“A Trip To Paradise” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hacienda Tres Rios

You added Hacienda Tres Rios to your Saves list
Hacienda Tres Rios
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Cancun-Tulum, Km. 54, Playa del Carmen 77760, Mexico   |
Ranked #67 of 201 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Niagara Falls, Canada
“A Trip To Paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2011

The Haciendas Tres Rios was a vacation to remember. My wife and our friends were treated with high quality service from the time we arrived and met our valet, Orlando. We were introduced to a studio bedroom, the bathroom was huge and the beds luxurious. My wife requested extra pillows and were given orthopedic side sleeping pillows. We had dinner at the Mexican Restaurant with our waiter Armando who was excellent.

The three pools were clean and encircled with palm trees and service was not an issue with our servers, Jorge, Cristan, and Ignacious. All were polite and worked hard to provide excellent service. We had breakfast daily at the pool bar cafe and Claudia ensured service was top quality.

I recommend everyone take advantage of the on sight tours. Mira and Jennifer provided an educational bike tour of the Cenotes and snorkeling down the pristine river of this nature reserve. We venture to the Mayan Ruins of Tulum which were amazing then off to Playa del
Carmen. The Mexican people were friendly and welcoming. The highlight of the vacation was the Secret River Tour, it was an enlightening experience with our guide Pablo.

Have dinner at the chef's table with Chef Oscar it will be an event.

My wife loved that she was part of the ecosystem were a river flowed right out front of our rooms and we could watch the iguanas and our two buddies Pancho and Mauritizio who area cross between a racoon and anteater.

Love it can't wait to return to paradise.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (706)
Calabash, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2011

