“Finally Unplugged in Paradise” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Le Reve Hotel & Spa

You added Le Reve Hotel & Spa to your Saves list
Le Reve Hotel & Spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Playa Xcalacoco, Fraccion 2A Playa Del Carmen Quintana Roo, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #75 of 200 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Calgary, Canada
“Finally Unplugged in Paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

We stayed 4 nights November for our anniversary after 10 days at another resort. When we arrived at the lobby our check in was very good, we had to wait a minute to finish the room as we were an hour early. When we go to our room, a beachfront bungalow I was amazed. The flower petals, wine, and the room was great until I opened the drapes. I was stunned at the view. It is just beautiful. To be honest I was a little unsure of the whole unplugged thing, as we had just come from a much larger resort. But wait a minute, your anniversary, the carribean sea right out your window and your wonderful husband. OK easy to get into the relaxation. The plunge pool was just great, our room was beautiful, the washroom very nice. The bed was very comfortable. Yes the hot water can be tricky but we had no real issues. Humidity issues, of course remember the ocean is mere feet from your door!!!! Who really cares, just bring a couple swimsuits and you are good.

The Staff, Everyone we met were very nice, friendly and willing to help you with your spanish. They are very attentive and will help you with anything. They are not in your face all the time but are wonderful. There are no coffee makers in the rooms, big issue for us as we are early risers, Evan who came in at 6 am was very happy to get the coffee maker going for us and have our cups ready, just lovely( and I am sure I spelled his name wrong sorry buddy)

Yes the ocean is rocky as well as the last bit of the road, you only have to edure a few bumps getting there and it is so worth it. You can walk 2 minutes down the beach for no rocks. No big deal. The beach beds were fantastic and we just hung out and watched the beautiful ocean.

The food in the restaurant was fantastic!!!! The only complaint I had was he portions were to big for me and when I mentioned this they cut them down for me. Hate to waste the food. We enjoyed a special Mayan dinner on our last night and it was so good. Also we had a breakfast in our room as part of the package, wow sitting in front of the ocean with a great breakfast, it does not get better than this,

I have read the not so good reviews on this hotel, we did not have any problems what so ever. One person complained about the humidity, really? you are on the ocean and I loved it.
The beachfront bungalow was fantastic and that is where we will book next year. Keep up the good work and you are very much a hidden gem.

Room Tip: We just loved the bungalows with the pools, worked great for us
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Our wedding weekend at Le Reve was even better than I had imagined. The service that the hotel staff provides combined with the location and size of the hotel really make it the ideal place for a wedding. We decided to rent out the entire hotel for our wedding so that my sister’s children could stay and also so that we could bring our doggie who we really wanted to be a part of the ceremony! Here’s a breakdown about what we thought regarding the different aspects of the hotel/wedding:

Hotel Staff: Everyone working at this hotel is genuinely nice and works hard to accommodate every guest. Some of our guests were a bit difficult: three people splitting a room that all needed to pay separately, people that didn’t notify their bank that they were traveling to Mexico and had their credit cards declined. The staff was extremely patient and worked everything out, which left all of our guests happy and free to enjoy their weekend.

Wedding Planners: I am truly at a loss when it comes to describing how wonderful Arlenis and her assistant Ana are. Throughout our one year of planning together, they were always available via email or over the phone and always quick to respond to our requests. Arlenis was so responsive and efficient with making sure all of my wedding planning was getting done on time that I didn’t even find out until after my wedding that she had just planned her own wedding and gotten married a few weeks before I did! At each stage of the planning they sent me updated lists and reminded me what info they still needed. Their recommendations for vendors and décor ideas were outstanding. I came with a suitcase full of wedding decorations and stuff I wanted set up for the reception thinking that I would have to do it myself morning of. Arlenis had me hand over everything to her when I got there. I was a bit weary because typically I am the type of person that likes to set things up myself to make sure they are done the way that I envision them. Arlenis and Ana took what I had given them and made the photo display and everything else look absolutely amazing—they did a much better job then I would have done! They are both such nice people and truly put their heart into each wedding they plan.

Food and Drinks: If you decide to have your wedding at Le Reve and are able to do a site visit, you will realize during the tasting how incredible the food is. We served a choice of catch of the day, beef, or chicken and they were all delicious with the fish being truly outstanding. We also had a shrimp and cauliflower salad and the corn soup both of which all of our guests were raving about. And if you like chocolate, be sure to get the chocolate cake. It’s what we used as our wedding cake and it’s the best chocolate cake I’ve ever had. We served it with vanilla ice cream since it’s my favorite food! Besides our reception the food the rest of the weekend and stuff on the bar menu is so tasty. Le Reve makes the best margaritas of any restaurant/bar/hotel in Mexico. The Berry Caipirinha is also amazing.

