“Another Great Vacation” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hacienda Tres Rios

Save Saved
You added Hacienda Tres Rios to your Saves list
Hacienda Tres Rios
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Cancun-Tulum, Km. 54, Playa del Carmen 77760, Mexico   |
Ranked #54 of 199 hotels in Playa del Carmen
Peachtree City, Georgia
“Another Great Vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

This was our 7th trip back to Tres Rios. Another perfect vacation. Staff as always was very attentive and friendly. Really appreciate the extra efforts from Gina at the front desk. Great service at from Gregorio and his assistant. And also Itzel for helping me get some meds send to me that I needed. It was a great trip once again... we'll be back in March.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
DavidZCancun_Mexico, Manager at Hacienda Tres Rios, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Dear Guest:

Thank you for sharing your experience at Hacienda Tres Rios. It is always our pleasure to see you back each time and are looking forward to your March visit.

Remember to follow us on facebook for year round destination and resort information.

2,602 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (537)
Variable, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

We just got back from a one-week stay at Hacienda Tres Rios and we had an absolutely lovely time. I wanted to write this while it was still fresh in my mind and the sand was still stuck between my toes (and the hangover - or "la cruda" - was not entirely gone).

We took our 3 kids (8 yrs, 1 yr and 4 mos) and also went with a family member who is a time-share owner. We had a 2-room suite that adjoined a common/dining room - it was bright, spacious and plenty big. They brought in cribs for the little ones and our bed was very comfortable. Zero complaints about the room. The minifridge always had cold beer, soda and bottled water in it, stocked every day.

From the start, when they snap the all-inclusive wrist band on you, you are very, very well taken care of and float along on a sea of fruity drinks and 'holas'. Someone greeted us at reception with a refreshing cocktail of greenish, cactus-y fruit juice, and the drinks did not stop flowing for the entire trip. The staff were all incredibly attentive and clearly not just in it for the tips (although healthy tipping makes the service go from great to dreamy).

I was talking to Victor Perez (our favorite and most attentive waiter) by the poolside one day - a day that was not so busy - and I said, "must be nice to have a few less people here once in a while" and he said (without a trace of irony or insincerity) "it is easier to give good service". This is the general atmosphere - they know you are there to relax and enjoy a little pampering and their job is to make it happen. Alma, the reina of omelets in the buffet, and Gregorio made the mealtimes a breeze and kept the mojitos and mimosas coming. You could hardly down one without someone appearing at your side bringing a fresh one, or asking you if you needed anything. They seemed to strike the perfect balance between being attentive and ever-present without being annoying in the least.

Wrangling 3 kids by the poolside has its share of challenges and Victor and Luis always made sure we had everything we needed (and desired) and never made us feel like we were imposing. They remembered our kid's names and our favorite drinks and I just can't say enough good stuff about the staff.

The food, with a few exceptions, was great - the buffet takes everything you usually associate with buffets (buckets of lukewarm slop not needing chewing) and re-imagines it - small portions laid out with an eye towards fresh, local ingredients. No giant vats of chipped beef here - individual pork tenderloins laid out on a slice of zucchini, surrounded by a delicate mustard sauce. They made it seem like the buffet was set for one, and there's a 'healthy corner' for those desirous of such frail foods. (Vegetables are what food eats, in my opinion).

There were a few large-portion selections (mashed potatoes with spinach, scrambled eggs) but they were still about 1/4 the size of most buffets (Vegas, etc). The variety and selection were admirable, and we fed a vegetarian, a gluten-freegan, an 8 year-old and a 1 year old with ease (I am an omnivore and only require that food not be moving quickly to qualify for ingestion). The only exception to the 'food rules' statement is the watery and unsatisfying 'cheese' sauce that graces the chips (usually poolside) and the burgers (also poolside). The meat was a tad spongy and its provenance somewhat uncertain.

Room service is something from a fever dream - if you are desirous of drunk-a** food at 3am, give in to your whim and it shall appear before your bleary and unbelieving eyes before you can say "wharrrrgarrrrrble" into the commode.

We would order a round of drinks and apps every evening, usually followed by room-service dinner, and up it would come, fresh and tasty in about 20-30 minutes. They seemed perfectly happy to bring several orders up of an evening and never did that "I am waaaaiiiititing around for a tip" shuffle dance that you get in stateside hotels.

