“So wonderful, we can't wait to go back!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Le Reve Hotel & Spa

Save Saved
You added Le Reve Hotel & Spa to your Saves list
Le Reve Hotel & Spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Playa Xcalacoco, Fraccion 2A, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #79 of 200 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
“So wonderful, we can't wait to go back!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

We visited the lovely Le Reve for 5 nights and it wasn't long enough. We booked our trip via email and all of the follow up from the staff was prompt and very courteous. Upon our arrival at the airport, our private car and driver were waiting. We too has some concerns when turning down the street that leads to the resort, and yes, the last 1/2 miles was bumpy- not a big deal! I'd do it over and over again to stay at this amazing hotel. And that's the plan! This hotel was perfect for what we wanted- quiet, relaxation, and romance. The property is small, but breathtakingly beautiful at every turn. They do a phenomenal job of paying attention to detail. Both the service and the food were top notch! The staff was very kind and always made sure that we had everything that we needed. Roberto who works the afternoon/evening shift made our trip memorable, along with Carlos and Ishmael. Mornings we were greeted by Ivan and Antonio with plenty of coffee and more delicious food! We recommend trying the mutolenos for breakfast- and save room because the fresh breads that come with breakfast are delicious. Lunch- as strange as it sounds to order in Mexico, the club sandwich is great. And we ate the salbutes and scallops on risotto almost every day! As foodies, we agree the chef is wonderful! We never left the resort other than to walk the beach, which only validated that we were at the right place after seeing all the mega resorts with people crammed into beach chairs piled on top of one another. Not us, not at Le Reve. I can't say enough about the beauty, tranquility, service, and the food. We loved every minute of our stay and can't wait to go back!

• Stayed December 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

My boyfriend and I arrived on 12/27. We were greeted at the crowded Cancun airport with a private car from the resort. The trip was pleasant and the driver was friendly. Upon arrival, we were served 2 refreshing drinks and let to our cabana. The cabana was spacious and clean and best of all, it had its own private diving pool and was about 15 steps from the ocean. Truly majestic! During our 5-day stay, we were treated like royalty with the staff going out of their way to pamper us and cater to our every need. I have travelled extensively but have never had the pleasure of staying at a true small, boutique hotel. We enjoyed great, fresh and innovative meals with lots of fresh fruits, vegetables and seafood. I would never go anywhere else when in the Riviera Maya area. Ten out of ten!

Room Tip: We stayed in the private cabanas which feature their own pool and patio. In the evenings you can ope...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

My husband and I just returned from a week-long honeymoon in the Dominican Republic after celebrating our wedding at Le Reve in June 2012. At least once a day during our time in the DR, we said to each other that we wish we were at Le Reve again instead. I realized that I hadn't reviewed Le Reve on TripAdvisor yet so I am doing so now.

Le Reve will always be special to me and my husband because we got married there. But beyond that, it is an AMAZING resort with the most wonderful staff, food and location I can imagine. We visited twice: once for a "site visit" in September 2011 to check out the resort and do our wedding menu tasting, then again for our wedding in June 2012.

Other reviews on here note the unpaved road the last half-mile to the resort. It really isn't so bad and I hear they are working on getting it paved. Compared to other places I have traveled, getting to the Le Reve was incredibly easy and comfortable. The Cancun airport is so easy to navigate, and the main highway leading south towards Playa and beyond is very well maintained and easy to drive on. It's about a 45 minute drive from the airport which went by quickly. When we did our site visit it was my first time traveling to Mexico, and I was pleasantly surprised how good the infrastructure is there.

Once you get to Le Reve you check in at the "lobby" which overlooks the most amazing view of the beach and ocean. The minute we saw this view, we knew it was the place we wanted to get married. Seriously, just breathtaking. The lobby is really just one small desk and two sets of wicker couches. The decor is minimalistic but it works with the rustic vibe of the resort. Anything more would take away from the magical view. The concierge staff was so kind and helpful, especially during the three days of our wedding. Jesus was especially great to us and our guests - thank you!

The accommodations are simplistic but are very, very comfortable. We stayed in both a Master Suite (Sept) and a Beach Bungalow (June). Both were great with the most comfortable beds you can imagine! Le Reve was recently rated by a hotel publication as having one of the top 10 beds in the world and I believe it! So comfy :) The Master Suite has a huge balcony with an incredible view of the ocean. At night you can see the lights from Cozumel which is just so cool. The Beach Bungalow was nice, but I honestly think I prefer the Master Suite. It was nice to have our own private plunge pool and deck, but during that time so many of our friends and family were with us so we spent most of our time at the main resort pool and didn't use our private plunge pool. When we go back (which we will - already planning an anniversary trip and/or baby moon!) I think we will choose the Master Suite.

As you can see from pictures the pool at Le Reve is simply amazing. Looking out over the infinity edge to the turquoise ocean was so beautiful. There is a bar right next to the pool with the most amazing staff constantly mixing up great drinks. They come around frequently to ask if you need any food or a refill on your drink, which is much appreciated.

The service and food at Le Reve is extremely top-notch. Antonio, the food and beverage manager, does a fantastic job here. My husband and I crave so many things from their menu and cannot wait to go back to satisfy these cravings. The resort is not all-inclusive and I am glad it is not. Everything is made and served with to much care and attention. They will go out of their way to make something special for you or alter anything on their menu to prepare it exactly as you like it. This was especially the case when coming up with our wedding menu. Many of the items we served our guests were not on their standard wedding menus, including our cake. They made us a three-tiered raspberry tres leches cake which I still dream about every night. From the taste to the decoration it was absolutely perfect. We didn't think the pastry chefs at Le Reve would do any decoration so we had our florist bring a few extra flowers to put on, but it ended up being so delicious and even more beautiful.

