My wife and I just got home from a glorious eight days at the Hacienda Tres Rios. From the moment we checked in, we were made to feel ridiculously welcome.
I have never been to a hotel where they bring you drinks while checking in, but it was a really sweet, nice touch. We asked if there was alcohol in there because my wife is pregnant--- they assured us there was no alcohol, and congratulated us non-stop.
From there, we were asked to take a seat to meet with our concierge and get the tour of the facility. Hector “The Protector” could not have taken better care of us. We got the entire layout of the facility, made sure we had a voucher to return back to the airport for the end of our trip, told us when all the best entertainment was going on around the hotel, booked activities for us, and made sure he wrote everything down for us in schedule format. We didn’t even get to accomplish all he laid out for us. During the week, I saw him as I was running in the hotel for a minute and he waved me over just to say hi. I asked him about doing snorkeling through their cenotes for a second time, and how much it would cost. He asked if I meant on-property. When I said yes, he said it was free, and he could get me in for 3 that afternoon. I said I wasn’t sure; I would need to check with my wife. He wrote the ticket and said, if you use it, great, and if not, no big deal. He really helped make the trip a total pleasure.
When they say all-inclusive, they do mean all-inclusive… I had a dopey misadventure only about an hour into our time at the hotel… When we were walking their natural pier, I was barefoot. I didn’t see a rock sticking out of the ground a little, and when I stepped down hard, I got spooked, spun around, and basically screwed my toe down into the porous rock. As I hobbled back, I told my wife I did not want to bleed through their lobby, so I would just wait at the Hacienda Grill. The lifeguard came and started to take care of me, but he saw I did too much damage. Their in-house medical guy (not a doctor, but kept encouraging me--- they would bring one) cleaned out all the sand, and bandaged me up really nicely. He told me to come back the next day and cleaned it all out again, re-bandaging. Every time he saw me around the resort, he checked to see how I was doing. The service did not cost me a penny.
Less than halfway through the trip, we were sitting around talking about who we are going to bring next time!
The food was spectacular. Every restaurant has its own unique and delicious flavor. The few times we had lunch, I loved the wood pizza. If it’s busy season, plan your time appropriately; it takes a bit of time--- but its worth it. For dinner, the Asian fusion restaurant has a Plantain Sushi that is fantastic! I think my second favorite restaurant was the Mexican restaurant. No matter where you go, the service will be spectacular. If I had any criticism about the food, it’s that the desserts were not especially delicious. There were good desserts, but not exceptionally delicious desserts. I think we were spoiled by their meals! The first floor buffet was really good for breakfast, but not extraordinarily special for lunch. The staff at all the restaurants took fantastic care of us. We only used room service a few times, but the food was enjoyable every time.
If you don’t speak Spanish, not to worry. Most of the staff is at least conversational in English. And if you make the effort to try to speak Spanish, they will help you.
The shows that we saw were all very entertaining. Sometimes a little kitsch, but that was part of the fun too. Their welcome show/dinner actually had a singing concert put on by teenagers where they performed in English, Spanish, and Chinese. Definitely fun to listen to, but try to avoid being right by the speakers. Music was a little loud where we sat. Also, make sure you catch the Mayan Dance Show. Truly great.
The beaches were wonderful. Sand was well maintained, and the view is gorgeous. If you go to the pool or the beach, your wait staff will be equally well attentive at getting you drinks. If you dont know what you want, just say I am looking for something like _____. They will bring you back something delicious. I highly recommend the Dirty Monkey (Mono Susio).
I can’t wait to come back and see the resort and all the great people again. We really were made to feel like we are a part of something special. Thanks for a lovely time at a beautiful destination.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Luxury and sustainability create unforgettable vacation experiences at Hacienda Tres Rios, an all-inclusive resort located in the heart of the Riviera Maya. Nestled in a 326 acre pristine nature park, this natural paradise boasts three fresh water rivers and 10 cenotes (natural occurring sinkholes) and is home to over 90 species of fauna and 120 species of flora. Hacienda Tres Rios resort brings together luxurious accommodations, gourmet dining and a wealth of activities on the shores of the spectacular Caribbean Sea in the Riviera Maya.The resort's 273 spacious suites feature a modern design inspired by the Mexican hacienda style. Each suite features 300 thread-count Egyptian cotton linens, extra thick luxury mattresses and a pillow menu. Most suites also have a Jacuzzi for two and spectacular views of the Caribbean Sea. Designed to ensure you never run out of dining choices, Hacienda Tres Ríos resort offers countless options; private dining alternatives, a sommelier (wine steward), 24-hour room service and a variety of specialty restaurants ranging in taste from Italian and Mexican to French and Asian cuisine. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, BookIt.com, Travelocity, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Jetsetter, TripOnline SA, Otel, Orbitz, Priceline, Despegar.com, Agoda, Low Cost Holidays and Odigeo so you can book your Hacienda Tres Rios reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hacienda Tres Rios Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Hacienda Tres Rios Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico