“Perfect Place to Experience the Real Isla Mujeres” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Zina's Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Isla Mujeres
Zina's Guest House
You added Zina's Guest House to your Saves list
Quintana Roo, Isla Mujeres 77400, Mexico   |
Ranked #14 of 28 Isla Mujeres B&B and Inns
Vancouver, Canada
“Perfect Place to Experience the Real Isla Mujeres”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2010

After a couple of visits to Isla staying in Centro, my girlfriend and I decided to explore and experience the neighbourhoods, especially La Gloria.

Zina's couldn't have been a better place to stay, and we couldn't have asked for a better host. The apartment was spacious and comfortable, with a huge shared rooftop patio featuring an outdoor bed, hammock, chairs and table.

She stocked a few goodies in our fridge, and took us on a tour of the area on the first day. Zina also invited us along on a couple of outings to some of her favourite places. She was a great source of information about the island.

The location is perfect. Minutes away from a beach, a few blocks away from the grocery store, and surrounded by fantastic -- and cheap -- places to eat.

By the end of our two-week stay, we'd come to recognize and really appreciate the sounds and rhythms of La Gloria, from the tortilla seller cycling by in the morning to the kids playing in streets in the evening.

It was such a refreshing change to be greeted by smiles and greetings on the street, instead of the constant selling of Centro.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2010

My satisfaction with Zina's Guest House is routine. But this time was different: I came for dental work. During my September trip, Zina had a dental appointment with Dr. Canales and we went with her because we were going to go to Miguels's Moon Lite after her appointment for a drink and dinner. I was impressed with his office and knowledge. She later explained the plan he had outlined to repair an implant gone bad.

Zina made an appointment for me and I was sitting in Dr. Canales chair within two hours of landing at the Cancun airport. He explained the procedure and Zina translated. I understood some of the procedure and remembered that he told me he would take two impressions.

Dinner was fish tacos which I had been looking forward to for months. next day, breakfast, beach, shower and back to Dr. Canales office to begin the preparation work for my crown. The first thing I noticed was his preparation of a syringe with local anesthetic, one of the "caines." I made a face and covered my mouth. Dr. Caneles held the syringe with needle pointing to the ceiling and looked at me and nodded his head meaning "Yes you are!" "Open!"

I have never had an experience with Novocaine that was not painful. My eyes tear up and my jaw clenches and it burns terribly. Dr. Canales rubbed my jaw for several moments and then placed the first injection. He rubbed my lower jaw and placed the second. It was totally pain free. I tried to explain to him that "it was a good shot." After working on the tooth he took an impression and told me to come back the next day at the same time.

Zina must have thought I was nuts when I walked into her living room and announced, "I love your dentist." Anu dentist who can give me a poinless injection is my hero. Next day, same routine, beach, shower and back to Dr. Canales. He got outhis syringe again and I opened my mouth before he had a chance to say "Open!" Another two, totally painless injections. That man knows what he is doing.

He reworked the site and made another impression and one of the opposing tooth so my bite would nit be compromised. He explained that he would telephone Zina when the crown was ready to be inserted in my mouth. Eight days from my arrival on Isla, I had my crown. My USA dentist gave me a bid of $845. Dr. Canales charged me $400. That includees four office visits and two impressions and the final crown. Returning in September for periodontal work. Dentistry in Paradise.

Communication was not a problem. Dr. Canales knows the basics of dentistry in English and medical terminology is somewhat universal.

Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2010

My husband and I had a wonderful 10 day stay at Zina's. We weren't looking to stay at an expensive beach resort - we wanted a real feel for the island and to stay in the heart of the neighborhood, and that we did! The room was inexpensive and simple, but was everything we were expecting, and Zina was a fantastic host. She took us all over the island and showed us places we would never have found for ourselves. If you're looking for the real Isla experience, stay here!!!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2010

It was our second time to the island and we decided to stay out of the resort area to get a better feel and look of Isla ( and we did ). Zina the owner of the guest house is now my island mom. She showed us parts of the island that we had never seen. It was the best time ever. We met so many people, we felt like we were from Isla by the end of our 2 week stay. The second week we stayed at a time share resort but we still found ourselves coming back to Zina's. She is so fun to be around. I love the neighborhood, we had the best grilled chicken, mangos and her dog was so much fun to play with and hang out with because I missed my dogs so much. When we go back to Isla we will stay at Zina's guest house for sure, no doubt. I miss Zina and the island so much!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Union Pier, MI.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2010

Everything everyone has written about Zina's is TRUE !!! Zina is a fantastic host & her guest house was just what we were looking for at a very affordable price. We were first-timers to Isla Mujeres & Zina was very helpful with information & advise about getting to the island & all other aspects about our visit like who to tip & who not to tip & how much to tip. Zina also took us to local eateries & private beaches regular tourists would not find. We had some of the best meals of our lives at fantastic prices. She knows this island & the island knows her. While Zina's is nothing fancy, it's a bargain in paradise !!!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Madison, WI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2010

If you want to stay in a neighborhood with the sights and sounds of life being lived all around you, come to Zina's. Zina has 2 lovely apartments. We stayed in the downstairs one for a week. It is quite roomy and at a great price. As a nice surprise there's a small pool on the rooftop terrace. We loved being in the heart of the colonia. Zina was a wonderful host. We arrived on Valentine's Day, she had chocolates waiting for us and then took us out for a tour of the island in her golf cart. We went out for several meals with her, Sunday morning she took us around the corner for the local pork specialty and then to a marvelous fruit stand where we returned every morning for fresh papaya, pineapple, and melon. Zina's tips on where to eat, to swim and to snorkel really enriched our time on Isla.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Dallas TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2010

This holiday season was my fourth annual Xmas/New Year's visit to Isla Mujeres, an island I have visited many times, my home away from home. This time I managed to get away from Los Estados Unidos de Gringolandia for almost three weeks.

My home in my home away from home is Zina's Guest House in Colonia La Gloria: a modest apartment, simple but with most of the comforts of home...a kitchenette where I actually cooked a breakfast on New Years Day, A/C (which we did use a few times) Cable TV/DVD/CD, adequate storage and closet space.

This was the first time I shared the space with someone else, a significant other, and I was a bit apprehensive about space. Well, I shouldn't have worried, because we were together in the apartment for 10 days and had no problems with the apartment.

The weather was a bit too cool to take advantage of the rooftop pool, but it is nice. We did set up breakfast out there on the roof deck early one Sunday morning when some friends joined us for Cochinita Pibil (Mayan style pulled pork tacos)

And Cochinita Pibil is one great reason for staying at Zina's in Colonia La Gloria: the colonia (neighborhood) is a real neighborhood, where real people live...during the holiday season, I like being away from the crowds and noise of El Centro.

And the greatest asset of Zina's Guest House is Zina herself. She knows her island, she knows what is hot and what is not. She steered us towards Mango Cafe for a couple of great meals, and Zina usually knows where to find what when you need something.

I have written reviews of Zina's before, and I think I want to close this one by pointing out that I continue to return to Zina's Guest House every year and I continue to write positive reviews of my stays there. I cannot think of a higher compliment or recommendation. I am already planning on my Holiday 2010-2011 visit and I intend to stay at Zina's again.

If you appreciate good value in accomodation, if you appreciate the amenities of apartment living while on vacation, if you would like the services of a concierge type landlady, if you would like a little more relative peace and quiet from the tourist hordes, then Zina's might be a good place for you too.

• Stayed January 2010

Been to Zina's Guest House? Share your experiences!