“Very Good Budget Hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Plaza Almendros

Save Saved
You added Hotel Plaza Almendros to your Saves list
Hotel Plaza Almendros
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Av. Hidalgo Lote 14, Sm 1, Mz. 18, Isla Mujeres 77500, Mexico   |
Ranked #13 of 35 hotels in Isla Mujeres
Fort Myers, FL
“Very Good Budget Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2012

I stayed at the Plaza Almendros for 7 nights in May 2012. The location of this hotel is perfect for those people who like to be close to restaurants and shops on Ave. Hildalgo. The beach is about 3 blocks away for those who need waterfront. From the street, this hotel looks a bit shabby, but after entering the lobby, which opens onto the pool and sleeping area, there is a charm that grows on you as the days go by. The pool, with large palm trees, chaise lounges, and the patio area of rooms with sliding glass doors looking out---make a nice ambience. Every room has a refrigerator, microwave, toaster, coffee pot, and some basic dishes and silverware. I found this mini-kitchen very useful.

The maid service is exceptional as mentioned by others!! The front desk was always helpful and smiing.

The room air conditioners are a bit noisey, but I did get used to that. Their is a large shower, but no tub for those wanting to soak. Rooms with one double bed or 2 doubles were available.
I was NOT bothered by any street noise. I found the ground floor rooms very quiet in general.
No fitness center. No restaurant in the hotel, but not necessary.--This hotel is truly surrounded by every type of restaurant imaginable.

The occupancy was very low in May.---Not a holiday time. BUT, the management should know that if you try to book this hotel on HOTEL.COM---It returns a web-page saying---No vacancies.
THAT IS WRONG......And when that happened to me, I corresponded directly with the hotel.

And yes, I would recommend this hotel to others---I had a single room and was meeting up with friends and family. Great for this sort of holiday.

Room Tip: Corner rooms 12 and 13 are furthest from street and have 2 beds. I had room 11 which was fine for a...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

105 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

We stayed here for a week in March 2012. Booked an air/hotel package for 3 people through Orbitz. I had requested a room overlooking the pool with two double beds. About a month before our trip, my daughter decided to join us. I emailed the hotel, mentioning there would be one more person in our room and we would be happy to pay the extra person fee. Also reminded them that we wanted a room overlooking the pool with two double beds. Well, they didn't have any the first night so we had one king-size bed and they brought in two cots. We were on the second floor overlooking Hidalgo. I think those rooms have been remodeled because the tile looked newer and maybe they were slightly bigger. But like other people mentioned, it was very noisy. The next day they moved us to a ground floor room overlooking the pool with two double beds. The rooms are very basic, beds are hard, but very clean. Shower is large, always had hot water, although the water pressure in the first room on the second floor was not as good as the first floor room. There aren't any dressers to put clothes in, only one closet, so we basically lived out of our suitcase (that would be the only negative thing I could think of). Rooms come with air conditioning, ceiling fan, safe, fridge, microwave, toaster and coffee maker (but you have to buy your own coffee). We never used the pool but it seemed like there were quite a few people who stayed by the pool during the day. There are some lounge chairs in the grass. We had a small patio with a little table and two chairs. There also was free wi-fi; sometimes it worked in the room but usually you had to go to the lobby. There were also two computers you could use (for free) in the lobby and a small collection of books if you needed something to read. Towels were provided for the beach and they were a nice size. All in all, a good value. The only negative thing I had was the room key. No one in our family (except my husband) could open the door to the room. The rooms on the second floor have a hallway; rooms on the bottom open up to the courtyard. It was kind of a funky looking skeleton key and if I was staying without my husband, I would never have been able to get in the room. Also, the extra person fee was $20/night which I thought was a little much for providing only an extra towel. Most of the other hotels only charged $10 extra per night. The location of this hotel, right on Hidalgo, made it very convenient.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the pool are quieter. Next time, tho, I'd like a room on the second floor ove...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
British Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2012

Thank you to everyone at Hotel plaza almendros, for making our extended stay wonderful!!!

My husband & I stayed for 18 days, at this underrated hotel, Cleaning bedding daily, fresh towels, housekeeping exceptional,( thank you .ladies!) This was an excellent stay,everything was very handy in location , we have stayed on the Island two other occasions...one of them at Nautibeach....but this was our favorite.....the front desk staff always pleasant, and helpful. We will most certainly return. The only thing missing........here goes.....a hot plate......two burners, and a pot or electric frypan......that would complete these rooms.......but know this I m not complaining !!! Just adding some info thats all.......so once again, thank you Plaza Almendros, for making our 18 days so comfortable!!!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

Perfect for families with children, Plaza Almendros is quiet and secure, but in the middle of all the action on Hidalgo Street. Hidalgo is the pedestrian only street running north to south in the middle of Centro (downtown) Isla Mujeres, Mexico. The hotel is surrounded by excellent restaurants and is only a couple of blocks from the world famous Playa Norte (North Beach). Worth a look.

Room Tip: Quiet rooms are interior rooms. People watching rooms are upstairs facing Hidalgo.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2012

We stayed in an upper room over Hildago. While this was fun during the day it was a nightmare after 1 am. Even with the AC running, the fan on and a radio the noise from the 3 bars competing to be the loudest was a big factor in not being able to sleep.
The room itself was large and well kept. Everything was in good working order and very clean. Housekeeping did a great job. The front desk people were always very helpful. We did not use the lobby computer or pool area so cannot comment on that. We had ok wireless reception in our room , although our friends down the hall had none in their room (which they did not expect to have anyway).
Only other negative besides noise was the tour guy in the front entrance door. He was a bit agressive and when we returned from snorkelling with a different company was a bit of a jerk...but he did leave us alone after that.
If we could get a pool side room I would return, but never again on the Hildago side!!!!

Room Tip: Don't pick a room over Hildago!!!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Saskatoon, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

We were here 2 nites January 2012. The desk staff was very helpful and friendly, but the room was on the expensive side for what we got. The room is very basic and the place could use some upkeep, but basically clean. The location is ideal, right on the main pedestrian street where most of the restaurants and shops are.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2012

Just got home from a week in Isla. We've been going once or twice a year for 9 years. Last minute decisions caused us to look for new accomidations! Only tip I would add is that if you have children ask for the ground level. Without children the 2nd floor is perfect. Enjoy!!!!

Room Tip: See above. Children with parents :) will enjoy the pool!!!!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Plaza Almendros? Share your experiences!