“I'd give this place no star” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Aragon

Hotel Aragon
You added Hotel Aragon to your Saves list
Hotel Aragon
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No. 474 entre 52 y 54, Col. Centro, Merida 97000, Mexico   |
Ranked #83 of 88 Hotels in Merida
San Antonio, Texas
“I'd give this place no star”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

This is a filthy depleted property that needs to be condemned. I didn't specifically select this hotel but thought I'd chance that site that advertises hotel rooms for 60% off if you purchase your stay without knowing the actual hotel. MISTAKE!!! That site and every other that services this hotel does no favors to it's customers by booking rooms at hotels like this. I can't think of a single person that I know who would feel comfortable staying at this hotel. Once the hotel was revealed to me after my bid I unfortunately had to book another hotel for the same 5 nights of my trip. There was NO WAY that I was going to ruin my trip by staying here.

Out of curiosity I went to the hotel when I arrived to Merida and checked in with no intention of staying. The place is as bad as described by every other review. Since I paid for this dump for 5 nights I kept the key for the 5 days until check out to at least take the already paid for room off the market. Beware of deals that seem too good to be true...it isn't always the case.

Room Tip: Stay away...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
New Orleans, Louisiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Filthy, cigarettes butts on ground, cockroaches in room (that I killed). Pointed out trash to hotel personnel- he shrugged and said "not my problem". ,Pool empty - and has been for a while. Blinds didn't close, hotel person at desk, took shoes off and stood in bare feet on my bed to try to adjust. Breakfast was a filthy , crumb covered toaster and a loaf of bread that had been pawed through by other guests. A/C window unit did not work.
Check out as soon as I could the next morning. (Booked through Expedia and they never did refund the money for the rest of my stay)
I like to stay in non-chain hotels and have never had such a terrible experience, especially one that was on Expedia. Hotel Toledo is around the corner and completely superior to this
disgrace

Room Tip: Book in another hotel
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

Not welcoming to us at all, doubted our reservation even with our prepaid confirmations. Room stunk of damp so badly we had to use mosquito coils to mask the smell. Mould on walls, broken furniture, dirty shower, toilet that hardly flushed and an ac unit that could wake the dead so hardly slept. Place is very run down and needs refurbishment, could be very good. Way too overpriced for what it is, wouldn't recommend at all.

• Stayed August 2013
Houston, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

The hotel is very run down and the rooms are very dated. Lots of bugs.Lots of mosquitoes. The old man at the front desk is very nice. Breakfast was a joke; coffee and white bread. There is no hot water in the shower and the door does not lock very well. The internet only works in the lobby of the hotel.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.....
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Calgary, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

We stopped in Merida as part of a G Adventures trip. Our tour guide had informed us that Hotel Aragon is more of a traditional Spanish style guest house so naturally I expected everything to be older and antiquated. Things were okay when I walked into the property at the check in desk. However when I got into the room, it was clearly a smoking room and reeked of old cigarettes. The bed was very squeaky and everytime I tossed and turned at night, the headboard banged against the wall forcing me to get up and pull the bed away from the wall. For 1 person, I am not sure why I got a room that slept 6 with bunk beds on the other side of the room. WiFi was also pretty bad and can only be accessed in the lobby and hallways. So at night, I opened my hotel room door and stepped outside in my pyjamas to retrieve my emails. There was a small pool in the area but it didn't look very appealing. The stay also included breakfast in the breakfast room but it was toast with jam, orange juice and undrinkable coffee. Even the coffee at 7 Eleven and Oxxo would be better. Surprisingly, the bathroom in this place was passably clean but you need to run the shower for a couple minutes or so before hot water reaches the suite.

Room Tip: I wonder if there is even a "good" room
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Cape Canaveral, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2011

We arrived at this hotel for a 2 night stay as part of a Yucatan Tour. At first impression, it doesn't look to bad, but the rooms are terrible. Mold, all kinds of bugs, extremely smelly, unfriendly staff, unidentified nasty things floating in pool, etc. Several people in our group demanded to move to another hotel. Our group leader made arrangements for us to move to another hotel just around the corner at Hotel Meridano. Even though, we had to pay out of pocket for another hotel it was well worth it. Hotel Meridano was an great hotel. Friendly staff, extremely clean rooms and a good value. I believe, Hotel Aragon, has many groups "paying in advance" coming through and they don't make any effort of clean of the act. If you have a tour planned to Mérida make sure you are not staying at this hotel.

Room Tip: Best tip: Don't stay at Hotel Aragon.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Houston, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2011

I had never seen a place so gross like this hotel. I know it's only $30/night, but I seriously doubt this hotel is worth paying $1/night by any standards! The "pool" is just a nasty outdoor pond. The staff is just an older man, that just roams around the place and barely talks to guests. He hands you a key to your room, and tell you where it is; doesn't even bother to show you to your room, or anything like that. When you get to your room, you find nasty looking rickety beds (with stolen linens from Hoteles Melia), no alarm clock, awful pillows and a lamp that was so dirty and dusty it should have been thrown away. The window A/C unit was like 50 years old, and you couldn't figure out how to turn it on... and when I finally got it to work, it only had a "fan" mode, no actual A/C.
The bathroom was sick as well. The toilet had a discolored seat, and the rim was scummy and had pee stains. The wastebasket was just an old plastic jug with the top cut off. The shower curtain had nasty stains on it, didn't even try to figure out what they were. No hot water.
The sink area was also disgusting - the water smelled weird, like rotten eggs. The closet had nothing in it, but a couple of mismatched wire hangers. The entire night I felt insecure, because the area didn't look nice AT ALL- and the door lock could have been picked by anybody, since the man outside was old and probably sleeping the entire night instead of watching the property.
I slept with my passport and money in hand. The worst night I've had in YEARS!
I was supposed to stay here from Jan 20 until Jan 26 - I am writing this review on Jan 23, from the Holiday Inn, because I got up at 5am the next morning and left that hell hole.

They have a "breakfast" included in the price - which consisted of the cheapest looking OJ, one loaf of Bimbo white bread and a few things of jelly. They also had coffee, but the mugs were plastic and stained, and disgusting looking as well.

OMG, what a horrible experience, don't do this to yourself. Do not stay at this hotel. You will regret it, and you will leave... I can't see any normal human being staying at this hotel for longer than a night, while they try to figure out where to go next. Also, no internet connection, no wireless, nothing. They have a 20 y/o television in the room, that only has 2 channels.

AWFUL PLACE, STAY AWAY!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Aragon? Share your experiences!