“CAREY DIVE CENTER IS TOP NOTCH!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: Carey Dive Center PADI Dive Resort #23814 is one of the most well-established and experienced dive shops on the island. We specialize in PADI diving courses, families, groups and private trips. We not only offer diving, but also snorkeling, fishing, whale shark tours and cenote excursions. Gilberto Pat Hoil is the PADI scuba dive instructor and owner at Carey Dive Center. He has been awarded by PADI for 20 years of outstanding service. He is one of the most experienced scuba dive instructors in Isla Mujeres.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Apple Valley, California
“CAREY DIVE CENTER IS TOP NOTCH!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

Our group of 7 just got back from our trip to Isla Mujeres where we went diving with Carey Dive Center for multiple dives. They were great from the planning stages all the way through. They always gave quick responses and answered all my questions. They were professional yet fun and friendly and worked with our entire group which wasn't always an easy task. ;) I couldn't recommend them more to anyone wanting to dive there. Thank you, thank you Carey Dive Center and everyone there for making our dive trip a pure delight!

Visited July 2013
KittyMoPink, Public Relations Manager at Carey Dive Center, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Thank you for your positive review of Carey Dive Center. We are really pleased that you had a good time diving with us. Look forward to seeing you next time!

Arizona
7 attraction reviews
“Carey always wonderful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

Having booked wiih Gilberto at Carey before, this was the place we tried for our latest trip. Gilbert took wonderful care of us all...keeping in mind all our individual abilities. For all 3 of us...myself. my wife and 12 year old grandson...a super trip to swim with the whale sharks...for my grandson, his first scuba experience was professionally handled and was a day he won't stop talking about. For myself 4 dives suited to my ability lever (100+ dives)...Don't waste your time when booking dive/snorkel trips to Isla...Go right to the Carey website

Visited June 2013
KittyMoPink, Public Relations Manager at Carey Dive Center, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Thank you for such a positive review. We are very happy that you enjoyed Carey Dive Center and Isla Mujeres!
San Francisco
“Bad Experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

I recently returned from a trip to Isla Mujeras, where we hoped to do some diving, and based on some other reviews on Scuba Boards, tried Carey Dive Center. I set the entire thing up over email, with lots of good info coming from them, and we agreed that I would meet them at 8:00am at their shop. I called that morning, only to find them not there, and not able to give me a firm answer on whether we would dive (rough weather). I suggested that it would be better to get an answer over the phone rather than show up with all my dive gear in tow, if in fact we were not going to be able to dive. To no avail, they asked I swing by at 9, since they couldn't give me an answer. Later, they revealed they weren't even on the island yet- returning from a trip on the mainland. Strike one. I got to the office, was greated by someone who said I still had to wait for the main guy- Gilberto. I'm not sure if they were having an off day, or it was the rough weather, but they were rude, over-charged us the single dive rate instead of the agreed-upon rate when we had to cancel the second dive due to weather. They even had the audacity to try to make the cost issue about me not feeling well in the swells, when in fact the captain and the dive master when we arrived on site said we would likely have to cancel the second dive, and, after surfacing post-dive, also said we need to return and cancel the dive. Now, I don't need concierge service, but getting out of the boat, carrying my BCD, camera, fins and dive bag- with no free hands, the captain asked me to carry the weight belt, and the same with my GF who was similarly laden. This, after landing back on shore and the dive master simply getting off the boat instructing us to carry our stuff several blocks back to the dive office. The lack of regard and general helpfulness was pretty appalling. We probably shouldn't have gone out at all- but it was clear that in low-season, this crew wanted to make a buck. The boat was TINY and decrepit, was thrown around in the swells, and only had one engine- when almost all other outfits have two engines for redundancy. I will of course never use Carey again, and would suggest you check out one of the larger shops on the island with larger, safer, better maintained boats, and with a crew that is, at a minimum, helpful.

Visited June 2013
KittyMoPink, Public Relations Manager at Carey Dive Center, responded to this review, June 16, 2013
We are sorry that you did not have a good experience diving with us.

