“Hell on earth” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Maria del Carmen

You added Hotel Maria del Carmen to your Saves list
Hotel Maria del Carmen
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle 63 No. 550 | Colonia Centro, Merida 97000, Mexico   |
Ranked #42 of 87 Hotels in Merida
Vista, California
“Hell on earth”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Do not stay here if you want to get some sleep.I had booked and prepaid this hotel for 4 nights.My room was on the 3rd floor facing the pool.Upon checkin the room was quiet,but in the early evening all hell broke loose.Screaming,yelling kids and their inconsiderate parents.I complained at the reception and asked to be given another room.No other room was available and at this time I was also told that there would be a party at the pool lasting until 1am.I ended up going to another hotel for the night so I could get some sleep, essentially paying for 2 hotel rooms for the same night.No manager on the premises to discuss the situation with and the reception personnel refused to give me a refund for the following nights since it was a special rate.The following day I was picked up at 9am for a tour at the hotel.Still no manager to talk to before or after my tour and I was stuck with the same room.The day thereafter I finally managed to speak to a manager and they were going to change my room.The new room also faced the pool and I immediately complained.I was then given another room further away from the pool.The room (as the one before) was very impractical,no chest of drawers to put your clothes or anywhere to hang them up.You basically have to live out of your suitcase.I attended the New Year's buffet and dance which was way overprized for the food offered. I had much better buffets on all the tours I took.At no point was I ever offered an apology for all that happened.The concept that someone would go to a hotel to get a good night's sleep is apparently alien to them.They could not understand that I wasn't delighted to be surrounded by screaming and yelling kids.Needless to say, I would not send my worst enemy there.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Polish first
Xalapa, Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights with our 10 month old baby. The location is great. We could walk anywhere in the downtown. The service was great. We had lots of bags as we were looking for a long term rental, and the bellhop was great at helping us with all the bags. The staff was great in recommending areas of town to look for rentals and the breakfast at the restaurant was good. The beds aren't the most comfortable, but for a couple nights were fine. It is not a new hotel. The pool area and lobby is nice. This is a basic hotel and met all our needs. Don't expect much English, which was not a problem for us. They do have a staff member of two that understands English as we found out from observing some guests that knew no Spanish. Beware, if you book through Expedia or an online site and get a really good rate ( I think we paid about 30.00 per night) , as with most hotels, you will get the smallest room they have, but we didn't mind, as price was the biggest attraction for us and we expected this. Overall I would recommend this hotel as a safe, clean, very cost effective option with a good location.

Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

This place serves it's purpose. Close to the central plaza, about 5 minutes easy walk. Air con works, beds comfortable. The rooms could do with some work. Shower has hot water but trying to turn off the water is an effort. Probably wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Mexico City, Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

I was very confortable when I was stay in this hotel on Dec, 2012. It was nice tariff if consider the location and facility. And I like "Happy hour" in the bar which is a price of beer for doble from 6pm to 9pm. Also staff were very kindly for me though I am Japanese.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

The hotel is centrally located and is reasonably priced (they had a great special - pay for two nights and get the third night free). Like the other reviews stated, this is not a luxury hotel but the rooms are clean, the air conditioning works, and the showers are great. The furniture is old and the beds are not the most comfortable but I have stayed at more expensive hotels in Merida and the beds feel the same. I loved the staff. They are very helpful and friendly. The hotel also provides free parking and internet, major pluses. I liked the hotel and I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Rooms that are not facing the street are the best.
las vegas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

The hotel is nice, simple and cheap... But yes they are missing on some maintenance points. The place itself is old and kind of used. But the service and the people are good enough. From check in to check out all the employees were very nice and friendly.

West Hollywood, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

I stayed at Maria del Carmen for a week in late September, 2012. This is not a luxury hotel, but it has many fine features , and very reasonable rates. The rooms are large, and everything seems to work. The air conditioning and the shower were fine. There is a beautiful swimming pool. The food in the restaurant was very good for breakfast , lunch , and dinner, and the service was excellent. Manuel, Johnny, and Adan were always helpful. It is about 4 blocks from the main plaza.
I expect to stay at the Maria del Carmen on my next visit to Merida.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Maria del Carmen? Share your experiences!