We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

“Great Ruins that arent saturated with vendors!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mayapan Mayan Ruins

Mayapan Mayan Ruins
south of Merida, Merida, Mexico
Improve this listing
Ranked #4 of 41 Attractions in Merida
Type: Ancient Ruins, Historic Sites, Cultural
Attraction details
Sacramento, California
Senior Reviewer
9 reviews 9 reviews
3 attraction reviews
Reviews in 7 cities Reviews in 7 cities
16 helpful votes 16 helpful votes
“Great Ruins that arent saturated with vendors!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

The Mayapan Ruins were a nice surprise after visiting Chichen Itza days prior. We only ran across three other families and best of all no vendors. Woooo Hooo!!! We especially liked that we could hike to the top of the ruins. Unfortunately, much of this site has not been excavated. Its estimated that what you see here is only 5% and that the other 95% is essentially underground. All in all a must see!

Visited March 2014
Was this review helpful? Yes 5
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Write a Review

190 reviews from our community

Visitor rating
    131
    48
    10
    1
    0
Date | Rating
  • Dutch first
  • English first
  • French first
  • German first
  • Italian first
  • Japanese first
  • Portuguese first
  • Russian first
  • Spanish first
  • Any
English first
Portland, Oregon
Top Contributor
75 reviews 75 reviews
11 attraction reviews
Reviews in 34 cities Reviews in 34 cities
50 helpful votes 50 helpful votes
“Enjoyed it so much!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014

Not too far from Merida, we drove out there right after breakfast and were the only people there for our entire visit. Very reminiscent of Chichen Itza, but you can climb on the ruins and really get a good look around. Mayapan was the largest settlement in that area at one time and most of the ceremonial center has been cleaned up and restored. Be sure to look at the map of the entire area as you go through the gate----Mayapan was really huge in its day, now lots overgrown by the jungle.
Even around the edges of the site you can see unexcavated mounds. Very interesting.

Visited February 2014
Was this review helpful? Yes 5
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Portland ME
Reviewer
5 reviews 5 reviews
Reviews in 2 cities Reviews in 2 cities
2 helpful votes 2 helpful votes
“Had it all to ourselves”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

Wonderful ruins. Very peaceful and best of all we had them nearly all to ourselves. Definitely worth the trip

Visited February 2014
Was this review helpful? Yes 1
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Lugano, Switzerland
Contributor
16 reviews 16 reviews
9 attraction reviews
Reviews in 7 cities Reviews in 7 cities
11 helpful votes 11 helpful votes
“Pequena zona arch. pero interesante”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

Very compact archeological site with nice piramids and even two nice sculpted chaac faces (mascaron) puuc style. No juego de pelota. Very quiet site. Easy to reach by public transport (from Noroeste) say Mayapan Zona arch. not to be confused with Mayapan village. Bus stops right in front of the entrance.

Visited March 2014
Was this review helpful? Yes 3
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Winter Park, Florida
Senior Contributor
33 reviews 33 reviews
22 attraction reviews
Reviews in 9 cities Reviews in 9 cities
13 helpful votes 13 helpful votes
“Richard does Mayapan”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

Great site free from crowds of uninterested visitors and flocks of vendors. The site is defined well with explanations in Spanish and English. Some stucco and paintings survive but like many Maya ruins there has been some looting.

Visited February 2014
Was this review helpful? Yes 2
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.

Travelers who viewed Mayapan Mayan Ruins also viewed

 

Been to Mayapan Mayan Ruins? Share your experiences!

Write a Review Add Photos & Videos

Owners: What's your side of the story?

If you own or manage Mayapan Mayan Ruins, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.