“Excellent service and food” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #113 of 393 Restaurants in Merida
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Here you will find Merida’s best traditional food. Our specialties are made as they used to be using original recipes. Ingredients are carefully selected to achieve the authentic flavor we know you want to experience. Come visit us!, and you will know the true taste of Yucatecan cuisine!
“Excellent service and food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

If you are looking for traditional food from yucatan in downtown this is the perfect place, choose Miguel Angel to be your waiter the best service and guides you to choose food and drinks, also good ambience with a guitarist trobador .

London, United Kingdom
“Good food, but tip scam”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

We had a really lovely dinner until the bill arrived. The waiter had carefully crossed out the already included service charge (propina), and he then tried to include service charge again. Basically doubling his tip (200 pesos on 500 peso bill). I strongly suggest that you double check the bill and avoid using credit cards as they would not provide a printout of an allegedly declined transaction (no proof was provided) - we ended up paying cash. Overall a very bad experience. A couple sitting next to us had the same issue with the service charge.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Chicago, Illinois
“Good traditional Yucatecan fare”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

Our plan while in Mérida was to concentrate on traditional Yucatecan dishes and the menu at La Tradicion offers a number of choices. I started by ordering a beer I had never tried: Montejo. We had been handed a card by a street hawker good for one free drink, and while I didn’t intend to use it the waiter saw it on the table and “con permisso” picked it up, although a free drink never materialized. We started with delicious soups: I tried the Crema de Chaya and my wife had one of her favorites, Sopa de Lima. Both were excellent.

We ventured into the unknown with our entrees. Although a bit nervous, I decided to try the inky Pavo en Relleno Negro. I have to say that the gritty, ashy texture from the charred chiles is an acquired taste so I can’t hold it against the restaurant. I can now say I’ve tried it and let it go at that. My wife’s Queso Relleno was better, but there are so many flavors going on the dish seemed to lack direction. She found some pieces of what initially looked like wood but we determined to be large chunks of canella, the Mexican cinnamon.

The dining room was bustling and a singer performed some of my wife’s favorite songs, including some Gipsy Kings songs that are rarely heard in Mexico. Our bill came to 497 pesos, or 600 with tip ($48 US). We would return to La Tradicion but would order dishes that are a bit more approachable. Still, we are glad to have at least tried the dishes that we ordered.

Visited August 2013
San Francisco, California
“Wonderful Evening !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

This was our first trip to Merida and David the restaurant's owner, made us feel at home from the moment we arrived.

We traveled to Merida to visit family and see Uxmal, Celestun and Chichen Itza. My wife's cousin suggested we meet at La Tradicion. We were greeted at the door and welcomed to our table. The service was attentive, the food delicious, but it was the welcoming "home like" atmosphere that won me over. Over and over I thought this is nothing like Cancun and the people of Merida, are very proud to remind you "this is not Cancun".

Highly recommended!

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Jersey City, New Jersey
“Delicious food & friendly service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

We came in shortly before closing time, but that staff didn't seem at all put out by it and treated us very warmly. I had been dying to try papadzules, and the ones here did not disappoint. My husband, not usually a big fan of pork, took a chance on the poc chuc and loved it - said it was perfectly cooked. The papadzules were on the appetizer menu and were a perfect dinner size, and the poc chuc was HUGE. The chaya cocktail was also great - I'm glad the waiter suggested it.

• Visited August 2013