“Thanksgiving at Hacienda Tres Rios” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hacienda Tres Rios

Save Saved
You added Hacienda Tres Rios to your Saves list
Hacienda Tres Rios
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Cancun-Tulum, Km. 54, Playa del Carmen 77760, Mexico   |
Ranked #54 of 199 hotels in Playa del Carmen
Albany, California
“Thanksgiving at Hacienda Tres Rios”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

We spent Thanksgiving week at Tres Rios and had a great time. We especially enjoyed the on-property recreational activities that included snorkeling and kayaking down one of Tres Rios' rivers, the Sensory Adventure, biking, and the Segway trip. The recreational staff appeared to enjoy what they were doing and were informative and courteous. They would go the extra mile to make sure my family, ranging in age from 75 to 10 years, were taken care of. The restaurant staff, including Luis Gregorio, Luis de la Curz and Erika Morio, were wonderful. Meals at the more formal restaurants took longer than expected (up to two hours). Not sure if this was due to a back up in the kitchen or low serving staff ratio. The Hacienda Grill was the best dinner we had on the property. I would recommend a stay here.

Room Tip: Do the Sedway tour, kayak down the river and snorkel in the ocean. La Bonita snorkel and dive servic...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

2,596 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (536)
Livermore, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

Our family of four visited Hacienda Tres Rios over the Thanksgiving break. We're not frequent travelers, so this was our first such trip with our kids (11 and 13). We had been to Mexico just once before, for our honeymoon in Cozumel many years ago. Suffice to say that we were all looking forward to this trip.

I discovered HTR when shopping on Costco's travel site and liked the sound of the Eco-park setting for the vacation. When I was ready to book, the HTR package disappeared from Costco's site, so I ended up booking directly with HTR. I asked the lady in reservations (Maria Sandoval) specifically about transportation to/from the airport and she assured me that it was included and that someone would be waiting for me at the airport. Well, that didn't happen and I ended up paying the $50USD to get to the resort. Combine this with all the "helpful" folks at the Cozumel airport trying to offer you a ride, this wasn't a great start. Not terrible, but a little frustrating. I did find that transportation is included for members - our first exposure to differences between "renters" and "members".

The "presentation" - As part of the check-in process, we were given the intro information from a concierge, including the invitation to the "promotional presentation". Of course, this is the offer to become a private member of HTR and the Sunset group. The presentation was described as 90 minutes with no high pressure sales. I doubted the high pressure part of that statement, but decided to take them up on it for some free tour tickets. Even though we were clear that our vacation budget precluded us investing in anything they had to offer, it still took 3 hours to get through the third layer of sales pressure before we finally left. Fortunately, it was a rainy day... not sure we would have stuck around so long if the weather were nicer. It was clear to me, however, that if we got up and left the "presentation" prematurely, the "gifts" would not be awarded.

Service - generally service at the resort was very good and staff was attentive. The grounds were also very clean. Don't be in a hurry if you're going to the Mexican, Asian or Italian restaurants. Chances are you'll be in there for at least a couple of hours. The food was good, though. The kids did struggle a bit to find something on the menus, as many of the dishes and ingredients were not what they're used to.

Transportation - while at the hotel, you're a long way from the gate at the highway, so using the affordable bus service is not really an option. Taking a taxi into Playa del Carmen was $200 pesos. If you mostly just want to hang out at the resort, there's no problem, but you have other plans, just know that there's some distance between HTR and any other activities.

Bugs & Critters - the coatis (racoon-like animals) were not a problem at all. They are there, but they were not a nuisance. By the time we left, I had lots of little red bites all over my body. As I didn't feel anything biting me while I was awake, I do think that they are from bed bugs. That's no good, and unfortunately, something that folks will be asking about when I go back to work when they see the little red marks.

Tours - we did the bike, kayak and snorkeling tours within the resort. All were fun. Not a lot of fish to see in the river, but it was still enjoyable. We also did the brand new Segway tour that started just this week for an extra $20USD per person. This was terrific and everyone really enjoyed it.

Overall, the trip was OK. If we were to return to the area next year, I would look for a different place to stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Westford, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

We were at the Hacienda Tres Rios from November 3rd - November 17th, 2012. Our experience started with Cori at the front desk what can you say about a young woman who makes you feel like you are the most special guests at the resort. The next morning we were greeted by Veronica, Hostess at the breakfast buffet, what a smile and pleasant personaility. Our first, and soon to be our breakfast and lunch waiter was Gregorio. He took such good care of us and again made us feel very special at each meal. Carlos Picihardo, ran the buffet room is a professional and pleasant manner. Miguel Cutz was our evening waiter at the Hacienda Grille, funny, pleasant and so professional. There was nothing we asked for that we did not get. This is the way to run a 5 star resort! Sammy, I swear ran the entire service staff. He was everywhere and always happy to see you and to make sure we were completely happy.

The rooms were huge and beautiful. Our 2 bedroom had 3 balconies and 3 bathrooms and so much room. The beds were the best we had ever slept on. The pillow menu guarantees you a great nights sleep. The master bedroom had an inroom jacuzzi, very nice!

The hard sell for their "vacation club" was something I hope I never go through again. It was 4 hours and the pressure was mentally painful. So our advice to you, please visit this beautiful resort with it's incredible service staff, but refuse the sales tour unless you are truly in the market to purchase.

