“Ambience OK, food not so...” 2 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #136 of 410 Restaurants in Merida
Cuisines: Mexican, International
Good for: Doing business, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Entertaining clients, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Description: From the Mayan world, in southeastern Mexico, in an authentic colonial house, El Portico del Peregrino offers a courtyard filled with exotic tropical plants in an outdoor dining area.El Portico del Peregrino will make you feel in the middle of Mexico's colonial era, while in the same way you can enjoy the comforts of modern times.
New York
“Ambience OK, food not so...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2009

My wife and I were in Merida for 3 nights and ate here one night upon local recommendation. The courtyard in the back where we were seated is quaint and cozy. Mostly tourists that night.

The service was reasonably good, but we were dissatisfied with the food. I ordered the red snapper and my wife ordered the Arrachera steak. Her steak which we asked for medium was cooked to well done, and simply had no taste. My snapper was also super-bland and came with the famous mayonaisse-filled tomato mentioned by another reviewer. We had a tough time finishing due to lack of taste, which is truly unusual for us. "Terrible" might be too strong an adjective so I will give it 2 stars. But the food was really lacking flavor which tainted any other positive experience we could have had there.

Not recommended.

PA
“Solid dining experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2009

We visited el Portico on a Sunday night. We found the patio atmosphere to be pleasant. The service is passable, not great, but friendly enough. The ceviche starter was very fresh and tasty. The Red Snapper was tender and quite good, albeit a bit bland. The eggplant chicken dish was good traditional fare. Overall, our experience was good. (The Yucatecan beers were surprisingly good.) Try the coconut ice cream with kalua!

Vancouver Island
“Pilgrim's Refuge”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2008

Step into the courtyard ambience of Portico Del Peregrino. After a long hot, Meridan day, there is nothing quite like unwinding in this beautiful Pilgrim's refuge.

The menu is varied, with many fresh seafood options. While many people wonder at the safety of eating seafood in Mexico, I must amuse you and say, it is the only restaurant in the world, where I have enjoyed a seafood dish! (I don't regularly enjoy seafood.) - the conch ceviche is both refreshing and tastey.

The red snapper marinaded in lime juice is a Yucatecan delight. The Sopa de Lima was so tastey and refreshing, I researched many recipes online, before discovering one that would taste just like the soup they serve here. They also have many options on their menu for people like me, who don't 'usually' eat seafood.

I've eaten at this restaurant on several occasions, and have never left disappointed. It is fine cuisine. I believe for "high end" eating in Merida, the prices are an extreme bargain.

My first experience here was in 1996, and have eaten here in both 2006 and 2007. Nothing has changed. It is still my favorite 'pilgrims refuge' in Merida!

Charlotte
“Romantic evening”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2008

We had a wonderful dinner at Portico del Peregrino on our last night in Merida. The patio is small but very pretty. The waiters were very attentive and we spent a lot of time in conversation with one waiter who spoke excellent English.

We had conch ceviche, sopa de lima, and snapper meuniere. The ceviche was excellent with large pieces of conch. Caution - it also included the most onion I have had in a ceviche. The sopa de lima was fine. The snapper was excellent and very fresh. We finished off with coconut ice cream and kahlua. The wine list was quite small but we found an Austrailian Chardonnay that was very pleasant with the meal.

Unlike the previous reviewer, the only item we saw with mayonnaise was a small tomato that had a swirl of mayonnaise as a garnish.

All in all, a very pleasant evening and a great way to end our visit.

San Francisco
“Bland, Bland, Bland”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2008

So, our travel book raved about this place. It's a bit pricey for Merida but we wanted something romantic and were pulled in by the description of the candlelit patio, crisp waiters, and delicious food.

Patio: Gorgeous

Waiters: Very crisp looking, very slow moving (It is Mexico so this is acceptable), but they also had to be reminded about the wine we ordered 2x's, and they forgot one of our dishes but charged us for it.

Food: YUCK. The food was so bland, neither my husband nor I could finish our food. Explain this to me: plain Mayonnaise as a topping on most eveything? YUCK! My husband and I had a long discussion about this restaurant and we both agreed that this place seemed to be cooking for the palates of Americans and/or Europeans who aren't used to the flavors of Yucatecan or Mexican cooking. Or, in other words, people who want bland food. We will never go back.

The Positives: They had some decent wines.The food was eatable. It did not makes either of us sick. And if you like bland food and mayo then this might perfect for you.