The weekend you were in Isla Mujeres there was a tropical storm with a huge amount of rain and serious flooding. The highways were closed and the schools were shut down for a whole week. On the Sunday that you had arranged to dive with us at 8am the port had been closed by the harbour master and there was no scuba diving that day. This should have been more clearly communicated to you at 8am when you called us at the dive shop. For this we apologize.

When you returned on Monday, the weather was still not good. But you chose to go ahead and dive. You completed one dive but due to your seasickness and worsening weather conditions the second dive was canceled. You were charged $55 for your dive trip, we were unable to discount this any further due to your seasickness or the weather conditions. (The normal price for a two tank dive in $75).

All our divers, without fail, carry all their own equipment the very short distance (80 meters) from our shop to the boat, which is just across the street, not 'several blocks'. We have never had anyone complain about this before or make an issue about this before.

There were only two of you going on the trip so you went in our smaller boat, which is certainly big enough for two divers and only requires one engine. The boat is in good working order.

Again, we are sorry you weren't completely satisfied with Carey Dive Center. We believe the severe weather conditions during the time you were in Isla Mujeres did not help your experience.
Franklin, Tennessee, United States
“Gilberto & Carey Dive Center Rocked It!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

I hadn't dived in 20 years when a couple of friends (one had never dived and it had been 20 years for the other as well) booked a "learn to scuba" class with Carey Dive Center and Gilberto. Several things impressed me:

1) I was able to phone Gilberto and discuss our booking in English; 2) I was able to email Gilberto and ask questions and receive responses in very good English; 3) He was a lot of fun but very attentive and serious about making sure we knew enough to dive; 4) He let us decide where we wanted to go; 5) He stayed with my friend on both dives and held her hand throughout both dives since she was a little apprehensive; 6) He was very patient with her as she had difficulty equalizing on both descents; 7) He kept very good track of where we all were on both dives; 8) We saw a sleeping shark, barracuda, sea turtle, and many, many other fish. He and his colleagues were outstanding and I would definitely go again with Gilberto and Carey Dive Center. Highly Recommend!

Visited May 2013
KittyMoPink, Public Relations Manager at Carey Dive Center, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Thank you so much for such a great review. It's good to hear that you were happy with Carey Dive Center and we look forward to diving with you again one day soon.
Broomfield, Colorado
“Gilbert's the best!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

After a bad experience in Hawaii a couple of years ago I wasn’t sure I’d ever want to dive again. I was also dealing with a torn rotator cuff which meant I wouldn’t be able to bear any weight with my shoulder. But we decided to give it a try while we were in Isla. Based on TripAdvisor reviews we decided to check out Carey and the (then) top-ranked dive shop. Within five minutes of walking into Carey and talking to Gilbert I knew this was the one. Gilbert said he could take us out the next day with just one other couple, and promised that he would take the time and attention necessary to make me feel comfortable underwater, a promise he made good and then some. The first dive shop we talked to wanted $47 to do a refresher course, but Carey offers the refresher for free if you buy a two-tank dive. We watched a PADI video, then went for a practice dip in shallow water on the way to the dive site. Before we left Gilbert went over exactly what we were going to do on the practice “dive,” which lasted just a few minutes. He had me get in the water and then put on my BCD for me so that I wouldn’t have any stress on my shoulder. At the beginning of the practice I had that initial panicky no-way-can-I-do-this feeling, but he just stayed with me and kept me breathing, and by the end of those few minutes I felt a lot more comfortable. He also stayed with me for the descent on the first dive and made sure I was ok before checking on another diver who was having trouble descending. After just a few minutes I actually was at ease enough to start looking around and remember why I enjoyed diving in the first place. We went to the Underwater Museum and Atlantis. The museum was interesting, and we did see (thanks to Gilberto’s good eye) a ray that was buried in the sand and then took off swimming. We also saw some unusual (to me) purple coral and a number of colorful fish. Overall the dive sites were nice though not as good as others we’ve seen – the reefs around Cancun and Isla have taken a terrible beating from overfishing and too many divers and snorkelers. But Gilberto was wonderful and I would dive with him again in a heartbeat. He also speaks excellent English and is a pleasure to talk to. He gave us a number of tips on restaurants, golf cart rentals, etc. In addition to diving and snorkeling, he also does tours including to Isla Contoy, which sadly we didn’t have time for this trip.

Visited May 2013