If you are leery of kid-friendly places, rest assured there is an adults-only pool where you run little risk of having some diaper-clad yearling fling mucus in your mojito. The whole deal is family friendly to be sure, but we saw lots of hot young things posing poolside in their Dolce and Gabbana, so there's considerable hippification going on there as well (and the twentysomething in our group managed to find several foreign pairs of lips to lock with).

The pools and the surroundings are beautiful. The beach showed some signs of storm damage, but there was a bay that was supposed to be gorgeous just adjacent to the beach (we never made it - the pool was just too nice). Everything you could want to do was right there - snorkeling, diving, catamaraning (which is a verb I just neologized), cenotes-exploring, hiking, kayaking, napping - all the essential activities.

Just skip the burgers and ask Victor to get you another Mojito and you'll do just fine. We will be back and we will love it. I would bet you and yours would too.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Fort Mac
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

The service is amazing. We have so many options when visiting. Its perfect for the whole family, or just us to get some time alone from the kids. We always meet great people. Our first visit was in 2011, and we purchased a membership. Not that we were pressured to, but we thought it would be a good investment. It was. Not that you need to buy in to enjoy the resort. many people don't that absolutely love it there. And they return as well.

The beaches, rivers, and mangroves create an amazing ambience when lounging. One of the highlights is that even with a full resort, you can get excellent locations on the beach anytime during the day. Having activities like kayaking and snorkelling included with the all inclusive is a bonus too. It is no wonder why guests from blue bay and other resorts from down the way end up spending the day on our beach.

Our family recommends it. We will return next year.

Room Tip: There are no bad rooms. the rooms in the "10" and "20" building are probably th...
Dear Guest:

Thank you for your nice comments. We are delighted to read you are already a member and enjoy coming back year after year, it is always a pleasure to have you back.

Next time you visit us remember to take the Segway tour and see the nature park, nursery and beach on this two-wheeled self-balancing battery-powered electric vehicle.
London, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

We spent 5 nights at Tres Rios and had a very positive experience. The staff are very helpful and courteous. Silvestre the" Bell boy " helped us to sort out our return trip to the airport. Hector the concierge introduced us to the resort and answered questions that we had. Maria as well at the concierge desk was knowledgeable and capable.The meals were amazing in the speciality restaurants and we had no problem getting a table. The resort is young and still expanding so the beach directly in front of the resort still needs some work due to seaweed. there is a beach that has been cleared 100yds away on their property that is great for kids with shallow water , light waves and white sand. There is a bike tour and a snorkel tour on the grounds.The bikes are not of great quality to enjoy and the helmets are cracked and don't fit well. Hopefully, new bikes are on order! A few minor items needed fixing in the room and these repairs were taken care of within the hour. The rooms and the grounds are immaculate, and the gardens that were planted from the onsite nursery are beautiful. We would recommend this resort to others .

Dear Guest:

Thank you for your comments. We are glad to read you enjoyed the property and overall visit toTres Rios Nature Park with its 326 acres of pristine tropical rainforests intersected by three winding freshwater rivers, decorated by ten fascinating cenotes (cave-like sinkholes with natural wells), home to 120 species of plants and 90 species of animals. It is the only nature park in the Yucatan Peninsula that includes three distinct ecosystems: jungle, mangrove forest, and coastal dunes.

Next time you visit us remember to take a Hobie Cat Tour and sail along the beaches of Hacienda Tres Ríos on the Caribbean Sea.
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

My wife and I really appreciated the fact the hotel was Eco-friendly and had a mission to perverse the Cenotes and surrounding environment. We have experienced all-inclusive resorts before and were not impressed with the food and beverage selection but we were pleasantly surprised at the quality and selection of food at Hacienda Tresrios. The hotel doesn't have the greatest stretch of beach but the other unique amenities like snorkeling in the centoes, bike tours, and hotel atmosphere makeup for it. They had a great coffee and dessert restaurant and the Italian restaurant requires a dress code which is worth it once you try the food. We went as a couple and had a relaxing experience, this is not a party spring break booze resort. We noticed they do cater to children and families but we appreciated the separate adult pool and amenities. We travel a lot and we were still impressed. We would definitely go back.

