“exelent hotel with a very friendly staff” 4 of 5 stars

Playalingua Dorms
Playalingua Dorms
Calle 20, 10a avenida, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
den bosch
“exelent hotel with a very friendly staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

We have stayed here 3 nights and I was very pleased with this hotel! I had quite a problems with my Esta-Declaration and the staff has helped me very well here. And the problem is resolved. They have even though hours time has gone into! They had very porfessional resolved. And they were very friendly!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

29 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2012

I did enjoy my staying in Playalingua, the accomodation is basic but the place is clean and the staff is very friendly and accomodating!

it is true that it can be quite noisy at night due to the bar next to the hotel but I was so tired that I felt asleep without any problems every evening!

If you are on a budget this place is for you!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Portland Maine
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2011

It's really a shame that I can't recommend this as a place to stay. It operates both as a hotel and as a residence for students at the Playalingua language school. There are many positives, including a delicious breakfast, great and friendly staff, location close to beach and La Quinta, even a nice little pool. There is really only one big problem and that is frequent loud noise from the large hotel, Reyna Roja, next door. Some nights it was a throbbing base line. One morning at five am it was a loud party on the terrace. If you can fall asleep no matter what, or you stay up really late partying, or your hearing is not what it used to be, you may be OK. Some nights there is no problem at all, weekends seem to be the worst. Four or five nights out of a two week stay I took a sleeping pill and slept Ok, but without the pills it could have been grim. For a night or two early in the week, ok. Despite the many things I liked I can't recommend it, because sleep is important.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2010

I really enjoyed my time at Playalingua. Sergio was a great teacher, and really took time to help me with my weaknesses. I agree with some reviews that sometimes lessons had conversation rather than grammar, however that's what I needed. I've been studying Spanish in London for a year at night school and the main thing I needed was confidence to speak! My teacher was prepared for each lesson and even gave me homework! Ha ha! I also loved the fact that it was all under one roof. All the staff were amazing - a real credit to the school. Juan, the breakfast chef, was friendly and made great pancakes and scrammbled eggs! Juanita, the chambermaid, serviced the rooms 6 days a week and always spent time to leave a beautiful towel design on the bed. The garden is watered and pruned daily by Emilo, who is quite shy but nice. The two security guards, Jorge and Abel, were absolutely charming! Chatting everyday, and always on the door (the door is locked at night for security). Caro is lovely - very helpful with information by e-mail, and also offered for me to have dinner with her in case I was alone. Very sweet. Claire helped with tour information too. Every member of the team made my stay even better. I must tell you all that I'm an Operations Manager of a top London hotel in Kensington, so I know what I'm talking about, and I really appreciated the efforts of the team at Playalingua.

Concerning the comments about cancelling early and not receiving a refund - that is standard in most establishments. Playalingua is not a world-wide chain that can afford to dish out refunds. This should be understood. It should also be understood that this is not the Ritz, so don't expect it.

It is true that there is a bar next door which plays loud music, however, it didn't bother me in the slightest. It was just background music to me. As soon as my head hit the pillow, I was out like a light. Comfortable bed and nice room. (I chose to book a double for sole for more space - only £7 a day difference). The shower takes a couple of minutes to heat up, but that's fine.

As I went during quiet season, there weren't many students, but that was a bonus as I ended up having 4 hours private tuition a day! They could have put us in two classes, but all four of us had our own teacher - that's good. I also made great friends at the school and with a couple of locals. As the area was not packed with tourists, the local workers had time (and the patience) to speak with me. The area is great. The beach is five minutes away, loads of restaurants and places to go. Movies on the beach too. The drinks are pricey in Playa del Carmen - cocktails similar to London prices - but just go to the shop before hand. Great trips like swimming with turtles in Akumal and visiting Chichen Itza available too. I used the Collectivo rather than a taxi - much cheaper and the way the locals travel. If you like fresh fish, eat the tacos at Captain Cameron (on Calle 28, I think?) - they're great!

I really would love to be able to chat away in Spanish (fluently!), and I believe this trip has helped me a great deal toward achieving my goal - more practice needed though! I hope to return soon!