Hotel Location/Beach: The hotel is located about a 10 minute drive (or 45 minute beach walk) from downtown Playa. In my opinion it is the perfect location since it is private and quiet but so close to town and the nightlife/restaurants. The hotel is right on the water and when you arrive and step out of the car you receive your first stunning view of the Caribbean. There are fantastic views from the hotel pool, bar, and restaurant. The beach directly in front of the hotel is rocky but the hotel provides water shoes for walking into the water. Otherwise if you walk less than a quarter mile up the beach there are no rocks and it’s perfect for swimming.

Rooms and Hotel Décor: The hotel is modern, clean and provides an elegant simplicity that doesn’t detract from the beauty of the ocean. The palapa roof over the lounge area provides the perfect set up for a dance floor. Most of the rooms have ocean views and the ones that don’t have a beautiful private yard with outdoor tub and hammock. There really isn’t a bad room in this hotel. The beds are very comfortable! I really appreciated the fact that there are no TVs in the rooms since it is nice to be able to get away from technology once in a while. Overall, the rooms and décor are exceptional!

Vendors: We used Styling Trio for hair and makeup. They are very friendly and made me look great. I don’t usually wear a ton of makeup so I was very clear about wanting to look as natural as possible but knew that I needed face makeup for the wedding pictures. They did a great job. My hair was unique and exactly what I wanted. For flowers, we used Laura from Premium Flowers who really nailed my vision in combining succulents and flowers for beautiful bouquets, boutonnières, and table settings. She also did flowers for my hair and cake and along the aisle for the ceremony. Last, but certainly not least Plug in Audio did an exceptional job and provided the perfect music for our reception. My husband was really worried about this aspect since we had recently been to several weddings where the DJ was not to his standards….haha. But boy did they deliver. They recommended that we shorten our first dance song from over 4 minutes to 2 minutes and I am SO happy that we did this. 2 minutes felt long and was perfect but 4 would have been too much. They played several songs that we requested and also selected a bunch on their own that we loved! They kept the party going until 2am and our guests had an unforgettable time.

If you are considering having your wedding at Le Reve--do it! We booked without ever seeing the place and it is one of the best decisions I've ever made. I think the only things I would have changed would be wearing tons of bug spray--I got eaten alive the first day I was there but never thought about bug bites since we were there for our site visit in March and I didn't get a single bite. If you are there during rainy season, wear bug spray! I also would have gotten my nails done the day before to make the day of less rushed and more relaxing. Arlenis told me to do this but I was having so much fun on Friday that I forgot! But I have no complaints at all about the hotel or the wedding--it completely exceeded our expectations and was the best weekend of our life. Thank you Le Reve! We will be back.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

You know when you discover something wonderful, and you can't wait to share it with someone, but also have the desire to keep it to yourself? Well, that's how I feel about Le Reve. Long story short, I needed a week of relative solitude - no family, no phone , no email, no computer, just reading, enjoying myself, and maybe a visit to a site or two. I lucked up on Le Reve here at Tripadvisor, and this happened two days before I was leaving. I had already booked a Cancun hotel on Expedia, but it had a 48 hour no-fee cancellation policy. A number of friends had told me that Cancun was way too commercial and loud for what I needed. This was on a Wednesday, so I found Le Reve AND their Wednesday 50% discount special. Naturally, I was skeptical, so I called them, and their relaxed manner on the phone assured me that there were no hidden traps with the special. So I booked, and flew and drove to Le Reve. The muddy, unpaved road I had to drive on for the last mile or so of the drive made me nervous, but I came to love it, because it represented precisely how off the beaten trail Le Reve is (although there are other resorts right nearby, they use different access roads). Now to the review proper. The room I had (one of the smaller ones, on the main floor) was lovely. Bed was exquisite, balcony fine, as were bathroom and shower, and the A/C, which was hardly needed, worked perfectly when the room needed cooling down. The restaurant is SUPERB. All three meals are presented in a full menu, and every dish I had was not only delicious, but also presented perfectly. I want to underline how important this is, because as you gradually realize that except for trips, there is no good reason to leave Le Reve, the high quality of the food plays a large role. The staff was almost to a person excellent and on average of the highest quality. They supply sun screen, towels, drinks, whatever you need when you're seated on the beach, which is just a stone's throw from the place, in fact it abuts their own swimming pool, which you have to see to believe. I thought the photos on the website were exaggerated in some way, but they weren't. The pool is a jewel. I spent all my time, however, on the smooth beach, on a comfortable lounge chair or in one of the hammocks. Traveling solo for the first time, I was a little apprehensive about the social angle, but I met a number of lovely couples, and felt right at home, as did the staff. One of the nicest couples I met was two women, who leave their husbands at home every couple of years and have a reunion to catch up. They were just ending a 10-day stay, and I asked them about where they had gone for sightseeing. They had never left Le Reve. Ten straight days of great food, beautiful surroundings and peace and quiet were what they wanted. I had a rented car, so I drove myself to Chichen Itza, Tulum, and a couple of times in Playa del Carmen, the last of which is nothing special, and for food, I would go to the local places there, not the tourist street. But I live in NYC, so the last thing I was looking for was an urban scene. Plus, there is a seedy side to what's happening there with drugs, etc., though it seems perfectly safe for a smart tourist. But all of that is light years away from where Le Reve is.

