“Colonial charm” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Las Arecas

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Merida
Las Arecas
You added Las Arecas to your Saves list
Calle 59 #541 between Calle 66 and Calle 68 Centro, Merida 97000, Mexico   |
Ranked #15 of 77 Merida B&B and Inns
Copenhagen, Denmark
“Colonial charm”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2012

I stayed 6 nights in Las Arecas and it was all pleasure. The Guest House has a very central location and even though quiet.
But first of all it is a beautiful colonial house with a garden/patio full of plants, a welcoming host and a nice kitchen to sit and have chat in. A cat is on guard, if not sleeping and a lively dog is just running around if out.
I stayed in a big room, almost two rooms and it worked out perfect. Don´t come if you are looking for TV and things like that. There is WI-FI.
I got a lot for the price. Thank you. I know where to stay if coming to Merida again.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2012

I stayed at Las Arecas for several nights and loved it. The colonial interior is truly impressive, and gives a real sense of history. It is very centrally located, but the cool, high-ceilinged interior rooms are a world away from the street outside. My room was spacious and clean, and free wifi and use of the kitchen made it very good value for money. Mauro and Raúl are relaxed but attentive hosts, who didn't hesitate to assist when I locked myself out of my room (!), and when I need help with my luggage. I would definitely go back again.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2011

We had the best time,

the room was clean and has a lot of space...the house is beautiful, The location is mucho bueno because it is close to the stores and restaurant. People is nice and they are very helpful...Love it! I am going back this summer!

• Stayed November 2010
Metter, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2011

This little guest house felt like a home away from home and I totally agree with other reviewers that have found Las Arecas a great place to stay in the city. The house probably dates from the Colonial period and is a good example of how city homes were laid out historically. It's rich history is a real bonus.
I want to point out that one review that should be taken with a grain of salt as it stated that he/she did not actually stay at Las Arecas but chose to rank all of the services and amenities very low anyway. Sounds like sour grapes because of the missed communications which would perhaps have been cause for a poor review.
In addition to the amenities mentioned in other reviews, there is Internet access in the sitting area and it is nice to be able to make coffee to have with goodies from a local bakery in the morning. Friendly people, history, city access, and comfortable accomodations can't be beat for the price.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
Mendocino
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2011

Don't believe any of the less than enthusiastic reviews for this place, it's a treasure! And so are the managers--Mauro the owner, worked with me through some unexpected travel delays due to health reasons, and he gave me a very fair deal after months of back and forth emails. Raul and Pepe provided us with fresh towels (towels are an issure everywhere in Mexico!) Just steps from Santiago church, plaza, and mercado--you can live very inexpensively, or walk four blocks to the Plaza Principal and dine with the tourist crowd. The hosts helped us find taxis during a recent taxi strike and made other recommendations for our time there. Roomy and clean accomodations--a lovely shower with lots of hot water. We had adjoining rooms for the price of one! The house itself is lovingly cared for, but it is old--18th Century, with two front parlours and a patio with a kitchen in the back. It is very quiet at night--this is rare in Merida! Go--you'll love it! Its the real deal...

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
The Dalles, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2011

I stayed at Las Arecas for just one night, having chosen Merida over Mexico City for an overnight flight layover. It was a Saturday night and Las Arecas was well located for exploring the churches in the centro area and the activity in the various park areas.

I've pasted a few paragraphs below from my travelogue which is linked with photos here:

I liked Mérida immediately - all the airport workers were laughing and talking and my taxi driver was very friendly and helpful (tickets must be purchased at the taxi kiosk, 155p to Centro). He dropped me off at my hotel, Las Arecas - 300p with ceiling fans, 400p with ac which I was happy to have. From the outside it's quite plain but inside it's like taking a step back in time to a more beautiful, restful era - lots of light, antique furniture, cheery blue paint, lovely garden areas and spacious rooms; there’s a full kitchen for guest use which I used for dinner and breakfast. The elderly owner, Raul, and his elderly German Shephard showed me my rooms and left me there alone - they live elsewhere and there were no other guests.

After settling in I left with map in hand to visit as many churches as I could before darkness fell. Mérida is much larger than Valladolid and not as polished and painted, but has a friendly feel and I was impressed with the variety of churches and neighborhoods in the central area. After dark there was live music in nearly every park area - from jazz to Mexican ranchera to rock.

In the morning I visited a few more churches and the wonderful Archaeological Museum before saying a surprisingly sad goodbye to Raul and Las Arecas and heading to the airport.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2011

This hotel was recommended by Luz en Yucatan because they did not have enough open rooms for us to stay at their place for our entire visit in Merida. I was excited from the online information about Las Arecas. The people who run the place, are friendly, helpful and polite. Our room was not available and they allowed us to keep our luggage there while we were busy during the day. We only stayed 2 days but I would probably not stay here again. The place is charming. Of course, very old, like everything in centro Merida but it could have been cleaner. I don’t mind plaster falling off the walls, simple furnishings and no breaksfast. I expect this at most budget hotels but I dropped an earring back and while searching, I realized the place had not been dusted in a long time. My allergies acted up and I had a miserable couple of days. The bed is comfortable, sheets clean and decent pillows. There is a TV and free wifi , so those are all a plus. We had a casita in the back, which all in all was charming., included a sink, hot plate and refrigerator. The shower had better water pressure than most budget hotels. On ground level , our front door led to a small courtyard with a few chairs and nice plants. There is a community kitchen and looks like you could even wash your clothes. A quaint parlor leads to the outside door. Only a few rooms and no pool . We only paid 400 pesos a day so the price is right. There are a few other local hotels that we passed that looked nice. Santa Lucia, and San Juan. Try these for price and amenities. The San Juan is located next door to Luz en Yucatan, so I am not sure why they recommended a place 10 blocks from them ,but my guess is they did not want to recommend any place that would have been nicer than theirs. Just a guess. If my theory is correct, the San Juan might me a good one to check out. Near the grand plaza, I noticed room rates at 220, 375, 500 and 600 pesos. If you are reading this, I know you are a budget minded traveler but you could do better then Las Arecas.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Las Arecas? Share your experiences!