Room Tip: Try to get a room facing the beach.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest:

We appreciate the time you took to share your experience at Hacienda Tres Rios. We are delighted to read you had a wondenful time and it will be our pleasure to have you back.

Next time you visit us remember to experience our Chef’s Table. A 7-course dinner in the Chef’s private kitchen.
Minot, North Dakota, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Ok, there's very little to complain about with this resort. People who complain either have much more money than I do, or are just negative people looking for one thing to "ruin" their trip. Like the person who complained about the food. Really? You're judging a resort based on one or two meals you didn't like? Even though I had a breakfast or two I wasn't impressed with, this is low on my list of things to talk about when rating a RESORT. The fact that they even had a vegetarian menu for my fiance is an automatic win in my book, but we all thought the food was grand. I say complainers are too myopic because I've noticed that all of the negative reviews tend to focus on one specific thing, rather than judging the merit of the whole experience. Overall, I felt that there was something for everyone, and that the resort values your being there.

Anyhow, my review: From day one this resort made myself and my family feel welcome. We came from temperatures of -20F or -12C to the beautiful area of Cancun, so it was a welcome break from winter. Regardless, I found that the service, facilities, and opportunities here were top notch. My fiance and I must have ordered room service at least 50 times, and each time the food was to die for. Between stopping at the desert bar, the beautifully kept beaches, the many food selections, the kayaking, the swimming, and the entertainment, there really wasn't a time where we felt we were "on our own". The resort would always provide for us, and the extras my family wanted to set up were planned to perfection by the resort. An example of the kind of resort this is: we went to a horse show that was about an hour away. Our driver started heading back. While at the show we were hit by a short but torrential rainstorm. Unbeknownst to us, the resort had been keeping an eye on the weather and communicating with our driver. They'd had him turn around mid-trip, so rather than being on our own in a questionable part of town, we were able to leave immediately after it was canceled. This is the type of thing they did for us throughout our entire trip. If I have one complaint, it's that the wireless internet was horrendous, essentially unusable. For some this may not be a bother, but don't expect to do any business online, or if you're an internet junkie like me you'll be having withdrawals. However, if you're spending all of your time online in a place like this, you ought to have your head checked. Oh, and one other thing: the rooms were NOT like Super 8 as one idiotic reviewer stated. I felt like I was staying in the Hilton all week with my jacuzzi and sink-in soft bed. Excellent! I'd go here again before trying anyplace new in Mexico!

One last thing: this is not a good place for alcoholics (not that we are--just sayin')! Since drinks were included, they plied us with them everywhere we went! Seriously, they keep the alcohol flowing. By the end of the week, I think everybody was boozed out. Lots of fun, but we're still recovering.

Room Tip: A few people had problems with their A/C. Call right away and they'll fix it. Also, just the nat...
Dulles, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

We just spent an entire week at Tres Rios, and were so happy with the resort, the food, the ammenities, and the care at the Kid's club during our stay that we are arleady planning another trip.

Star and Silvia were the primary people at the Kid's club that ensured my 8 year old daughter had a fantastic time. They did crafts, went kayaking with the kids, and spent time playing games at the beach and at the pool. They even created their own hand made pizza by the pool.

Next time, we will spend more time on our own and I know my daughter will be completely happy and cared for by the kid's club staff.

The rest of the resort is beautiful too. The food is super, not your typical stuff, but lobster dinner, steak by the pool, and something for everyone. We were happy and so were the kids.
As an all inclusive resort, even the drinks were included. We went kayaking, snorkling and biking too---all included!

The rooms are beautiful and ours included a roof-top private deck. A wonderful way to spend the morning, with the breeze, sunrise, and a view of the ocean from above the trees.

I highly recommend this resort. We cannot wait to return.

Room Tip: Some have the roof-top deck, some have a tub on the deck, higher up have a view over the trees. If...
Dear Guest:

Thank you for you nice comments. We know how important holidays are for our guests who visit us and we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay while you were with us and your daughter did as well at our Kids Club, next time you visit us remember there is a camping night at the kids club if you wish you can have a Luna Maya dinner by the moonlight.

We look forward to your next visit.

Been to Hacienda Tres Rios? Share your experiences!