Perhaps the most amazing past of Le Reve are the wedding coordinators, Arlenis and Ana. There was not one detail overlooked, not one request that they didn't make happen. They are true professionals but even more impressive was that I felt that they truly cared about me and my husband and it was personally important to them that we have our dream wedding. Despite raining during our rehearsal dinner and our wedding ceremony, the wedding weekend was perfect. This is really an AMAZING place to have a wedding and I would highly recommend the boutique-style destination wedding that Le Reve hosts. It will be more expensive than a wedding at a huge all-inclusive, but every penny will be worth it and everyone at the resort will ensure that you have your dream wedding.

The best part of the trips was that we left feeling like we had made so many new friends with the staff. Everyone is so nice and helpful and is always smiling. I should mention, in case it is important to anyone, that all of the staff speaks almost perfect English which was nice.

If anyone has questions about the wedding planning process, or would like to see photos (professional) of the resort and our wedding, please send me a message!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

We got married here in February 2011. I can't believe it's taken me so long to write a review. The hotel was phenomenal and did an amazing job with all of our guests. Everyone continues to rave about it. We have stayed here on 3 occasions and each time, the food was really top notch. The chef that had done our initial tasting with (8 months prior) left the month before our wedding so I was admittedly very nervous but I can say my meals at Le Reve were some of the best I have ever had in Mexico. The layout of the hotel is really ideal. All of the rooms are right up on the beach. Having toured 7 hotels in the area I can say this was by far the best layout of any of the hotels we saw (besides Esencia which was very similar). The pool is beautiful and the beach was great. The rooms are all very beautifully done. There were small inconveniences such as some of the a/c systems were lacking, the floors in the rooms got wet after it rained, some experienced low water pressure, but all in all, it is a really well run operation. Taking the wedding out of it, my only critiques would be the lack of spa (though you can get services in your room or on a terrace they have above the pool) and the singular restaurant. If you're staying from more than 2 days I would suggest renting a car or it may feel a little repetitive.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Far Rockaway, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

I am currently here in a Horizon Suite purchased on Living Social. The property is very well maintained. The rooms are kept very clean ( hard to do with Lilly white concrete floors coated with epoxy to provide a smooth shiny finish). Naay restaurant on the property offers very tasty food that is well presented. The wait staff is attentive and some of them go out of their way to go the extra mile such as fixing the Internet when it fails. You are basically stuck on the property unless you are willing to walkabout 2 miles to the main road to get the. collectivo for about two US dollars to the "city". A taxi from Le Reve is 15 US or 150 MXN pesos. The food here is not cheap,somewhat on par with a meal in New York. Overall excellent experience.

Room Tip: The master suite has a huge verandah but be prepared to fork out an extra 80 US per night. Unless yo...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

Xmas eve ... Le reves property was quite lovely, service and food was nice but not a 4 star cuisne dining experience, we went into playa del carmen for dinner a couple of nites, and the fodd was quite the same, im a big foodie but the meals were just fine, it really wasnt worth the drive every nite to go into town, so we ate at our hotel restaurant for the next few nites. we found a few dishes on the menu that were very good, the pasta!!! LE REVES PROPERTY WAS QUITE QUAINT.

Room Tip: BOOK the bungalows its worth the money, the standard king rooms were small,. WE WOULD HAVE UPGRADED...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Houston, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

If we had not read the reviews about the road leading to this hotel, we would have thought we were being kidnapped! Staff at reception (Jesus) was very friendly, showed us to our room and explained everything. The restaurant and pool area were very nice, and the beach had nice chairs and umbrellas and a couple of hammock beds. They offered free snorkeling equipment, beach shoes, and even some sun tanning lotions. You will need beach shoes to get into the ocean as it is rocky getting in. Once inside, you can enjoy a nice swim. You can also enjoy very long walks along the beach in either direction.

Room - absolutely charming – not big, but perfect size with everything you need and very nice rustic/modern décor. The balcony was huge with 2 comfy chairs and table with a partial view of the ocean. We enjoyed sitting there and listening to the ocean in the evenings. The only thing that was a bit off was the curtains – they did not close all the way due to an attached table, so we had to pull the curtains over the table. Also, it would have been nicer for the curtains to open in the middle to be able to open them partially to enjoy the nice view without completely exposing our room (ourselves). The minibar is locked, they will only unlock it if you order something, so we didn’t use it. If you have your own drinks (e.g. water, beer), just ask for a bucket of ice at the restaurant.

Between 4:30-5:30pm they offered a complimentary tea service at the bar.

Only con: on our 3rd night when taking a shower before dinner, the hot water kept diminishing until it finally stopped completely. Apparently, new guests had arrived and it was a peak hour when everyone was showering, so beware it can happen to you.

Restaurant – we had breakfast, lunch and dinner and enjoyed them very much. Quality of food was excellent – for lunch we recommend the mixed salad with chicken (not on the menu but they will make it if you ask), or the “sopes de tinga”, which comes with a very spicy sauce on the side. For dinner we strongly recommend the corn soup (very generous size-serves 2), as well as the scallops with risotto or the fettuccini Alfredo with either shrimp or chicken.

Overall very nice stay - we recommend.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Le Reve Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!