“Dream Vacation with AMAZING Service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hacienda Tres Rios

Save Saved
You added Hacienda Tres Rios to your Saves list
Hacienda Tres Rios
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Cancun-Tulum, Km. 54, Playa del Carmen 77760, Mexico   |
Ranked #57 of 199 hotels in Playa del Carmen
Buffalo, New York
“Dream Vacation with AMAZING Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

My wife and I just got home from a glorious eight days at the Hacienda Tres Rios. From the moment we checked in, we were made to feel ridiculously welcome.

I have never been to a hotel where they bring you drinks while checking in, but it was a really sweet, nice touch. We asked if there was alcohol in there because my wife is pregnant--- they assured us there was no alcohol, and congratulated us non-stop.

From there, we were asked to take a seat to meet with our concierge and get the tour of the facility. Hector “The Protector” could not have taken better care of us. We got the entire layout of the facility, made sure we had a voucher to return back to the airport for the end of our trip, told us when all the best entertainment was going on around the hotel, booked activities for us, and made sure he wrote everything down for us in schedule format. We didn’t even get to accomplish all he laid out for us. During the week, I saw him as I was running in the hotel for a minute and he waved me over just to say hi. I asked him about doing snorkeling through their cenotes for a second time, and how much it would cost. He asked if I meant on-property. When I said yes, he said it was free, and he could get me in for 3 that afternoon. I said I wasn’t sure; I would need to check with my wife. He wrote the ticket and said, if you use it, great, and if not, no big deal. He really helped make the trip a total pleasure.

When they say all-inclusive, they do mean all-inclusive… I had a dopey misadventure only about an hour into our time at the hotel… When we were walking their natural pier, I was barefoot. I didn’t see a rock sticking out of the ground a little, and when I stepped down hard, I got spooked, spun around, and basically screwed my toe down into the porous rock. As I hobbled back, I told my wife I did not want to bleed through their lobby, so I would just wait at the Hacienda Grill. The lifeguard came and started to take care of me, but he saw I did too much damage. Their in-house medical guy (not a doctor, but kept encouraging me--- they would bring one) cleaned out all the sand, and bandaged me up really nicely. He told me to come back the next day and cleaned it all out again, re-bandaging. Every time he saw me around the resort, he checked to see how I was doing. The service did not cost me a penny.

Less than halfway through the trip, we were sitting around talking about who we are going to bring next time!

The food was spectacular. Every restaurant has its own unique and delicious flavor. The few times we had lunch, I loved the wood pizza. If it’s busy season, plan your time appropriately; it takes a bit of time--- but its worth it. For dinner, the Asian fusion restaurant has a Plantain Sushi that is fantastic! I think my second favorite restaurant was the Mexican restaurant. No matter where you go, the service will be spectacular. If I had any criticism about the food, it’s that the desserts were not especially delicious. There were good desserts, but not exceptionally delicious desserts. I think we were spoiled by their meals! The first floor buffet was really good for breakfast, but not extraordinarily special for lunch. The staff at all the restaurants took fantastic care of us. We only used room service a few times, but the food was enjoyable every time.

If you don’t speak Spanish, not to worry. Most of the staff is at least conversational in English. And if you make the effort to try to speak Spanish, they will help you.

The shows that we saw were all very entertaining. Sometimes a little kitsch, but that was part of the fun too. Their welcome show/dinner actually had a singing concert put on by teenagers where they performed in English, Spanish, and Chinese. Definitely fun to listen to, but try to avoid being right by the speakers. Music was a little loud where we sat. Also, make sure you catch the Mayan Dance Show. Truly great.

The beaches were wonderful. Sand was well maintained, and the view is gorgeous. If you go to the pool or the beach, your wait staff will be equally well attentive at getting you drinks. If you dont know what you want, just say I am looking for something like _____. They will bring you back something delicious. I highly recommend the Dirty Monkey (Mono Susio).

I can’t wait to come back and see the resort and all the great people again. We really were made to feel like we are a part of something special. Thanks for a lovely time at a beautiful destination.

Room Tip: Come and enjoy the trip. If your room isn't perfect, then get outside and enjoy all the service...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
DavidZCancun_Mexico, Manager at Hacienda Tres Rios, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Hacienda Tres Rios. It was our pleasure to be your host and we are glad to read you had such a wonderful time and were able to experience our warmness and Mexican hospitality which we have become known for.

Come back soon and live a Ya'ax che Spa experience where you can relax, refresh your mind, rejuvenate your body, and cleanse your soul to prepare for your upcoming baby.

2,610 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (538)
Mississauga, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

My husband and I spent a week at Hacienda Tres Ríos late in October. Not being the top tourist season, we had a most enjoyable holiday every single day: the facilities and service were impecable. We took advantage of the Spa and found it very accomodating to our needs. Every single person, from the booking to the therapists, treated us cordially and professionally (Angeles and Rosario, and 2 others whose names unfortunately escape me, thank you for the excellent service). Housekeeping was always diligent, our room was always in PERFECT condition (Martha Caamal Palomo deserves special mention), towels were plump, and the broken hairdryer was quickly replaced for a hand-held one. There is variety in the restaurants. I enjoyed Alebrije the most. The choice of tequilas was great and the micheladas by the pool, so refreshing. The buffet offered a good selection for those of us who prefer the more authentic Mexican flavours. The chefs, the waiters/waitresses were diligent in their duties, special mention to Anel Cahun for her warm hospitality. It comes to no surprise that people reciprocate when they are treated with respect and warm dignity. I enjoy vacationing in Mexico, finding that service seems to come across as genuine. I wouldn't hesitate coming back to this hotel and have higlhly recommended it to friends.

