios for two weeks and would not recommend it to anyone under the age of about sixty-five. There is one "bar" in the resort with bright lights, no entertainment, and no audible music played with, on average, two to three people inside at any given time, The beach was completely wiped out with a steep bank and a rocky shoreline. This, of course, is through no fault of the resorts but not what one would expect when coming to the Mayan Riviera.The worst part of all was the timeshare meeting. We were planning on going into Playa Del Carmen that day and expressed no interest in purchasing at the resort, however they were relentless in trying to persuade us to buy to the point that it was very frustrating and ate up the majority of our morning.

The food at the Hacienda grill was good, but the Mexican, Italian, and Japanese food was very average, at best. All in all, I would seriously consider one of the many other resorts in the area before I planned on going to Tres Rios.

Room Tip: Don't expect to get the room booked in advance
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hacienda Tres Rios? Share your experiences!