If you read my other recent reviews of Hard Rock Punta Cana and Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya you should probably conclude I’m a fair and balanced reviewer. Doing so with Hacienda Tresrios (HT) will be difficult.
Wife and I are Palace Resort members, which pretty much defines our expected level of resort quality. While I wouldn’t consider us food snobs, we do expect tasty, well presented food and prefer quality over quantity. After reading reviews of HT we went to HT with expectations of a five star experience. We received far less.
First, the resort is nicely laid out. Many rooms face the ocean and in our second floor room we had a great view of the blue sea and all the wonderful pelicans that circled the beach. The maids were excellent, relentlessly working to clean the rooms at a breakneck speed. Ours was especially good and tried hard to meet our schedule and she was grateful for a tip of a mere $2 a day. Beds are very comfortable with clean sheets and duvets.
Booze is a good deal – kind of. The wines at dinner were drinkable and probably were of a better quality and selection than the gratis wines at the Palace Resorts we’ve stayed at and the Valentin. I’m a vodka drinker and prefer quality vodka for taste when neat and for purity when mixed. They have both Stoli and Gray Goose. I was in heaven until I tried to get a drink at the Pool bar/Grill. The short, stout bartender told me he didn’t have either brand on several occasions. As a result I had inferior vodka in my Bloody Mary’s and got a corresponding headache – not good. One day Chef Oscar (more on him later) walked by and remembered me from the tequila tasting that he conducted (very informative – liked it a lot). As we talked I asked him why the Pool/Grill bar was the only bar that didn’t carry a premium vodka. He replied that all bars did and asked the short/stout bartender if he had any. The bartender sheepishly pulled a bottle of Gray Goose from the cooler from where he was hiding it. I was livid and asked the bartender if he hadn’t told me that day that he didn’t have any and he admitted that he had and he subsequently admitted to doing the same thing on other occasions. Chef Oscar gave him some strong sounding words in Spanish and then turned to me and apologized. He told me that their motto is to “never say no”. How I wished it were as true in reality as it was when he said it.
Chef Oscar is a great guy and you will see him all over the grounds day and night checking on the operations. He is sincere and wants to deliver a great dining experience. Unfortunately he can’t get it done by himself and some of the people doing the front line stuff aren’t doing their job. This is where the food review starts.
Room service is fast and the food arrives as you want it - very good. The eggs Benedict, shrimp plates and even the hamburgers are pretty good at the Grill. We had our lobster prepared at the Grill and it was tasty – not like Maine but better than most tails I’ve had. Pizza was tasty first time we had it and inedible the second. Buffet foods are bland and uninteresting. No carving stations or any specialties like most good AI resorts have. There even seems to be a disconnect with something as simple as salad. There were wonderfully fresh frisee greens to make a salad and not a tomato, cucumber or celery nearby to accompany it – what a shame. I do need to mention however, that the people who work at the buffet are excellent and will get you special requests if you ask – I just think having to ask for simple things is a pain.
Calling the Asian restaurant Asian should be against the law. The menu has hints of Asian cuisine but is far from being close to Asian tasting foods. The tuna steak I ordered was served looking like two gray 1/8 inch boneless pork chops and had no taste at all. The Italian restaurant had one or two entrees worth eating but the selection was anemic at best. We only went to the Mexican for lunch and the lunch buffet was better than the one at the main buffet restaurant. Funny thing is that no one tells anybody that the Mexican restaurant is open for lunch and the lack of eater’s results in the same foods being offered the following day. All in all the food is hit and miss and mediocre at best. Every time we thought we had a decent meal the next one just soured us again.
Probably the most disturbing thing about the resort is that the communication is horrible!! The HT website states that the Victory Sports Bar opens daily at 3 PM, however, it opens usually at 5 PM or 12 PM or when there is a meeting or whatever time they want. Go to the desk and the concierge will tell you the bar is open but when you go in the bartender tells you they are closed until 5 PM. Want to watch a game – forget it – “we no have channel changer”. Soccer only most times.
After I inadvertently discovered the Mexican restaurant being open for lunch I told my wife. She went to the concierge to confirm it and he told her it was not open. She asked another time and was told no again even after we ate lunch there. My wife told Chef Oscar and he grabbed the concierge and verified the disconnect. Then there are the different hours and dress codes on the published handouts. I still have them. The handout states casual dress and the website states formal – the places deserve formal as much as a McDonald’s does. One states the place closes at 11 PM and the Spanish one states 8 PM. This is a fundamental breakdown in the resort that is unacceptable. Chef Oscar doesn’t even have responsibility for some of it but there is no one else to speak to. The people at the desk are useless and there are no management people visible.
Getting near the end, a brief word about the Nature Park. Joke. That’s as brief and accurate as I can be. It consists of a dirt road framed by the densest mangroves that prohibit anyone from seeing further than ten feet and not a creature was seen – no iguana’s, coati’s, nada. The cenote is a clear pool of water with suckers swimming on the bottom – no tropical fish – nada. People get out after snorkeling with quizzical looks on their faces – like, why did I do that.
And finally, the Green Experience! They overuse the expression so much that you have to begin to disbelieve them. Then you see things like the Cheech and Chong characters who were driving out of the Nature Park as our tour cart was driving in. In an attempt to get out of our way these guys backed their beat up gas guzzling old pickup truck and in doing so backed into several trees thus skinning off enough bark to probably kill some. They laughed all the time. Then there was the waiter carrying a full tray of thirty or more glasses from one restaurant to another. As he passed the entrance to the resort lobby two or three glasses fell off and shattered on the marble floor. He kept walking and delivered the glasses and then just stepped over the broken glass as he went on to another assignment. There was an area of around twenty square feet just covered with glass shards with little kids running around barefoot. Finally two resort employees came upon the mess and called someone to clean it. One was dressed in black so I thought, like Oscar, he was in management. So I told him what happened and how the area was left with broken glass for several minutes and his eyes just glazed over and he walked away. I don’t see any of this as “Being Responsible” so why would they be responsible to the environment.
That’s how we see it. I’d never go back.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Winnipeg, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2011

Almost from start to finish this place delivered. From Chef Oscar to the waiters ie: Jesus in the Terrazo sport bar area to Ramon the buffet waiter,to Alphonso the Asian restaurant waiter, to Claudia the pool side restaurant Hostess, everyone was on there game. the service all around in all areas, around the pool, at the wood fired pizza place etc was excellent. Even though they said they were close to full ( hard to believe )there were chairs and umbrellas to be had at any time of day around the pools. The only people that know how to mess up your stay are the time share people. Try to avoid them as much as possible,( believing them is also difficult ) and you will have a great time.
My wife and I did. Will return again to see if they are continuing on with there plans.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Kitscoty, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2011