The pool was cool but salt water and very refreshing. As beach people, we were disappointed with the beach and the muck in the water. It was not that beautiful 4 color blue/green Caribean Ocean I so looked forward to seeing. That being said, we did take the shuttle to a sister resort, The Fisherman, and found the perfect beach!

Room Tip: All rooms have views.
Brampton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

We just came back from Mexico a couple of weeks ago (beginning of November) and stayed at this resort. First and foremost, the staff there was incredible. They made us feel very welcome and they were very friendly. We got to know them well throughout the week and we had a great time with them doing various activities. As soon as we stepped foot in the resort, they were very accommodating. The bell boys (especially Alfredo) was hilarious! The cleaning staff did their jobs very well and our room was always left in pristine condition. We especially liked all little extras that they would leave on our bed :) I wish I could remember all of the names of the activities staff and bar staff that we encountered because they made our week there very enjoyable :)

There were many activities to do at the resort (all inclusive) including snorkeling, kayaking, nature walks etc. I wish we had taken more advantage of this, but we did get to enjoy some of them. Kayaking in the cenotes (naturally formed bodies of water) at the resort was amazing and of course seeing the pictures that they took of us afterward was great too.

There were 6 restaurants available (all inclusive). The best one by far according to both me and my boyfriend was the Asian fusion. There was also an Italian (which was hit or miss depending on what you ordered), Mexican (which I liked), Grille Place (that was amazing too!), Pizza Place (great for lunch), and International Buffet (open for breakfast, lunch and dinner). There was also a little cafe there that served coffee/espresso and little desserts. We LOVED this cafe and the coffee was awesome. Lastly, there was a sports pub which had a pool table available and tv's showing sporting events (for the men). Oh, and I can't forget to mention room service!! It was free and and available 24/7 -- came in very handy for some late night snacks and drinks!!!

Our room was pretty good, other than the fact we got two double beds and not one king size, but we made due and we didn't really spend too much time in our room. The bell boy said that we could put a request in the next morning for a king size bed but we were fine. We could have pushed the beds together if it really bothered us. We didn't have much of a view...it was the jungle, lol, but again, we didn't spend too much time in our room. I have to mention the shower because it was huge! The water pressure wasn't the greatest, but other than that, the features of the room were very nice. I like that the toilet was separated from the sink too.

One of the only downsides with this resort that we noticed is that the general guest age range was much older. However, there was a good mix of younger people too. We wish that they could have catered to a bit of a younger crowd (30's). It's not like we wanted to see clubs there, but at night, the resort got pretty quiet and we wish that they had more entertainment so we didn't have to leave the resort. They did have some good entertainment however, like a beach party with a buffet and a live band, a circus/acrobatic night, a traditional Mayan dance night, a welcome night with vendors and food, karoake night, organized volleyball games and some drink tasting in the pub. But for the most part, these activities ended pretty early and then we were left to just roam around or leave the resort to find something to do. Also, the pub was the latest thing that was open, which was only till 1am and there wasn't too much to do in there besides drink and watch sports, lol.

Overall though, I really enjoyed myself. The resort was kept in great condition and it had a very comfortable feel to it. The natural jungle was amazing to see and we even got to see some animals that lived there. I would definitely recommend this resort to anyone traveling to Mexico.

Room Tip: Try not to stay on the first level. There's always a lot of traffic and noise from other guests...
Moorhead, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

I work in the hospitality industry and this place was so welcoming, the staff was amazing! They always wanted you to have the best possible time, offering their services constantly. Always welcomed us with a smile, and a conversation. Food was impressive, everything was clean and spotless. The detail of the stonework, and grounds was outstanding. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone going to Mexico.

Room Tip: We stayed in the 2 bedroom suite, 1001/1002 great corner room with a beautiful view of the ocean gre...
Evanston, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

I so wish I could give this place 5 stars because the place really would deserve a very high rating, if it weren't for the bed bugs that have left my gf and i with little red souvenirs all over our bodies. I am certain that when the itching dies down, all we will be left with is memories of the delicious food at all the restaurants on the property, beautiful mangrove cove and ever-pleasant staff. The entertainment could also use an upgrade. We have been to some resorts, like Dreams in Punta Cana, where the nightly entertainment is almost Cirque d'Soleil level (no kidding!). While the Michael Jackson show was nice, I've seen better entertainment at my daughter's high school.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Springfield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Our experience from the checking on our reservation on room request with Customer Service MGR. Jose Axel was not only confirmed but exceeded our expectations from the moment we arrived but thruout the whole 7 days of our stay!!!!!!
We were also blessed by Mgr.David Martinez who turned a 70th BD celebration at The Chefs Table Dinner from a non event because of communication error into a celebration of the best meal of my 70 years traveling all over the world!!!!! Those who made this possible along with David were Nesero Francisco who was both entertaining and accomplished in choice of wines and meal presentation.Ezequie Chef Israel choice of courses, preparation and presentation were only exceede by the gastronomic experience!!!!!!!
Another special meal prepared for us to make up for the inconvience of having to wait on Chef Table Dinner was at the Portabello by Samuel Gabriela and chef Israel again above and beyond service and meal!!!!!!
Our week was also made terriffic my Concierge and owners update staff Patricia Carlos and Regina

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hacienda Tres Rios? Share your experiences!