“Hotel is not safe” 2 of 5 stars

Calle Carlos Lazo, Isla Mujeres, Mexico   |
Puerto Vallarta
“Hotel is not safe”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2008

I just got back from Isla Mujeres and had such a wonderful relaxing trip. It truly is beautiful there with an amazing ocean that is quite similar to swimming in a pool!! My entire experience was great EXCEPT for the hotel I stayed in. SEA HAWK HOTEL is NOT a safe hotel. I stayed in room 4 which is the first floor above ground. It has a balcony and a nice view of the beach. The room itself was great!! Clean, comfortable with very nice taste in furniture etc. However, one night someone entered our room while we were sleeping and stole my laptop!!! What was even more scary was they stole $500 pesos (equivalente to $50 usd) from my shorts pocket which was on the floor right next to my bed!!! I did not hear or sense a thing!! I had slept with the screen door (no lock) closed. In the morning I saw that it had been open and my laptop, money, 2 pareos and an undershirt of all things missing. The owner (can't remember his name) was great about it. He filed a police report and later gave me new pareos as his wife owns a gift shop. What disturbs me the most is that the owner tells me it's not the first time something like this has happened and when I looked at the building from outside, I realize it takes only a hop and a jump to climb up to the balconies!! The fact that this has happened before and that nothing has been done to the building to avoid it happening again, worries me. I think a little barbwire would prevent anyone climbing. And if they don't want to do anything to the building they should atleast WARN their customers to sleep with the airconditioning on and lock the sliding door. Some might ask why I would sleep with an unlocked door. Maybe that was stupid but, it was hot and I don't like airconditioning and the last thing on my mind was that someone would actually climb up to the balcony!! The positive to all this is that I didn't wake up while the robber was in the room and that a laptop can always be replaced!! I would definately stay there again ONLY if I saw that they've done something to secure the building.

• Liked — Recently remodeled, clean, nice taste in the decor.
  • Disliked — Not safe. Did not have a lock on the screen door. Was robbed.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2008

We stayed at the Sea Hawks in Aug of 2007. We rented the lower 2 units. I took my daughter and 3 of her friends to the Isla for a break before they all started collage. The rooms were large. The 1 had 1 double bed and 1 single, the other had a double. The rooms have hammocks also. We love having the coffee maker and frig. It saved the girls$$$ to be able to eat breakfast in and make lunches to take to the beach. The rooms were very clean. They also provided bottled drinking water. We loved the location close to North Beach and town. I would stay there again, but would like to try one of the upper units so I could enjoy the views!

• Liked — Price and location
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2008

Seahawk is close to the Playa Norte (>300 yards) and easy walking distance from downtown (but far enough away to be quiet). Our room was clean, peaceful and secure. We were able to stay nice and cool with the ceiling fans and lattice windows. The owners were friendly and helpful. Daily maid service was a refreshing change from our last stay at Casitas del Mar. The beds were reasonably comfortable by Mexican standards. The dive crew hanging around the shop during the day were friendly and entertaining.

Definitely will stay there again. and recommend it to anyone who's looking for a no-frills, quality stay.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — hard beds and unpredictable shower temperatures
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
tigerdrew
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2007

Stayed in a rental house for 6 nights and then moved here, to Sea Hawk for 3 nights during xmas '07. I gotta say, I loved this place. We had a "King Suite" (room #5 of 5) at 1,000P per night including tax. The owners, Ariel and his Canadian wife, were usually around b/c they also operate the dive shop at the front.

Pro's include the room's big shaded balcony that's high enough for a breeze and overlooking mostly jungle, the attractive room interior, and most-of-all location. It is located 100 yards from the best section of Playa Norte and a 3 minute walk to the nightlife of Ave. Hidalgo.

Cons include the lack of pool & TV, the run-down sun deck on our roof, and some patches around the premises in need of fresh paint.

Also, I did a "Discover Scuba" dive with them whereby a novice gets to try diving. It was great. They have 2 boats, both approx 24 feet and their dive groups tended to be small from what I saw.

• Liked — location, balcony
  • Disliked — the hammock wasn't the kind with a bar in it! they really are more comfortable.
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Sea Hawk? Share your experiences!