“Excellent low cost hotel in town with friendly staff.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Plaza Almendros

You added Hotel Plaza Almendros to your Saves list
Hotel Plaza Almendros
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Av. Hidalgo Lote 14, Sm 1, Mz. 18, Isla Mujeres 77500, Mexico   |
Ranked #17 of 36 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
Vancouver,WA.
“Excellent low cost hotel in town with friendly staff.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

We spent 9 nights at Plaza Almendros on a last minute trip and rented three rooms. The location was on Hildago in the middle of the restaurants and bars. Though it was busy outside the hotel it was quiet inside. The beds were typically hard but the maid used a folded blanket under our mattress pad which made it acceptable.The staff was very friendly and the rooms were cleaned well each day. The location is a close walk to the beach yet very affordable. The staff is very friendly and make you feel at home. The couple in the room overlooking the street said when the door was shut it was quiet, our room overlooking the pool was quiet and the poolside room was also quiet. If you are looking for a clean, friendly, in town hotel for a great rate this is it. The pool was cold this time of year but we went to the beach or a beach club to get in the ocean or a pool.I would recommend this location for close by services.Nice relaxing pool/courtyard area to gather.Any of the four restaurants at the Mercado located behind the hotel for breakfast is one of the best deals in downtown.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking or around the pool if being "quiet" is a concern, but with the...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

The location is perfect and price is right. Room was basic but clean. The grounds were in need of some care, the grass was about 6" tall. The frig made a loud noise everytime it came on so we turned it off at night. The last night the ceiling was leaking. There is no hair dryer and no ice machine on the prioperty. They do not provide drinking water but there is a store across the street. I can surprised at how quiet it was. There was only one other family there but I suspect if it were crowded it would be noisy as the walls seemed a little on the thin side. The WIFI was very slow and I kept getting bumped off. But all that said, I would recommend to a friend wanting a primo location with a pool for a cheap rate.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

We stayed at Plaza Almendros for three weeks from May 16th to June 6th. Believe this is 6th or 7th stay at this hotel. All you can ask for in an inexpensive hotel. Nice pool, comfortable room with some cooking equipment, great service. 2 blocks to North Beach.
Warning: As a previous reviewer stated book room directly with hotel booking services play games to pick your pocket, One friend stayed elsewhere when told room was booked, and hotel vacancy rate at the time, late May, when occupancy less than 40%.. These services addd fees that are non existant. Taxes are included in roomrates so there should be no additional fees. Go to Plaza almendros web site and book direct.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Fort Myers, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2012

I stayed at the Plaza Almendros for 7 nights in May 2012. The location of this hotel is perfect for those people who like to be close to restaurants and shops on Ave. Hildalgo. The beach is about 3 blocks away for those who need waterfront. From the street, this hotel looks a bit shabby, but after entering the lobby, which opens onto the pool and sleeping area, there is a charm that grows on you as the days go by. The pool, with large palm trees, chaise lounges, and the patio area of rooms with sliding glass doors looking out---make a nice ambience. Every room has a refrigerator, microwave, toaster, coffee pot, and some basic dishes and silverware. I found this mini-kitchen very useful.

The maid service is exceptional as mentioned by others!! The front desk was always helpful and smiing.

The room air conditioners are a bit noisey, but I did get used to that. Their is a large shower, but no tub for those wanting to soak. Rooms with one double bed or 2 doubles were available.
I was NOT bothered by any street noise. I found the ground floor rooms very quiet in general.
No fitness center. No restaurant in the hotel, but not necessary.--This hotel is truly surrounded by every type of restaurant imaginable.

The occupancy was very low in May.---Not a holiday time. BUT, the management should know that if you try to book this hotel on HOTEL.COM---It returns a web-page saying---No vacancies.
THAT IS WRONG......And when that happened to me, I corresponded directly with the hotel.

And yes, I would recommend this hotel to others---I had a single room and was meeting up with friends and family. Great for this sort of holiday.

Room Tip: Corner rooms 12 and 13 are furthest from street and have 2 beds. I had room 11 which was fine for a...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

We stayed here for a week in March 2012. Booked an air/hotel package for 3 people through Orbitz. I had requested a room overlooking the pool with two double beds. About a month before our trip, my daughter decided to join us. I emailed the hotel, mentioning there would be one more person in our room and we would be happy to pay the extra person fee. Also reminded them that we wanted a room overlooking the pool with two double beds. Well, they didn't have any the first night so we had one king-size bed and they brought in two cots. We were on the second floor overlooking Hidalgo. I think those rooms have been remodeled because the tile looked newer and maybe they were slightly bigger. But like other people mentioned, it was very noisy. The next day they moved us to a ground floor room overlooking the pool with two double beds. The rooms are very basic, beds are hard, but very clean. Shower is large, always had hot water, although the water pressure in the first room on the second floor was not as good as the first floor room. There aren't any dressers to put clothes in, only one closet, so we basically lived out of our suitcase (that would be the only negative thing I could think of). Rooms come with air conditioning, ceiling fan, safe, fridge, microwave, toaster and coffee maker (but you have to buy your own coffee). We never used the pool but it seemed like there were quite a few people who stayed by the pool during the day. There are some lounge chairs in the grass. We had a small patio with a little table and two chairs. There also was free wi-fi; sometimes it worked in the room but usually you had to go to the lobby. There were also two computers you could use (for free) in the lobby and a small collection of books if you needed something to read. Towels were provided for the beach and they were a nice size. All in all, a good value. The only negative thing I had was the room key. No one in our family (except my husband) could open the door to the room. The rooms on the second floor have a hallway; rooms on the bottom open up to the courtyard. It was kind of a funky looking skeleton key and if I was staying without my husband, I would never have been able to get in the room. Also, the extra person fee was $20/night which I thought was a little much for providing only an extra towel. Most of the other hotels only charged $10 extra per night. The location of this hotel, right on Hidalgo, made it very convenient.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the pool are quieter. Next time, tho, I'd like a room on the second floor ove...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
British Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2012

Thank you to everyone at Hotel plaza almendros, for making our extended stay wonderful!!!

My husband & I stayed for 18 days, at this underrated hotel, Cleaning bedding daily, fresh towels, housekeeping exceptional,( thank you .ladies!) This was an excellent stay,everything was very handy in location , we have stayed on the Island two other occasions...one of them at Nautibeach....but this was our favorite.....the front desk staff always pleasant, and helpful. We will most certainly return. The only thing missing........here goes.....a hot plate......two burners, and a pot or electric frypan......that would complete these rooms.......but know this I m not complaining !!! Just adding some info thats all.......so once again, thank you Plaza Almendros, for making our 18 days so comfortable!!!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

Perfect for families with children, Plaza Almendros is quiet and secure, but in the middle of all the action on Hidalgo Street. Hidalgo is the pedestrian only street running north to south in the middle of Centro (downtown) Isla Mujeres, Mexico. The hotel is surrounded by excellent restaurants and is only a couple of blocks from the world famous Playa Norte (North Beach). Worth a look.

Room Tip: Quiet rooms are interior rooms. People watching rooms are upstairs facing Hidalgo.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Plaza Almendros? Share your experiences!