You really can't complain about anything at Tres Rios. If you're looking for fun, relaxation, good food, quiet rooms with super comfy beds, it's all there. We've had family go for the past three years and wanted to see if it lived up to their compliments!
The food was unbelievable, anything you want, any time of the day. The rooms are clean, comfortable and very large and the staff was so accomodating and friendly with everything we did.
The resort itself is in such a beautiful location. You can swim/snorkel in the cenotes, ocean or the pools. The beaches are cleaned and combed daily and have the most comfortable beds on them to relax on. The night shows are great and the efficiency to get us to our excursions, the airport etc. was impressive.
We will be back with more of our family. Awesome place!!!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
new york
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2011

I just came back from the Hacienda Tres Rios in Riviera Maya with my 22 year old daughter and another girlfriend.
The good:
The hotel was immaculate as well as the grounds,
the room was clean and very spacious, the pools were also beautiful and we never had a problem getting chairs at any time of the day,
We enjoyed all of the restaurants and found the food above the standards of an all inclusive, They also used top shelf liquor.
The staff were pleasant and helpful but had some language barriers
The bad:
The hotel had a beautiful large lobby but did not have a nice lobby bar, just a lot of couches. There was a sports bar that had a small door that led to a very small bar area that was in the corner of the lobby and that was it. A lot of people we spoke to were also disappointed at the small bar area. There was very little entertainment at night. We really had nothing to do at night and ended up in our room at 10 or 11 pm every night.
If you are looking for turquoise beach water, this is not the place. The water is a coffee color. We took a cab to the sister hotel The Fisherman in Playa Del Carmen. There the beach was one of the most beautiful I have been to.
So to wrap it up, although I thought the hotel was beautiful I would not return for the above reasons.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
Calgary, AB
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2011

My wife and I recently stayed at this hotel for four nights. We had several issues that kept building until our final straw the last night. On the last day of our stay we visited Playa Del Carmen for the day, and upon returning to our cleaned room in the evening my wife discovered a pair of dirty ladies underwear that did not belong to us beside our bed on the floor. We were disgusted and concerned. We did not know how they got there, and thought that perhaps someone had been in our room. I immediately called the front desk to inform them of the situation and they sent someone to the room. Ten minutes later, still no one had arrived. I then received a phone call from the operator informing me that I needed to take the "privacy please" sign off the door knob so that the concierge could knock. Really?!?! I called you to tell you there is a problem, and you came all the way to the room, saw the sign, and turned around and went back to the desk? That is incredibly ridiculous and embarrassing to your service. Finally, the gentlemen came in, "surveyed the situation" and removed the item and apologized.

We went to bed, angry, and disgusted.

We checked out the following morning, and upon receiving our bill I inquired about what would be done to resolve the issue and what type of compensation the hotel would offer from this glaring problem. The front desk staff looked through the concierge log book from the evening before, and found no indication of the incident. Therefore, there is no proof (beyond my word) that it ever happened. I fought this for a short time, and was asked to fill out a comment card. I did this, and told them that I would never recommend this hotel. I was told I would be contacted about the situation after a manager could review it. Suffice to say - I have not heard from anyone over a week later.

My main issue is that I was treated as though I was lying, and that I had to leap through hoops in order to get an apology or even a sniff of compensation (still nothing). Customer service is key in this industry, and you have proved that you hold no value in your customers experience. This situation could have been easily resolved. I felt disrespected and did not appreciate the resistance from your staff to rectify the situation.

This will not be the final review I submit, and as a result I hope you appreciate the value of your customers input now.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2011

My wife and I spent four nights at Hacienda Tres Rios and we never left the resort. For a longer vacation, or one with kids, Tres Rios might have been a bit too remote or slow-paced. For us, looking for a quiet getaway, Hacienda Tres Rios was perfect.

All the staff at Tres Rios were friendly and extremely helpful, and some were exceptionally so. This was clearly the result of good people and good training.

The food, while not the finest we've ever had, was flavorful, varied, and well-prepared. The Mexican cuisine (no surprise) and steak were the best items to be had, in our opinion, while the Asian restaurant needs a re-think. No qualms about the booze, either.

Finally, the facilities were, on the whole, very nice. We asked for an upgrade to an ocean view and felt it was worth the price, but the whole resort is pleasantly quiet and not too terribly large. The one downside, as mentioned in several other posts, really is the beach - it's truly subpar. We were easily contented with the great pools and jacuzzi in the room.

We look forward to going back!

Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Hacienda Tres Rios? Share your experiences!