All in all, if you want a commercial hotel with lots of bling and blang and noise and distractions, this is NOT your place. If you want an elegant, quiet place to relax, regroup, and just sink into the water (figuratively!), the beach, the food and the beauty of the area, this is your choice. I can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: I stayed in the least expensive room, where I could see the Caribbean through the trees, and could h...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Sydney
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

What would have once been a stunning resort is poorly run and feels VERY tired. We booked a Beachfront Bungalow at no small expense and were underwhelmed with the standard of the room - nasty polyester sheets, duvet cover with a rip in it that someone had tried to repair by hand stitching, rotten floorboards in shower and a minibar fridge that is locked unless you pay for it!!!!!!
The best thing about the place was the comfy beach chairs/beds, but definitely not enough to get me to return.
Hope whoever is running this hotel smartens up their act as the hotel and location are great, it is just poorly run and maintained.

• Stayed October 2012
Edinburgh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

This is a great hotel which seemed practically empty when we were there. Great for us as the attentive staff focussed almost entirely on looking after us. We went for a package that included the same value of food and drink as the cost of our room. The food was excellent but expensive. It is also a 15USD taxi ride to get into Playa Del Carmen itself so you are slightly hijacked by the hotel! The deal was also rather badly explained and we spent a good deal of our time wondering whether we had overspent or not. A small point in the grand scheme.

I would highly recommend this as a place to unwind at the start of a trip. We moved on after a few days to the buzz of a large All Inclusive hotel in the heart of it (The Royal). We loved this too but the combination worked really well. Recommended if you can work the deal out!

Room Tip: We had our own garden which is the most basic room. Funky plunge pool / bath too. Not sure it woul...
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Just returned from a long weekend at Le Reve. Very nice property. We stayed in a bungalow suite, which was very romantic and private. The bed was the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in!! Staff were all very friendly and helpful. Be advised that you really need to rent a car if you are staying here if you plan to venture very far. It is hidden away on a very bumpy road, probably a good 20 minutes from the center of Playa Del Carmen. If you ended up using taxis which are available it would get expensive. We only ate breakfast and it was okay, though not inspiring. I had the continental breakfast and the fruit platter was beautifully presented but most of the fruit was either had little flavor or kind've sour. It also came with a basket of breads there were not so good. They could've put croissants/conches (pan dulces) would've made it much better! In general, I would like to have seen fresh tortillas and more mexican dishes on the menu for breakfast. As mexican breakfasts are so good! My husband did get Chilequiles which he liked. We actually were gone exploring most of the time and basically just slept there. The things that kept this place from being ideal for us was....a gorgeous pool that was not heated. We never swam in it because it was too cold. I'm sure in the spring into summer when it is much hotter that the pool is perfect. In the fall and winter months before it gets that hot, it just isn't warm enough to want to swim in a cold pool. Same for the Plunge pool we never used it because it was just too cold. The beach is very pretty, but very rocky and while we were there this past weekend it was rough waters. Not a good area to swim in. The bartenders at the bar are lovely and friendly, but they need to learn how to make a good margarita! The drinks were too sweet and tasted like they used margarita mix instead of fresh lime juice and simple syrup. Though to be fair, for whatever reason we went all over Playa Del Carmen (in town) and Tulum and never found a good margarita! No one seems to use shakers and the one beach bar in Tulum that was the only place that seemed to use fresh lime/fruit juices still used a spoon to mix the drink with. We are just spoiled because in Puerto Vallarta and Punta Mita on the west coast of Mexico...the margaritas are amazing all made with fresh juices/limes and mixed perfectly. I admit if the pool had been heated and the drinks had been tastier, we would've spent a lot more time at the hotel, lounging by the pool.

Room Tip: The Bungalow suites are really romantic with tented beds. The bungalows feel rustic not luxurious...
Berkeley CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

We loved our romantic beach bungalow! This is very much a boutique hotel, so don't expect a great gym or in-room coffee maker and ironing board. But if you value crashing waves, fresh air, kind employees, and lots of other thoughtful touches, you will have a great stay. It is serene here, something you will appreciate if you walk down the beach and check out the garish and noisy nearby resorts. No TVs in the rooms, so bring your books! We also had great service, tasty and reasonably priced food (ceviche and shrimp tacos---excellent), perfect beach loungers and hammocks. Wireless in the common areas, but not in the rooms. Our deep tissue massages were well done. A couple helpful notes, lock up all valuables and cellphones. Our neighbor left an iPhone out of the safe during turn down service one night, and it was stolen. Also, Le Reve's neighbors can be loud at night, ruining the sound of the beach. One night in particular, the Viceroy had a party that kept many guests awake past two a.m. Not much the hotel can do about that. Bring water shoes because the water in front of the hotel is on top of coral and rocks, but really fun to go right out from the hotel to swim and snorkel. The sand up to the water is not rocky at all. We loved it, and will go back.

Room Tip: I would only stay in one of the top two tiers of room categories unless you get a killer deal.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Le Reve Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!