My wife and I just got back from our honeymoon at EDM. This was our first time in Mexico and while we were blown away by the views and oceans there was still some to be desired from the resort.
My first tip is if you reserve an infinity pool suite, you are playing the lottery. You will either get an absolutely amazing room (read: amazing view. Most of the rooms seem to be laid out pretty much the same). It all depends on which floor you get put on. We got the second floor so we had a nice view of...palm trees. The patio is still a really nice place to relax. The infinity pool is a bit chilly but it's not unbearable and we did stay there in December. The other reason you are playing the lottery is because chance are pretty good that your room will not be ready by check in. I had read this on other reviews but I certainly didn't think it would happen to us.
We went to check in and were told that the infinity pool was being repaired and that we would be "upgraded" for the night to a swim up suite. I think this is what upset me the most was that they insisted it was an upgrade. A swim up suite, underneath ongoing maintenance (hammering and grinding), next to a maids closet (constant conversations amongst the staff laughing and yelling), at the foot of a stairwell is not an upgrade (you can hear anyone coming down or up), and in the back of the resort (next to the ozone plant = more noise) is not an upgrade. Bottom line; Room 802 is terrible. Luckily one call to our travel agency resulted in us being comp'ed for the night and the next day we were promptly moved to the infinity suite we reserved. This is where our vacation really began.
The rooms are nice and large, good sized bed, ours had a jacuzzi which was nice, and the living area with couches was comfortable. We spent a good amount of our evenings on the patio in front of our own infinity pool. The patio has two chairs, a bed, and a curtain for even more added privacy/protection from the sun. The mini-fridge was stocked daily with soda, beer, water, and some treats (my wife LOVED the Mui-bons). Once we got the correct room the only thing that would have made it perfection would have been a higher floor.
The food was good. I would put it on par with your average restaurant back in the States. The special dinner nights at Sabores are the exception. They were on another level. The breakfast at Papitos was awesome and you can't beat the views. All in all the choices were pretty few but it is a smaller resort so I don't really expect a ton of options. 2 options for breakfast and lunch and 3 options for dinner.
I can't say enough about the beach. It was amazing. The one thing that stands out for me is the sand. It is NEVER hot. I still don't understand how that's possible at 3pm in 90 degree weather. Going for a walk north along the beach made for some great photography settings. The water was beautiful. At the resort it was crystal clear above the surface but the visability below the surface couldn't have been more than 10ft. The artificial reefs are kind of an eye sore in my opinion but if they make for a better beach I'm all for it. The snorkeling at the resort was ok, nothing to write home about. There are plenty of juvenile barricuda which I found kind of neat.
The service was fantastic aside from the first day and even that was just the reception desk we had an issue with. Everyone is really friendly and willing to do whatever it takes to make you happy. Any staff member you pass by will always greet you with a friendly "Hola". There's not much more I can say other than that. They were great.
All in all it was a fantastic honeymoon. My wife and I really did enjoy our time there and wouldn't mind coming back again. If you're looking for a small resort with a fantastic beach and friendly service El Dorado Maroma is definitely a good choice.
- Also Known As:
- El Dorado Maroma, a Beachfront Resort, By Karisma Hotel
- El Dorado Maroma, a Beachfront Resort, By Karisma Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- El Dorado Maroma Hotel
- El Dorado Maroma Resort
- El Dorado Maroma, a Beachfront Resort, By Karisma Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on one of Travel Channels Top Ten Beaches in the World, El Dorado Maroma is an upscale, exclusive Caribbean resort for romantic couples and active vacationers alike. Intimate and beachfront. Rustic and luxurious at the same time. the hotel provides outstanding services and gourmet cuisine. Receive personalized butler and concierge service, arrive with style with a champagne check in. It is rustic, because it is not pretentious and was built using traditional materials and with the philosophy of embracing the bounty of the nature and the local environment. It lies directly on the beach of Maroma, considered to be one of the best beaches in the world by independent reviewers, including the Discovery Channel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, BookIt.com, Priceline, Orbitz, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Hotels.com and Tingo so you can book your El Dorado Maroma, a Beachfront Resort, by Karisma reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.