“just perfect” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Bucaneros

You added Hotel Bucaneros to your Saves list
Hotel Bucaneros
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Av. Hidalgo #11 | Colonia Centro, entre Av. Madero y Av. Abasolo, Isla Mujeres 77400, Mexico   |
Ranked #12 of 36 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
Saint Louis, Missouri
“just perfect”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2006

We just got back from a short weekend trip. The hotel was perfect. Room was clean and modern. Plenty of hot water, refrig, toaster, coffee maker and the kicker "TV".
I emailed the hotel, they in turned called me to make the reservation. All was very easy. We've stayed at other hotels on isla. This was just too easy. Close to the shopping and restaurants on Hildago St. A great place at night. A few short blocks to the beach. If you are searching for a nice hotel. This place was wonderful.

• Stayed February 2006

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2006

Had an absolutely great vacation on Isla. Would recommend it to everyone. The hotel was exactly what i wanted. VERY clean and the location could not have been better. The whole island was wonderful. I traveled by myself and met some great people along the way. Everyone was very friendly and helpful. The North beach was spectacular. White sand and crystal clear water. Can't wait to go back again!!!

• Stayed January 2006
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2005

Don't go to Cancu, Go to Isla mujeres first & stay hereWhat a fantastic place. We arrived from Australia - 24hrs direct. We travelled over the seas from Cancun & arrived earlier than usual. The staff booked us right in & then we slept like a log. upon awakening we visited the restaurant for breakfast. It was simple & easy. The staff were sensational. The room was small but for the price it was excellent. Bathroom was clean, fresh linen (yes, linen) everyday, fresh towels, what a paradise. We sat on the Norte with crystal water & white sand drinking beer & margaritas. The island was overall a real pleaseure to visit. Mexico itself was great but Isla Mujeres was overall the best. Bravo to the staff. Construction was on going but over the hotel presented itself splendidly. Will recommend to any person I meet who is going to Cancun. Go there instead...

• Stayed December 2004
Austin, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2005

I've just returned from a stay at the El Meson del Bucanero, and I really enjoyed it. It's not luxury lodgings, but it's terrific quality for the price. My room was one of the cheapest--#203--and was very small, but perfect for one person. Strong AC, simple but attractive decor, and a complimentary continental breakfast. The hotel has a lovely ambiance with open hallways, soft yellow walls, wood trim and arched doorways. Also, the staff were unfailingly polite and welcoming. The location is only three or four blocks from one of the best beaches I've ever seen, and right in the middle of the picturesque downtown, which is very pretty in the evening. I would recommend getting a room in the back, though, since I suspect the noise from the street at night might be bothersome. All in all, I would definitely return to this place!

• Stayed July 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2005

We stayed in room #303 (for $35 per night in May 05), which is actually on the forth floor. The room is very small with a double bed pushed against one wall. The bed was plenty large for two slim people. Not the softest, but I didn't come expecting especially soft mattresses in basic hotels in Mexico. There were also a locker ($40 security deposit in cash is required which is returned when you checkout),a dresser with drawers and hangers, a mirror, a small table, a chair and a small flat screen TV. It was a corner room with two full sized windows and the ocean could be seen in the distance, with some rustic roofs in between. Room had both a ceiling fan and a/c, which was quiet, new and worked very well. Bathroom was quite spacious to compare to some I had in Parisian hotels and featured a shower cabin with sliding doors. It was as big as the one I have at home. Water pressure was adequate and we always had hot water. Everything was kept very clean and everything was in great condition. Hotel was maintained well and seemed rather new.
My understanding is that rooms 103 and 203 are similar to the one we stayed in.
Some may find this room too small, but it was fine with us, since we only spent time there when we were asleep. They have bigger rooms with one bed and even bigger with two double beds for slightly higher rates.
Location is right on Hidalgo across the street from hotel Belmar and Rolandi's Restaurant and it would take about three small blocks to walk down to Playa Norte - about five minutes at a leisurely pace.
They offered us a free bottle of wine, two cocktails and continental breakfasts each day, which were nice when we were in a hurry. It included a fruit plate or juice, coffee or tee and three slices of toast with jam.
I’d recommend this hotel to any budget conscious traveler – it comes with all the necessary amendments, is nicely situated and seems quieter than hotel Belmar may be, since rooms in hotel Belmar may be getting some restaurant noise, though we didn’t stay there, we only ate there, so I can’t compare. We didn’t get any street noise in our Bucaneros room at night. I’d stay in Bucaneros again without hesitation.
Excellent for the price. It seemed to be one of the top choices on the island at that price range.
They have a website: ------
where you can check current rates.

• Stayed May 2005
Down the Shore, Barnegat, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2005

Just got back from 4 great nites on the Island and stayed at a super place...El Bucaneros. The hotel was very clean and had a super location downtown on Ave Hildago. The hotel staff was always very friendly and accomodating. We had a minor water problem but it was taken care of by the afternoon. Our room was small but you really don't spent any time there except for sleeping and showering. We paid for our room in advance and rec'd a continnental breakfast every morning (Coffee, fresh juice and toast), a welcome cocktail of our choice and a great bottle of wine (which they let us take home). Try and get a room on the first or 2nd floor, it's a hike to the third floor but you can catch beautiful sunrises from the top. Just a short walk to the beautiful beach and great restaurants are just out the front door. The hotel is also a restaurant, good food, poor service but we found poor service through out the island. Try and rent a golf cart and travel the island. We had a blast and spent the afternoon at El Garafon Nat'l Park,an absolutely beautiful place... Looking forward to a return trip and would definitely consider staying at the same hotel. You can e-mail me if you have any questions.

• Stayed March 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2005

I stayed at the Bucanero in November of 2000 and can't forget my nearly two week stay on the island. I have been counting the days until I return. For $20 a day, I stayed in the smallest room this hotel has to offer with no A/C and a cable TV that rarely had reception. My room was very clean and served its purpose well. The staff at the hotel seemed to adopt me as one of their own and the maid would fold the clothes I had left laying on my bed or over the desk chair. The hotel is a short walk from North Beach. I made this walk so many times the local business owners began to acknowledge my presence on the island. At the end of my stay, I almost felt like I was leaving home. I'm sure there are nicer places to stay on the island, but for authenticity and true value, you can't beat the Bucanero.

Been to Hotel Bucaneros? Share your experiences!