“Excellent food” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #102 of 768 Restaurants in Playa del Carmen
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night, Dessert
Description: The Best Mexican Seafood place and Fresh Fish
South Africa
“Excellent food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

I recently had 2 meals here. The shrimp tacos and fajitas are excellent. The service was good. I had a mojito which was of good quality but a little overpriced.

• Visited June 2014

• Polish first
Fort Worth, Texas
“Very dishonest personnel!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

I asked how much will be the price for cooked lobster. The waiter told me price for the pound and in pesos. I asked again, approximately. He should know, how much it cost, he works here. He told me, it will be 370 pesos. In my head, I calculated, that it will be about $28.00, if I pay with credit card.
Lobster was not that good.
When the waiter came back for the payment, he refused to take credit card and asked me to pay cash, and since I did not have pesos, he told me it will be 37 american dollars. I was not happy, but I ALWAYS give a tip. I paid total $40.00 , but dishonesty just made me upset.
Be aware!!! They do here what ever they want, they don't care about satisfaction of customers - they will find another foreigner to fool. But I will never come back!!!

• Visited March 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Beaumont, Texas
“Seafood Cassarole?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

My wife and I visited La Pesca on our recent trip to Playa and was a little disappointed in our food. My wife wanted the whole fish (by the kilo) but was talked into the whole fish special that was advertised on their chalkboard when we entered. She hesitated to order that (even though it was a lot cheaper), but the waiter really played it up and said he could cook it anyway she wished. When it came out, it was a much smaller fish (grouper?) than she was expecting and it had a "fishy taste" to it. The table next to us had ordered the whole fish by the kilo and when they received theirs, we both commented on how big and good it looked. The sad thing was, after my wife ordered her fish, the waiter went and took the chalkboard down (as if they've sold the last of these fish and the special was now over).

I ordered the seafood casserole for myself, thinking this was going to be some sort of a pasta/seafood dish. When it came out, it was a large bowl of seafood soup! I was really disappointed, but did not tell my waiter, I just ate it. It was ok, but not what I was expecting.

The waiter asked my wife if everything was ok when he noticed she was not eating her fish and she commented about the size of the fish and the taste. She said she was fine and then the manager came over to the table and asked if he could get her another fish, but by then, I was done with my soup and she was ready to leave.

We traditionally enjoy eating at La Pescas on our trips to Playa, but were disappointed in our food during this past visit. We both hope it is better on our next trip to Playa...

• Visited May 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
New Hampshire
“Authentic and Local - A nice change of pace”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

La Pesca was one of a few local restaurants recommended by my concierge. I'm always looking for something small and out of the way where you can get good food at a good price and experience local life. La Pesca did not disappoint. We were greeted with a friendly face and warm atmosphere. La Pesca had this outdoor kind of vibe and we really felt like home. 4 meals with 4 beers and the cost was about $60 USD. Not small meals: Fish with mixed veggies and (3) different kinds of Fajitas dishes. All good. If you are looking to get away from the grind of resort binge eating - La Pesca should be on your Playa del Carmen bucket list.

• Visited May 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
San Francisco
“Really great authentic Mexican fare”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

We had great Mexican food at La Pesca Maya. The place is very low key and casual but the food is better than most restaurants we ate it at Playa. I had a whole fish (you get the pick the specific fish you want from the catch of the day). The fish was really well cooked. The tortilla soup was great and so were the rest of the dishes.

• Visited April 2014