Room Tip: We asked for a room with ocean view, if possible. We just got a peek of it, but for the price, it wa...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest:

Thank you for sharing your experience at Hacienda Tres Rios. We are delighted to read you enjoyed your stay with us so much and will come back.

Next time you visit us remember to take the Segway Experience and see the nature park, nursery and beach on this two-wheeled self-balancing battery-powered electric vehicle.

Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

We found the wait staff in the restaurants to be very attentive and we received excellent service. We also loved the different cloth animals and flowers left in our room - it was fantastic!

We want to sincerely thank 2 very extraordinary people at the resort who made our Christmas vacation feel very special - Leydi at the Sports Bar and Sammy who oversees the resort staff - this man seems to be "everywhere all the time". Each time throughout our stay these people greeted us with warm smiles and kind words. It felt like old friends from home.

We stayed at HTR last November and briefly had the pleasure of meeting Sammy. We were pleasantly surprised when we arrived at the resort around dinner time last week and Sammy instantly recognized us and was off and running to ensure that we had a table for dinner at Porto Bello "after such a long trip". On another evening, during one of our conversations with Sammy, we told him that we were going to Casa Las Islas for the buffet dinner. Sammy asked us to meet him in the lobby before going to dinner - we did - and what a surprise!!! He had arranged for a private table for 2 to be set up in a very romantic enclosed area by the wine cellar. We couldn't have been more pleased or surprised. That man is amazing!

We also had the pleasure of meeting Leydi at the Sports Bar. She was very friendly, personable and efficient - we couldn't help but love her! Our drinks were always on the table even before we asked. She even suggested a few "special" drinks that became favorites. We will miss her and look forward to seeing her next year!

Thanks again Sammy and Leydi - you made our stay special!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest:

Thank your for your nice comments, specially on our staff which we are very proud of. We are glad to read you were able to experience our Mexican hospitality and enjoyed the property.

Next time you visit us, remember to experience the Chef’s Table. A 7-course dinner in the Chef’s private kitchen.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012 via mobile

We stayed for 7 days and Leydi in the sports bar was AMAZING!!! She made us feel so comfortable and was so great and friendly with her service! My boyfriend and I went back several times to see her. The beach was beautiful, the pizza bat could have better service .

• Stayed December 2012
Dear Guest:

Thank you for you comments. We know how important holidays are for our guest and we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us, furthermore we are happy to hear our team assisted you in having a memorable vacation experience. Like us on facebook for further information on our events, products and services.

It will be our pleasure to be your host again.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012 via mobile

Over priced, under delivered. In it's first year the sales pitch of endless luxury sounded good. However with time and hard use the facility is showing its age. Seems ownership is unwilling to invest in maintaining the property to its former 3 1/2 star level and it has slipped to 2 star at best. The food quality is significantly lower than past years, no robes in the rooms anymore, no Internet to speak of, no US TV stations, mattresses need replacing, towels getting thin.

• Stayed December 2012
La Mesa, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

Spent a wonderful Christmas week at Hacienda Tres Rios. The staff makes you feel special all the time. The variety of food and restaurants and all the activities included help make the stay there very relaxing and special. This was our fourth trip to Hacienda Tres Rios since 2008. We did swim with the dolphins, visit Chicken Itza,and Fifth Ave in Playa del Carmen this trip but with the cenotes, kyaking, snorkeling,bicycling and other activities, one trip, we didn't leave the resort as we were too busy with the resort actiivites. The Kids Club helped my 8 year old granddaughter feel that her time there was so special with the activities that including games on the beach, swimming the cenotes, kyaking, crafts, making pizza for lunch, decorating cookies. She didn't want to leave the resort. The photographer there also took pictures of their activities so she has those for her photo album. She would spend most of her day at the Kids Club so we adults had our own time to enjoy without worrying about her. We had the two bedroom master suite and junior suite combination with a roof top retreat and it was luxurious. The service is great everywhere, even on the beach. A special treat for our granddaughter was to see Santa and his elves on the beach on Christmas Day...even for us as we had never had the experience of seeing Santa on a tropical beach. Our only disappointment was that the trees around the pool areas blocked what had been a beautiful view of the pool areas and palm trees to the beach from the balconies of the rooms. Hacienda Tres Rios is a place for a wonderful, luxurious nature park experience.

Room Tip: Rooms on the third floor of buildings have a better view to the beach and water.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest:

Thank you your nice comments. We are delighted to read that you have been visiting us every year since our opening and it is always a pleasure to be your host.

Next time you visit us remember to try our Temazcal Experience. An ancient steam bath with curative and therapeutic benefits which have been used in Mexico for centuries.

We look forward to your next visit.
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

My family and I, really loved the service at Tres Rios. It is surrounded by natural beauty. The residents always protrect nature and the tourists. It was the best vacation we had.Tres Rios has three cenotes (fresh underground water). A jungle surrounds the hotel. The sea is warm and clear, many fishes can be seen when snorkeling. The island of Conzumel is a barrier to minimize strong waves. The hotel provides transportation. Ask concierge for additional info.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest:

Thank you for sharing your comments. We are delighted to read you were able to experience what Tres Rios Nature Park has to offer. Please follow us on facebook for year-round information on the resort like events and awards. The nature park has 326 acres of pristine tropical rainforests intersected by three winding freshwater rivers, decorated by ten fascinating cenotes (cave-like sinkholes with natural wells), home to 120 species of plants and 90 species of animals. It is the only nature park in the Yucatan Peninsula that includes three distinct ecosystems: jungle, mangrove forest and coastal dunes.

Next time you visit us remember to experience a Ya'ax che Spa Treatment and achieve a feeling of wellbeing and health, leaving behind the stress of everyday life.

Been to Hacienda Tres Rios? Share your experiences!