I could write more, but I think that'll do!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
Hanoi, Vietnam
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2010

I'm sincerely amazed to read some negative comments on Playalingua, both as a school and as a hotel. I've been there for four months, with the original plan to spend only few weeks, and i regret that at some point had to come back to real life and get back to Europe.
The school is simply great. All the teachers are nice and friendly, especially if you actually try to learn Spanish! I've been amazed by the cultural richness that Mexico has to offer, and it would have not been so if i hadn't been taught by Playalingua teachers. The staff of the school had been like a second family to me, from the administrative staff to the cleaning ladies. They've been all really nice and supportive to me when i was struggling with my Spanish and much of the reason why i (and many others with me) eventually learned a good Spanish there, is because all the staff enjoy conversing with the students and help them in learning outside class. I noticed that many other students like me became eventually good friends with the staff of the school, having dinner together etc...Much of the reason why i think Playalingua is great is because of its people.
Playalingua is a small Mexican charming building. The location of the school is great, in the perfect centre of Playa del Carmen, seconds away from all the restaurants, bars and also from the beach. The school building is a bijoux, small but extremely beautiful. Sincerely i had no problems with Internet or with my room. I guess, if you would like a suite you should choose some of the big hotels in Cancun. At some point i asked to attach a boxing bag in one room under the roof to do some exercise and the school even allowed me to train there. I don't know how to say it better, but i felt like at home there.
I definitely recommend it to all those who want to experience Mexico and its people. You will not regret it.
Federico

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
Midland, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2010

Some points to considerate:
--> The rooms are OK, but I think you can find better places with better prices..
--> The classes were so DEADLY BORING, I just wanted to kill myself every class..I didnt learned much..The teacher was not prepared..
--> The breakfast was always the same and not good, although the guy that prepared it was very good person..
--> I didnt feel safe there because one day someone tried to open my room.. thanks god I was inside and had locked myself with the internal locks and it was like 7 in the morning. Im a girl and I was alone.. I was definitely freaking out.. They tried to open the door of another girl who was alone in the school but at midnight of the same day.. Very scaring..
The administration didnt do anything about it..VERY DISAPPOINTING! its a place Very unsafe for girls who are traveling alone!
--> I had to return one week earlier and they didnt return one cent of my money.. They said that I can go there and take another week, whenever I want. But i wont return to that school. Just hated it so much..
--> The school is expensive and they dont have good computer or internet access there.. and they charge for it.. a SHAME.
--> The rooms are very noisy because there are some nightclubs nearby!!

Keep looking for other schools!!!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2008

The beds are short and built into the structure of the building. If you’re taller than 6’0”, you won’t fit. Trust me. I’m 5’10” and it was a bit tight.

Each week you’ll have a different instructor. They post the schedule on Monday AM and despite what seems organized, there’s all sorts of last minute changes. I found this incredibly frustrating. Just when I was making progress with one instructor and feeling confident, I had a new one. It took 1-2 days for the new instructor to establish what I needed and by then, it was already Wednesday. None the teachers have degrees in teaching and while this isn’t a deal breaker, some had no idea how to teach. I found the quality of instruction to vary considerably As a PhD candidate in Education, I fail to see the pedagogical purpose of the rotating instructors for such beginning students, particularly when there seems to be little use of the “must-buy-book-that-every-instructor-will-use”. We used the book 3x in one month. Waste. Note: I began my courses as a beginnger and ended after one month in the intermediate II level.

For me, I chose to stay here b/c of the free internet. Don’t. The wireless range is only in the front of the building where the office is. If you’re planning on getting on the web from your room, you won’t. Interesting that it’s not on the website.

Originally, I thought the housing and lessons packages were a good deal. I stayed for 1 month and the housing bill was $686 – cheap for my NYC standards. However, several classmates left after one week and found hotels that were very, very nice for $450/month. I was the schmo that stayed because I wanted to roll out of bed and go to class. Trust me – they had really nice rooms. The rooms at PL are a bit prison-like. They’re very very tiny.

For what it’s worth, the woman who seems to run the place – Clare – is a bit odd. She stares at you. Kind of shady. When my bill came, she tried to up the exchange rate by 10%. It was “school policy”. What? Plus, if I were to use a credit card, it would be 2.5% more. Ok, I’d be willing to pay that feed, but +10% on an exchange? What the f? I asked around and it seems that this is highly negotiable. So I waited to pay my bill on the last day of my month there (they weren’t happy – they would have preferred that I pay each week as the week ends) and when the exchange rate was at its lowest. At that point, they just wanted their money so I was able to get the bill charged to my credit card for only +3% from the total (all transactions are in USD).

Bottom line – if you want to really learn Spanish, don’t go here. Find a legitimate, academically-affiliated program elsewhere. This place is full of spring breakers enjoying the last round of college freedom. Quality is inconsistent, students are here for a variety of reasons, many of which don’t have much to do with learning the language well enough beyond asking for a cerveza or a lap dance.

Stayed June 2008

Been to Playalingua Dorms? Share your experiences!